Is my character good? I named him Super-Nova

blazersports

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By blazersports

Be Honest, I made a character that I think is really cool. I have a description and a picture of him... Please reply if you agree with me! :) I'm only a novas drawer so ya I know his head is a little wonky. :P

No Caption Provided

Origin: Super-Nova

Jimmy-Nova

A genius 24 year old at University was working in the science lab. He made a mixture of particles from an exploding star (or supernova) and chemicals. He drank this mixture and felt nothing. This mixture was supposed to give great intellect. He continued working and once the day was over he went home. The next morning he woke up and felt different. All throughout the day he felt different. As the day ended the bus home missed him. He chased the bus with great speed. Thinking of the day before he tested these newly discovered powers. He was able to levitate, travel at great speeds and had super human strength. He could also make a flash and disappear from sight in an explosion of fire. Three months passed before he could use his powers again. A lost astronaut had come back from space after being saved by NASA. This man was no longer ordinary. He was terrorizing Los Angeles. He decided tom put his powers to use and fight him. He was not the only one who heard of this for many heroes and villains siding and fighting him came from around the world. Including: Venom, Carnage, Abomination, Iron Monger and Red Skull. The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America, Spider-Man and Scarlet-Spider also went. Unknowing that the terror they faced was a man of great power named Vengeance , who could blend in with his surrounding and hide his stench, had super human strength, speed, telekinesis and was full of rage.

So give me your honest opinion so i can improve. :) thanks!

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Jorgevy

he drank a mixture of star particles and chemicals?

mix of star particles and chemicals

star particles and chemicals

W T H!

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Enosisik

^ lol. The science is a bit off but it sounds good :) He looks a lot like spider-man but I like his powerset . Instead of star particles it would be better to say that it was a mystery blend made by some kind of accident. Maybe his villain was a class mate who was mad over the attention he was getting for his experiment and the villain mixed unknown chemicals to try to destroy the experiment - then the next day he drinks it or there is a massive explosion which creates him. Kinda a sentry/lex Luther/dr.doom /reed Richards type story. ___ maybe you have the villain try to duplicate it but turns himself into some kind of monster instead of a hero .

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Yeah, the science needs a bit of work.

Small little pet peeve of mine: don't make his real name ironic. "Jimmy Nova" just kinda sounds like the guy was born to be a superhero.

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Enosisik

Lol I hate that too. Dc drives me nuts with all the ironic and generic names for characters.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AweSam

@Jorgevy said:

W T H!

I wonder where he got the particles from. Did he like open a container in front of an exploding star or something?

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AweSam

I think you should rethink this whole thing. In fact, discuss it with some of us. Try to make partial sense of it. Do not pull a Spiderman or Superman.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jorgevy

@AweSam said:

@Jorgevy said:

W T H!

I wonder where he got the particles from. Did he like open a container in front of an exploding star or something?

yea LOL ahha

@AweSam said:

I think you should rethink this whole thing. In fact, discuss it with some of us. Try to make partial sense of it. Do not pull a Spiderman or Superman.

yea, his character seems to much Spiderman meets Flash type of thing

Avatar image for tomdickharry1984
tomdickharry1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By tomdickharry1984

It's no worse than a guy getting hit with radioactive muck and getting super powers or flying into space and getting iradiatted by cosmic rays. His 'normal' name sucks though! Jimmy Nova...is he a lounge singer or a hitman from 1930?

Rusty_Irons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rusty_Irons

1, The super name is fine, he needs a normal last name. 2, New origin. Example: He was working to create a mini super nova to power the world but an explosion, etc. That was kinda the plot from spider-man 2 but you get the idea.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AweSam

@blazersports said:

ya guys i really appreciate this :) if you could give me a few ideas to make it better like suggesting a new name and description that would be great :)

1. Why would a genius consume radiation without testing it first? 2. Why is a "genius" still in university at that age? Fix the origin, it has to make some sort of sense. If you need any help, any of us would be glad to assist you.

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Enosisik

(He works for NASA or some kind of lab) (He was trapped inside of the unsafe area of a particle collider) or (He was studying a strange asteroid that had just crashed landed. The landing caused major damage all around and casualties were high. A sample of the asteroid was sent to him for testing. While examining the rock either the rock explodes,he inhales dust or he cuts himself on it and it injects him) (Jimmy spends months in the hospital but when he recovers he finds that he gained powers) ( He bravely goes back to work at examining the asteroid 'which no one else has been able to figure out it's elements or where it came from',. Jimmy finds that it is so dense that it can only be created from the high pressure of a super nova explosion. The 'star dust' covering it could be a living organisim from an alien planet or you could have it as an unknown substance from the core of a star ' which gets explained later'.) the particle collider is nearly the same but the science would need to be better explained. The particle collider somehow split the molicules around him so that now he is outside of our own time and space, it somehow changed his molecular structure.

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Enosisik

Most important of all write the story that you want to read and write. If you're néw to writing or dont have the science knowledge or interest to research it, then I'd suggest keeping it simple and using the classic examples of simplified origins. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks because it's YOU'RE hero and Your story and if it's not something that feels natural and enjoyable to write then the story will not flow and you may become frustrated. So take advise and tips and whatever help you can get but keep it true to your own vision aswell.

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Enosisik

Thanks. Need anything else just ask.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By jhazzroucher

@blazersports said:

Be Honest, I made a character that I think is really cool. I have a description and a picture of him... Please reply if you agree with me! :) I'm only a novas drawer so ya I know his head is a little wonky. :P

No Caption Provided

Origin: Super-Nova

Jimmy-Nova

A genius 24 year old at University was working in the science lab. He made a mixture of particles from an exploding star (or supernova) and chemicals. He drank this mixture and felt nothing. This mixture was supposed to give great intellect. He continued working and once the day was over he went home. The next morning he woke up and felt different. All throughout the day he felt different. As the day ended the bus home missed him. He chased the bus with great speed. Thinking of the day before he tested these newly discovered powers. He was able to levitate, travel at great speeds and had super human strength. He could also make a flash and disappear from sight in an explosion of fire. Three months passed before he could use his powers again. A lost astronaut had come back from space after being saved by NASA. This man was no longer ordinary. He was terrorizing Los Angeles. He decided tom put his powers to use and fight him. He was not the only one who heard of this for many heroes and villains siding and fighting him came from around the world. Including: Venom, Carnage, Abomination, Iron Monger and Red Skull. The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America, Spider-Man and Scarlet-Spider also went. Unknowing that the terror they faced was a man of great power named Vengeance , who could blend in with his surrounding and hide his stench, had super human strength, speed, telekinesis and was full of rage.

So give me your honest opinion so i can improve. :) thanks!

Honestly, I don't like the name because it reminds me of Nova.

Second, I don't like the costume because he looks like Spider-man.

BUt I like your idea of your character

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Onemoreposter

The science needs work? You guys must be kidding as "star dust" mixed with "chemicals" makes just as much sense as gamma bombs, interstellar orphans, "cosmic rays," white dwarf star lens', radioactive spiders, super soldiers cryogenically preserved in salt water....should I go on?

@blazersports: The science in your origin is as good as just about that used in ANY comic book character's origin. You just need fancier terms is all. Like the redesign on the costume much better that the original as well.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Kallarkz

@Onemoreposter said:

The science needs work? You guys must be kidding as "star dust" mixed with "chemicals" makes just as much sense as gamma bombs, interstellar orphans, "cosmic rays," white dwarf star lens', radioactive spiders, super soldiers cryogenically preserved in salt water....should I go on?

@blazersports: The science in your origin is as good as just about that used in ANY comic book character's origin. You just need fancier terms is all. Like the redesign on the costume much better that the original as well.

Those were older times.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AweSam

@blazersports: You misunderstood 's advice. You mixed those origins together, now it makes no sense. Take out the asteroid. When he gets caught in the collider, it causes his body to rapidly produce hydrogen. the collider creates a reaction which fuses the element hydrogen to helium. Instead of releasing the energy causing him to expand, his body condenses it. The guy's pretty much a walking star. Tada! Something hardly anyone will understand and can't argue with it.

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By htb106

It's a good character but looks a bit like Spider-man.

Other than that it's a great creation, Congrats!

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Onemoreposter

@Kallarkz: Those times haven't ended. Show me the new characters whose origins are any more logical than their predecessors.

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Enosisik

@onemoreposter... There is a difference between 'unknown' science (example, in the 1950's ppl actually believed that a mutated giant monster could grow from certain radiation) the science was unknown at the time the same way that ppl once thought the sun revolved around the earth. In 100 years a lot of our science will also seen as foolish, as advancements are made. 'star dust' it just reminds me to much of fairy dust.lol But the star powered concept is good because it is explainable by our known science (with some imagination) of course.

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Enosisik

@blazersports: You misunderstood @Enosisik's advice. You mixed those origins together, now it makes no sense. Take out the asteroid. When the collider hits him it causes his body to rapidly produce hydrogen. the collider creates a reaction which fuses the element hydrogen to helium. Instead of releasing the energy causing him to expand, his body condenses it. The guy's pretty much a walking star. Tada! Something hardly anyone will understand and can't argue with it.........Exactly.Thumbs up! :)

Avatar image for sundipped_superman
Sundipped_Superman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty good but, why does he look like Spider-man.

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Enosisik

@Kallarkz: Those times haven't ended. Show me the new characters whose origins are any more logical than their predecessors.... Captain America is on PEDS and steroids. Steroids as we know them didn't even exist when that origin was written... The science is wrong on some because the writers are not scientist and science is ever changing. You can complain about the science of Hulk all you want but ya know what the problem is... It is scientifically impossible anyway . Genetic alteration perhaps is the only way it is possible to create a Hulk and basically that's what the gamma radiation did... when Hulk was created DNA hadn't even been discovered so Stan Lee used gamma radiation as a replacement fir science that no one understood.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

From about 1.5 years ago, I can't help it- I love this. I love reading people's original characters. It takes me back to the days I used to trace the body forms from the Mighty Men & Monster Maker, and fill in details to make new costumes. blazersports catches a lot of flack for the bit about parts of an exploding star, but I immediately thought of DC's Ray Palmer- The Atom- whose shrinking ability comes from harnessing the power of a piece of a white dwarf star. That's no more logical than b'sports' origin for Super-Nova, so why should it matter? He got his powers from pieces of a supernova! That's great! I mean, if you can flow with the ridiculousness of Axe Cop and have a good time, there's no reason you can't just go with this guy's origin. I say great job! :D

GoblinAlGhoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GoblinAlGhoul

I. Reminds me too much of Spider-Man. Not a problem but I'm just saying.

II. He's a smart dude who drank a mixture in an attempt to gain great intellect? Conceited much? Not a problem but I personally dislike the character for being selfish. Unless, he has a decent reason why he wanted to gain more intellect.

Again, not that it's a problem. I think McCoy is terrible too but it gives them more depth to have flaws.

III. I don't see an issue with the science like everybody else. Gamma radiation gave Banner HULK, injecting Wade with Logan's healing factor gave him powers, Parker got bitten by a radioactive spider so it isn't uncommon to have whacky science.

However, maybe you should do some research and see if you can make the science more believable.

IV. The name is not a problem but honestly dude, you can do better. Trust, it is always better to make a true alternate name. A true alternate name gives the character more of a alternate ego. He can still be Jimmy Nova but he should be SuperiorSun or whatever.

The easiest solution is to give SuperNova a different last name. It's more fun and more creative to have a true alternate name.

You can make Super-Nova's last name be connected to you in a way. Use your mother's maiden name, use your grandmother's maiden name, or use the last name of someone you admire. Hell, use a last name that just sounds cool.

Jimmy Wright

Jimmy Hernandez

Jimmy Carter

Jimmy Murphy

Jimmy Graham

Jimmy Ortiz

Jimmy Hunt

Jimmy Lynch

Jimmy Glass

You can use his last name as being a deep meaning behind the character like

Jimmy Graves

Graves can be used to reflect the fact he has a dark past or has lost people in his life.

Jimmy Payne

Payne can be used as being a representation for his painful past.

But Yeah... It's just some advice. At the end you're your own filter so you can do whatever the *-** you want.

Muahahahahjajajajaja

NeonPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By NeonPheonix

It's no worse than a guy getting hit with radioactive muck and getting super powers or flying into space and getting iradiatted by cosmic rays. His 'normal' name sucks though! Jimmy Nova...is he a lounge singer or a hitman from 1930?

Really??????

why you say that?

This guy put his work out there and that's what you say?

I can understand a little criticism but that is pretty much TROLLING, and you know what happens to TROLLS RIGHT?

If not i'll leave it to your imagination.