Marvel Mayhem: New York's Finest S2 #3

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By batkevin74

Continued from: Marvel Mayhem: New York's Finest S2 #1 and Marvel Mayhem: New York's Finest S2 #2

No Caption Provided

Ryker’s Island, Intensive Care Unit

Dr Elias Wirtham looked over Aleksei Sytsevich’s chart, marvelling that the man was alive. Several weeks ago he’d been on the receiving end of an encounter with Sentry which is why machines were breathing for him.

“There’s very little I can do until he comes out of his coma,” Dr Wirtham turned to Warden John Michaels. “That could be anywhere between right now and years from now. My professional opinion goes towards years due to the swelling of his brain as you can see in this X-ray.”

Warden Michaels scratched his thinning brown hair. “Well that sucks!” Elias raised an eyebrow in concern as Michaels paced the floor typing numbers into his phone. “Let’s say five, no seven years at a guess…round the clock care correct?” Elias nodded. “Add in power, security…food, god he still has to eat even though…god…plus taxes…add in a rising cost of…” Michaels looked at his phone and shook his head.

“Something wrong John?” Elias asked.

“As callous as its going to sound, I wish he was dead!” Michaels blurted out “A waste of time and money to keep him alive. I know, I know, I’m a horrible person but this means I’m going to have to fire at least two maybe three staff members.”

“This is about money?”

No Caption Provided

“Dr Wirtham, it’s always about money! I have a budget allocated by the city which has about zero wiggle room.” Michaels pushed his fingers firmly into his right eye and rubbed it like he was trying to clean his brain of this problem. “We’re overcrowded, understaffed, under the thumb and constantly at breaking point. Add in…” Michaels paused as he watched the doctor. “What are you doing?”

“What’s right,” replied Dr Wirtham as he handed over a freshly signed cheque “Is that enough?”

Michaels gulped “This is a cheque for half a million dollars.”

“By my calculations, enough to provide for my patient and keep your staff members gainfully employed,” Elias smiled. “Now if you’ll excuse me.”

Elias looked at the body of the Rhino. He personally would like to rid the world of this mindless thug and if this were a battle on the street he wouldn’t hesitate. But in his guise as a physician he’d taken an oath and also had a duty of care. For a brief moment he thought about how Dallas would’ve dealt with this before shaking his head and heading for the exit. He hadn’t thought about her in weeks, not since he dealt with her bump from an errant keyboard to the temple. Elias took out his phone and brought up her number.

One Police Plaza

No Caption Provided

Captain Blake Burdick looked at the stunning woman in his office wearing a patrol uniform as he perused her file. “This is quite an impressive resume, Officer Drew. But I don’t get why?”

“I beg your pardon Captain?” Jessica looked at him, trying to understand his line of questioning.

“You’re a former SHIELD agent, why do you want to join Major Crimes?”

Jessica shrugged. “Actually wasn’t my call.”

Burdick walked over to his coffee machine and began making two cups. “You didn’t answer my question Jessica.”

“To be honest, I don’t. My former posting was…well better than this, no offence.”

“None taken,” Burdick smiled “Black? White?”

“Do you have soy?”

“Just like a chessboard,” Blake replied.

“Black please.”

“At least you’re honest.” he handed her a cup. “Major Crimes isn’t like the TV shows and it is a world away from SHIELD. But we do good work and I think you’ll fit in so long as you don’t think you’re above this place.” Jessica went to protest but Blake simply put a finger to his lips. “Your first lesson in Major Crimes is you drink your coffee before it gets cold.”

Jessica couldn’t help but smile as she sipped her drink. Blake moved back to his desk and clicked the mouse on his computer. “Is there a lesson two?”

He looked up. “We wear uniforms for funerals and medal ceremonies, so something else for tomorrow. I’ll get someone to show you around, because today you’re essentially a ghost. Tomorrow I throw you in the deep end. Have a nice day.”

Across the street from Carna Festa

Detectives Danny Granville and Vinnie Evans sat in their unmarked car across from Carna Festa. In recent weeks more and more shady characters had been dining there and Captain D’Angelo had put them on watch just to keep a finger on the pulse.

“You want anything?” asked Danny as he fished for his wallet.

“Just an oj,” Vinnie said as he did the crossword. “And don’t be long.”

“Yes mom!” replied Danny as he headed to the hotdog cart on the corner. Vinnie shook his head and tapped the pen on the paper.

“Four down, seven letters, act of retaliation…” he mused aloud.

“Revenge.”

Vinnie jumped out of his skin as Frank Castle was behind him, a large hand on the back of his neck. “Don’t do anything stupid.”

“Ohmygodohmygod” muttered Vinnie as he contorted in his seat.

“I need information.”

“You punched me in the face!” yelled Vinnie as he tried to break the hold but he didn’t have any leverage. Frank forced him back down easily.

“You were taking a bribe from Tombstone.”

“I WAS UNDERCOVER!” Vinnie rocked the seat in frustration.

Frank released him “Ulysses Lugman.”

“Who?” Vinnie spun around in his seat to face the man known as the Punisher. “And why should I help you?”

“You shouldn’t,” Frank replied “But you will.” He tossed a white card onto the front seat. Vinnie looked down at it, it was just an email address scrawled in black pen and the words The Slug.

“Now…” Vinnie looked around in puzzlement as Frank had vanished from the car, the back door open wide. Vinnie scrambled round and got out as Danny returned with an arm laden with fried snacks.

“DID YOU SEE HIM?”

Danny looked over at the restaurant and then back at Vinnie “Who? Did someone go in? Someone big?”

Detective Evans flicked the card in his fingers as he looked around, catching a glimpse of a big man in a black coat go round the corner. “Nevermind…”

New York State Thruway

The battle van rumbled along, slower than normal mainly due to the excessive weight of the robotic Officer Z.E.R.O onboard. Lieutenant Stone looked at his team.

“We had intel on one of the escaped fugitives from The Raft. This…” He slapped his hand against the computer screen showing their targets face and vitals. “Is Peter Petruski. Aka Paste-Pot Pete. Aka The Trapster.”

“The glue gun guy?” Rigger Ruiz said as she checked her weapon.

“Did anyone pack the nail polish removing cannon?” joked Rassitano getting a high five from Jackson.

“Anyone think this job is a joke,” Stone swung open the battlevan's side door as they travelled along the road. “Can get out now.”

The van went silent. Stone eyeballed them all before he slammed the door shut. “If this was a job for a normal SWAT team, we’d be sitting around Ma & Pa’s! But it’s not! This is a code blue! We are Code: Blue!”

“Yes sir!” they said in unison.

“He’s dangerous, he’s armed and he can fight. Treat him like a joke and you’ll end up…” He paused as he looked at the robot that was once formerly a living breathing member of his team but now brainwaves transferred into a metal shell thanks to a well meaning scientist. “Be careful. Officer Z.E.R.O!”

“Affirmative.”

Stone couldn’t work out if the machine was being sarcastic. “You’ll be our battering ram, the shock to our awe. Rassitano, on the roof for covering fire and as eyes and ears because he may have friends. Jackson, you’re first in followed by Rigger, non-lethal but if your life is in danger then go hot. Majowski, you’re in the van to give chase if need be until we can mount a Gatling gun on your wheelchair. I’ll be round back. Any questions?”

Dr Rizzo slowly raised his hand. “What should I do?”

“Stay in the van and don’t get shot!” snapped Stone as the van approached the roadside motel.

One Police Plaza

Dallas Riordan and Molly Von Richthofen walked Craig Bonzer to the booking station when Dallas caught sight of Captain Burdick and a female patrol officer.

“Who died?” asked Dallas pointing at Officer Drew with an accusing finger as they quickly handed Bonzer over to a uniformed officer who took the confused young man in to be fingerprinted and photographed. The pair walked over to see what was what.

“Nobody,” replied Blake “Officer Jessica Drew, this is…”

“Is she getting a medal?” asked Dallas folding here arms.

“Do you always have to make things such a circus?” Blake said firmly. “Detective Dallas Riordan, Lieutenant Molly Von Richthofen, this is Officer Jessica Drew.”

“Hi!” Molly smiled as she eyed her up and down, before remembering she was a taken lady.

“First day huh?” said Dallas giving her a cheeky wink.

“You’re Dallas Riordan?” Jessica replied “I thought you’d be taller.”

Molly tried not to laugh as Burdick watched the air between Drew and Riordan almost crystallize with the hate glares shooting back and forth. He calmly stepped between them. “Dallas, Jessica is going to shadow you for the rest of the day. Jessica, Dallas is one of the best officers we have. Ladies, play nice. Molly, good luck.”

Captain Burdick walked off leaving the trio to look at each other. Dallas shook her head in disbelief “He’s effing joking. Come on Deputy Drew, we’ll show you how to book a suspect.”

“Oh joy!” breathed Molly as she just knew she’d end up being the referee between the two of them.

Fireheart Hotel, Yonkers

Pete Petruski inserted a homemade card device into the vending machine which made it whir and click like it was having a spasm. He counted to four on his fingers before banging the side of the machine with a sharp deft whack. The door swung open and the card popped out.

“Dinner is served!” he said to the snacks as he gathered up armfuls. He’d been lying low since the Raft escape with Kingsley, his mad brother and the other four but it’d been a while since he’d felt the touch of a woman. So while they all plotted and squabbled about reforming a Sinister Six, Rhino’s smelly farts and with Blue Streak constantly mumbling threats under his breath, he decided to leave under the cover of darkness to get some action. The sound of a vehicle caught his ear and he turned to see a large van pull into the hotel car park. Emblazoned on the side was an ad for Empire State University. He shook his head at the diverse smiling students all having fun and headed back to the room when a massive metallic man leapt from the back of the van and charged towards his room. It moved like a speeding train. As that happened three police officers in riot gear followed it, one scrambling onto the roof of the van with an ominous looking sniper rifle as the other two ran after the robot.

“Oh this isn’t good,” muttered Pete as he ducked behind a column as the robot smashed into his room like a wrecking ball.

OCU, One Police Plaza

“…in prison where they belong! As such I will be unveiling a new agency; the Department of Super Crime Prevention and Control, that will work with the marvels out there to keep you, me and everyone else safe from the threat of super crime.”

“He’s lost his mind,” said Detective Jack Brennan as he watched the announcement by the President on television. “Can’t wait to hear what Riordan has to say about this.”

“Say about what?” said Dallas as she entered the room with Molly and Jessica in tow. “This Deputy Drew is the Organised Crime Unit.”

“I saw the sign,” replied Jessica through clenched teeth. Dallas had been an excellent patronising tour guide through the building pointing out the water cooler, the carpet and other things. Jessica was doing her best to keep her anger in check.

“The President has just created a new department,” said Jack as he slowly stood his neck still in a brace from where Tombstone nearly took his head off. “Department of Super Crime Prevention and Control.”

“The effing what?” Dallas shook her head. “They replacing SHIELD?”

“Looks like they’re replacing US!” replied Brennan. “Something about integrating costumed people into the force. Kinda like what Stone did with Luke Cage.”

“Rage,” corrected Molly as she recalled the young man who saved her life. “His name is Rage, not Luke Cage.”

“They all look the same!”

“That’s racist!” snapped Jessica making both Dallas and Molly jump a little and Brennan quite a bit.

“Whoa lady,” eased Jack “I meant in terms of costume not skin tone.”

“And this Deputy Drew, is Detective Jack Brennan,” said Dallas “He’s a bit of an idiot! Bit like the President.”

Sunshine Estate, Bridgeport Connecticut

James Riordan leant on his cane as he looked at the policewoman standing at his door. “Can I help you?”

“Mr Riordan?”

“Yes.”

“Father of Dallas Riordan?”

“Yes! What’s going on? Is she okay?” James’ hand went for the cell phone in the custom holster by his side. The policewoman slowly took off her hat to reveal her bald head.

“There’s been an accident.”

“Oh god!” The elderly man clutched his chest.

“May I come in?”

TO BE CONTINUED...

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

@batkevin74: Wow you can smell the hate coming off the Dallas + Jessica relationship. Noticed a typo just under the italic text but it isn't major. Always love this title, imoresses everytime.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Fixed said typo (watch into what). Glad you're liking it, as it's fun to write and almost episodic in nature with each part of the force getting some "screen" time

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: I definitely enjoy reading this title and all others in the group. Oh and by any chance is the bald woman the character mentioned on the PM?

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

I like the concept. It's written well.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

@batkevin74: I got to read this a couple days after it was posted, sorry just hadn't had a chance to comment.

Once again, good job. I don't really have anything to say in the way of criticism. I'm just enjoying getting to see where the story is going.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumped