DC Re-Invented: Apache Chief

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

Rated MA because there's some racism issues in this, bit of punching too. All characters owned by DC or Hanna-Barbera, I just wrote the story. Also the word Mashk is Native American for ugly and Skull Valley Indian Reservation is actually located between a military base, a chemical plant, a magnesium plant and a nuclear storage facility...poor bastards! Enjoy, let me know what you think, I dare you!

Skull Valley, Utah, 1973

Manitou Raven shook his head as another military truck rumbled past his home. The white men, in particular the white men with the big guns, had been testing their devices here. Many times he had considered rounding up the braves and forcing them off his lands like the white man’s ancestors had done to his ancestors, but it was merely a fantasy. He had more pressing concerns with his wife being pregnant.

Skull Valley, Utah, 1974

Manitoba Dawn gave birth to an abnormally large baby boy. Chief Thunderclap shook his head at the site of the child “He is cursed!”

Manitou looked up at his chief as he cradled his wife, who was exhausted after the protracted labour. “What is wrong?”

The Chief pointed to the caul covering the baby’s head, a greyish purple membrane “The hooded child is cursed”

Manitou stood up and confronted his leader “He is not cursed, the land is cursed! The white man keeps encroaching and you let them!”

Chief Thunderclap folded his arms “Your tongue twitches like caught fish! Tread carefully Raven”

Manitou exhaled and turned back to his wife and child “Get out” Chief Thunderclap went to speak when the angered father turned back and roared “GET! OUT!”

Slowly the Chief and other attendees quietly left the tepee, looks of derision and scorn on their faces.

No Caption Provided

Skull Valley, Utah, 1984

Mashk Raven stood quietly beside his mother, watching his father cough and splutter from his deathbed. The tribe had already paid their respects, those who bothered. Tears welled in the young boys eyes as his father feebly beckoned him over. The cancer had eaten him from the inside, like a rotten fruit. Manitou wasn’t the only one. Between the military test site, the chemical weapons depot and the magnesium production facility; the white man had started another facility with a strange yellow symbol that looked like a fan. Skull Valley was living up to its name.

“M-my son” coughed Manitou, blood specks drifting into the air “You, you have to…be bigger than this…bigger than them…be strong and…brave”

“Yes father” he whispered.

Manitou gasped “Despite y-your name….you are not…never were…never…ugly” He reached out to hand his son a pouch. Mashk took the pouch and the hand and Manitou breathed his last.

Dugway Proving Ground, Utah, 1994

“You people need to leave!” stated Mashk as he shook his sign at the guard on the gate of the military facility “This, is our land!”

The guard just chewed his gum watching the protest. Dozens of Native Americans backed up by students from several colleges had arrived to protest the government’s treatment of its indigenous peoples.

“Just stay your side of the fence chief and we’ll get along fine” sneered the soldier “I feel like I’m at the Alamo fighting the Apaches!”

“The Alamo was against the Mexicans, you racist hick!” snapped Mashk as he threw his sign onto the ground and started forward.

The soldier placed his hands on his rifle “Try it redskin, go on. I’ll be John Wayne” Mashk gritted his teeth, his hands clenched tight, staring down the soldier “Whatcha gonna do, stare me to death?”

"Eh-neeek-chock!” barked Mashk.

“And what does that mean? I only speak American, not clicks” laughed the soldier.

“It means big man” Mashk replied derisively.

The soldier’s expression changed and he stepped forward, slamming the rifle butt into Mashk’s stomach, doubling him over.

“You shouldn’t have done that” coughed Mashk as he shook with rage “EHHHHH-NEEEK-CHOCK!” Mashk exploded into a fifty foot version of himself.

No Caption Provided

“Oh my god in heaven” muttered the soldier, crossing himself in haste.

Mashk looked down, his body coursing with energy. The soldiers scurried about like ants, the protesters shrieked in fright. He smiled as his father’s words rang in his ears, folding his arms and glowering at them below.

“Oh I think you can little man” said Mashk to the man dangling from a harness under a helicopter in his eye line “You will pack up your entire facility today and leave”

“The President…”

“Please bring him here, I would welcome the chance to discuss with him how his government, his military have down trodden, abused and basically subjugated the people of plains since they first arrived here” stated Mashk “I came here to protest and was ignored. Now I am fifty feet tall and perceived as a threat, you take me seriously! You will leave or I will make you leave”

The man swung back and forth in the updraft of the chopper blades “Are you threatening…”

“No, I’m telling you how it is!” snapped Mashk “Just like you told my people back in 1830 with the Indian Removal Act. Now go tell your President, your press that I will not move until you vacate this facility! And you have til the sun sets to respond, before I will use force”

Mashk folded his arms and glared at the man.

“As we enter our twelfth day of the siege of Skull Valley, the Apache Chief still stands towering above the Dugout Proving Grounds. His early threats of violence haven’t been followed through, though he has physically prevented both land and air vehicles from entering and leaving the base. President Clinton is still liaising with the D.E.O on how to handle the situation of the giant Native American Indian. I’m Catherine Grant, WGBS”

No Caption Provided

Director Bones stood on a platform in front of Mashk, a column of smoke emanating from his lipless smile “We clear out the base, we hand your people a truckload of cash and you come work for us. Sound fair Apache Chief?”

“My name is Mashk Raven. I am a Goshute” stated Mashk "Not an Apache. Not a chief"

“Yeah well I have invisible cyanide skin and was born in a lab. We all don’t get what we want kid” said Bones as he chained another cigarette “That’s the deal, take it or leave it”

“That sounds once again like a white man ultimatum”

“Just because you can see my bones, doesn’t mean I’m white kid” snapped Bones “I don’t know if I’m Chinese, Arabic or even human! Now stop being a pain in my see through ass and say yes! Otherwise Agent Barret, who is way out there in the dark, will pull the trigger and put a 25mm depleted uranium slug through your giant eye. It’s a crap deal but it’s better than nothing. Your call?”

Qurac, 2004

Apache Chief ripped the roof off the Presidential Palace and shoved his hand inside like it was a dolls house. He grabbed the shrieking President and lifted him skywards, ignoring the tiny pellets of the bodyguard’s guns.

“You were asked nicely to sign the treaty. You were begged. You were even paid” said Mashk “Now it has come to this little man”

Mashk placed the President inside a large rubber ball and sealed it “Just remember to breathe normally” And he threw the ball away, off over the horizon towards international waters. “This is the chief, package on route!”

No Caption Provided

The Department of Extranormal Operations, Washington, 2013

“What do you mean you quit?” asked Director Bones as he look.

“I don’t enjoy what I’m doing any more” replied Mashk as he slumped into a chair in his boss’s office “I’ve been working for you, for what nineteen years. Being a battering ram for a US invasion force isn’t really what I signed up for”

Director Bones lit up a cigarette “Vacation?”

“No, I quit!” said Mashk.

“How about vacation,” insisted Bones “Six months, full pay, no calls unless it’s a dire emergency…”

“It’s always an emergency when you call!” groaned Mashk.

“No calls then” Bones held his arms up “None at all, cross my invisible heart”

“You don’t have a heart”

Bones stood up “See you in June Chief”

“I’m not coming back” replied Mashk as he stood to leave.

“That’s what the Wonder Twins said. That’s what Black Vulcan said. Even El Dorado said it. And guess what, they’re all still working!” Bones smiled “Now I’d shake your hand, but the whole cyanide skin”

Mashk smiled and left the office. Bones waited til he was in the lift before he picked up the phone “Samurai…keep an eye on our friend…observation only. I think the Chief’s mission to Santa Prisca is finally catching up with him”

The End…????

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cr4pSnip3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I liked it. :) Too bad you're not doing more.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Liked this alot.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Dude! Please make a Superfriends series!

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Bookmarked it. I'll read it after work tonight. :)

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By batkevin74

@guardiandevil83: @tommythehitman: @cr4psnip3r: I would like to but I'm spread thin as it it is. Maybe I'll do something else or another chapter, but right now, the best I could manage is just this one-shot...though a Super Friends series does have merit

No Caption Provided

RedHood13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By RedHood13

Liked it!

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cbishop

Sorry, took me a little longer than I said. I liked it. Two things: 1) It's "en route." People spell it wrong all the time. 2) I was reading Bones, but hearing Nick Fury. He's always struck me more as the Maxwell Lord/ Amanda Waller type. No biggie really, but just my personal observation.

Loved the mention of all the Super Friends second stringers.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By batkevin74

@cbishop: Director Bones is an odd one, I was sure either and re-reading it, I can see the Nick Fury-ness. Maybe he is a Nick Fury who had all his skin vapourised when he crossed over into the DCU from the MU :)

The Super Friends who were created for the show have some of the most potential and lots of room to write because they're very two-dimensional with very little backstory, mainly created to put some "colour" on the team because the Justice league was kinda white!

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: "Kinda" white? No, they were white, period. Very much a product of the times. That every black character first introduced into comics was named "Black (Something)" has been commented on so many times, it's a joke. I mean, what was the idea with Black Vulcan anyway? "We don't want to emphasize 'Lightning,' because kids might start playing with electricity and hurt themselves. But let's leave 'Black' - white kids won't know what he is otherwise." I mean, that's stupid, but what was it, if not something equally as dumb?

Whatever the case, you're completely on target with the less developed characters having more potential. Black Vulcan was my favorite, with Samurai a close second (although I continually make the mistake of thinking his name was Super Samurai). I always considered The Wonder Twins as sidekicks, which I mentally rank just above second tier characters, but not quite stars.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Actually Black Vulcan was going to be Black Lightning but there was a dispute or something....(consults interweb) here we go "Black Lightning, who could not be used on the show due to disputes between DC and Black Lightning's creator Tony Isabella" and "The original candidate for DC Comics' first headlining black superhero was a character called the Black Bomber, a black hero who was actually a white racist and later described by comics historianDon Markstein as "an insult to practically everybody with any point of view at all" When the editor who had approved the Black Bomber left the company before the character had seen print, Isabella, whose previous writing experience included Marvel's first black superhero Luke Cage was asked to salvage the character"

And the Wonder Twins, the more I think of them, they could honestly be unstoppable. Change into any animal whether that be real, mythical or alien and form of any type of water, in any state...Shape of a dragon, form of a tsunami! Shape of the kraken, form of liquid nitrogen!

Samurai was Japanese Red Tornado, but with a sword, another underused guy.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@batkevin74: It's a phenomenal opener. Lots of elements were introduced here, one of my favorites being Bone's cameo.

Director Bones stood on a platform in front of Mashk, a column of smoke emanating from his lipless smile “We clear out the base, we hand your people a truckload of cash and you come work for us. Sound fair Apache Chief?”

“My name is Mashk Raven. I am a Goshute” stated Mashk "Not an Apache. Not a chief"

“Yeah well I have invisible cyanide skin and was born in a lab. We all don’t get what we want kid” said Bones as he chained another cigarette “That’s the deal, take it or leave it”

That was the best part IMO. Great writing!

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By batkevin74

@dngn4774 said:

@batkevin74: It's a phenomenal opener. Lots of elements were introduced here, one of my favorites being Bone's cameo.

That was the best part IMO. Great writing!

Thanks man! :)

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: Well, as long as it wasn't something stupid (he says with sarcasm). I agree on the Wonder Twins. I never understood why DC didn't make more use of them (or even Wendy & Marvin) in the comics, outside of the Super Friends comic. They could have easily been Teen Titans. I know Wendy & Marvin were used in the 2003 Teen Titans title, but that's not exactly how I meant.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cbishop

@batkevin74: Oh, and Don Markstein is great! I poured through the Toonopedia when I first discovered it online. I haven't looked at it in ages, but at one time, my name was in the acknowledgements, alongside Kurt Busiek and (I think) Mark Waid. Made me feel pretty good. :)

jatoe48er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fun story mr BatKevin, I had the flash out scenes in my head from the super friends series.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jatoe48er: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhMr4hBwWGw :) Thanks

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumped

SteveMcQueen36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This is still one of my favorite.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

“That’s what the Wonder Twins said. That’s what Black Vulcan said. Even El Dorado said it. And guess what, they’re all still working!” Bones smiled “Now I’d shake your hand, but the whole cyanide skin”

My fave reference. Made me chuckle. Did you do anymore?

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sharpshot: Tommy that doesn't sound so Superfriendly.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: "Pistol Barrel to the back of the head."

Heh! I have no idea what your talking about D! heh....

4donkeyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pfft! Apache Chief?! More like... Suckamache Chief!

Considering the recently hostilities that have been flying around of late my friend, why are you being deliberately provocative? You could've just said "Pfft, Apache Chief, not my cup of tea" and be done with it. Please for everyone's sake, a little bit of niceness though you may still critique/dislike/hate stories but framing it better.

In return, I shall be one of your followers.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uh... I think Sharpshot was saying that he hates Apache Chief... not the story.

SteveMcQueen36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There could have been a better way to get the sarcasm across. Or at least a classier way to voice his dislike for the character.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

Lets get off Tommy's back. He said something dopey, he didn't mean to offend anyone. I'm sure he's learned his lesson.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine said:

Lets get off Tommy's back. He said something dopey, he didn't mean to offend anyone. I'm sure he's learned his lesson.

No Caption Provided

Leave Tommy Alone!!!! JUST LEAVE HIM ALONE!!!!!!!!! :(

SteveMcQueen36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4donkeyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, is there something in the water? Lots of people acting, well like children (and I say that with the fullness of one in his 40's)

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: No this was just a one-shot. Contemplated doing the other super friends but nothing beyond daydreaming it

@sharpshot: Really? You seem new here, so I'm going to give you a pass at the moment because its dumb comments like that the get

me in trouble with mods for telling you where to go and how often you should!

Don't like the story, fine! Say so. Dropping comments like that only annoys people, especially me and of late I'm not biting my tongue and rolling with the punches. And unless I'm mistaken are you just a faux account? Like pyrogram and his/her 100 identities my guess is you're @tommythehitman since you've got a character named Sharpshot, it's your thing...have you decided to give him an account because he's transferred into the "real world"

I like people commenting on my work; whether they like it or hate it. Tell me the good, along with the bad, that's how we get better. But

Pfft! Apache Chief?! More like... Suckamache Chief!

Not helpful, not warranted, not needed! I'd rather you just read it and went off to your My Little Pony fan club meeting

Honestly, is there something in the water? Lots of people acting, well like children (and I say that with the fullness of one in his 40's)

No, it's just me! But the water is as good an explanation as any

There could have been a better way to get the sarcasm across. Or at least a classier way to voice his dislike for the character.

Exactly! This user has their head screwed on properly! Thanks

Sharpshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: I think I'm just gonna delete the blasted thing. Comment that is.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sharpshot:

Don't have to, you just have to remeber that even though you're a fictional character, there a real world consequences to comments. Trust me, I know!

Sharpshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: Ah HA! How do you know that I'm FICTIONAL?!

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By batkevin74

@sharpshot:

1) I went to your wall, checked your posts "Wow I'm the real universe"

2) Tommythehitman "invented" you and writes about you constantly

3) You and he are never on at the same time, and when you check the ISP provider they're the same

4) You protest too much about not being fictional

5) I've read bits of Sharpshot and this, to you anyway THIS is a crossover

6) Do you need any more?

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: I apologize for his lack of manners Mr Batkevin!

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By dngn4774

@sharpshot:

1) I went to your wall, checked your posts "Wow I'm the real universe"

2) Tommythehitman "invented" you and writes about you constantly

3) You and he are never on at the same time, and when you check the ISP provider they're the same

4) You protest too much about not being fictional

5) I've read bits of Sharpshot and this, to you anyway THIS is a crossover

6) Do you need any more?

That's not so bad. One time me and three other users got in a two month long argument in the Jason Todd forum with a guy who had 4 accounts! Dude wasn't even reading the Outlaws books but still had the nerve to tell us the correct interpretation of New52's Red hood.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumped for Wonder Twin referencing

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers