DC Genesis: The Demon #2

RavenHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RavenHeart

(Jason Blood had not moved from the entrance of his apartment. The Old Man was still smiling at him. Jason goes to talk, the Old Man beats him too it.)

Old Man: Before you say anything, you are not chosen to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Yes, I do look like Dumbledore, though sadly him and I are different people. Though as you can see from my glasses and hair I do enjoy his style, well except for the robes, a little bit too cliché I think (the Old Man smiles to himself, seemingly lost in his own thoughts)

Jason: What the hell are you doing in my apartment?

Old Man: (getting up from his chair) Oh yes, silly me, let me introduce myself. I’m getting old Jason and my mind always gets trapped on one topic, or is that a trait of youth? No matter (walking over to Jason) and might I add an interesting choice of words there, because hell has a lot to do with why I’m here (he reaches Jason and puts out his hand) I go by many names, Jason, though you may call me Merlin Ambrosius

(Jason shakes Merlin’s hand reluctantly and is about to question the whole “Merlin” thing when an alarm sounds from the kitchen distracting the two men)

Merlin: Oh good, supper’s finished, come on Jason before it gets cold

(Merlin moves off, Jason shakes his head and wonders who this crazy old man really was. Well he seemed harmless enough; maybe he was a forgotten uncle or something, one way to find out. Jason follows Merlin into the kitchen. There is an assortment of food waiting for him in his small apartment kitchen. On the kitchen table there were two dining sets, a bowl of salad, and large pan of scalloped potatoes. Merlin was pulling out a large roast from the oven.)

Merlin: You don’t really keep your fridge stocked do you Jason? I had to go out shopping earlier and get most of the ingredients for our dinner.

Jason: Sorry I didn’t realize I was expecting a guest (trying to play along to the old man’s delusions)

Merlin: (Cutting the roast) no matter, I always wanted to see Delta City. Turns out it’s not the best of places, who would have thought?

Jason: (Merlin places a slice of roast on his plate) Yeah, well what can you do in times like these?

Merlin: Indeed, would you like any wine?

Jason: No thank you, I’ve been on the wagon for a year and a half now

Merlin: (pouring himself a glass of red wine) addiction, I see, well there was always some problems that were caused by the process you went through, a weakening of a sorts

Jason: What are you getting at? Why are you here? A lost family member, or something like that?

Merlin: (sitting across from Jason and dishing himself up food) Eat your food Jason, it will probably be a long while since the next time you will have a nice relaxing home cooked meal. And yes, we are family, sort of anyways.

(Jason eyes Merlin before dishing himself some food. He slowly chews on a piece of meat it doesn’t taste half that bad, actually it tastes amazing, he swallows and continues to eat)

Merlin: It was too bad about what happen to you today

Jason: How did you know about that?

Merlin: (seemingly ignoring Jason) You’re still untested in this state, so I didn’t expect much from you. But you did try to help, so that’s a good sign.

Jason: (Smashing his hand on the table) that’s enough! Who the hell are you! What do you want from me!

Merlin: Quiet Jason, we don’t want to draw attention to ourselves, not yet, anyways. And I guess I should get along to answering your question. Jason Blood, I, Merlin Ambrosius, call upon you to aid me in a quest to stop the Demon Lord Belial from invading this world

Jason: (at first thinking this man truly was crazy, though Merlin had a look of utmost seriousness on his face. Jason settled and thought realization had finally dawned on him) ah, so you want me for a job, listen, after what happen today, I think I’m gonna relax for a while. I got some family business to attend to, yeah know?

Merlin: This is more then any mere job, Jason Blood, this is a quest of the utmost importance. Jason, have you ever had the sensation that you were destined for bigger things? Listen to me, I need your help, though sacrifices will have to made during this quest, but I swear it’s worth it (Jason stays silent for a bit, his mind reflecting upon Merlin ‘s words. He does not get the chance to answer. A knock at the door. Merlin waves a hand at Jason as he goes to answer. Merlin places a finger to his lips and moves out of the room to answer the door. Jason waits in the kitchen, a deep silence veils the apartment. Jason reaches for his fork, it’s cold. A loud smash is heard from the other room. Merlin comes flying into the kitchen, smoke following in his wake.)

Merlin: (getting up to dust himself off) He’s here, hurry out the fire escape Jason (Jason is about to question Merlin. Merlin grabs him and throws him towards the window. The old man is stronger then he looks) go now!

(Merlin moves back into the other room. Jason moves out the window onto the fire escape. More sounds are heard; Jason swears he hears the sounds of lighting and fire emanating from his apartment. A shockwave hits Jason and sends him flying over the railing. He clutches onto the pole for dear life and tries to pull himself back onto the fire escape. Merlin appears on the other side of the railing; he has lost his glasses and fedora, his hair waves around wildly)

Merlin: (smiling now at Jason) good idea (Merlin grabs Jason’s arm and jumps over the railing. “He’s nuts,” is all that goes through Jason’s mind as they free-fall sixteen stories down. Jason closes his eyes. The world stops moving. Upon opening his eyes he finds they are perfectly fine in the alley beside Jason’s apartment building) hurry, my car is parked around the corner

(An explosion from above. The wall to Jason’s old apartment is destroyed. Debris falls everywhere. Jason’s looks up and spots through the smoke and dust the outline of a huge horned man. Merlin grabs him and they take off down the alley. Merlin tosses Jason the keys as they turn the corner to find an old-styled black Lincoln waiting for them. Jason moves into the drivers seat and they drive off. Jason looks into the rear-view mirror; no one is following them)

Merlin: Very good, now keep driving northward. Follow the highway until exactly six, then take the next turn and stop at the first diner you see. Okay? I’m going to get some sleep

Jason: Who, or what, was that? Was that…was that Lucifer?

Merlin: (Laughing) No we would both be dead if it was. No, though the people of this world call him Blue Devil, he is merely a demon named Neron. He was sent by Belial to kill me.

Jason: First off, merely a demon, and why doesn’t Belial just come after you himself?

Merlin: All your questions will be answered in the morning Jason, but now I’m tired, so just keep driving. And don’t pull over for any hitchhikers with large hats on (Merlin chuckles to himself and in no time is asleep)

(Jason continues to drive. How could he be so calm, he thinks of Merlin. Jason’s pulse still beats rapidly and his palms still sweat, they seem to slide over the steering wheel. He wonders what he has gotten into. And it was only this morning that he thought things were looking up; after all he got offered a TV spot. That was the greatest news he had heard in a long time. Yet now that was blown, along with his apartment, and his life. He turns onto the highway. It’s been two years since he’s driven anywhere. Two long years, since…)

(The car drives on as Jason thinks of car crashes and demons)