CRANK: Wicked Flame - Flash Over One Shot

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By ImpurestCheese

Want to see the event that sparked this attack? Check it Out Here..

Circular Quay, Sydney, Australia

The police helicopter flew alongside the Sydney Harbour Bridge, the team of marksman ready to engage the men on top of the structure as they fired round after round at the Opera House on the other side of the cove. The men inside the helicopter knew what they had to do, as bad as the terrorists were, their effect on the populous was even worse, with all who seemed to look into the flames walking towards the blaze and immolation.

"Dispatch this is Hotel 2-5 moving into suppression position." The pilot radioed in, as the helicopter came to a halt. "Engaging on your mark." He added, as the leader, a man dressed in a fire suit and gas mask, tapped one of his men on the shoulder and pointed at the chopper. Nodding, the man dressed in urban combat fatigues and a pair of glowing red goggles swung his launcher around and fired, the missile streaking towards the helicopter. "Dispatch we are under fire!!" The pilot yelled, as the missile detonated meters away from the fuselage, a wave of shrapnel ricocheting off the hull.

"Good work Red-Eye, that inferno round really shook them up." Flash-Over coughed, as the helicopter retreated. "Screaming Mimi, Granatwerfer keep up the bombardment, we need to keep that fire burning." He ordered the German couple dressed in matching leather pants and jackets as they fired there portable mortars towards the other side of the bay.

"While I appreciate the destruction Lawton," The fifth member of the group stated in a British accent, "but why reassemble 'the Fuse' to destroy a landmark in Australia?" He asked, as he fired a bayonet charge down into one of the ferries docked at the quay, the boat igniting within seconds of being struck.

"Because Bayonet, I serve a higher purpose ," Flash-Over stated, "and you guys serve me." As he started into the flames and smiled. "Now keep the police away from the bridge or you will become like those children of combustion down there." He added, before pointing at the tide of onlookers walking towards the opera house.

Down on the quay, as people either ran from the flames or staggered towards it, four people did neither, their eyes fixed on the artillery crew and munitions dump positioned on the bridge.

"You're analysis Swan." A man dressed like a fighter pilot, his helmet emblazoned with the Southern Cross, asked urgency evident in his voice.

"The flames are mystical Cross." The woman dressed in red and white power armour stated, her eyes fixated into the burning building. "There is a hypnotic quality to the inferno, as well as an underlying teleportation charm, whoever created the initial spell created it to enslave rather than destroy."

"How come you are not infected by this foul enchantment madame?" An uptight voice asked, its owner, an elderly man dressed in a 1920s explorer clothing asked, as he summoned a palisade of vines between the Opera House and the quay side.

"I'm already enslaved to a sorcerer my dear Botanist, such enchantment has had no effect on me ever since I put on this cursed armour." The Swan explained as a bayonet charge stabbed into the palisade and detonated, burning plant sap spraying everywhere.

"If we take the firing position can we shut-down the enchantment?" Southern Cross asked, as the final monstrous member of the team, the Thermatador, twitched slightly, his humanoid lobster like form showing little outward emotion.

"If we can take down the conduit for the magic than yes we can." The Swan answered, as hard-light wings sprouted from her back. "I'll draw their fire while the Botanist creates a ladder up to the terrorists."

"Herr Lawton." Screaming Mimi called, as a salvo of mini missiles shot across the bay from her launcher. "We have incoming super-humans from two positions."

"So the second line of defence is here." Flash-Over hissed to the other members of the Fuse. "Bayonet take Mimi down to the road level and stall them, Redeye and I will deal with the flyer." He added, as he opened fire up towards the Swan, the grenade exploding in her face with a pop, blinding light filling the sky.

"What about me Herr Lawton?" Granatwerfer asked as he fired another mortar round, the shell hitting an abandoned fire truck outside the Opera House, its crew long since vanished as they succumbed to the hypnotic effect of the flames.

"Keep firing Granatwefer, as long as we keep the blaze going nobody can extinguish it." Flash-Over ordered, as a spiralling beam of energy shot out and caused the remaining munitions to levitate off the platform including Granatwerfer's mortar, its operator gulping audibly as he jumped to reclaim his weapon.

"I got her boss." Redeye grunted, as he spotted the Swan concentrating on the gravity spell she was casting. Bending down on one knee, Redeye opened fire, a missile flying towards the Swan, only for the projectile to transform into black feathers moments before striking its target. "Uh boss, who is this bird?" Redeye asked, as Flash-Over opened fire, his round exploding above the Swan and showering her in burning cinders.

"She's the Swan, one of the Sydney Science Squad." Flash-Over stated, as the Swan flew over the villains firing position, her armour smoking. "Arm the proximity mines, we'll force her to land and then burn her and Rothbart's mystical armour before she can interfere any more than she already has.

Grey leaves and waxy stems fused together as the Botanist climbed higher up the bridge, the mutated saltbush plant ladder holding up against the exploding bayonets and mini missiles fired down at him and his team-mates.

Cursing to himself the Botanist watched as Thermatador climbed the metal structure under his own power, his progress drawring fire from the black armoured man with knives strapped to every part of his body, and away from the makeshift ladder.

"Any ideas on how to deal with her?" The Botanist asked, as the saltbush lower down snapped as the plant material burnt away from a direct missile strike.

"This!" Southern Cross stated, as he slammed his fist into the bridge, his blow leaving a glowing mark behind for a few seconds before fading. Seconds later Screaming Mimi let out a yell of pain as four cardinal stars appeared on her body, lines of electricity binding each point to the others in the shape of a cross.

"I was hoping to use 'the Crucifix' on the sorcerer rather than this hench-woman." He spat angrily, his face distorted and dripping as if made of hot wax. "I might have burnt out my environmental regulator valve, this world's very atmosphere is hostile to me until I can re-power it." He added, his eyes glowing violet from behind his helmet.

Thermatador leapt to where the Bayonet was perched, two holes chewed in his chitinous armour by direct hits from his attacker's blades. Drawing a particularly long bayonet attached to his thigh, the Bayonet lunged at Thermatador, the blade striking him in the compound eye and cracking the lens.

"When I'm done with this I’m going to have myself a big lobster dinner!" Bayonet sneered, as he thrusted his blade forward, only for Thermatador to grab the blade in his oversized left claw and snap it in two.

"Hardly villain, while the others were thinking out loud I was working on the real problem." Thermatador hissed, as he used the barbed nails on his right hand and delicately removed the goggles from Bayonets face. " Now look at it." He ordered, as Bayonet turned to face the blaze, his eyes reflecting the blaze across the bay, "Hmm as I hypothesised, there is a dampening field that negates the hypnotic undertones of the fire." He stated as Bayonet let go of the bridge, his body flailing as he fell, only for a set of summoned water-lilies to block his fall.

"How's it going down there." The Swan called, as she threw a hex at Granatwerfer, his body sinking up to the neck into the bridge.

"We were stalled on the road level Swan, but we are on our way up again." Southern Cross replied, as he saw Redeye open fire, his missiles and weapon exploding into confetti. "We're almost there."

"You won't make it in time." The Swan sighed as she dodged a pair of shorts fired at her by Flash-Over. "It's time, time to activate the Swan Song." She sighed, as she flew over the platform, the proximity mines detonating forcing her to crash to Flash-Over's feet.

"You're about to buŕn lady." Flash-Over hissed, as the Swan's armour flushed white, sparks emitting from the armoured plating.

"Calligh don't do it!" Southern Cross yelled up at the bridge, his words lost as a piercing scream spread across the bay, the mystical flames spread across the bay extinguishing whilst Flash-Over himself caught alight and teleported away.

"It's over." The Swan gasped, as her body fell off the platform, her form exploding into white feathers each one landing on the water their colouration darkening. Reaching the platform the rest of the Sydney Science Squad looked down at the fire damaged harbour, the empty armour and the remains of Calligh floating on the tide.

"Cross, we have confirmation of simular attacks around the globe." A voice announced over the radio link in his helmet. "Do you have any intel we can share with our allies?"

"Yeah," Cross snarled,"If they see that guy in the fire-suit, he's mine!"

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74, @cbishop, @tommythehitman and @stumpy49er

Flash-Over and his former teammates 'the Fuse' goes for a night at the opera, one that threatens to go up in flames as thy come into contact with the Sydney Science Squad...

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By stumpy49er

@impurestcheese: Oh wow. I loved this. Flash-Over is probably my favorite Cult of the Wicked Flame member. Though, I do love Furnace and Foxfire.

His crew the Fuse was really good too. Screaming Mimi, eh? I know, it's a German rocket artillery. Still, kind of a shout out to your favorite character.

Sydney Science Squad. I love em. First of all the name makes me think of the Science Patrol from Ultraman. The Squad members themselves are quite awesome. Thermatador is my favorite. Swan and Southern Cross are really awesome too. I wonder what happened to Swan.

Hope to read more about these characters.

One more thing. Loved the location. I have to visit the Sydney Opera House someday.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stumpy49er: Yeah Sydney is really beautiful, especially the waterfront. And yes Screaming Mimi was kind of a scream out to my favourite marvel character.

As for the fate of the Swan, her armour was cursed by a wizard called Rothbart. Once put on (it was disguised as her Sydney Swan's Cheerleading Uniform at the time) it grants amazing mystical abilities but also begins to drain the lifeforce of the wearer, with the Swan Song creating a magical null zone at the cost of all the life. Once dead, the users spirit joins Rothbart's harem (the armour targets women) in the Otherworld.

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stumpy49er: It's loosly based on the ballet Swan Lake in a corrupted sense

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@impurestcheese: See? I thought of Marvel's Screaming Mimi/Songbird when I saw your Screaming Mimi character, but with the hard light wings, I actually thought Swan was your version of Songbird.

Southern Cross enters into this? Is this the same character you debuted in CCC 32?

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Yeah there was some Songbird inspiration for both characters but not as much as people would imagine. As for Southern Cross, same name but different characters, this one is a man, the other one is well...who knows.

Also planning to reboot PSOC and require some guidance, any help would be appreciated

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Nothing wrong with reinventing a character from the name up, but you do it often enough that it can get confusing. Especially since you find ways to tie continuities together here and there. You're going to need a wiki soon. :)

As for PSOC, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Don't reboot! You've got a lot of time and stories put into that character, with some real consequences for actions going on. If anything, considering all the types of characters she's met, I'd find an in-story way to fix some things- healer, time loop, the wishing demon you used in the original Southern Cross story... something like that. To invalidate anything you've done with PSOC so far with just a flat reboot would make everything that comes after seem artificial.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Hmm thanks for the advice, I love the characters I created and most of what I've written, it's just outside you and me I have no idea about anyone else. And while that isn't a problem in itself it always feels hard (to me) to write an OC series without any reader input, but it's come to the point that I don't know where to go with Mean Streets despite having all these ideas for it.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: You've worked PSOC pretty hard in Mean Streets- to the point that I figured you were heading for a definite ending. Things were looking pretty grim for her. It might be an abrupt about face to have her avoid that end- to reboot her in-story- but if you've got other ideas for the character, you have to consider ways to get her back to where you want her. It may change your idea of the character, but she's come up against an array of fantastic foes. It's completely conceivable that something fantastic would eventually happen to her.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: You're a genius, you're just supplied what I need to end the Mean Streets and start a new series, thank you

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: You're welcome. But I'm not a genius- I just play one on the Internet. <star shaped gleam off of pearly white teeth>

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bumped. Cuz it's good and you should read it.

Also, waiting on the next.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stumpy49er: Sorry about the lateness, dealing with work problems over the last few evenings

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By stumpy49er

@impurestcheese: No worries. Real life takes priority.

I know I'm starting a new job myself.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

@impurestcheese: Catching up. Nice!

Okay so the Sydney Science Squad, bad guys roped into being good guys or just good guys? Also since this is a one-shot can you tell me what happened afterwards? Or at least what the papers/tweeter/freshbook etc would know.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: They are good guys, nothing happened after this, I kind of stopped writing CRANK stuff because as usual I was the last person writing regularly and I didn't have the stamina to continue by myself with no one watching

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers