How to write the personality of an Anti-Villian

funnymanfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By funnymanfish

I wanted to post this because Anti-Hero has been done but Anti-Villain hasn't and I think it's just as important. For how to write the character see how to write an Anti-Hero.

1. They're not evil.

Wait? Did you just say their not evil? Yes. There is a difference. Evil: Thanos. Not evil: Loki. There is a difference between these characters. The best I've ever heard it said was: "Theirs two kinds of evil. Theirs the people that choose to be evil and the people that are forced to be." Thanos is evil. He's aware that he's evil. He chooses to be evil. He wants to be evil. Loki isn't evil. A villain? For sure. But evil? No! If you've read recent Journey into Mystery you'll find he fears being evil. Evil: Joker. Not evil: Deathstroke. Joker is pure evil. He's insane. He LIKES being evil. Deathstroke was forced to be evil.

2. They're not an Anti-Hero

Anti-Hero: Hulk. Hulk is an Anti-Hero. He's not an Anti-Villain. Theirs a difference. Anti-Hero: Punisher. Who is Punisher fighting? Bad guys. I said Deathstroke and Loki were Anti-Villains. Who do they fight? Heroes. So Anti-Villains fight heroes? But there not evil? Will I retract my former statement: They are evil. Yet their not. See! This is a very important thing. And IT HASN'T BEEN POSTED! The general idea of writing a not evil, evil person is very hard.

3. They are evil.

Before you think I'm insane, let me explain: Their not evil and that's final. But they're a villain, that's final. Their not an Anti-Hero and that's final. And their evil that's final. And for sure their not good. Wait! Their not good. So is Deadpool evil? Is Red Hulk evil? No. But if there not good then they have to be evil. Or are they traveling the fine line? The answer is.... NO. Their is no fine line. You're either evil or your good. So what are they? Their evil. So then, I ask you again is Deadpool evil? Is Red Hulk evil? No their not. There not evil. Are they good? Yes. Are they Anti-Heroes? No. So their good Anti-Villains? Wait. This makes no sense. Read on.

4. Are they good?

So, are they good? Well their not evil. Or are they? Is Hulk good? Is Punisher good? Yes. Or I ask you again. Are they? Are they evil? They've killed plenty innocent people. Does that make them villians? Now I ask you when is the last time you've seen Deadpool kill an innocent citizen that he wasn't hired to? When have you seen Red Hulk kill innocent people? Exactly. So are they good? You tell me

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Project_Worm

@funnyfishman: I think you misunderstand Anti-Villains are evil, it's just that they fall into the the category of necessary evil. Take Galactus for example he needs to eat planets in order to keep the universe in balance, but anyway you slice it, eating billions of innocent people is definitely evil.

Either way, you got some good tips here. Good job.

funnymanfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By funnymanfish

After re-reading it I realized I can't even answer some of my own questions :) lol

Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

Anti-heroes are such a great concept that's been raped to oblivion the past 10 years with the popularity of characters like Batman, Deadpool, Punisher and Blade. Anti-villains though are still an untapped commodity; a villain with a heart that knows the difference between good and bad, but chooses the bad field. They are not evil in the sense like Thanos and Darkseid, but are more psychologically structured like Loki, where they know the difference between bad and good and are often times forced or tricked into being "evil". However, they do not return to be heroes, like Red Hulk did.

Think of a character like the Transhuman in the *now canceled* Resurrection-Man. He does good deeds and helps Mitch Shelley, but makes it clear that he's a villain, not a hero.

There needs to be more anti-villains in comics. Or else a proper re-structuring of the difference between a "bad" character and an "evil" character. (think Bad Ash and Evil Ash from Army of Darkness; one is a trickster nuisance, while the other is stripped of all things good with only a lust for pain and torment left behind.)

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By batkevin74

@funnyfishman said:

1. Their not evil.

Should be they're as is they are not evil, their isn't the right there :)

funnymanfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By funnymanfish

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope said:

Anti-heroes are such a great concept that's been raped to oblivion the past 10 years with the popularity of characters like Batman, Deadpool, Punisher and Blade. Anti-villains though are still an untapped commodity; a villain with a heart that knows the difference between good and bad, but chooses the bad field. They are not evil in the sense like Thanos and Darkseid, but are more psychologically structured like Loki, where they know the difference between bad and good and are often times forced or tricked into being "evil". However, they do not return to be heroes, like Red Hulk did.

Think of a character like the Transhuman in the *now canceled* Resurrection-Man. He does good deeds and helps Mitch Shelley, but makes it clear that he's a villain, not a hero.

There needs to be more anti-villains in comics. Or else a proper re-structuring of the difference between a "bad" character and an "evil" character. (think Bad Ash and Evil Ash from Army of Darkness; one is a trickster nuisance, while the other is stripped of all things good with only a lust for pain and torment left behind.)

Exactly.

Avatar image for darth_brendroid
darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By darth_brendroid

Anti-heroes are heroes that could be villains. Anti-villains are villains that could be heroes. *shrug*

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Pyrogram

@batkevin74: IM SOO BAD AT THAT. If you ever read mine, correct me please :D

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers