Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#1  Edited By The Impersonator

SOME OF THE LOGOS, CHARACTERS AND SETTINGS ARE THE PROPERTY OF DC COMICS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Rated M for Mature

Appropriate for readers 18 and over. May contain extreme violence, sexual themes, nudity, or profanity.

No Caption Provided

Batman: Secret Files, Chapter 20- First Knight

Two Weeks Ago.....

I stood besides Alfred who is currently sleeping on the hospital bed. The doctor said that Alfred will be fine eventually and will have to rest for the next three days or so. The monitor readings were normal. It's a good thing that Alfred didn't die. I wonder what life would be like without the butler. I just couldn't imagine it, the pain of losing someone like a father who took care of me all those years. He was always there for me. The fact that he didn't expect I would become the Dark Knight someday. Except that I don't kill people for vengeance.

A knock came out from the door. I opened the door and saw James Gordon, standing in front of me. He looked kind of tired as usual like any detective out there, solving the horrible crime cases. I let him inside the patient room. He looked towards Alfred, probably wondering when he's going to wake up.

"Bruce...I'm so sorry that...this thing happened to Alfred."

"It's alright, James. He'll be fine. I'm sure of it."

"I sure hope so. That lunatic...Well's he dead."

"Dead?"

"Yeah...Haven't you heard the news lately?"

I wouldn't want to tell Jim that what I have actually done. Things have to go smoothly according to the Stranger's plan. I wanted to tell him the truth that Batman never killed the Berserker. Besides, people wanted me to kill the Berserker or wanted to see him dead. It doesn't matter to them. Although, I didn't have to listen to them. That was the choice I would make. I just have to trick them so that Batman can still save lives. However, there were some people notified that the Batman's first kill may have turned himself into a killer, just like the Berserker. I ignored the thoughts and spoke to the Commissioner in a calm manner.

"I'm...surprised. I never thought Batman would do such a thing."

"That's why I asked you," the Commissioner said. "You're the one who's supplying him with your toys."

That was the time I had to make an announcement to the world, I was helping Batman all these years. It is merely the truth. But they don't know that I was Batman. Assuming that Batman made his first kill, would make the entire police force think that Batman might become a dangerous vigilante. I can see the hard look on James Gordon's face.

"Look, Bruce. I want you to know that you're dealing with a vigilante here. I know him well. But this is the first time, he killed the madman. When he first told me on the phone, I couldn't believe it."

"James, I know. But don't you think Batman wouldn't kill the madman in cold blood? He would make it a false kill."

"A false kill?"

I knew he would ask that question. There are times that I have to be careful in not telling the whole truth. It can cause trouble for all I know. Except that there are some people, the other superheroes know my secret identity. But what would happen if I told James the whole truth? Would he believe it? There's no telling of what might happen. Unless if things are out of the way, I'll have no other choice but to tell him.

"Bruce, I don't know what to say. But a false kill? If it was a false kill, why would he lie to the entire Gotham about it?"

"Because there are people who might be against him."

"Did Batman ever tell you?"

"No."

"I see. Then I'll also have to be careful about him. If you're saying what is true, then Batman is tricking the people whose lives were lost, just to save more of this city. It would be better to tell the truth. Besides, I've always been there for him no matter what happens."

James was right. Maybe, I should have told the truth. He knows about the Stranger and the missions that Batman has to do for him. I clenched my fists, knowing that I might have made a mistake. What was I thinking?

"Bruce, It's ok. I'll talk with Batman about what actually happened. Maybe, he'll tell me all the details. Then I'll understand why he did it."

James Gordon went outside the patient room. As he was about to close the door behind him, he looked to me and said, "Bruce...Tell Alfred to say hi for me."

"I will."

After staying for nearly two hours at the hospital, I went back to the mansion, hopelessly feeling tired at the moment. I couldn't stop thinking of what the Berserker had done. If I had somehow stopped him from killing all those innocent people, I wouldn't have to lie to Gotham that I killed the Berserker.

I sat on the chair, turning on the television. The first channel showed some beer and car commercials. I switched to other channels until I found the news channel, Gotham News.

"In today's news, the Berserker have caused so many innocent lives in the past week. The officials say that the Berserker was going mad, killing anyone on sight. People were outraged through that moment, saying bad things against Batman. People were saying that Batman didn't kill the Berserker. Due to those preventive actions, the Berserker killed those people in the process. But Batman made that decision to kill the madman for the people of Gotham City. They were happy to hear the good news. However, Batman's first kill did raise some questions for the police force and other citizens who were against Batman killing bad guys. Is Batman becoming more like the madman or still just the same hero saving the day in our daily life?..."

I turned off the television, deciding to take some rest. I closed my eyes, drifting away into darkness. The same darkness where I was once a child who was caught with so many bats, flying around him. I was scared at that time. But then as I gradually grew old, I overcame my fear. I opened my eyes and saw someone standing in front of me. He wore the eyeglasses that made him look like a high-school geek. His hair was combed and brushed to the side. Not anyone knows who or what he is.

"Hello Bruce. It's been a long time."

"I know. I guess you heard the news."

Clark Kent walked through the guest room, staring at the family photos. It seems like this was the first time he had seen them. But he just want to pass by and see things how I've been doing these days.

"How's Alfred?"

"He's doing fine."

Clark took one of the family photos and stared at it. It was the photo of me and my late father.

"Bruce, did you actually kill him?"

I got up from the chair, walking past the great Superman. I want to tell what really happened. But he shouldn't be knowing these kind of things. It's a mission, after all.

"What if I did?"

Clark put the photo back to its rightful place. He said, "No...You wouldn't do it. I know you, Bruce!"

"It's the truth, Clark. I had to kill him. He's gone berserk."

Clark stared at me, giving an almost angry look on the face. He probably have questions to ask about what actually happened. A journalist who wanted more answers coming from a person's mouth. He stepped closer towards me. I can tell the look from his eyes that he was disappointed in me. Either way, he may not believe that I killed the madman.

"Do you know what you're saying, Bruce?"

"I know what I'm saying, Clark. People wanted him dead. Believe me. I had to do it."

Clark didn't say anything further. He looked down as if he had nothing else to say. He clenched his fist and punched me on the face harder like steel. I nearly fell down on the carpet floor. I didn't hit him back.

"What are you going to do, Clark? Send me to jail just because I killed him?"

Clark Kent still didn't say anything about it. He walked past me as I was making myself stand on the floor. He opened the front door and closed it behind him. Something tells me that Clark probably didn't want to speak with me any more. Or that he thinks I'm lying about my first kill. But I'm pretty sure why he punched me. I guess I deserved it.

All of a sudden, I heard a buzz coming from my phone. I grabbed the phone out of my pocket, checking the phone screen. A message was displayed.

We have another one.

Great. I guess I have to catch another madman on the loose. But this time, I'll make sure that I do the right way.

To be continued in Batman: Secret Files, Chapter 21- Way of the Warrior.

Whoa! Did Batman made a mistake? What do you think? How will he get out of this one? You'll have to find out in the next chapter of BATMAN!

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

Edited.