Marvel Mayhem: The Initiative #1

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Initiative #0

Notes: Spoilers for issue 0. Seriously you have been warned! Also 'Tony' Stark will simply be referred to as Stark from now on to avoid confusion. Peace out!

"Are you ready for this?"

Michael Van Patrick nodded nervously. To be honest he wasn't ready. He was terrified of what lay beyond him behind that curtain. He glanced at the armored figure staring down at him.

"So... you're War Machine?" Michael asked. The man's head shook.

"Not anymore kid. That's what this whole thing is about. At the moment you call me Rhodes. When we get to the camp you call me SIR."

"Sure thing." Michael rolled his eyes.

"-And THAT ladies and gentlemen is why I'm very proud to introduce to you the latest hero in America's defense... the Iron Patriot!" A voice from beyond the curtain rang out. Rhodes carefully pushed his way out of the curtain and stepped into the light with three other figures. Michael shivered. He was the last one left. He listened carefully to the voice's every word.

"Thank you everybody for your support." Rhodes said calmly through the metallic hum of his battle suit. "If any of you were wondering NO I am NOT Captain America." Polite laughter came from the crowd. Michael smiled. "I know that many people out there will disagree with what I'm about to reveal. Whatever. It's a free country and people are entitled to their own opinion. For a few years now we've been sweeping something under the carpet. Hoping it will stay hidden. However that is no longer the case." A hush had fallen over the crowd. "Superhuman recklessness caused the Stamford incident and it is OUR duty to make sure something like that never happens again... ah yes. Ms...?"

A female reporter called out. "Mercy Liddle of the Daily Bugle. Mr Patriot are you saying that Congress is finally pushing the Super Human Registration Act?"

"Ah no. I didn't say that. We're not that serious yet. We've decided to attempt to... 'improve' the net generation of heroes." Silence allowed the words to sink in. "Which is why I'm happy to announce the new Avengers Initiative!"

Confused clapping came from the crowd. Michael heard Rhodes' armor stomping around the stage as he went to sit down.

"Yes! I know many of you may be wondering... what exactly IS the Avengers Initiative?" The voice of Tony Stark rang out. "The Avengers Initiative is a training camp created by SHIELD and supervised by members of the Avengers to help make the next generation of heroes the best they can be!"

That was Michael's cue. He took a deep breath as he stepped out onto the stage. He saw the flashing of cameras as he stepped forward and stood next to one of the world's greatest heroes.

"My name is Michael Van Patrick." Michael said calmly. His blue T-Shirt shining out off the stage. "I'm the first recruit of the Avengers Initiative." He smiled as the world smiled with him.

No Caption Provided

Stark Tower, 5 Hours Later...

"It's a hit." Miriam Sharpe said with a smile. A laptop on her lap. "We have over a thousand application forms already."

Stark cracked his fingers as he sipped a glass of water.

"Good. Make sure that SHIELD's tech guys vet each and every one of them. We need to differentiate the true heroes from the terrorists trying to make an example."

Miriam sat down at the table as Stark's trusty butler Jarvis handed her a cup of tea. "That's my end of the line. With all the rookies and SHIELD agents. What about your line of the end? What did 'Earth's Mightiest Heroes' think of the whole idea?"

Stark shrugged. "Some were fine with it. Some aren't bothered. Some people completely hate the idea." He patted the bruise he'd gained from his chat with Wolverine earlier.

Miriam frowned. "Can you give me specifics? Who's on board?"

Stark closed his eyes as he thought about the situation.

"The Avengers are mostly in on the idea. I'm still searching for Hank Pym. I was hoping this would have drawn him out of wherever he's hiding but apparently not... Thor's not bothered. The Hulk's in Tokyo the last I checked. Cyclops and the X-Men are out."

"Out?"

"Not interested. Once I told them this was about prepping super humans for military service and not teaching them the alphabet they had Nightcrawler teleport me out of the mansion."

"Think they could be a problem?"

Stark frowned. "Possibly." He paused. "I'm not sure. How are you doing with the whole 50 State plan?"

"What happened to having everyone cramped in New York?" A voice asked.

Stark turned to see Bucky Barnes walking towards him. He stepped past Jarvis and sat down at the table.

"Barnes..." Stark said as he remembered what Rhodes had told him earlier. "I'm so sorry about Natasha..." He glanced to his right and saw Miriam mouth the words "Who's Natasha?"

Barnes didn't show any emotion. "Did you... did you catch the guy who did it?" He asked.

"It's a work in progress."

Barnes lowered his head.

"Come on." Stark stood up. "I've got something to show you." He patted Barnes on the back as he walked towards the elevator door.

"How did your mission in England go James?" Stark asked as he stood in the elevator. Barnes glanced around nervously.

"What is this Stark?!" he asked. "I came here to talk about this Initiative you've got me signed up for!"

"This..." Stark said calmly as the glass covering the elevator came into view showing the floor below. "This is the future."

Barnes looked out at the floor below. "What the hell's 42?"

No Caption Provided

"PRISON 42. Man of the past. Meet the future." Stark chuckled as the elevator doors opened up to the empty space before them.

To be continued...

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@tommythehitman: Looks like the Raft is antiquated :-(. Notice nobody asked the Thunderbolts of their opinion :-). Whatever the case I have the feeling this will cause trouble

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TommytheHitman
ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: No I don't think so not after SHIELD abandoned them when Seattle was burning

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#6 wildvine  Moderator

@tommythehitman

Nice. Maybe in a future chapter mention Howard flunking as a tutor for some reason. To rude or something. : P

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: Howard would be the best tutor the Initiative ever had! I'm looking forward to getting into this Initiative thing cause it pretty much lets me go ANYWHERE in the Marvel Universe due to the characters I can use!

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#8 wildvine  Moderator
TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depression bump,

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: Oh no. Sorry to hear that. Do you know what's wrong with him because there are times when my dog is sick but actually she's fine she just eaten something she shouldn't have.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: No idea. Not serious but she's in a quiet mood now. Sharp Poodle has survived worse.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: Could just be tired my dog's always quiet after a long day. Take your mind off it by reading some stuff on site.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By TheManInTheShoe

@tommythehitman: I very much like the style of the story. I love most of the characters lol I'me excited to see who else will join.

I also have to remember to note Tony's concern for Hank's absence in the next AAI.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

@tommythehitman: Nice. Good world referencing as well :)

Now may I put Bullseye on Prison 42 for a little while. He won't be there long and he won't be any trouble. But after the GWB thing and since the Raft is, well Icheese is playing with the Raft at the moment. Let me know

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TommytheHitman

@batkevin74: Yeah sure. Anyone who wants to can use Prison 42. Just remember that the Initiative is set in the present day so it could be a couple of months ahead of your book.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: Send him to the Labyrinth. I can write it that he escapes in the current T-Bolts arc where the Masters of Evil are in control of the facility.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TommytheHitman
ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@tommythehitman: ??? What are you frowning about. You decided to set your series in the future. With the Vault gone, Raft overrun and 42 not built it's either the Cube or the Labyrinth. No where else could really hold him, hell nobody else would want him.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman:

@tommythehitman: With the Vault gone, Raft overrun and 42 not built it's either the Cube or the Labyrinth. No where else could really hold him, hell nobody else would want him.

It's only going to be for a while so I am going to send him to the Labyrinth. Cheese can you send me some details/info etc when you get a chance. Tommy, next time he goes to Prison 42

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: Calm yourself young hitman there will always be psychotic killers that need holding in Marvel Mayhem

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By batkevin74

@tommythehitman:

Calm yourself young hitman there will always be psychotic killers that need holding in Marvel Mayhem

He's on route to the Labyrinth. Next time I promise you can lock him up at 42 :)

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

Awesome chapter!! I can't wait to see who will join the initiative next!

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers