ASPECT: Eclipso - Black Sun Part 9

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

9. Leaving Home

Karissa turned and looked at herself in the mirror once more.

“Wow. I mean, just, WOW!

Diana sat in the chair behind her with a bemused look on her face.

“I think that might be the fifth time you've said that. And yes, it is very fetching.”

Karissa swung the mace around like it weighed nothing.

“But I don't understand, Diana.” She said, flexing the great wings that sprung from her back, “What does this armour... this mace... these WINGS... what do they mean?”

Diana stood and approached Karissa.

“Surely you are aware of the considerable legacy your parents left for you? This helmet, this armour and wings, they are the legacy of your mother, Hawkwoman, one of the most fierce warriors I ever fought alongside. The ring was your father's made from him and it seems that somewhere within you is the image, the very spirit of both your parents and in focussing your ring, you created this... this homage to them.”

“But I have no powers? I mean, i've never shown any before?”

“And you have no powers now, not as such.” Diana placed her hands upon Karissa's shoulders and held them firmly, “This is a gift from your parents. Neither of them had powers either, but both were the finest of heroes. That is what they gave to you. Honour. Courage. Truth. These are the greatest powers of all and this armour, this manifestation of yourself proves it.”

Karissa looked at the ring upon her finger and touched it's centre.

“But the kryptonite...”

Diana looked at the ring too, her eyes dark and troubled.

“Yes... the ring gives you something... more. It makes you capable... maybe the only one capable of standing against Superman.”

Karissa's eyes suddenly grew wide and the colour drained from her skin.

Nonononononono...” She stammered as she staggered backwards , pulling the ring from her finger, the armour, wings and mace disappearing instantly, “Are you CRAZY!?! Stand against Superman!? He punches planets and kills Batmen and stuff! No way. No WAY!”

Diana slowly walked toward her.

“Karissa, i'm sorry...” She held Karissa's hand which held the ring within it gently and pulled her closer, “I didn't mean to scare you. No one is saying that you must face down Superman... ever. Not even the bravest of warriors would wish such a thing... But you do have a weapon, perhaps the only weapon which can hurt the Man Of Steel. What you choose to do with that is up to you... but you must know the power that you carry and what it could do for humanity.”

Karissa opened her hand and held the glowing band out to Diana upon her shaking, sweating palm.

“Then you take it.” She said, her face wet with tears, “You take the ring and use it to beat him. You could do it. I'm no one. You're Wonder Woman.”

Diana slowly lifted her hand and placed it around Karissa's, gently closing Karissa's fingers back around the ring.

“I have only ever been an emissary upon this world. I have never truly belonged here. My world was destroyed by Eclipso and his darkness... the future is not mine. I am the last of my people and I will fight with everything I have to ensure that the same does not happen to yours. But this is your fight, make no mistake about that. The future is yours, but you and your kind must decide what that future will become. You must decide, Karissa.”

Karissa stared at the ring held in her palm as if she were staring into the very pit of her soul.

“I'm frightened.” She said, no more tears, just speaking truth.

“As are all heroes.” Diana replied, “Your father was a Green Lantern, some would say the greatest of them all and his existence... the existence of all the Green Lanterns was a testament to what you can achieve by overcoming great fear.”

“There are no more lanterns, are there?”

“No.” Diana stood and motioned to the broken Lantern, it's green hue long since tarnished which stood amongst her monuments, “Eclipso extinguished the green flame of will, just as he shattered the other Corps and sent them scattered across the universe. That ring is all that remains.”

Kariss straightened her back and once again held the ring up to her face.

“Wasn't there an oath or something I had to say?” She said, looking at the band for some kind of clue.

“There was.” Diana replied, “And it was as important as the Corps itself... but it means nothing now. You must find your own belief now, your own oath to live by. It will come in time.”

Karissa slipped the ring back onto her finger and the ring sparked once more, the armour materialising around her, great flames again flying from her back forming into wings.

“The future is mine, huh?”

“As it always has been.” Diana replied proudly.

“My friends...”

“They are preparing to do something foolhardy.” Diana replied, moving to the wardrobe that stood in her room, “They are not too far from here, making slow progress bumping into every second tree in the dark apparently.”

“You let them go? I mean, you seem very calm about all this?”

“Firstly, it is not my responsibility to nursemaid children. Your decisions are your own and you will never learn to stand if you do not learn to fall... Secondly, I sent along a chaperone.”

“A chaperone?”

“Oh, they have no idea he's there.” Diana slid the wardrobe along the wall like it was made of paper, revealing a doorway behind and a tunnel beyond. “But I would trust him with my life... and theirs. This is one of the many secret escape routes that Batman, in his infinite distrust had built into these quarters. You have all you need. Go to your friends. Make your choices.”

Karissa stepped into the tunnel and peered into the darkness beyond.

“I can't believe you're just letting us go like this.”

“I have my own reasons.” Said Diana, grabbing Karissa's ring hand firmly and pointing it into the darkness of the tunnel, illuminating the way, “Your absence will cause the others to panic, will force them into action. We will make a move against the darkness then, no matter the cost.”

Karissa turned and stared at Diana in shock.

“You'd use us like that!?”

“I would take advantage of an opportunity like that, yes.” Diana pulled Karissa closer to her. “I am a warrior born, Karissa and often the hard decisions must fall to the warrior for the greater good... whether they want the burden or not.”

Diana released her grip and walked back to the centre of the room.

“We all have our choices to make, Karissa. I am not, nor have I ever been any different to you.”

Karissa looked at her ring one more time.

“I'm not ready.” She said calmly.

“None ever are.” Replied Diana. “We simply make do.”

Karissa smiled sadly and without another word or gesture allowed her emerald wings to cast her into the tunnel, the ring guiding her by it's light until she was gone.

Diana slid the wardrobe back into place, before opening it's doors. Within was Diana's own armour; her shield, sword and bow... the weapons of an Amazonian... of a warrior.

“We simply make do.” She said to herself and the silence answered.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#2 BumpyBoo  Moderator

Oh now come on, stop it you! The emotions! My little heart can't take it :O

No wonder the poor girl is frightened, what teenager wouldn't be scared given all that power? Agh my heart really goes out to her :/

That said, I can see from this installment that big things are afoot, and cannot wait to see what happens next. I'm sure she will do her folks proud, when the time comes (also thank you for reminding me about these, this is turning out to be a lovely way to spend a sleepy Sunday :D)