redglassbowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By redglassbowl

FAMILY REUNION [Part III]

The love of my life lays dead on the ground in front of me. Face down in a pool of blood and gravel. The lightning makes for a grim background. The rain, a heart-wrenching addition.

Three days ago, I began the greatest trial of my life.

Four days ago, I met MaryJane Watson in a New York City bar.

It was love at first sight. I mean, this chick had it all. She just got out of a relationship with a nerdy photographer. I flew jets. What else is there to say?

We spent the night together.

Then it all began...

“DAY ONE - Elementary, My Dear MaryJane Watson.”

She’s beautiful.

“My, GOD! That was amazing! ...What’d you say your name was again?”

“Hahaha! Hal... Hal Jordan... I’m usually the one who asks that question.”

“Well, you can’t have all the fun, Mr. Jordan. You wanna make me breakfast?”

“Of course. Don’t you move a muscle, angel.”

“Oh, don’t worry, I won’t.”

I don’t know how to cook. But, I just know it will all taste exactly how I want it to. Perfect. She doesn’t know yet. About my hero identity. That’s not really a first date thing, is it? Maybe I missed the memo. The jet pilot line usually pulls em in.

I carry eggs, toast, and coffee to the beauty before me. She’s propped up with nothing but the sheets hanging off of her.

“You’re meal, Madame.”

“Why thank you, kind sir.”

The moment is too perfect.

“So... Hal... Tell me something...”

She speaks while chewing her toast. A classy New York dame, to be sure.

“Did you see the action yesterday? The new hero in town?”

My head begins to swell. She’s, of course, talking about my AMAZING feat yesterday. Maybe, I SHOULD tell her about my identity. I know I don’t have my Ring right now, but it’s only temporary. Just let her compliment you, Hal. Let her build you up.

“No, MaryJane. I didn’t hear. Why don’t you tell me about it?”

“What? Did you spend yesterday under a rock? The entire city was in danger! There was this weird alien guy lifting buildings and holding the city hostage, and then this OTHER alien - some red or pink guy - came flying in his tight, sexy green costume and shut that punk down!”

“Wait... what?”

“Yeah! He MASSACRED the crazy alien. When he was done he announced that he was going to help rebuild the city. Said his name was Sinestro. Isn’t that kool? Sinestro.”

What. The. Hell.

That son of a b!tch tapped into every mind in the city. Changed what happened. Real mature, Elf Ears. Wait til I get that Ring back...

“Y-yeah... That sounds... Great, MJ... What, you mean Spider-Man didn’t step in?”

“Pfff, that washed up old fleabag? Yeah. Right.”

*RIIIIIIIIING! RIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!*

My phone. Gotta change that ringtone. The number is private. That can only mean one thing.

“Hang on a second, MJ. I gotta take this.”

“Do what you gotta, Tiger.”

I walk out of earshot. The Ring usually helped with that, but I guess using my better judgement every once in a while can’t hurt. I have to force myself to answer...

“Hey, Carol...”

“Hal... How’d you know it was...”

“Doesn’t matter. Whatdya want?”

“Hal. We HAVE to talk. I have something very serious I need to discuss with you...”

“Look, I get it. I hurt you. You wanna make me feel bad. I got it. Just... Have some dignity for crying out loud.”

“Hal! Stop being so hateful! Listen! I’m-”

BOOOOOOM!

“Carol? Carol? What was that?! Carol?”

“Oh, my God! What do you want? What do you WANT?!”

“Carol? What’s going on? PICK UP THE PHONE!”

I can hear foot steps getting closer to the receiver. I can just picture the scene. If only I had the Ring I could be over there already...

“Hal! Help me!”

I hear another voice. In the distance. Not Carol’s...

“Hal... Hal Jordan of Earth... Carol Ferris is... MIIIIINNEE!”

“NO!”

I hang up the phone and run to my clothes. I almost forget MaryJane heard everything I yelled.

“Hal. Is everything alright? What’s wrong?”

“Oh, uh... Not-no-nothing. Just... I have to leave. Trouble at home.”

“Oh, my God. YOU’RE MARRIED?!”

“No! No! Trouble... at... I’m... Just... Call me!”

“Screw that! I’m coming with you!”

“No! MaryJane! No!”

“You’re stuck, Big Boy. Now let’s get moving.”

Great. Another clingy female in my life. We get to the nearest bar and I hot wire a motorcycle. We get to Coast City by nightfall. The city is still being rebuilt. Very few families live here. Mostly old people who are done with life. Who wouldn’t mind dying in a fiery explosion anyway. Old people and my family. What’s left of it. And Carol. We get to her house. It’s empty. Dark. Broken apart.

“When are you going to tell me what is going on, Hal?”

I don’t answer. We keep walking through the place. Expecting to find Carol. I know we’re too late...

“MaryJane... I don’t know what to do... I usually have the Ring for things like this...”

“The... Ring...? What are you talking about?”

A sound like some one stepping on a twig snaps behind us. We turn to run toward and see him in the doorway... Sinestro. His eyes are white and glowing like they aren’t his own. And floating behind him, bound by a green, translucent vice grip, Carol, writhing in pain.

“Help... me... Lantern... Can’t... control...”

He throws Carol down the street. She’s out cold. That may be a good thing.

“Sinestro. Stop! Don’t do this!”

“I... am sorry... Jordan...”

His ring creates a surgical table that straps MaryJane in and a giant sickle coming toward me.

Church bells in the distance tell us it just turned midnight...

NEXT TIME:

DAY 2!

-HAL HAS TO JUGGLE TWO GIRLS AT ONCE! AND SINESTRO!