Rose Wilson: The Ravager #13

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By rav4

Previous Chapters: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic/8/ravager4s-fan-fic-archives/660884/#1

Disclaimer: I do not own any DC characters or locations. All rights belong to DC Comics.

Rating: T+

Note: And thus, the second story arc comes to an end. This particular chapter ended up being a good bit longer than normal, but it was necessary since, if I had separated it into two separate ones, then they both would have been really short chapters. Plus it lets me move into the next arc, which I'm pretty sure I have almost all set to start writing.

Rose Wilson: The Ravager #13

Ext. Pavoni's Mansion – Early Morning

The hulking beast that is Blockbuster takes a few steps forward, glaring and grinning at Ravager. He growls a real, bestial growl, then full on roars as he charges at her, swinging his massive arm like a club. Ravager reacts instantly, grabbing Holly and pulling the girl out of the way while dodging the incoming strike. Blockbuster is a lot faster and a lot stronger than the previous metas she fought, but fortunately she still has a speed advantage, if only a marginal one. Her precog and reflexes are really going to have to work on overdrive if she wants to get out of this alive.

Ravager: Holly, run. Get as far away from here as you can.

The girl looks up at her in a panic, pulling at her arm.

Ravager: I can't really leave with you right now, just go!

Blockbuster rushes in at her again, growling. Ravager runs away from Holly, leading the monster in a different direction; it's her that he's after, not Holly.

Ravager: Holly, just run!

Finally, the little girl manages to sprint around the pool and across the lawn. With her arms still clutching onto her teddy bear in a death grip, she races through the newly made hole in the wall and disappears. Ravager flips backward to evade another attack by Blockbuster, but her landing is unsteady, causing her to tumble backward to the ground. In top form, she'd have a much greater chance against this beast, but she's currently suffering from a gunshot wound and a body battered by an explosive shock wave. She can feel her balance thrown off, and her legs throb hard, as though she's just run a marathon.

Running up to the downed Ravager, Blockbuster raises both fists above his head and brings them crashing down at her. She rolls to the side, just managing to avoid the incoming strike, which shakes the ground upon impact. Reacting quickly, Ravager draws one of her blades and slashes it at the monster's arm, but barely leaves a mark. She draws blood, yes, but what would have normally been a limb-removing cut on a normal person is about the equivalent of a paper cut to him.

Ravager: Well sh*t.

Blockbuster continues his attack, swinging his arm around again at her. She ducks, then flips forward over his second arm, landing on the other side of him. Taking her blade in both hands, she hacks at his knee cap, trying to go for the more vulnerable points on his body now. However, the attack again barely affects him, drawing only a small trickle of blood. As she attempts a followup attack, Ravager is suddenly caught off guard by a sudden kick from Blockbuster, swinging his leg upward and nailing her injured shoulder. Instantly, she takes off through the air, crashing into a nearby gazebo.

F**k, that's a broken arm.

Rolling out of the collapsed wooden structure, Ravager forces herself back to her feet, while holding her limp arm and gritting her teeth. Fortunately, the broken arm is the one already weakened by the gunshot; if it had been her only good arm, then she'd really be in trouble. Still, things aren't looking good and they're only getting worse. Blockbuster leaps at her, threatening to land right on top of her and smash her into the ground. Ravager moves fast and rolls forward just in time, narrowly avoiding the monster's feet as he crashes back to earth.

Blockbuster follows with another couple of smashing fists, driving them into the ground, as he tries to crush her again. Her enhanced reflexes and her precognition are the only things keeping him from hitting her right now, but she knows she can't keep this up forever. Her body is starting to feel more sluggish, and the pain is only getting stronger. If she doesn't figure out a way to end this soon, she's a goner.

Ravager dives out of the way of another attack, then has to lurch backwards to avoid another. In the process, her feet slip out from beneath her, causing her to fall suddenly to her backside. Blockbuster doesn't miss the opportunity, reaching down with both hands and scooping her up into his grasp. With a chuckling growl, he starts squeezing harder and harder, holding her up close to his face so he can watch her pained reaction.

A scream emerges from Ravager's throat, as she feels her bones beginning to cave under the pressure. A few more moments and they'll likely shatter, with Blockbuster mushing her into a bloody paste. But she can't let that happen, she won't let it happen. She manages to wriggle her good arm free, then reaches back and draws her other sword. What she has in mind is pure conjecture, but she doesn't have a whole lot of options remaining. Clenching her jaw tightly, she thrusts the blade forward at the monster's face, driving the point straight through his right eye socket. While most of his body is highly durable, some parts of him still must be squishy, and his eyes prove to be one of them.

With a howl of sudden pain, Blockbuster drops his victim and holds one of his massive hands up to his face. He falls to a knee, shaking his head and beating his other fist against the ground in frustration; he likely never expected that something could actually hurt him, if he can even think for himself at all. Upon falling back to the ground, Ravager takes a moment to catch her breath, using her sword as an anchor to push herself back up to her feet.

Ravager: I have had... just about... enough of this.

Moving around his thrashing arm, she lunges straight up at his chest and stabs her sword at where his heart should be. The blade strikes his hard flesh and sinks in only a third of the way, likely not reaching anything vital on this monster. Still, it causes Blockbuster pain, as he falls back and howls again, while lifting his hand to grasp at the weapon lodged in his chest. That's the moment Ravager is waiting for; the second that his big palm raises up in front of the sword's handle, she charges forward again throws herself against the back of his hand as hard as she can.

The abrupt force causes Blockbuster's palm to lurch against his chest, driving the blade straight through his body and out the other side. The monster blinks a couple times in shock, staggering backwards and falling to the ground. He opens his mouth as if to growl or utter some other sound of agony, but nothing comes out except a blood-filled cough. After a few long moments, Blockbuster finally falls down to his back, lying motionlessly.

Ravager: A**hole.

Feeling the adrenaline from battle start to drain from her body, Ravager falls down to the ground herself, sitting there and breathing heavily. Her broken arm screams in pain, while the rest of her is completely exhausted and wiped, barely able to hold herself up. At least now... now she can catch that breather she'd been wanting.

Or not.

Jerry appears in front of her now, holding a simple handgun and pointing it straight at her head. Under normal circumstances, she'd be able to disarm him and have him begging for mercy in a matter of seconds, but right now she can barely raise her gaze to look at him, never mind jump up and attack.

Jerry: It would be so easy to kill you right now, and after all the trouble you've caused, I really should.

Ravager: So what... the hell are you waiting for?

He stares at her for a few moments, firelight from the burning mansion glinting off his glasses. Eventually, he lifts the gun away from her and take a step back.

Ravager: The hell are you doing?

Jerry: Letting you live.

Surprised, Ravager takes in a few deep breaths before she's able to utter a response.

Ravager: Not that I'm complaining... but why?

Jerry: Killing you now would be in poor taste. You're a worthy adversary, Rose; I won't dishonor you by putting you down like a dog.

Ravager: Says the man who tried to blow me up.

Jerry: Yes, and you still survived that. Then, even weakened, you triumphed over Blockbuster, as well. You're impressive, very impressive. Putting a bullet in your head while you can't even stand would just be a waste. Consider this a reward for your feats this past night.

Ravager: You realize I'll still bring you down if I ever see you again.

Jerry: Of course I do, Rose, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Now, you may want to gather your strength and get out of here; this is a secluded location, yes, but home explosions don't exactly go unnoticed for long. The authorities will be arriving shortly.

Ravager: Sh*t.

Grunting, she slowly manages to push her way up to her feet, staggering there for a few moments before she's able to start walking again.

Jerry: Oh, and that girl, Holly? I do believe you should go find her before she gets lost in the woods that she ran into. You went through all this trouble to save her, after all.

Ravager: We'll meet again, Jeremiah, count on it.

On that parting note, she turns and hurries away from the burning property, heading out through the hole in the wall that Holly had gone through. In her weakened state, she struggles to keep her balance, half running and half hobbling, but she pushes herself. Holly is still counting on her.

Jerry: Oh, I am, Rose. Believe me, I am.

Ext. Wooded Location – Morning

Ravager: Holly! Holly!

Taking deep, slow breaths, Ravager pushes herself through the forest, stumbling over fallen trees, sliding down hills, and trudging through a small swamp. She's been out here for nearly half an hour, wandering aimlessly through these woods in search of the young girl, who could be anywhere by now. Still, she isn't going to give up. She can't, no matter what.

Ravager: Holly!

Still nothing. Even if Holly can hear the calls, she can't answer. The best that Ravager can hope for is that they stumble across each other, or that she sees the girl somewhere through the trees. Pushing herself beyond her limits, she starts crawling her way up another will, her breaths growing quicker and raspier. Suddenly, her legs give out, plunging her face first against the ground. A surprised groan bursts from her lungs, as she slides back down to the bottom of the hill. Rolling over onto her back, she stares up at the sky through the forest canopy; everything is spinning.

Ravager: Holly...

Get up, Rose, come on. She tries to move, but her body refuses, remaining motionless. Goddamn it, get up, you lazy b***h! She's counting on you!

But she can't, her body simply doesn't obey her mental commands. She has finally pushed herself well beyond what she should, and her muscles decided to lock up on her. All she can do is lie there, staring at the spinning sky, while consciousness gradually leaves her. As the world goes dark, she swears that she sees something out of the corner of her eye, a small figure approaching her. Before she can even begin to wonder if something is really there or if she's just seeing things, she passes out cold.

Ravager awakens several hours later. She blinks a few times, glancing around wearily and then trying to get up. Her entire body seizes with a paralyzing pain the moment that she attempts to move, eliciting a sharp gasp from her lips. Dropping her head back down, she takes in deep breaths and tries again, this time doing so slowly, gradually. She manages to raise herself into a sitting position, but no farther.

Sh*t, I feel like I just went ten rounds with Superman.

A second later, she becomes aware that she isn't alone. Turning her gaze to her side, she notices a small young girl with blond hair nestled against her, fast asleep. Her heart immediately skips about three beats in pure relief.

Ravager: Holly... you found me. Good girl.

She lets out a small laugh of disbelief and then collapses back against the ground. She found Holly, but there are still a few problems with the current situation. One, she can barely move. Two, they're lost somewhere in the middle of a thick forest. Three, as day goes on and the sun starts to fall, the temperature will go down, and neither of them are really dressed to survive a cold night lying there in the woods. Realizing the severity of the circumstances, she knows she has no other choice.

Really,reallynever wanted to have to use this.

Carefully, she reaches into one of the small compartments on her belt. She certainly doesn't have as versatile a utility belt as, say, Batman, but she does keep a few things of importance in there for when the occasion arises. She finally manages to pull out a small, round communicator. Dick had given to her when she left, telling her to call him if she ever needed anything. She really had planned on never using it, not wanting to go running to Dick whenever she had a problem. Right now, however, she doesn't have much of a choice. She just hopes it's still functional, after what she's been through today.

Ravager: Come on, come on... work you piece of-

Her words cut off when the communicator begins hissing with static, which quickly cuts out and is replaced by a familiar voice.

Dick/Comm: Rose, is that you?

Ravager: Ha... what do you know, it still works. You sure build them to last.

Dick/Comm: What do you need? Is something wrong?

Ravager: Oh, you could say that... listen, I'm gonna need, well... a favor. How fast can you get that Bat-Jet of yours here for a pickup?

A brief silence follows before she receives a response.

Dick/Comm: According to your coordinates, it says you're almost 300 miles away from here.

Ravager: Yeah, so sue me, just answer the damn question.

Dick/Comm: A couple hours at the most, shorter if I hurry. Why, what's wrong?

Ravager: Look, I'll explain when you're on your way, if you really want me to. Just hurry up, okay? I... really need some help right now.

Dick/Comm: Alright, I'll be there as soon as I can. Just hold on.

Ravager: Trust me, I'm not going anywhere.

Int. Silverstone City General Hospital – Night

It took an hour and a half from when Rose first called Dick to come get her before he finally arrived, and another hour after that to get her in a change of clothes, come up with a story, and then transport both her and Holly to the hospital to get looked at. Only when Rose knew that the young girl was being taken care of did she allow herself to be treated, pumped up so full of pain medication that she passed out for about six hours.

When she finally awakens, Rose takes in a deep breath and slowly opens her eyes, blinking away the blurriness. The hospital room is dark, yet strangely inviting; then again, after lying for several hours in a forest, even her old apartment would be inviting right now. Letting out a long yawn, she raises up her unbroken arm and holds it to her forehead, trying to fight the dull throbbing between her ears.

Dick: Finally awake?

Still yawning, Rose takes a look over to the corner of the room, where Dick sits calmly in a chair. He gives her a small wave when she sees him.

Rose: You're still here? Figured you'd have been back to Gotham ages ago.

Dick: I wanted to make sure things went smoothly, no complications or anything. I've been answering police questioning all day.

Rose: They bought that I found Holly in a back alley, being assaulted by some random street thugs?

He nods.

Dick: And that they roughed you up when you tried to help her; explains the broken arm and the gunshot, as well as the internal bleeding.

Rose: And then you showed up and ran the goons off. Huh, almost didn't think that would work. So, how is the girl, anyway?

Dick: Just fine. Her injuries were pretty minor, just some scrapes and cuts... well, and the internal scarring.

A long breath escapes her lips, eyes closing for a moment. She forces down the numb lump forming in her throat.

Rose: That poor kid's been through more than any child should have to. I hope that b**tard Pavoni rots in hell for what he did to her.

Dick: About that... you weren't the one that blew up his house, right?

Rose: That's what I said, isn't it?

Dick: Yes, and I believe you. Just checking; turns out the fire left his body so scorched, that determining the cause of death is going to be nearly impossible, if it wasn't the explosion itself.

Rose: Huh, imagine that.

Folding his arms across his chest, Dick's eyes slowly narrow at her.

Dick: Yeah... imagine that.

Rose: So, if Holly's alright now, did her family come by to pick her up yet? They were probably worried sick about her.

A brief pause lingers in the air, as Dick hesitates to respond.

Rose: Something wrong?

Dick: The girl, Holly... she doesn't have a family.

Rose: What? You're telling me she has no family? No parents, cousins, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles.... nothing?

Dick: That's exactly what I'm saying. Her full name is Holly Anne Sanders; her parents died in a car crash four years ago, and she was an only child. Most of her extended family passed on before she was even born, and those that are left are either in prison or in no way fit to take care of a child. She was in the foster system before her disappearance.

Rose: Wait, so... so she was a foster kid? Well, who was looking after her, huh? Shouldn't they be here?

Dick: The couple that was taking care of Holly before isn't... available anymore. Somewhere along the road, their life took a downward spiral. Drugs, alcohol, domestic disputes, things like that. They didn't even report Holly as missing until a week after it happened. Right now, they're being held up on a laundry list of charges, not the least of which includes negligent endangerment of a child.

Holding her hand back up to her head, Rose closes her eye for a moment and lets out a small groan. Her headache is starting to get worse.

Rose: Then, what now? What's going to happen to her?

Dick: Well, she's in court custody at the moment. I imagine they'll insert her back into the foster system soon.

Rose: What? So she can end up in another sh*t hole like the last on? No, no way! After what she's been through, she deserves better!

Dick: Rose, I wish there was something else we could do for her, but that's the way things work. She has no place else to go.

A long pause follows. Rose takes a deep breath, carefully thinking the situation over. She can't just let them throw Holly back into foster care, not after how it had treated her before. Eventually, she comes to a wild, snap decision. It's a long shot, but to her, it makes sense.

Rose: What if I looked after her? Doesn't have to be permanent, just temporary, at least until something else can be done.

Dick: Rose, I don't really think that-

Rose: No, quiet, just hear me out on this, alright? I know I can be a real b***h at times, and I know I don't really have a great track record as a 'people person'. But there are some things I'm serious about, and right now, I'm serious about that girl. She's been through too much for her life to be left up to chance now, and I know I can help her. I... I can do something good for once that doesn't involve punching someone in the face.

Dick: Listen, Rose... I can understand your wanting to help her. But becoming someone's legal guardian isn't something that's accomplished with a snap of your fingers. There's a process, petitions to fill out, court proceedings, they have to determine if you're fit to take care of her, and-

Rose: What, you don't think I'd make a good caretaker?

Dick clears his throat briefly, shifting in his seat.

Dick: It's just... you don't have a job, you don't have any money, you don't have a home, and then there's the dark stuff they'd dig up on you when running a background check... Your current identity and position doesn't exactly fit the right profile.

Rose: Yeah, well... okay, so all that could be a problem. But, maybe you could help me out with that? I mean, you do have the resources to make it happen, and... please, Dick, let me do this. For Holly.

Looking back at her carefully, Dick takes in a deep breath and slowly lets it out. Eventually, he gives a small shrug and holds a hand to his head.

Dick: I know I'm going to regret this, but alright, fine. I'll see what I can do.

A small, satisfied smile forms across her face.

Rose: Thanks, Dick, really. You're... a good friend.

He nods at her again, then standing up from his seat and walking over to the door. Before he leaves, though, he stops and glances back at her.

Dick: Rose, another thing... about how we left things between us last time, I didn't mean to-

Rose: Let me stop your right there. Listen, you were right; I did some thinking on it, and yeah, it never would have worked. I just... I don't know, guess I was feeling emotionally open at the time, and you were being good to me, and... just don't worry about it, alright? It's in the past, case closed.

Dick: You'll find someone eventually, you know.

Rose: Ha! Right. You know anyone who can put up with this personality? The only ones that could are either dead or, well, you.

Dick smiles, a quiet laugh escaping his lips. He gives her another nod, then opens the door to leave.

Dick: Get some rest, Rose. You've earned it.

Int. Rose's Penthouse Suite – Day

Three weeks later...

Rose: So, this is the place, huh?

Dick: Yeah, everything's set up and ready to go for you. Fully furnished, best home security system known to alien and man alike, and all expenses paid for by Wayne Enterprises.

Rose: Not bad, Grayson, not bad. I could get used to this.

They were currently on the top floor of the Silverstone Residential Towers building, which consisted of some of the most expensive apartments in the city. When Rose mentioned that she needed a new place to live, this wasn't what she had been referring to, but she certainly isn't going to start complaining now.

Rose: Holly, come see this, you're gonna love it.

The young blonde haired girl with two different colored eyes pokes her head in the doorway curiously, gazing around in wonder. She's dressed in proper clothes now, a nice blouse and jeans, and real sneakers. Though she can't speak, her wide eyes say it all; she's impressed. Clutching her teddy bear to her chest, she comes farther inside and investigates, eventually hopping up onto the leather sofa and smiling. A few moments later, she finds the remote and turns on the large, flat screen television across from her.

Dick: I think she likes it.

Rose: Certainly seems that way.

It had been a long process going through court and filing petitions to become Holly's legal guardian. The whole thing had really been a pain, but Rose never once considered giving up on it. Dick had really been the one who made it happen, though, setting her up with a completely new, squeaky clean identity, providing everything from birth certificates, a social security number, driver's license, a new bank account, a job, health insurance, the works.

Once that was in order, she had been able to start the court proceedings, which involved everything from paperwork to private interviews with both her and Holly, making sure that this was something they both wanted. Though Holly hadn't known her new caretaker for very long, Rose did more good for her than anyone else had in a long time. Rather than face the unknown of foster care again, the girl had accepted Rose's offer to become her legal guardian.

Dick: That's not all, though, follow me.

Giving him a curious look, Rose walks after him; he leads her into the bedroom.

Rose: And here I thought we put that behind us. But now isn't the best time to change your mind, Dick, there's a kid in the other room.

Dick: Very funny.

Heading to the far wall, he enters a numbered code on a small security panel, causing a section to swing around. On the other side of the wall, now facing them, is Rose's Ravager gear, everything from her full costume, including a backup, to various swords, masks, and a few other unknown gadgets. Rose's lips begin to curl into a pleased grin.

Rose: Grayson, you really know how to make a girl all tingly.

Dick: I'll keep that in mind. Go ahead and take a look, though, I've gone and given your stuff a few upgrades.

Acknowledging his suggestion, she takes a walk over to the equipment wall and examines her armor and weapons.

Rose: What kinds of upgrades?

Dick: Well, for starters, I took the liberty of finally outfitting your armor with some Kevlar materials, or a mix really. Some Kevlar, some Promethium mesh. Point is, you're now as bulletproof as Batman.

Rose: These swords look sharper, too.

Dick: They are, about 500% sharper, to be exact. Filed them down with some of WayneTech's top laser sharpening tools; they'll cut through things like steel, concrete, stone... well, most normal materials really. Still won't help against the really tough stuff, but at least they're more effective than your average blades. Just be careful with them, don't want any accidents.

Smirking, Rose gently runs her thumb against one of the blades; her skin barely even touches the edge before she feels the sting, followed by a trickle of blood.

Rose: You know there's no way I can pay you back for all of this, right?

Dick: Don't worry about it. You just do what you do best, stop the bad guys.

She gives him a firm nod.

Rose: You can count on that. If anything good came out of my run in with Pavoni, it's that I learned just what kind of crap goes on in this city. Well, now they have someone who's going to clean it up.

Dick: I'll hold you to it.

Reaching forward, Dick extends his hand. She returns the gesture, shaking it and taking in a deep breath.

I hope you're ready, Silverstone City. There's a new hero in town, and her name is Rose Wilson.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter #14 Preview: Rose is now officially the new vigilante of Silverstone, but is the city ready for a do-gooder that acts outside the law? Her new activities are bound to pick up some attention, both from law enforcement and the media. How will her presence affect crime in Silverstone, and just what is her new day job? All those questions and more will be answered in the next chapter, which picks up six months into Rose's new crime fighting career!

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By batkevin74

@Ravager4: Nice ending to your arc, well it seems like the logical conclusion. Only thing I didn't really like is Dick upgrading her swords, for some reason that didn't gel with me as something he'd do. Damien yes but Dick would maybe of given her tazer-swords that can't kill or something like that. Bah minor gripe on my part that doesn't actually effective your story. Good job!

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By rav4

@batkevin74: True, and I actually thought about having him do something like that. But then it was Tim that introduced the laser swords to her the first time around, and she plain ditched those once she found out they couldn't cut flesh. Plus, at this point he trusts her well enough not to abuse real swords, and trusts her skill with them to know she won't go gutting random street thugs (having come a long way since her earlier days, when she would have done something like that). It's like they were talking about in the very first issue, Dick essentially uses shuriken with his batarangs, which can be just as lethal. It's all about how you use the weapon, though.

Plus, if she ever found herself in a situation like going up against Blockbuster again, taser swords would probably get her killed real fast.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By batkevin74

@Ravager4: You make a good point, ah unintentional sword pun :)

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rav4

@batkevin74: yeah right, that was so intentional

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By CapFanboy

@Ravager4: I was actually reading all of these yesterday and I have to say I find them brilliant! Keep it up!

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rav4

@CapFanboy: Thanks! Glad you're enjoying them :)

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By CapFanboy

@Ravager4: No problem