Ascendance – Part 9

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Mechanical_Ape

There is a fair amount of violence in this chapter. Nothing too graphic, but it does get a little serious at one point. Sorry if it jumps around a little. I had to shift the focus more than I typically like.

Part 9

“Are you sure about this?” Sara asked in a whisper as she looked across the barren field.

Traveler nodded, his eyes narrowing as he surveyed the land before him. This was where the message from Strange had originated from. It was nothing but an empty, grassy field. Doctor Strange was nowhere to be seen and not even a hint of magic emanated from the area.

“I knew this was a trap,” Traveler said grimly. “Doctor Strange would never be stupid enough to ask me to bring you with me.”

Sara chuckled softly, happy for anything to lighten the mood. “But you brought me anyway?”

“Would you have gone back to the Sanctum if I had asked?” Traveler asked as he peered down at her.

“Absolutely not!” Sara proclaimed proudly.

A grin spread across Traveler’s lips as he shook his head. He couldn’t help but admire her spirit. After everything that had happened she remained positive and determined. That was far more than Traveler could say about himself.

Traveler had known the message was a trap from the beginning. Doctor Strange would not have needed to force his way past the barriers in his mind as he had. Yet, knowing did little to ease the tension that steadily grew within him.

It was not the fight that he feared. He trusted his skills. He had faced countless formidable creatures during his travels and he had always come out on top. It was the responsibility that made him uncomfortable. There was a reason he preferred to travel alone.

“What are you going to do?” Sara asked. She knew it would be better to wait in silence, but she needed to talk.

“I’m going to take the fight to him this time,” Traveler said resolutely. “No more being defensive and no more letting him run away. I intend to make sure this is the last time he tries something like this.”

Sara gazed up at the determined look on Traveler’s face. She smiled as the feeling of admiration welled up in her chest. He rarely seemed serious or focused, but she liked it when he was.

“He’s here,” said Traveler in a stern voice as he adjusted the frameless glasses on his nose.

Sara opened her mouth to speak but thought better of it as she saw the purple light emanating from his hands. She didn’t want to simply sit there and watch him fight for her, but she had little choice. She had no powers and no way to stand up for herself.

Thrusting his arms forward, the light surrounding his hands disappeared. Almost immediately a small purple glow rose in the distance. It began to rapidly expand, sending a shockwave roaring through the open field. Before the effect had ended, Traveler had already disappeared.

Traveler reappeared silently behind Michael, his right arm extended. Opening a portal in his palm, he swiftly collected a mass of surging green energy. The gathering plasma bathed the air in a soft green light, alerting Michael to his presence, but he had no time to react. Traveler released the energy, sending it streaking towards the dark figure across from him.

The bolt struck Michael firmly in the chest, causing him to stagger slightly but inflicting no lasting damage. The dark blood that coursed through his body had protected him from the brunt of the attack.

By the time Michael’s eyes readjusted to the darkness Traveler was gone. He didn’t want to give his opponent any opportunity to fight back. If he kept his distance and kept moving, he was certain that Michael could not fight back.

Traveler reappeared once more, this time to Michael’s right. Bringing both arms up in front of him, the air began to shimmer hypnotically. The space between his hands began to glow a warm orange as small flames leapt forth from the swirling void.

The attack was the strongest that Traveler knew. It took time, but he felt it was worth it. He was confident that one attack could end it, once and for all.

Traveler’s confidence was misplaced as Michael seized on his hesitation. Without even a glance in his direction, Michael flung his arm out towards Traveler. The blood that had been steadily dripping down it shot towards Traveler like a spear. With stunning speed it broke through his spell as it headed directly for him.

The crimson tendril pierced his chest without resistance, passing entirely through his body. As it passed through, smaller tendrils began to split off and snake through his body. The strands expanded and compressed as they wrecked havoc throughout his body.

Traveler stared down at the spear as the strength began to leave his body. He found himself unable to move, his weight supported entirely by the bloody barb. The burning pain was greater than anything he had ever felt. He wanted to scream out in agony but there was no air left in his lungs. Slowly the world began to dim as he lost the strength to even keep his eyes open.

The tendril pulled back suddenly, sending Traveler’s limp body to the ground. It landed violently in a heap and remained still. A puddle of crimson began to pool out beneath him.

Sara peered through the thick darkness as she struggled to watch the fight. It would have proven difficult even in the bright of day. Traveler’s erratic movements were difficult to pin down.

A soft orange glow attracted Sara’s eyes as he spotted Traveler once more. As quickly as the glow has appeared, it vanished. Her gaze flicked to Michael as she awaited the explosion that she was sure would come, yet it never did. Confused, she looked back to Traveler.

Sara’s breath caught painfully in her throat at the sight she saw. The soft moonlight highlighted Traveler’s body as it limply hung in the air. She couldn’t tell what had happened, but she knew it didn’t look good.

“Warren,” she whispered softly to herself as she clenched her fists anxiously.

She waited for Traveler to fight back but his body didn’t move. She could only watch as he fell to the ground. From her vantage, his body appeared to be nothing more than an unmoving black stone.

“Get up,” Sara urged as the tears began to well up in her eyes.

Sara tore her eyes away from Traveler’s still form, unable to handle the sight any longer. Even though she couldn’t clearly see him through the darkness, her imagination was more than willing to fill in the blanks.

Furiously rubbing the flowing tears from her eyes, Sara raised her head once more. Her once green eyes glowed with a blinding white light. Her jaw clenched painfully as she rose from the ground.

“No,” she said to herself, her voice echoing unnaturally.

The light from her eyes slowly began to envelop her entire body. Soon, her body was entirely obscured, making it appeared as though she was made purely of light. Her ethereal hair began to whip about wildly as beams of light began to grow forth from her back. The rays shifted and solidified into a pair of brilliant white wings.

Without a thought, Sara shot across the ground towards Michael, her feet not touching the earth as she flew. The blindingly bright spectacle had easily attracted his attention, but he had no hope of avoiding the rapidly approaching figure. She was moving far too quickly.

Sara swung as Michael, putting all of her pain, anger, and frustration behind it. As her shimmering fist struck his chest a brilliant flash erupted throughout the area, briefly making it appear as though it was midday. As the light disappeared Michael was gone.

Sara’s anger quickly fled as her radiant eyes fell on Traveler. With a desperate haste, she ran to where his body lay.

Gently, she rolled him onto his back. It quickly became apparent that there was no need for care. The hole in his chest appeared to stretch entirely through his torso. Sara knew he was dead. No one could survive such a wound.

Silvery tears began to flow from her eyes as the weight of the matter washed over her. “No, please don’t die,” she sobbed as she hugged his lifeless body. She knew she was becoming covered in blood but she didn’t care.

He had died to protect her. She couldn’t stand to have that burden on her mind for the rest of her life. He had been so kind to her and he didn’t deserve such a fate.

Her tears refused to stop coming. She had no idea how long she wept, holding his heavy body close to hers, and she didn’t care.

A soft touch on her cheek brought her back to reality. Frantically she pulled herself back. Traveler gently smiled up at her as she stared back in shock. His chest appeared whole. Any evidence of the ghastly wound had vanished.

“You’re an angel,” Traveler said weakly as he caressed her cheek softly.

The light that had surrounded Sara quickly vanished, returning her to her normal body. Dizziness and nausea swept through her at the sudden shock. Before she could ask him the deluge of questions that flooded her mind, the world went black.

Michael stared up at the dark night sky, a stupid grin plastered across his face. His chest burned where she had hit him, the skin black and blistering. He had never felt better. He had clarity for the first time in his life. He knew not what she had done to him, but he wanted her to do it again.

TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TypingKira

Awesome chapter! I have to say, I loved the fight scene! It was great, you left just enough to the imagination but described just enough as well. I love the ending soo much :'}

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Mechanical_Ape
@TypingKira: Thanks! I'm glad it turned out well. I wasn't sure if it came out how I had hoped.
Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#4  Edited By The Impersonator
@Mechanical_Ape
The action scene was great. Great chapter!