Civil War # 4

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Project CADMUS, Headquarters

The updated CADMUS headquarters was looking clean and new. It was a silver & white business tower mixed with science, not unlike that of Wayne Enterprises. At the front desk was booths for Registration where vigilantes could sign up to employ themselves. About 50% of the superhero community was signing up for Registration, and even a great deal of the Expanded League were signing up as well. In her office, Amanda Waller gleamed with delight as she went over the government databases of the registered heroes. She looked in shock at Superman's Earth name being Clark Kent. Soon in her office walked in Lex Luthor with his usual Machiavellian smile on his face, dressed in his usual uniform. In a way he was the political advisor and financer of CADMUS.

Lex in a calm and subtle voice begins to speak "So how's registration turning, out Waller?"

Amanda Waller in an identical tone replies "Wonderful and training and employment has began, but now how we want it to be, the superhero community is still divided over this, I'm sure Batman has already created a team, Shame we couldn't have him on our side"

Luthor in no way afraid of what would happen responded "It'll be all right, With Superman on our side, we will now have a public face who can inspire many heroes to register"

Amanda Waller still apprehensive "That's not what I'm worried about, it's the fact that this Registration Act we created for metahumans could easily turn left. Batman is the most intelligent member on the Justice League roster, He could create an entire army that could easily beat anyone under us, He's someone I don't intend to go to war with."

Lex Luthor laughing at the fact that they would go to war with Batman "Go to war? I've battled along the Batman, As great as he is, he's just human, A human who won't fight fight his best friend, and a human that can't beat Captain Atom"

Amanda Waller confused at what Luthor was getting on to "Captain Atom, I know he's on our side and all but what's so special about him that you're so sure that he's better than the Batman"

Lex Luthor smirking "Captain Atom's powers are connected to the Quantum Field. He's the most powerful metahuman alive on Earth, even if he doesn't realize it. If he wanted to he could become a god."

Waller knowing that this was serious "Yes but that's power we must not tamper with. Things don't always work out how we want it. Though I do admit, once Superman inevitably goes rogue after the events of this forthcoming, Atom would be the perfect man to be the face of justice. But again this is all risky, even with the likes of John Stewart, Wonder Woman, & Galatea on our side, how can we even be sure we can win."

Luthor smiling "Amanda, let me tell you a story of what I was doing while in the five years of your absence in politics."

Waller rolling her eyes "I could care less about how the Source, chose you to return to Earth, while it let Darkseid to die, seeing him as unchangeable in his corrupt nature"

Luthor giving out a small chuckle "No it's details of how we'll win this war. As I was saying, after being granted amnesty, I traveled the Universe even running into AMAZO, and that time traveler Metron. You see I've always been known as a man of curioisity, and I started to delve into the Multiverse or as we could call, alternate realities"

Waller, appalled at his actions "You did what? You do realize what you're doing?" Knowing Luthor he might have made another grave mistake that may cost humanity

Luthor still smirking "Yes it was nothing bad. You see I visited a world known as Earth 616, a world not unlike ours, with superpowered freaks running everywhere. And in that universe lied a super-powered team known as the Avengers identical to our Justice League."

Waller not being interested "Let me guess, you tried to partner with your counterpart in Earth 6-1-6 to take over the world?"

Luthor butting off Amanda's jokes continued the story "It's not that simple...you see in Earth 6-1-6, while the fundamentals may be the same, we have multiple counterparts. In that universe, I was Norman Osborn a corrupt businessman involved in politics like myself, but in a way I was also a man named Tony Stark an industrialist with a power suit, except Stark was a hero, a member of the Avengers."

"In that world, there existed a government agency known as SHIELD, almost a replica of our CADMUS, and Maria Hill, one of your counterparts, enforced a Superhuman Registration Act, with the same blueprint and details as ours."

Waller who's interest began to rise "Exactly how did the Act of that Universe, come to be"

Luthor, subtle "Exactly as ours, Just like us, tensions against the superheroes began to rise, but in their community, those with special abilities are treated far more worsely, even leading to persecution at times. Anyway as I was saying, a group of young heroes known as the New Warriors, instigated a conflict with a villain who's power was a living timebomb, and they blew up a nearby school, killing children."

Waller now seeing the similiarities "It's just like how I used the Titans in New York, to create the MRA"

Luthor finishing his story "In the end this created a rift, between Stark, and a patriotic man with a shield, who was granted peak human abilities by a serum in the 1940s. Stark, Pro-Registration, & the patriot known as Captain America, Anti-Registration....and in the end we won"

Amanda Waller still befuddled by the story "But there's fallacies in your story. Because we have multiple counterparts in that universe, despite the patriot having the skills equivalent of our world's Batman, his love for America, is also synonymous with Uncle Sam...and Superman"

Luthor who had a 12 level intellect argued "But the fundamentals remain the same...In the end we're going to win....Oh and how could I forget, there existed a jovial hero by the name of Spider-Man, who Stark unmasked with consent, on public television as a sacrifical lamb to rally forces behind their Registration Act"

Amanda Waller catching on to Luthor's idea replied "So we should unmask..."

Luthor knowing just who he had in mind "The Flash....."

________________________________________________________________________________________

In China

Martian Manhunter, whose wife knew of his superhero identity, shifted to his form as a middle age Chinese man in casual beach clothes, sat by his wife in their bedroom, in a modest home in Shanghai.

His wife asked "Why back so early, I thought you had business to take care of"

J'onzz in his usual solemn character "I'm afraid in America, the government has began enforcing laws against my kind. With my true appearance, my abilities, and my stance against the laws...I would've been persecuting, unable to defend myself due to fear of an unjust trial. In this country I can still do my duties to mankind." After saying this, the disappointment and sadness of being turned against had him putting his head down, with tears slipping down his eye.

His wife attempting to comfort her loving husband "It's okay, What matters what happens, I'll always love you"

And so she shared a mutual kiss...one that wouldn't be broken up by CADMUS officers

______________________________________________________________________________________

Hub City

Huntress was fighting off criminals with her boxing skills in an alley as Question leaned on a building, relaxed as he read the newspaper

Question muttering to himself "Public sentiment towards heroes plummeting...heroes regarded as babies killers...With the rate the MRA is rising...The Cadmus Crisis of 5 years ago will re ignite itself. It will end in the Apocalypse....superheroes fighting each other....villains as sovereigns of unpatrolled neighborhoods...Once the government grows too powerful....Superman & Batman...usurp the throne...and rule as superpowered despots....

Huntress finishing off her last thug with a spin kick, leaving a pile of groaning bodies gives Question a kiss on the cheek before looking him in the face with gradual intensity.

"Batman said he's got himself a little revolution....Could care less...Would much rather focus on fighting these common scum" Her temper soon declined as she moved closer to Question with thoughts of intimacy.

Question with urgency "CADMUS...."

Huntress irritated at Question's lack of romanticism "Oh would you stop talking about them!"

Question warning Huntress "No CADMUS!"

And with that, a small group of CADMUS officers in high tech combat armor ran to where Huntress & Question were standing. In a polite voice which was masked by a voice filter that came with the armor

"I would like to see your vigilante I......" And his sentences was finished as a bullet was lodged in his stomach with him crying for help. However as the other officers came to help, the couple were escaping through the rooftops.

Question a man who wasn't fond of violence "You didn't have to shoot him."

Huntress, smiling, lacking any shame for her vigorous actions "Yeah but I wanted to."

Dr. Fate's Dimension

Inza walking over to her husband Kent Nelson who was meditating, in a lotus position floating

"Kent, you have been praying for days, Snap out of it."

Dr. Fate stepping out of the meditation position walked over to his kindred wife

"As Earth's Lord of Sorcery, I must pray for what is best for mankind, that will not cause bloodshed for those that I call my comrades."

Inza wondering if he was the Lord of Order that why didn't he restore order said "Than why are you here, Step in and do your duty as Protector, War is approaching, It is only a matter of time before the first shot is heard."

Dr. Fate in a calm voice, not wishing to argue with his wife "It isn't that easy. I have brethren who are on both sides of the Registration Act. But it is also my duty, to use my great amount of power to turn the sides of an Act, that has no clear right or wrong since it is only about the metahuman's role in the human state of affairs."

Inza a more passionate woman than her husband "But the Act violates acts of privacy. The mortals have used magicians such as Tala. What makes you think they won't breach into our home."

Dr. Fate standing his position, not afraid of the consequences "I disagree with the Act also. It is an atrocity that is only away to soothe, humanity's fear and prejudice toward the heroic community. But my duty is not to any one man or group, but to what is best for mankind"

Inza nodded in understanding

____________________________________________________________________________________

Planet Krypton

Planet Krypton, the superhero themed restaurant was now empty. The restaurant based in Metropolis formed as a superheroed theme food diner when the Justice League first came onto the scene was now empty except for staff. Seated in a booth was Superman in his Clark Kent persona, & Batman as Bruce Wayne who wore a leather jacket and black shirt.

Bruce in a calm but cold manner "So you sided with Luthor & Waller?"

Superman replieing in the same manner in which the question was given "I did what I had to do, Truth, justice and the American way, that is the code that I live by"

Batman in disgust at Superman's actions "So justice is teaming up with your worst enemy, and a bigoted government official against the people you love. "

Superman defending himself "Luthor & Waller are on the side of good. If Lex never defeated Darkseid, I would be dead right now...."

Batman whose anger began to rise "Side of good?! Don't you know this is what they wanted. It's nothing but a reupdated version of the Cadmus Crisis, designed to turn superheroes against each other."

Superman replied "Then why did they send me here to bring peace?"

Batman still in his mean-spirited tone "Because you're nothing but their puppet. They see you as a poster boy of the Registration Act, who is going to lead many heroes to getting their families killed. Did you think about me, Diana, John, Wally, anyone. What about Ma & Pa Kent?"

Superman who's anger now risen but kept his voice low so the staff didn't know what was going on "Hey you keep them out of this Bruce, They're under Cadmus protection. I'm doing what's best for the people, what's best for this country. It may seem like I'm their weapon but I'm not. All I'm doing is to make sure, that the citizens don't riot. We've grown too powerful, You of all people should know that."

Batman responded "Yes I do know that, hence why I didn't accept the offer to be Director of Project CADMUS, Even under the guise of Bruce Wayne, I could never work with the government. But what you're doing is endangering the lives of us all. If you think being a proponent of the MRA, is ending war with Luthor, you're wrong. Eventually you two will go back to war. All he's doing is keeping his enemies close"

"But my duty isn't to friendship Bruce, it's to the American people, the people that I have sworn to defend, the people that took me in as a family, took me in as one of their own...I can't live my life with them in constant fear."

Batman coldly said "You're right, you can't live your life in constant fear. Because you've confused fear and idealism. These people. They don't care about me, they don't care about you, when we bust our asses night and day, so they can sleep at night they've still managed to plot against us with this. All they care about is your lives. And sometimes we ask ourselves? Why save people who never give us the credit. And we say we don't care if we get the credit our not. We just do it so that we can know deep down in our heart, we did a good thing."

"But these people Clark, they'll turn on you. They don't like you. They fear you. They've been afraid of you ever since you let loose on Darkseid 5 years ago. All the endorsements, the commercials, is all just one way of saying Please don't kill me"

Superman taken aback coldly "That's not true Bruce. You're just more paranoid than usual. These people actually care about us. Our duty is to them. How can we protect them, when they see us as gods. But you just think you're the champion of justice because your parents got killed."

Batman who Superman now hit a chord in his heart "No, I know I'm incorruptible because I know my limits, I do what I do so some little kid's parents doesn't get killed by some punk with a gun. But your ideology's all twisted. You believe that the world is just some place where everything is pure and untapped, but it's not. The world is a cruel oasis, that you will never realize, because you try so hard to be one of these people. You try to be the white knight, when you fail to realize, these people will never accept an alien from Krypton."

"You know Bruce, it's your kind that's just going to breed a new set of darker vigilantes, that will betray everything I stand for. I tried to come to you in peace, and savor what every friendship we have. But if the battlefield is where this argument will end, so be it. "

And with that Superman stormed out the restaurant leaving Bruce alone, who shed a tear....

To Be Continued.........

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@jnr6lil: This debate had very strong points on both sides. It makes question which side I'd chose if I was a vigilante in this war.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@dngn4774: That's what I intended to do. I felt that the original Civil War event was too one-sided.