Asguardian: Chapter 4

TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Edited By TypingKira

At home, I went straight to the guest room, which, over the course of my lifetime, had become the Library. Dressed only in a pair of shorts and a tanktop, I hoped that maybe taking off the weight of a full pair of jeans and a jacket would make it easier to . . . hell, make it easier to fly.

When I get a scary book, I mark all the freakiest parts with a black dot on the corner. I read the worst parts of the scariest books, hoping that maybe, if I startled myself, I could do it again. That maybe, I could fly again.

When my heart pounded after the eighth man was being torn apart by a zombie, I threw the book across the room, but when I jumped at the sound, I landed on my feet instantly.

I sighed angrily out of frustration, and swore as loudly as I could. 

It was only the afternoon, did it only work in the morning?

I screamed then slipped on a book as a knock on the door broke the silence in the air. Hurrying to stand up, rubbing the sore spot on my backside, I grabbed a shirt to cover my bra straps, because hey, no one needed to see that. When I opened the door, Don Blake was standing on the porch.

“You wanted to talk to--”

Grabbing his shirt, I pulled him in the door, then peeked outside to see if anyone was around. “Doc, you aren't gonna believe this. . .” I muttered. “I went to Asgard this morning, right, and I saw Kelda!”

“Uh, huh. Kelda lives in Asgard. She's an Asgardian,” he retorted as he stared at me. He must have thought I was going crazy.

“That's not all, shut up and listen! Okay, she took me into the city,” I began, pacing as I talked, gesturing broadly as I lost myself in the exact events of the morning.

“We were walking down the street, through the market, and it was uper nice of her to do that for me because it must have been hard for her to see me after. . . well, yeah, anyway, we almost got hit by a psycho horse pullin' a cart! Right? Next thing I know, me and Kelda are standing on the turret of Balder's castle!”

“So, wait, you're telling me that--”

“I flew, Doc. I picked Kelda up, and flew, like, 300 feet,” I said, slowly, enunciating every word.

His blue eyes popped open, and his jaw dropped. “This is a Thor thing.”

A loud crack rang out as he tapped the floor with his walking stick, and with a loud thundering and a flash, Thor stood where he once did. I repeated the story to him, and his eyes grew wide too, like enormous blue orbs.

“Is it because I was in Asgard?” I asked.

“Aside from the fact that it is a floating city, Asgard now remains as mortal as the whole of Broxton. Perhaps. . . mayhap you have the gift an enhanced power, such as those of the mutant X-men?”

“No, both my parents are--”

“So are the parents of many mutants.”

“Aren't I too old to just be getting mutant powers? Fact is, Thor, I'm 17. Little late for puberty to be kicking me in the backside now.”

Thor looked pensively at Mjolnir, something he did pretty often when I asked him a serious question. Like he was looking for the answers inside it, an outward reflection of what was going on inside himself.

“I saw your brother, by the way, Balder. Was your dad hot?”

“I doubt I am a good judge of such matters. . . why do you ask?”

“Because you're both like, ridiculously gorgeous. Just wondering if it was a family thing.”

Changing back to the topic at hand, he asked, “have you tried to fly again?”

“I've only been reading the scariest books ever trying to freak myself out like I was when it happened. But. . . I can't recreate it. Fact is, reading a book is different, and I'm jumpin' off roofs all the time now. Nothing I can do will make it happen again. Maybe if I go back--”

“Not that you are not welcome to go back to Asgard, but returning will not make a difference. This is troubling. Can you think of anything that could have caused this?”

“I've been different since the Siege, you know that. But. . . nothing like this. This is totally different. This is me, flying. Like you.”

“I cannot fly. It is the power of Mjolnir that makes me do so--”

“That's it! Mjolnir! You're always doing your. . . Don-to-Thor thing right in front of me! Can Mjolnir rub off?” I asked.

“No. It will not have been Mjolnir. Mjonir's power only affects those worthy of the Thunder.”

“So I'm not worthy of the thunder?”

“You know that is not what I meant. I would allow you to attempt to pick it up, but when your mother returns from Oklahoma City, you would have some difficulty explaining the crater in the floor.”

“And you know I was kidding. But seriously, Thor, if I'm getting superpowers—oh my God, I just thought of something,” I said, my heart thundering as I remembered my dreams.

“What is it?” he asked, coming close enough for his breath to move strands of my hair.

“If I get superpowers. . . what if I turn into the Sentry?”

Thor sighed, then shook his head. “The Sentry was. . . he was not naturally a powerful being. The Sentry lost his mind as it was torn apart by the power of the Void. He was only a man. He did not know what he did.”

“Thor, come on, think about it. I didn't get these powers until I went near the Sentry. Until I watched him rip Ares apart. Until I saw the Void.”

He hooked Mjolnir to his belt and leaned against the wall beside me. “You fear becoming the Sentry? You fear harming others? Or do you fear losing your mind as he did?”

“All of those things.”

I looked at him and Thor put his huge hand on the back of my head, cradling my skull and my neck in his palm. “If you grow too powerful. . . if you become like the Sentry, which you will not, I make you this promise; I will do for you what I did for him, as much as it would hurt me to do so.”

I sighed. “Thanks Thor.”

He nodded once. I'd forgotten what it felt like to have a dad, but I might have started to remember what it felt like with Thor.

I have a dream where I'm not myself. But I am.

I stand in a hall in Asgard, wearing a low-cut white dress, with red embroidery around the sleeves that almost touch my elbows. Against my skin, the material feels like a soft breeze, and the skirt is so long that I have to hold it up.

At my side, Kelda stands, even more beautiful and regal than I. On my other side stands Thor, Mjolnir in his hand, but instead of his usual black and chain mail outfit, he's wearing a gray tunic and red cape, no helmet. No one is wearing a helmet, not even Balder, who stands near his throne.

It's a party, but there's a difference from this night and all other Asgardian parties-- this one is more like a ball than a feast. 'Women', you know the kind I'm talking about, have been banned from this night. Every Asgardian in their finest, at their finest.

The Sentry stands weakly in the center of the room, looking up at me, his eyes level with mine. “Stop the Norn stones,” he whispers, before he falls to the ground.

My eyes snapped open, and I looked around. The bell was ringing, another lunch spent falling asleep with a bag of pop tarts in my hand. I stood up and shoved half a pop tart in between my teeth, messenger bag over my shoulder as I picked up my book.

“Hey Mrs. Lafey,” I said as I put the book on the counter for her to check in, fixing my hair quickly.

“Norse mythology? You know, Anthy, we just got a new book on French Empire Fashions. I know you love Josephine Bonaparte,” she suggested.

“Ooh, I'll take that one too then,” I said, and I pushed them into my bag, hurrying to class. A whole day had gone by since I'd flown, and I was still left wondering how to do it again. Upstairs, in world history class, I pulled out my planner and wrote down the homework, as a gangly classmate walked over to me. “Hey, Anthy, you got those notes?” asked Ben, a guy I'd been going to school with for so long that a day without him asking to borrow my notes felt like a day out of step.

“Oh, yeah!” said with a smile, and I handed him the papers tucked in the front of my notebook book. “You're a lifesaver!”

“It's nothing,” I said.

“No, really! They'll sing your praises in Valhalla!” he said in a sing-song voice as he walked to his desk. I chuckled a little more than I should have, but it was funny and ironic.

Into the room walked a woman I didn't know, with long dark hair and brown eyes. But by no means was she plain. In fact, she was almost too pretty for this small town high school.

She had beautiful fair olive skin, tall, and man, shapely too, even under that white blouse. Eyebrows shot up, and I got that same feeling from her as I got from the Asgardians, that refreshing air that combined something new and something old.

“Say, where's Mr. Timauld?” asked a girl in the back. I snapped out of my reverie and looked down at my desk for a second, them back at the woman. She wasn't as pretty as I'd thought, but, I'd thought for sure that she was different.

“Your teacher is sick with the flu, unfortunately, but he'll be back sometime in the next couple of days,” she said. Her voice was unremarkable, and I leaned my elbow to the desk, holding my chin in my hand.

She looked at me, staring, and even though it was for just a second, it made me sit up and stare back defiantly. I didn't like her. Something about her, it just scared the crap outta me.   

Mkay guys, things are heating up a little bit! Who is this strange woman that scares the crap outta Anthy? What does Anthy's second Sentry dream mean? And why are Thor and Balder so ridiculously good-looking!? All this and more in the next chapter of Asguardian! Okay, not all of it is gonna be answered, but these were the coolest questions. Thank you for reading!

ALL CHARACTER BELONG TO MARVEL AND THEIR RESPECTIVE AFFILIATES. EXCEPT FOR ANTHY.  
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TypingKira

Uh-can I geta review!? tell me what you think!

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Project_Worm

cool, would be wierd if she ended up like the sentry

TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TypingKira

Que creepy, all-knowing grin. ;D 

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4  Edited By SC  Moderator

Ooh wow, looks substantial, I can't wait to read in my break, it looks much easier to follow as well. 

TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TypingKira

Kinda funny of you to say that, because I'm a nanny and I write it for the most part while I'm waiting for the babies' late night feeding, when it's quiet and I have no obligations other than to the pop tart box and orange soda jug, lol. 

The ball really gets rolling here. Major events are coming up. 

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By Project_Worm
@TypingKira:  
MAJOR EVENTS! yes!
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TypingKira
@Project_Worm said:
" @TypingKira:  MAJOR EVENTS! yes! "
Wow, enthusiasm. . . .I LOVE ENTHUSIASM! Btw, I changed the story a little from what I'd posted before, so she's not who she was going to be, but she is someone else. Which is why I had to do the research.  
Then again, I think that was starting to get obvious. . . 
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#8  Edited By SC  Moderator
@TypingKira said:
" Kinda funny of you to say that, because I'm a nanny and I write it for the most part while I'm waiting for the babies' late night feeding, when it's quiet and I have no obligations other than to the pop tart box and orange soda jug, lol.  The ball really gets rolling here. Major events are coming up.  "

Oh awwh haha, thats cool. I went to a boarding school, where I ended up baby sitting a bunch of kids. I mean, not the same situation... but lol 

Can't wait, sounds exciting. There was lots to really like about this issue. I feel like more of your adjectives are flowing more organically than previously. It brings a nice cohesive touch to your overall story. Helps build momentum. I really appreciate how you characterize Thor, noble and larger than life, but also at some places, out of his comfort zone, like handling compliments from a teenage girl. One of the saddest things as a fan of both Sentry and Thor characters for me, has been sole fans of respective characters perpetuating this antagonistic rivalry and dislike between the two characters, when really I could go for a much friendly interaction between the two. Even though I hated half the issue, have you read Sentry's One Shot after Siege? Anyway, thats another thing I find your story utilizes favorably so far, in how Thor speaks about Sentry. Its really nice, and makes both characters look good.  

If I were to have one criticism and its conditional and requires a question first. Out of curiosity, do you reread your story after you type it, and do you consider deleting parts, or weighing up sentences and valuing them? So I mean, not just rereading to check for spelling and grammar, but just weighing up whether each word and sentence you use contributes to your story rather than just exist as filler? There were just one or two lines, here and there, where it made me feel like you just wrote as you thought (not a bad thing, and I am guilty of this too) but sometimes writing in the moment can benefit by being altered slightly, reading back over and taking in as a whole. So a way you might write a sentence in the moment, but work better if you reread it later to see if used in conjunction of your story overall, it reads as well in that context too.  

I hope I was able to make that sound right? Its only a minor criticism too really, and can be chalked up to your unique character, and there personality coming though on the narration. Otherwise I think your story could flow better potentially.  

Anyway, I blow the little things out of proportion, this is a treat and delight to read and I am lucky because I have a few more chapters to read!! ^_^
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TypingKira
@SC: Tackling your one criticism: I'll keep an eye on that, thanks for mentioning that. I don't always like every sentence I write when I reread, but it's kind of tricky because on the one hand, I feel like the sentence is a necessary for the situation, but on the other, it's lame. So I trim it up as best I can. But I will definitely edit a little more carefully.  

As for the Thor characterization, I liked the way that they (Asgardians) were humanized in 2007, and I wanted to continue along that vein in a totally different way. Thank you for noticing that! As for the Thor/Sentry thing, I've seen a few similarities between the two, and I see Thor as yes, being angry regarding what Sentry did to Asgard and his people, but understanding of the burden and responsibility of that kind of power. So thank you!!! 

Yes, I read the part where Thor dances with Sentry's mom, which inspired this relationship. 

Thank you for reading and for your opinion, I'm so glad you liked it!
Avatar image for ghostrider_fan1
ghostrider fan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By ghostrider fan1
@TypingKira: you do really good on capturing her character! i like it! im onto #5 now i have to catch up lol
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TypingKira
@ghostrider fan1: thanks!!!
Avatar image for ghostrider_fan1
ghostrider fan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ghostrider fan1
@TypingKira:ur welcome :) cant wait to catch up on more
moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By moviegeek17

Loved the Thor anthy exchange in this part! i take it he's pretty much her surrogate father for her? Definitely have me intrigued with the ending of this one too.
I get the feeling im not going to be able to make any solid critiques till i read the whole series but if anything stands out ill be sure to let you know. Keep up the good work!!!

TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TypingKira
@moviegeek17: Thanks! Yeah, he's taking over the role of her father figure, which is always an interesting place for Thor I think. Thanks, will do!
moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By moviegeek17
@TypingKira:
I agree, plus i think it brings out a said of the character that not many people get to see which is always brilliant.