Marvel Mayhem: Doubt #3

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By ImpurestCheese

Want more from Marvel Mayhem? Check out the Library and the Group's Facebook Page

All Characters are owned by Marvel Comics

Alaskan Wilderness

Karen clutched Raven close as Anna Marie Marconi handed her a set of clothes that would fit the young girl. Now clad in a T-Shirt logged with Doctor Octopus saying ‘Superior What?’ and a pair of jeans Raven looked adorable, not that it mattered to Karen and her newly awoken maternal instincts.

“And you found her out in the woods?” Anna asked as Karen walked across the walkway between the huts into the common area where the rest of the survey team were located.

No Caption Provided

“Yes and these horrible men with swords locked her in a cave to die.” Karen cooed as she put Raven down on a bench next to Kai, the Native American woman talking softly on the phone, while twisting her braided hair with her free hand.

“I didn't like them.” Raven stated as she touched Kai on the elbow. “Not like you you're pretty.” She stated as Kai looked at her with forest green eyes. Looking down at the child Kai saw something different entirely and shuddered. “Especially your eyes.” Raven stated as Kai got up and walked into the kitchen.

“Yes, yes Thomas can you send Stephan a message.” Kai stated as she stole a glance into the common area. “You're the Puma figure a way inside. Listen I sent you an email with some pictures, a rune that I didn't recognise; it looks almost like Proto Norse. Hopefully he can tell you what it means and where it comes from.” She added as she saw Raven stare back at her. “And hurry things are getting creepy up here.” Turning Kai ran her hand under the sink only to see her reflection shimmer and morph into a dark haired porcelain skinned woman with magenta eyes.

”What…who are you?” Kai stammered as the woman reached a soaking wet hand out of the water and placed a finger over her lips. “I don't understand….” she stammered, “…what do you want?” She sobbed.

“My favourite cooking pan.” An accented voice answered. “Apparently the little princess wants fried breakfast; at least that’s what Rick told me.”

“That child is evil.” Kai whispered in Chef’s ear at the same moment a crow slammed into the window.

“What was that?” Rick asked. “Raven sweetie stay here, we’ll check it out.” He added as Karen and he put on thick Arctic parkas and stepped out into the snow. Heading round the back of the hut they found the stunned crow, as well as the gory halo of red surrounding it. Reaching down Karen lifted the bird to find a still beating human heart hidden beneath the cover of black feathers. Picking up the organ she ran her index finger over the surface and raised the blooded tip to her mouth.

“Karen stop!” Rick yelled. “What the hell are you doing?”

“I don’t know!” Karen cried, “I just had this hunger, one I couldn't resist.”

“It’s the storm, cabin fever is setting in already I can see it in the others eyes.” Rick told her. “But we have to think about our daughter.”

“I was.” Karen whispered as they headed inside as the snow whipped around them to reveal a trio of women standing in the snow.

“This child could be part of the unholy trinity we are looking for.” The first announced. “She is a dark force indeed and unlike our dearly departed sisters we will not sink to accept jobs from Hecate and her ilk.”

“Indeed.” The second stated. “But it is still too early to strike. She has protectors and their minds are not yet added. There will be a better time to strike.”

“So we wait.” The third purred. “The Trinity will watch and wait until the witch child is vulnerable and then destroy her taint.”

Strange Sanctorum, New York City

No Caption Provided

“Thank you for bringing this to my attention Mr Fireheart.” The robed figure of Dr Strange told his cat-like visitor, as the pair was lead down a stone spiral staircase into the basement. “While I disprove of your moral stance this rune is most troubling indeed. Where did you find it may I ask?”

“A friend found it on the shoulder of a girl in Alaska.” Puma answered as Wong pushed open the door at the bottom of the stair-case to reveal an exquisite library, the walls lined with tomes and scrolls. “It looks to be some kind of ritual scarification but I can tell you little beyond that.”

“It is more then that.” Dr Strange stated as he held his hand out and a thick book floated towards him, its cover emblazoned with runes and sigils. “It’s not Proto Norse as you identified but rather the tongue of the Serpent, an ancient and evil order within the forces of Asgard.”

“The hammers from a few years back.” Puma gasped. “This rune is connected to that event?”

“Yes and No, this rune is akin to the ones carried by the worthy but it has its own power.” Dr Strange explained. “In modern tongues it reads as Doubt, Herald of the Serpent, it is strange however, that it would reappear after the beasts attack though.”

“Is it dangerous?”

“Yes, quite dangerous if exposed to a large number of people for Doubt sows fear, paranoia, envy and a wide range of other emotions. From what you have mentioned it is contained at the moment.” Strange told him. “It will not stay that way forever though; we must contain it before it spreads.”

“How do you combat an emotion though?” Puma asked.

“You lock it away from the world, dampening its effect. If only my Secret Defenders were still willing to take my calls…” Strange sighed.

“Don’t worry about that Doctor.” Puma purred. “My Outlaws can be in Alaska within eight hours. It’s not the Avengers and we may operate in the grey area but I can assure you they will fight against this thing.”

“It’s not who they are that bothers me, it’s what makes them that.” Strange stated. “Doubt embraces us all, she will twist the minds of anyone close to her until they don’t resemble the people they were. Already she gathers power from us, this isn't a battle of fists and weapons it’s one of the mind, and it’s one she is already winning.”

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@impurestcheese: Good stuff. I mean, there are a lot of ties to continuity which I like. I don't really understand any of the references (besides superior spider man) but I liked it. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: As long as you enjoyed it. It's fine

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#5 wildvine  Moderator

@impurestcheese:

Cool story. Didn't expect it to tie in with the Kate story.

Also, you wrote "sweaty" where you meant "Sweetie" and cat like should be cat-like. Otherwise its fine.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@wildvine: Thanks for the comment. It ties into Miami Vice a little bit since the women looking to kill Raven are from the same order of assassins (Trinity) Hecate hired to kill Coleen and Jennifer. Also we should have the next issue of Weird Sisters next week just for those who love that title.

Avatar image for thespiritstalker
TheSpiritStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

I like how you capture the character of Dr. Strange. I think this is some of your best writing.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers