#1  Edited By redglassbowl

RATED - FR18 - BY THE LRCC [A division of Wayne Enterprises]   

*Tick-Tock* *Tick-Tock* *Tick-Tock* *Tick-Tock*

“Wake up...”

*Tick-Tock*

“Wake up, Mr. Jordan...”

*Tick-Tock*

“Mr. Jordan... You promised...”

My name is Hal Jordan. And, I just woke up here. A tall, marble room with red curtains tied by golden cords over beautifully flowing tapestries. It’s magnificent. 

“You have to keep your promise, Mr. Jordan.”

*TICK-TOCK* *TICK-TOCK*

That clock... It’s so loud. Gotta find it. Stop it. Carol? She’s on the far end of the room. It looks like... every woman I’ve ever been with is here. They’re all crying... Why?

“You have the ability to overcome great fear, Mr. Jordan.”

*TICK-TOCK*

Who the hell is talking? And what the hell is Carol holding?

“Carol?”

She drops the lump in her arms and it rolls over to my feet. It’s a baby. An infant. Christ, what the hell is going on here. The baby speaks out...

“So why won’t you let me live?”

Okay. That does it. I’ve gotta get out of here.

“Carol, come on. We need to leave.”

“Hal?”

“I’m here, baby.”

I comfort and rush her at the same time. Nothing here is right. Everything is out of place. Then she opens her robe. Blood runs down her legs and covers her forearms. Blood that wasn’t there before. And she says it...

“I hate you, Hal.”

*GASP*

Dear God... It was just a dream... It was only a dream, man. Pull yourself together...

Pull yourself together, man. It was only a dream...

- | _

The alarm feels stunningly loud today. My brain is five sizes to small - makes it rattle in my skull. I have to talk to Carol... Today. I’ll find her where I always do... Her office at Ferris Air. The field is too dark for a July morning. The rain clouds must know what kind of day I’m going to have. The door with the smoked glass reading “Carol Ferris” is my destination. It takes years to walk the twenty feet, and decades to turn the knob. Her smiling face is the last thing I need to see today...

“Hal! Oh, my stars and garters! I have some wonderful, WONDERFUL neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeews!”

“Carol... Please... Save it.”

The color drains from her face. I watch it turn her eyes from that beautiful Caribbean blue to the color of that disgusting toothpaste your mom made you use.

“Hal, honey. What’s wrong?”

“I... *sigh* We’re done, Carol.”

“Uh... Um... What? Excuse me? We’re what, Hal?”

“I’m sorry...”

“Hal... Things were just getting serious. And now you want to end... EVERYTHING? End us? I thought-”

“Maybe you don’t remember! It’s me! ‘Highball’ Jordan! Pilot! I like flying fast! And living faster! I like fast women and one night stands. I don’t need a... family... slowing me down.”

“Okay. Why are you being such a jerk?! What are you so afraid of?”

“How DARE you accuse me of feeling fear!”

I turn to walk away. I couldn’t believe I just said that... I can only hope she didn’t catch it...

“Hal... Don’t you know who you sound like...?”

I do know... But, I don’t say it. I hear her mutter one last thing, but it doesn’t register. “How DARE you accuse me of feeling fear”? Nice one, Highball. That’s a phrase I picked up from someone who used to be a very dear friend of mine... I let his memory fight its way through my head... Hoping some day it will just die off. It’s been years now. Years since I laid eyes on the greatest of the Green Lanterns.

Wish I hadn’t made such a dramatic exit... Wish I had known what Carol muttered as I left.

“Hal... I’m pregnant...”

NEXT TIME IN GREEN LANTERN: FAMILY REUNION 

- LANTERN JORDAN FACES HIS GREATEST FEAR OF ALL TIME - COMMITMENT! 

- WE WITNESS THE RETURN OF THE GREATEST OF THE GREEN LANTERNS!

- AND SOMEONE FROM THE MARVEL UNIVERSE JUST CAN’T STAY AWAY FROM OUR DEAR FRIEND HAL JORDAN!!!!

tune in next week.

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By CapFanboy
@redglassbowl: wow, that was a fun read. I've always liked Hal Jordan as a character and I liked his thoughts in this fic! good job!
redglassbowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By redglassbowl

Thank you! If it means anything, Green Lantern: Family Reunion gets updated every Monday.