ASPECT: Eclipso - Black Sun Part 4

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

4. The Day The Heroes Died

Diana paused a moment, trying to fight back the tears that welled in her eyes.

“Diana... “ Grayson was by her side now, reaching out to her tentatively, “you don't have to...”

“No!” She snapped, pulling herself together as she had so many times before and refusing Grayson's kindness, “It must be told. These children must be reminded of the truth!” As her words echoed around the chamber, the others, hidden amongst the shadows until now began to move forward, compelled by the Princesses words, by a story they had heard before, in splinters and shards, but never from the mouth of one who had been there, who had witnessed it herself. They were young, for the most part, teens, scattered amongst the tattered remnants of heroes gone by, some dressed in the garb of those who went before, but all frightened, all bowed by their present circumstance.

“We... the Justice League fought, as we always had. But never before had we had to fight against those we had sworn to protect. So many... so full of hate and it was through them we had to go to get to Eclipso. Innocence fell before us, innocent souls sacrificed so that we could get to the cause of all this evil. I was, am a warrior, my heart was girded for such acts. It is always the duty of the warrior to take upon themselves the hardest of decisions. But Superman... he was the truest of us all, his heart could not be fettered, numbed in such a way and facing the base inhumanity of man like that... he faltered and it was in that moment that Eclipso struck. He drove a great sliver of the Black Diamond into Superman's back, drove it straight through into his heart and Superman... Superman fell.

For all our hardships, heroes have a charmed life in many ways and often we have known champions to rise after we were sure all was at an end. And so it was that Superman too rose that day, but not in any way we would have wanted. For with the Crystal stuck within his very heart, Superman had become darkness, his soul turned into shadow; Superman had risen as the Prince of Eclipso's whim. None could stop him and he hurled himself at us with the ferocity of an animal. He snapped the spine of the Flash, blinded Green Lantern and left him to the masses. He skewered Aquaman upon his very own royal trident and burned J'onn in the very fires of our own Watchtower. I held against him as long as the strength ran within me, but never before had I faced a Superman unrestrained; the full force of his power unleashed by the black rage which now coursed within him. So too would I have shared in the fate of the League if fortune, if you can call it, had not shined on me.

“Batman...”

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#2 BumpyBoo  Moderator

Ah, I really love the way you write Diana, you get a nice balance :) I tend to find fan fic Diana (and sometimes comic book Diana tbh depending on the writer....) can come across as either a bit hysterical and unbalanced, or a total ball buster! Very tricky to get right, but impressed with how you have handled her in parts 3 and 4. Nice job indeed, cariad :):):)