DC Mayhem: Justice Society of America #6

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 43

#1  Edited By Joygirl

More JSA and other Mayhem projects can be found here!

-----------------

The Green Lantern of Earth, Kyle Rayner.

Princess Koriand’r, the tamaranian known as Starfire.

M’gann M’orzz, also known as Miss Martian.

Jaime Reyes, the wearer of a mechanized suit and bearer of the name Blue Beetle.

The demon, Etrigan.

Kara Zor-L, Power Girl.

And the villainous mastermind known as the Riddler, searching for a second chance.

Together, they have gone to the desolate planet of Mars with one purpose in mind – to stop Bizarro from destroying Earth along with his new friends, the white martians.

Together, they are the Justice Society of America.

No Caption Provided

-----------------------------------------------------

“Bizarro… will… DESTROY YOU!”

“That means he isn’t going to destroy us, right?” Kyle said hopefully as he, Power Girl, Blue Beetle, Miss Martian, and Starfire sped away at their top speed away from the manic roars coming from behind them, back to the bunker where, as far as they knew, Etrigan and Riddler still were.

“Nope,” Kara hissed as she rushed by, grabbing onto Jaime’s arm and yanking him along, urging him to keep up. “He’s learned. He knows how we work now… I suppose it was only a matter of time.”

A dull blue glow in the distance barely gave M’gann enough time to phase away before a burst of icy energy lanced through her transparent form. She swallowed hard, continuing to speed on alongside the others. “Where is this bunker again, guys? He’s catching up, he’s going to get us! He’s… he’s going to get me!”

“It isn’t far, senorita,” Jaime shouted above the sound of dry air whooshing past his helmeted head. “Or at least, it shouldn’t be – we’ll have to rely on the demon and the villain to give us the signal. I’m not sure I’ll be able to find it with the cloak on!”

It had been only moments after leaving R’aih unconscious in his little cave that things had gone awry. An uprise from the white martians had set Bizarro into a sort of violent frenzy when they had started to make their true feelings known – blaming him when their technology had spontaneously stopped working. Needless to say, he hadn’t reacted well.

M’gann took a deep breath, almost a gasp, as the splintered team swiveled their flightpath around a bend of red rock. Bodies littered the ground, those of the white martians. Bizarro had already been here ahead of them, had killed… killed hundreds of them. Even if they were not kindred to her, they were her kin – she had no idea that Superman’s clone could possibly be capable of this carnage, even in this fit of rage. Maybe he wasn’t the eternal victim he wanted everyone to think he was.

“This is… terrible,” Starfire said quietly, barely heard by her companions. The small team didn’t stop moving, however, continuing to rush along at their minimum top speed with Jaime lagging slightly behind.

“Don’t pay attention to it,” Power Girl spoke now, “This is why we have to get rid of him – whether or not he’s this sympathetic, confused villain? He’s still a monster. A wolf may just be trying to eat, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have to be put down.”

The rest of the group flew on with their heads lowered, not… stunned, exactly, by their leader’s words. But they did sting. The JSA was supposed to be great and noble, like the Justice League. The idea of doing whatever it took to get Bizarro off of Mars was not thrilling to anyone there.

--------------------

Besides Etrigan, and the Riddler. They were totally stoked about the whole thing.

“So, a man is walking, alone, down a boardwalk….”

“Lucifer’s tears, not another.”

“Shush, you’ll like this one.” Riddler leaned back against the wall of the bunker, keeping his gaze focused on the small windows in anticipation of the return of the JSA. “So a man is walking, alone, down a boardwalk, and stops by a small restaurant upon seeing the sign outside, which states that the restaurant serves soup with albatross found on an island not too far away.”

“Okay…” Etrigan growled quietly, closing his eyes and letting out a small sigh.

“He goes inside and orders a bowl. After taking one sip of it, he spits it out and leaves the restaurant, starting to walk around behind without paying his bill. He draws a revolver out of his jeans, puts the barrel to his head, and pulls the trigger. Why?”

“The soup was that bad?”

Edward smiled softly. “No. The man had just returned from a vacation, that had ended with his plane crashing and he, and his family, being trapped on a deserted island for several months. The pilot, and a few others that had survived, stated that there had been albatross on the island, and had frequently brought the beasts back to their camp for food. He had enjoyed it then, and in his lonely time of struggle as the only survivor of that trip, had decided to remind himself of that time by eating albatross again. After tasting the soup, he realized that it wasn’t albatross, as he was quite familiar with the taste. He shot himself because he had been eating what he could only assume was the partially-digested corpse of his own wife.”

“…That’s not even a riddle, it’s just a really morbid story that doesn’t even make sense. How did he know that it was his wife?”

Eddie offered a particularly sinister grin. “Because he had already eaten the captain.”

“You’re a sick bastard, I ever tell you that?” Etrigan smirked. “I love it. You need to tell more ‘riddles’ like that o – shh.”

Riddler gave his demonic companion a lazy glance before turning back to the window in front of him. “Uh oh. You remember the signal?”

Etrigan puffed out his chest and stood. “I’m a lord of Hell, and you should do best to remember that, you insignificant pinprick… of course I remember the signal.” The demon lunged forward, placing both taloned hands against the side of the open window and leaning his head out to belch forth a long, powerful gout of hellfire.

------------------------------

“There they are! Etrigan’s fire is the signal!” Kyle shouted out, little green rockets forming on the sides of his outfit and quickly starting to shoot out emerald fire, hurtling the Lantern forward.

“Quick, regroup before he finds us aga—ahhh!” Power Girl screamed out as she was hurled forward, another blue bolt sending her sprawling into the crimson dirt, face-first.

“You have… you have come for Bizarro… turned Bizarro’s only friends against him? Are you so eager to see Bizarro unhappy?!” By the time Kara had brought herself to her feet, a hulking, blue-and-purple figure had blitzed past her, sending her sprawling yet again.

“Friend Karen!” Koriand’r shouted, spinning around mid-flight and hurling a volley of starbolts towards Bizarro, who seemed unimpressed – what few missiles struck into his muscular hide seemed to have no effect whatsoever. In response, the hulking clone only turned, his deep crimson eyes fading through the shades of deep purple until they burned with an unholy sapphire light.

“If Bizarro may have no friends, then neither may you,” he growled before letting loose, the beams from his eyes freezing Starfire solid before the other heroes (or… villains) could react to help her. “You wanted to see Bizarro become angry and sad… this is what he looks like when he is angry and unhappy.”

“And this is what I look like, Peter Pan,” Power Girl growled, sending a fist rocketing into the huge kryptonian’s jaw, making his jaw tilt subtly.

“Your strike is like the bite of an insect – unpleasant, but no more than that. Bizarro has learned from his time on earth, but none of you have learned from your time among Bizarro – I am stronger than you.” A casual backhand sped toward’s Kara’s face, barely blocked in time by a spiked steel wall made of green energy. The spikes dented and the energy construct shattered, but it saved Power Girl in time.

“Thanks Kyle,” she cried out, zooming away from Bizarro to join the rest of the league, scooping up the still-frozen Starfire along the way and sending a quick blast of heat vision into her body.

“No problem, bunker’s this way—glllk!” Kyle’s eyes widened, small streaks of green energy streaming out from around Bizarro’s closed fingers as the hulking clone of Clark Kent held the Lantern up by the throat, his eyes burning blue again.

“You think you can evade me? Lose Bizarro? You are no threat to me, merely an annoyance.”

“Enough of this,” Etrigan barked, leaping from the open doorway to the cloaked bunker, his own tattered blue cape billowing absently behind him from Mars’ low gravity. His bare-footed step spoke of years in Hell, seeing physical and emotional hardening that someone like Bizarro could barely even dream of. The Thing of Steel turned his head from a wiggling, gasping Kyle Rayner, glancing to Etrigan with a barely-respectful nod.

“I see you, demon,” he growled. “What do you want with Bizarro? To assist him in crushing these bugs? Do you see how they hunt Bizarro, finally?”

“Oh, believe me, big blue, I’d like nothing more,” Etrigan said with a snarl, his thin, dry lips twisting into a sort of smile. “But I’m on a sort of community service at the moment, and I’m playing nice – you, however, are not. What do you propose we do about that?”

“Bizarro could crush you, as well,” the imperfect creature offered.

“Fun, though I think you may find it more challenging than you suspect. Besides, there are some issues with crushing myself, or any other member of the ‘Justice Society of America’. A friend of mine, whose name shall go unsaid to prevent you from doing anything rash, just happens to have access to the very weaponry you’ve been failing to sufficiently harness.”

“Etrigan, what are you—“ M’gann began, only to be silenced by the demon’s raised hand.

“While these mortal insects have been attempting to think of a way to talk you into exiling yourself yet again, myself and my… friend, have found a way to keep you gone. If you don’t want to see what that way is, I suggest you leave Mars and don’t return to any other inhabited planet.” Etrigan casually shifted his gauntlets, tightening the barbed-wire straps that held them on, doing his best to seem utterly unconcerned.

Bizarro blinked a few times, his eyes fading to a dull violet. “I can crush this man before you use any weapon against me.”

“Go ahead,” Etrigan said simply.

“Wait, wait… what are we talking about?” Jaime spluttered. “Are we talking about killing him? We don’t do that! We’ve never done that!”

Only because you won’t let me. The suit whispered into the young man’s ear.

“Yes, and that’s because… because we’re the good guys! We can’t do this, we can’t even threaten it! The Justice League would never kill him!”

“That’s why he’s still alive,” Etrigan said simply. “That’s why thousands of white martians are dead and dying on the surface of this planet. We aren’t the Justice League… we have to do what they wouldn’t, or we have no purpose.”

“I… I have to agree with Jaime,” M’gann whispered, stepping aside to stand next to the blue-suited boy. “We can’t do this. We can get him to leave.”

“…Kara?” Kyle said quietly, turning to the kryptonian, whose eyes were downcast in thought. “You don’t support this, do you?” His voice was strained – even being held gently by Bizarro meant that his throat could be effortlessly collapsed at any instant, and the little bit of green light that he had ringed around his throat was all that had kept him alive until now.

Power Girl glanced up at the Lantern with a deep breath, before tilting her gaze to Etrigan, who had been acting as her second-in-command until this moment. “What weapons are you talking about, Etrigan? What weapons does Riddler have?”

“All of them.”

“On Tamaran, this tactic would have been resorted to long ago… universal enemies have to be removed by any means, to preserve our way of life,” Starfire said from her gasping position on her knees, her deep orange skin faded to a pale gold color from the cold still shaking her body. Bizarro turned to her with a cold stare, his fingers tightening around Kyle’s throat.

“Etrigan… if Bizarro doesn’t leave, tell Nigma to fire. This is your last chance, monster.” Kara’s voice was little more than a whisper, strained and quiet, but audible in the thin air. Miss Martian cupped one hand across her mouth and took a step back.

The Imperfect Superman clenched his free fist. “You are no better than the rest of them. You exile Bizarro to life alone on some desolate planet, under threat of destruction. I hope that you see the error of your ways, someday. I hope that you have the opportunity to understand Bizarro’s pain and exile, someday.”

“Go, Bizarro.” Power Girl said softly.

There was a soft vibration before Bizarro seemed to vanish, leaving Rayner’s oxygen-deprived body lying in the dust. Those whose eyes could follow his movements, such as Kara and M’gann, could see the Thing of Steel fly up and away, shooting himself out of Mars’ atmosphere.

The team sat in silence for several long moments, with Power Girl, Etrigan, and Starfire exchanging soulful glares with Miss Martian, Blue Beetle, and the Green Lantern. A minute or so later, a power-suited Edward Nigma came slithering out of the cloaked bunker, idly trying to scratch at an itch hidden safely beneath his armor. “So, did we win?”

“I guess,” Miss Martian intoned softly.

----------------------------------------------

Many lightyears and many isolated planets away, a lone, imperfect kryptonian with no true name landed his violet-booted feet into the soft brown turf of his new home. A small smile curled his chalky lips as he gazed out along the wide, grassy turf of this side of his new planet. No intelligent life besides him. Nobody to hurt him or betray him, nobody to drive him away. No Superman, no Lois, no martians, no weapons. Nothing and nobody but Bizarro and six perfect sides.

No Caption Provided
wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#2  Edited By wildvine

@Joygirl said:

I really liked Riddler and Etrigans dynamic. They are fun together.

Bizarro was the villain and victim (sort of). More complex then just an antagonist to be over come. Eager to see where the story goes next.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Joygirl

@wildvine: I actually promise that the series will improve in quality after this. I will be introducing some new characters and dropping some, and there will be more character interaction and free time and good stuff, this is just kinda introductory really.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By wildvine

So, this was you not really trying?

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Joygirl

@wildvine: Sugar, all of my fan-fics are me not really trying. Wanna see me trying, read Northern Calhana, Pits of Lotharan, The Horsemen, something like that.

But this was an embryonic idea that will improve vastly with the next arc.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By wildvine

Wow. Now i feel very tiny indeed.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Joygirl

@wildvine: Ah, don't, everyone starts somewhere. My first written works sucked horribly. I've been plugging at this for the better part of... five, six years? Seven?

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

The last two I have been the strongest, keep it up <3

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By minigunman123

I haven't read the other stories that came before this yet, so I wonder why Bizarro is speaking rather intelligently, when he's supposed to be somewhat... Slow? I assume it was explained in an earlier story (or maybe I missed something), but on the off-chance it wasn't, that seems somewhat out of character for him.

The rest of the story was alright, but the story overall just seemed slightly... Immature, I guess. The heroes all talk while they're in the middle of fighting, and some of them act somewhat childishly and insecurely when not in combat, e.g. Miss Martian panicking because Bizzaro is "coming to get me!". I guess I just prefer my heroes to be more mature, more like soldiers in that they're more disciplined, know that panicking doesn't solve or help anything, and typically try to fix problems rather than talk. The story seemed like a TV show with actors, rather than a story about actual people. It might just be my personal taste rather than a technical critique, though.

Another critique is the somewhat morbid story that the Riddler told. It seems a bit too morbid, like either you or he is trying too hard to make it sound really off-putting, and so it doesn't seem off-putting at all, to myself. Again, I haven't reviewed too many stories because I usually don't read that many anymore (I used to read tons of them on fanfiction.net, spent hours every night there :D), so it might not be a technical critique, but just my personal taste.

Keep on writing! Bizzaro has always been one of my favorite characters. He's kind of adorable when he's not insane, and when he's insane, he's always a fun challenge to read about, since he's on par with Superman, at the worst of times. Always a fun character to read about.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Joygirl

@minigunman123: Generally it's a good idea to read what came first... they made kind of a big deal about the fact that Bizarro's been learning, and he's more intelligent and powerful than usual in the Mayhem universe. Also, I've kind of established Miss Martian as insecure and young (as she sometimes is) in this continuity.

All in all, it's not perfect. As I said to Wildvine this is not really a serious project for me, I wrote it once through without a single edit and never intended for it to be anything more than a hopefully amusing dalliance.

The morbid story was supposed to just kind of show the way Riddler is here. He's on the side of the angels but he's still Riddler, he's still sick, and he wants to get a rise out of anyone and everyone by saying audacious things. Though, since he picked Etrigan to say that thing to, it didn't work exactly the way he planned, as the demon just finds it funny more than anything else.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By minigunman123

@Joygirl said:

@minigunman123: Generally it's a good idea to read what came first... they made kind of a big deal about the fact that Bizarro's been learning, and he's more intelligent and powerful than usual in the Mayhem universe. Also, I've kind of established Miss Martian as insecure and young (as she sometimes is) in this continuity.

All in all, it's not perfect. As I said to Wildvine this is not really a serious project for me, I wrote it once through without a single edit and never intended for it to be anything more than a hopefully amusing dalliance.

The morbid story was supposed to just kind of show the way Riddler is here. He's on the side of the angels but he's still Riddler, he's still sick, and he wants to get a rise out of anyone and everyone by saying audacious things. Though, since he picked Etrigan to say that thing to, it didn't work exactly the way he planned, as the demon just finds it funny more than anything else.

As I said, I assumed it was explained in an earlier story, and this is the first time I decided to really read a story on comic vine, so I just picked whatever looked interesting. I really didn't care about continuity, I was just seeing who's writing what.

I understand it's not perfect, and wasn't a "serious project", I'm just trying to offer what I genuinely thought of it, so that others reading can also get another perspective on the story. Many people will just say it's good, or bad, without explaining why. I don't think it's bad, but I offered reasons why I didn't love it, for everyone to think about.

I understand the Riddler tried to get a rise out of Etrigan, but it still seemed like something Beast Boy from the Teen Titans anime would say if he were more grotesque in his humor. I thought it was just trying a bit too hard on his part.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Joygirl

@minigunman123: Right right, makes sense, and I appreciate it. I didn't even think about how they were conversing, I just kinda went with it. I'll keep some of your notes in mind.

As for Riddler, I'm still playing with him, if that makes sense. Trying to get that perfect blend of suave, superior, highly intelligent, immature, sensitive, and grotesque. I don't think I've quite hit it yet.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By minigunman123

@Joygirl said:

@minigunman123: Right right, makes sense, and I appreciate it. I didn't even think about how they were conversing, I just kinda went with it. I'll keep some of your notes in mind.

As for Riddler, I'm still playing with him, if that makes sense. Trying to get that perfect blend of suave, superior, highly intelligent, immature, sensitive, and grotesque. I don't think I've quite hit it yet.

Yeah, I haven't tried writing a character quite like that yet, grotesque characters are usually really hard to write for most people. I think subtlety might work better, for the grotesque aspect, than most of Riddler's other attributes, since he is supposed to be somewhat outspoken.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Joygirl

@minigunman123: Right. Will take a bit of practice to get it right though.

That was kinda my version of the dead baby joke he tells in Arkham Asylum. The original riddle I found was actually a little less gross, I enhanced it.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By minigunman123

@Joygirl said:

@minigunman123: Right. Will take a bit of practice to get it right though.

That was kinda my version of the dead baby joke he tells in Arkham Asylum. The original riddle I found was actually a little less gross, I enhanced it.

I actually haven't played Arkham Asylum :( I'll go look up the joke right now though, lol.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Joygirl

@minigunman123: "What walks on four legs, then two, then three?"

"A human being. As a baby it walks on four legs, then two, then it uses a cane."

"Wrong. The answer to all three is a baby. Cut off its legs and it can only hobble around on its two arms, give it a cane and it can use three."

Paraphrased but that's roughly it.

4donkeyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By 4donkeyjohnson

@Joygirl said:

“That means he isn’t going to destroy us, right?” Kyle said hopefully as he, Power Girl, Blue Beetle, Miss Martian, and Starfire sped away at their top speed away from the manic roars coming from behind them, back to the bunker where, as far as they knew, Etrigan and Riddler still were.

“Nope,”

No Superman, no Lois, no martians, no weapons. Nothing and nobody but Bizarro and six perfect sides.

No Caption Provided

Excellent, excellent work! Touching, violent, funny and excellent! Well done indeed

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By minigunman123

@4donkeyjohnson said:

@Joygirl said:

“Nope,”

No Superman, no Lois, no martians, no weapons. Nothing and nobody but Bizarro and six perfect sides.

No Caption Provided

Excellent, excellent work! Touching, violent, funny and excellent! Well done indeed

That reminds me. The DC Universe Online picture made me laugh and then made me sad, lol. I miss playing that game so badly. Best roleplay ever, resides in that game :'(

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By batkevin74

@Joygirl said:

“This is why we have to get rid of him – whether or not he’s this sympathetic, confused villain? He’s still a monster. A wolf may just be trying to eat, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have to be put down.”

The rest of the group flew on with their heads lowered, not… stunned, exactly, by their leader’s words. But they did sting. The JSA was supposed to be great and noble, like the Justice League. The idea of doing whatever it took to get Bizarro off of Mars was not thrilling to anyone there.

She's not Supergirl, she's Power Girl and Power Girl makes tough decisions. She's more in line with Wonder Woman's lines of thinking

@Joygirl said:

“Lucifer’s tears, not another.”

“Shush, you’ll like this one.” Riddler leaned back against the wall of the bunker, keeping his gaze focused on the small windows in anticipation of the return of the JSA. “So a man is walking, alone, down a boardwalk, and stops by a small restaurant upon seeing the sign outside, which states that the restaurant serves soup with albatross found on an island not too far away.”

“Okay…” Etrigan growled quietly, closing his eyes and letting out a small sigh.

“He goes inside and orders a bowl. After taking one sip of it, he spits it out and leaves the restaurant, starting to walk around behind without paying his bill. He draws a revolver out of his jeans, puts the barrel to his head, and pulls the trigger. Why?”

“The soup was that bad?”

Edward smiled softly. “No. The man had just returned from a vacation, that had ended with his plane crashing and he, and his family, being trapped on a deserted island for several months. The pilot, and a few others that had survived, stated that there had been albatross on the island, and had frequently brought the beasts back to their camp for food. He had enjoyed it then, and in his lonely time of struggle as the only survivor of that trip, had decided to remind himself of that time by eating albatross again. After tasting the soup, he realized that it wasn’t albatross, as he was quite familiar with the taste. He shot himself because he had been eating what he could only assume was the partially-digested corpse of his own wife.”

“…That’s not even a riddle, it’s just a really morbid story that doesn’t even make sense. How did he know that it was his wife?”

Eddie offered a particularly sinister grin. “Because he had already eaten the captain.”

“You’re a sick bastard, I ever tell you that?” Etrigan smirked. “I love it. You need to tell more ‘riddles’ like that o – shh.”

You need to put these two alone, on a mission to somewhere, like a buddy movie. It'd be awesome. So unlikely, so right!

@Joygirl said:

The Imperfect Superman clenched his free fist. “You are no better than the rest of them. You exile Bizarro to life alone on some desolate planet, under threat of destruction. I hope that you see the error of your ways, someday. I hope that you have the opportunity to understand Bizarro’s pain and exile, someday.”

“Go, Bizarro.” Power Girl said softly.

“So, did we win?”

Awwww :( That's a bit sad. Good work, excellent work even!

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Joygirl

@4donkeyjohnson: @batkevin74: Thanks muchly, folks. :D

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By rav4

I'd almost feel bad for Bizarro if he wasn't such a horrible menace to society xD

And that "riddle" gets creepier every time I see it...

Looking forward to the upcoming stories and team changes!