Captain Marvel

Thor

Vision

Firebird

Icon

Mantis

Kang the Conqueror
The Florida Everglades:

Iron Man flew next to the JLA jet, using the scanning device to track down the Time Bomb. Inside the jet were Giant-Man, Wasp, and Batman. Flying over the dense, green foliage, Iron Man got a reading on the scanner. He signaled to his partners. Batman acknowledged, and looked for a place to land. He found a clearing close to the spot Iron Man had indicated. Iron Man had gone on ahead to find the bomb.

"We'd better hurry and catch up with Iron Man," Giant-Man said.

"He's probably found the bomb by now," Wasp added.

Batman shook his head. "If he had, he would have returned by now. Something has gone wrong. We'd better get there, fast. And be ready for trouble!"

They exited the ship and headed to the spot Iron Man had indicated. But something blocked their way. They came upon a big, shaggy creature, with large red eyes and a root for a nose. It walked on two legs and had large hands with long fingers. The three JLA members stopped, startled.

They didn't know what to make of the Man-Thing!

"What is it?" Wasp asked.

"I have no clue, Jan," Giant-Man said, "but that could be the reason that Iron Man hasn't returned."

"Perhaps," Batman said.

The creature looked at them with little interest and then moved off, vanishing into the woods.

"We should follow it," Giant-Man said. "My instincts tell me that this thing is involved. It's not a coincidence that this creature is here."

"I think Hank's right," Wasp stated.

"You two go on ahead," Batman said.

"Where are you going?" Giant-Man asked.

"I have a suspicion that this really is a coincidence," Batman said. "I'm going to look around for Iron Man and the device on my own."

"Well, okay. Good luck," Wasp said.

Batman vanished into the shadows, while Giant-Man and the Wasp followed the Man-Thing. Nearby . . .

Iron Man dragged himself out of the mud. His armor had been damaged, but not severely. This battle was not going well. He had been taken by surprise and had not been able to make a comeback. He needed a moment to gather his wits but this robot was not giving it to him.

The robot was large and powerful. Although its voice was basically unemotional, Iron Man could have sworn he heard a trace of disgust in its voice.

"Your body is not pure!" the tall robot said. "You are not a construct. You are part flesh. A cyborg! This is sacrilege!"

Great, Iron Man thought, a religious fanatic robot who thinks I'm a half-man, half-machine! Just my luck!

Iron Man fired a volley of repulser blasts at the robot, but the mechanoid was made of some sort of futuristic, refractive material that caused the beams to ricochet harmlessly off of its metal shell. The robot returned fire, knocking Iron Man a dozen feet across the swamplands.

Batman had crept silently to the site and was watching the battle. He knew that the robot was out of his league. But not Giant-Man's! Close by . . .

Giant-Man and the Wasp thought they had lost track of the Man-Thing in the overgrowth. But suddenly, the Man-Thing sprung out at them. The creature really had no conscious thoughts. It merely reacted. The humans were following it and it defended itself.

It swung a clawed hand at the two Avengers, but they managed to avoid it. Giant-Man shot up to his maximum height of 25 feet. He was now taller than the Man-Thing. He grabbed the beast and started to wrestle with it. But something about the beast's appearance and mindless stare made him nervous. He was just a little bit scared.

And whoever knows fear burns at the Man-Thing's touch!

Hank felt his arms begin to blaze and burn. Smoke started to rise from his burning flesh. The Wasp gasped. She shrunk down to insect-size and pelted the Man-Thing with stings, but it didn't react.

Just in time, Batman arrived and lobbed an incendiary grenade at the Man-Thing. Swamp gas in the air helped increase the effect and the Man-Thing was quickly covered in flames. He lumbered away, seeking water. It dived into the swallows and vanished from sight.

"Hank, are you hurt?" Wasp asked, concerned.

"My arms are burned, but I'll live," Hank answered.

"Come with me, quickly!" Batman said. "Iron Man is in trouble." Not far away . . .

Iron Man was trying to mount an attack against the relentless religious robot. The mechanoid moved in for another attack. Suddenly, Giant-Man leaped out of the bushes and grabbed the metal man. The robot emitted an electrical jolt that stunned Hank and threw him off. Wasp fired stings into the robot's eyes. It took the mechanoid a moment to reorient itself. It started to fire laser bursts and small projectiles at the Wasp. It was all that Wasp could do to avoid them. Batman tried to distract the robot with another incendiary. It only hesitated for a moment, and continued going after Iron Man.

But the distractions allowed Iron Man the time to recover. He noticed that the robot's eyes were its vulnerable point. He activated his full arsenal and fired at the thing's face. The robot staggered backwards, damaged. Iron Man continued his attack, determined to finish the robot off.

Meanwhile, Batman spotted the Time Bomb nearby, half-buried in mud. He rushed to try and destroy it, but bounced off its force field. It took him a minute to recover, when he noticed the countdown was too fast.

5 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .

The Time Bomb spit out waves of temporal energy. The jungle became even more overgrown. Animals turned into prehistoric beasts. The nearby cities disappeared, being replaced by a Jurassic terrain. As for the JLA members, they were transformed as well. Giant-Man became an immense Gorilla, something like King Kong. The Wasp, due to her insect-like qualities, was transformed into a small bug. As for Iron Man and Batman, they were changed into armored conquistadors from Pizarro's 1560 expedition to Florida and South America to find the legendary fountain of Youth.

A tyrannosaur appeared, roaring menacingly. The giant simian Hank charged the creature and battled it. The two conquistadors saw the dinosaur and Gorilla savagely warring, and bid a hasty retreat. Edinburg, Scotland:

Flash had arrived on the British Island first and had been racing around at top speed trying to locate the Time Bomb. Meanwhile, Icon, Firebird, and Vision had reached Scotland. They carried the device which traced temporal energy.

Vision examined the readings. "It would appear that the device we seek is on top of Edinburg Castle."

As they descended, Flash spotted them coming down. He ran and met them on the roof of the ancient castle. The Time Bomb was there.

"I just tried to grab it and vibrate it to pieces, but its protected by a force field," Flash said.

"Let me try," Icon said. He punched the force field. It held. "I think I can get through. Just give me a few minutes."

"We do not have that much time," Vision stated. He turned intangible and tried to pass through the force field, but was repelled.

Firebird tried to help Icon's assault by making an attempt to burn through the force wall. They didn't get the chance to succeed. A wave of energy came out of the Time Bomb and engulfed the duo. They froze.

"What happened?" Flash asked.

"They appear to be frozen in time," Vision said. "We must be cautious in our attempt to destroy the bomb."

"Any suggestions?" Flash asked.

"I have one idea," the android replied.

The Vision took to the air and flew up, up, up. He reached cold, thin air and stopped his assent. Then, changing his molecular density to its maximum weight, he dropped like a meteor. His computer brain had calculated the exact position he needed to be in to land directly on top of the Time Bomb. Vision assumed that this would provide sufficient force to destroy the Time Bomb before it retaliated.

But the bomb counted down to detonation too soon. 5 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .

Time was changed. Scotland reverted to its pre-industrial self. Only the old castle remained. The modern buildings vanished. The men were all dressed in kilts, as in the film Braveheart.

Icon and Firebird remained frozen, but the Flash's speed force energy reacted badly with the temporal forces. His molecules vibrated out of control and he disappeared from our time continuum completely.

The Vision had almost reached the point of impact, when he was enveloped by the Time energy. He was transformed into an earlier version of android, the very first android . . . the original Human Torch.

The Torch found himself falling towards a castle. He activated his flames and hovered over the city. "Where in the world am I?" he wondered.

The primitive Scots saw the flaming, flying man and assumed him to be a demon of some sort. They threw things at him. They shot arrows at him. The arrows burnt up before they reached him. "What is going on?" the Torch wondered. He flew off, looking for answers. Rome, Italy:

Wonder Woman and Thor reached the city. As the JLA's most powerful and experienced members, it was decided that the two of them could handle matters alone. They didn't use the temporal tracing device. Thor relied on his hammer to track the time distortion. He flew ahead of Wonder Woman's jet. His hammer throbbed urgently and he knew that he had found what he wanted. He gestured to Wonder Woman to follow him down.

Soon, the powerful duo found themselves in the center of the Roman Coliseum, studying the Time Bomb.

"Allow me the pleasure of destroying this vile machine, fair maiden," Thor said.

"Please do," the Amazon said.

Thor slammed swung his hammer but another force field saved the bomb. "By Odin, it hath withstood a blow from Mjolnir! I must strike harder, still!"

"Allow me to assist you," Wonder Woman said.

Together, they pounded at the force field. It started to buckle and in another few seconds it would have collapsed completely, but then the device released a hallucinogenic gas. Thor was immune to such an attack, but the Amazon was not. She looked to her left and thought she saw Hercules standing next to her. Blind rage, fueled by the gas, overwhelmed her. The man who had once savaged her mother stood close by, in range of her vengeance.

"You!" she cried, furious. "Fiend! I will destroy you, in my mother's name!"

Thor was surprised. "Eh? What sayeth thou?"

Wonder Woman caught him with a powerful blow that knocked him across the coliseum. He recovered quickly. "Are you mad, woman? What possesses thee?"

Wonder Woman pressed her attack. She was just as strong as Thor, and much faster. Thor, trying not to injure her, was hard pressed to keep her from killing him.

Meanwhile, the bomb counted down. 5 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .

In moments, the coliseum was once again as it was in the days of the Roman Empire. It was filled with toga-clad Roman cheering the gladiators on in their battle. Nero sat in the Emperors box, waiting to see who wins, so he could give his ‘Thumbs up' or ‘Thumbs down' ruling. Back in the Hall of Justice . . .

Kang had set up shop in the hall. Jarvis and a few technicians lay spewed about the hall, unconscious. The hall's defenses were disabled, no match for Kang's advanced science. Mantis was immobilized by some sort of ray. She could only move her lips, allowing her to speak. Kang, in the meantime, was working on some sort of machine.

"What are your plans for this one, Kang?" Mantis asked.

"There is another reason that I wanted to come to this time period, aside from destroying the JLA," Kang said. "I came because of Him!"

"Him?" Mantis asked, "Who is this ‘Him' you speak of?"

Kang continued his work. "You wouldn't know of Him yet, but you will. Very well. It will be several years before he comes to prominence. The man known as ‘Him' will become the most powerful man in the world, perhaps the Galaxy. His abilities will be limitless. He will do miraculous things and then vanish from our universe to visit other realms of existence, never to return. But he will be revered and remembered as a living god. Ever since I had access to time travel, I have always thought of paying him a visit. If I could make him an ally, we would be an unstoppable team."

"And what keeps you from visiting this person?" Mantis asked.

"I do not like going to meet a being more powerful than myself with my hat in my hand," Kang said, "I need something, an edge. So, I did research on Him. Little is known of Him, but I did learn that his father was described as a ‘Warrior from beyond time', and his mother was the last survivor of the Priests of Pama. You, Mantis, are the last of the Priests. I believe that you are the Celestial Madonna, the one who will give birth to Him!"

"This is nonsense!" Mantis said. "This one is no Madonna and certainly not the mother of a God."

"But you will be!" Kang replied. "And I will be the father . . . A warrior out of time! And then, as the father of this mighty being, I will have influence over Him and be able to form an alliance. I will use his power to rule the world, perhaps the universe! I will be the ultimate conqueror!"

"This one will not make a child with you!" Mantis protested.

"You have no choice," Kang said. "Once I verify that you are the Celestial Madonna, you and I will mate."

Kang studied Mantis' DNA on a machine, and compared it to the only recorded DNA sequence from Him. Finally, the results came back. It was positive! "Yes!" Kang cried, overjoyed. "The DNA matches! You are the Celestial Madonna! You are the mother of Him!"

Mantis didn't know what to say. Before she had time to think of something, she spotted someone large leaping into the room. He rammed into Kang . . . Hard! Kang was knocked roughly to the ground. Only his armor saved him from serious injury. Sore and angry, he looked up at his attacker. He was surprised.

"Charlie-27?" Kang said surprised.

"Glad you remember me, Kang!" Charlie-27 said. "Because I'm placing you under arrest, for violations of temporal law and attempted insurrection in the 31st century!"

"You will regret pursuing me through time, Jovian!" Kang yelled. "You and you Legion companions have been the bane of my existence for far too long!"

Kang let loose his entire formidable arsenal on the Jovian Legionnaire. Charlie-27's density allowed him to absorb incredible amounts of punishment, but Kang's weapons were too much even for him. His stamina couldn't protect him from sonic waves or gas. Charlie-27 was weakening, teetering on his feet. Kang smiled, certain of his victory.

Just then, in a flash of red, Captain Marvel burst in. He recognized Kang by description, and the Wisdom of Solomon told him not to hesitate. He slammed into Kang's force field with power that Kang had not experienced since 1943, when he faced the Hulk. Kang had a moment of panic. He almost died after being sucked into a singularity when the Hulk overtaxed Kang's power. Kang didn't want the same thing to happen again. He stunned Captain Marvel with a light burst and fled from the room. He activated his cloaking device, which rendered him invisible. When Captain Marvel recovered and followed him into the next room, Kang was nowhere to be found.

Captain Marvel then freed Mantis, who filled her and Charlie-27 in on Kang's scheme. Kang stood nearby, invisible, listening. He plotted his counter attack.

"Can you reverse the effects of the Time Bombs?" Captain Marvel asked Charlie-27.

"I brought something with me that can return things to the way they were," Charlie-27 said. "Here!"

He handed Captain Marvel something that looked like a calculator. "Fly over the altered zones and depress the top button," Charlie-27 said. "It will release microscopic chronal-bacteria, which will act as an antidote and set things to right."

"I'll get on it right away!" Captain Marvel said, flying at the speed of Mercury to restore time to normal.

"This one suspects that Kang will soon return!" Mantis said to Charlie-27.

"I know he will," Charlie-27 said. "And I know what to do!" Charlie activated his own time device. 1987: The Hall of Justice.

It was the one-year anniversary of the founding of the Avengers League. Founding member the Sentinel, who had retired months ago, returned to his costumed identity for the ceremony. Current leader J'Onn J'Onzz presided. Also present were Thor, Aquaman, Ms. Marvel, Green Arrow, and the newest member, Barry Allen, a.k.a. the Flash.

"And on this special day, I am very glad that the Sentinel is able to join us," J'Onn said, "He was one of the guiding lights who -- "

In a flash of light, the Avengers League vanished! Charlie-27 activated his device. Suddenly, Kang re-materialized. "You have not won yet, Legionnaire!" the Conqueror yelled. "I will still have your head, and will still claim the Celestial Madonna!"

Before Kang could launch a new attack . . . the Avengers League appeared!

They were in the same room, in the same building, which they had been scooped up from. Not much had changed. They weren't even aware that they had traveled through time. From their perspective, it was Kang, Mantis and Charlie-27 who appeared out of nowhere.

"Who in the blue blazes are you three?" Green arrow asked.

"Blast it!" Kang hissed. "Not them!"

Kang launched an attack on the Avengers Leaguers.

"He's not a friend, Ollie!" Ms. Marvel said.

"What was your first clue, Missy?" Arrow asked.

"Let us show yon varlet the error of his ways!" Thor said. "Avengers League Assemble!"

Charlie-27 and Mantis joined the Sentinel, Martian Manhunter, Thor, Aquaman, Green Arrow, Ms. Marvel, and Flash as they made a mass attack on the Conqueror.

Kang fumed with rage. Everything had fallen apart. By now, Captain Marvel was curing the time diseased areas. And with the addition of these new — or rather, old heroes, it seemed that Kang's chances of destroying the JLA and mating with the Celestial Madonna were very small. Too small for Kang's liking.

"Very well, you have won!" Kang said. "I choose the better part of valor, and will live to fight another day. But I will return for you, Mantis! The Celestial Madonna will be my bride!"

Kang vanished back into time, returning to his own century. The Avengers Leaguers looked confused.

"Who's the friggin' ‘Celestial Madonna' anyway?" Green Arrow asked.

"And who are these two?" Flash asked.

Charlie-27 pressed the button on his device again. "Its better you don't know. We have to protect the time stream."

The Avengers Leaguers disappeared.

"Where did you send them?" Mantis asked.

"Back where they came from," Charlie-27 said. "They'll return the exact second that they left. The time travel disorientation will muddle their memories so that they won't have any clear memory of what happened. They won't remember you or me."

"Then this is over," Mantis said. "This one thanks you for your help."

"My pleasure. Anything for the Celestial Madonna," Charlie-27 said.

Mantis didn't smile. Charlie realized that she was overwhelmed by the foreknowledge of her destiny. "Listen, you be careful, okay," Charlie said. "If you really are the Celestial Madonna, Kang will be back. And he may not be the only one. Watch you back. Good luck, Mantis."

Charlie-27 went outside, got into his Time Bubble and returned to the 31st century.

Meanwhile, Captain Marvel had successfully returned the time-altered areas to normal. Everyone was back to the way they were and the Flash re-appeared in our dimension. The robot, which Iron Man had fought, was gone. Everyone was confused and Captain Marvel had a lot of explaining to do.

As for Mantis, she had a lot of thinking to do.