Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Mechanical_Ape

Part 2

Sara’s mind raced as she tried to take in her new surroundings. Her sleep addled mind still reeled from the whirlwind events of the night and the sudden change in locale hadn’t helped. The stress was beginning to build.

The room she found herself in was a mishmash of styles. Old, worn tomes lined the walls of the small room while the floor was dominated by a wide variety of antique furniture. Interspersed throughout was an eclectic collection of unusual and curious objects and trinkets. They were unlike anything she had ever seen.

As her sharp green eyes scanned the room curiously, they eventually fell upon Traveler. He silently watched her, a small smile on his lips. She suddenly became aware of his presence once more. Even more than that, she became aware that she had been gripping his hand tightly.

“Sorry,” she said quietly as she let go and backed away from him. She turned her attention back to the room so as not to look at him.

“Don’t worry about it,” he said with a slight chuckle. “I know what it’s like to see this place for the first time. It can be a bit overwhelming.”

Sara simply nodded as she leaned closer to inspect a small blue gem that sat in an ornate wood box. She was certain she could see something moving inside the jewel.

“Doctor Strange should be here soon. Can I get you anything?”

Sara shook her head and looked back to Traveler for the first time. “So this is Doctor Strange’s house?”

Traveler nodded. “Yes, this is the Sanctum Sanctorum. Well, one room of it at least,” he added with a grin. “Once you’ve talked to Doctor Strange and had time to rest, I’m sure Wong or I can show you around the place if you’re interested.”

“Who’s Wong?” Sara asked curiously.

“Wong is Doctor Strange’s personal servant. He’s more like his best friend than a servant, though. He’s a little weird, but he’s pretty nice once you get to know him.” Traveler paused briefly, a grin coming to his face once more. “That could describe almost anyone you’ll meet in this place.”

“Even you?” Sara asked with a sly smile.

Traveler laughed and gave a slight shrug. “Probably. I have been called both weird and nice more than once.”

Sara suppressed a small giggle as she turned away from him. She had known him for less than an hour, but that didn’t surprise her. She would have described him the exact same way.

Their brief conversation came to an abrupt end as the room’s lone door opened with a soft creak. Two men quietly entered the room. The first, a short, bald man deftly carried a loaded silver tray. The tray was adorned with a wide array of teacups and cakes. Behind him strode a much taller man with a dark mustache. An air of dignity hovered about him.

“Welcome Ms. Finn,” the taller man proclaimed as he entered the room. “Please, have and seat and help yourself to the refreshments.”

Sara silently took a seat in one of the antique chairs. She was surprised to find it was much more comfortable than it looked. As she reached for one of the small cakes she became acutely aware that she was being watched. The three men expectantly watched her every move, unnerving her slightly.

“I’m Doctor Strange,” the distinguished man announced as she nibbled on the cake. “You can call me Steven. This is my faithful companion Wong,” he explained as he motioned to the bald man next to him. “And I believe the two of you have already met,” he said with a nod towards Traveler.

Sara nodded, unable to speak as she tried to swallow the cake. She was thankful for the treat. After the night she had had, the sweet was a welcomed indulgence.

“I’m sure you’re wondering why you’re here,” Strange said as he took a seat across from her. He did his best to appear personable, wanting Sara to feel comfortable in the strange situation she found herself in. “There is power wizard known as Modred. He is attempting to summon Chthon, a dangerous and evil being from another dimension. A spell that potent requires more power than he possesses, so he is searching for other vessels to power it. Unfortunately, you are a perfect candidate.”

“Me?” Sara asked in surprise. “You got the wrong girl. I don’t have any powers or anything.”

“It isn’t any specific ability that he is searching for. It is your blood that sets you apart,” he explained. “You are naturally unique, and he can use the special qualities of your blood to power his spells.”

Sara looked at her outstretched hand. It looked no different than anyone else’s, but according to him it was. She sighed and put her hand back down. When she wished to be different, she had hoped it would have been something more exciting than strange blood.

“You needn’t worry,” Strange added quickly, hoping to ease her anxiety, “I will personally find Modred and make sure he does not succeed. While I’m gone, they,” he motioned to Traveler and Wong as he spoke, “will protect you from harm. I would trust my life to either one of them and they will not let any harm come to you.”

“What about my mom?”

“We will protect her as well. Both of you will be welcome here until it is safe once more,” Strange promised. “I will send someone to let her know what has happened and make sure she reaches the Sanctum safely.” Strange motioned to Traveler who simply nodded and disappeared from the cramped room.

“Will I really be safe here?” Sara asked, oblivious to the fact that Traveler had left.

“The Sanctum Sanctorum is one of the most secure places in existence,” Strange guaranteed her. “In the many years I have lived here, I have placed multiple layers of security over the entire area and I regularly test and strengthen them. I assure you that no one will be able to harm you while you are under my protection.”

The cool morning air sent a chill down Traveler’s back as he appeared outside the Finn residence. His long overcoat provided protection from the worst, but the sudden shock was startling. The sun had just begun to peek over the tall trees, providing a dim illumination of the area but little in the way of heat.

As he moved towards the front of the house, Traveler began to ponder how he hoped to convince Mrs. Finn of his sincerity. Somehow, he didn’t think telling her he had kidnapped her daughter in the dead of night was an appropriate icebreaker. He would have to save that for later.

Rounding the corner of the house, a peculiar sight greeted him. A short, middle-aged woman stood motionless in the driveway. Dressed in a housecoat and slippers, she seemed out of place in such poor weather.

Clearing his throat loudly, so as not to startle her, he approached. “Excuse me, Mrs. Finn?” he asked. As her back was turned, Traveler could not see her reaction, but it appeared she did not hear him. “Mrs. Finn?” he asked again in a louder voice.

The woman jumped, obviously startled by the intrusion. She turned to face Traveler, her eyes darting over him rapidly as she took him in. “Excuse me?” she said in a confused voice.

“I’m looking for Mrs. Finn. Is that you?”

The woman nodded. “Yes, I’m her.”

“Are you alright?” Traveler asked with a raised brow. He couldn’t help but notice she seemed dazed.

“Of course,” she answered quickly, forcing a smile on her face. “I was just looking for the newspaper, but it looks like someone took it again.”

“Oh, I’m sorry,” he said, not quite sure why he was apologizing.

“Why, did you take it?” she asked with a sneer.

“No. I just wanted to speak with you for a moment,” he answered politely. “I was sent here by Doctor Strange. It is urgent that he speak with you as soon as possible. It concerns your daughter.”

The woman nodded briskly. “Ok, let’s go.”

Traveler’s mouth hung open in surprise as she spoke. He was certain that it would be more difficult to earn her trust. He never imagined that she would agree to come with him after only a few moments of conversation. As unusual as it seemed, he didn’t wish to question his stroke of luck.

“Excellent!” he proclaimed with a grin. “If you’ll take my hand, I can whisk us away to Doctor Strange in a matter of seconds.”

Mrs. Finn confidently took his hand and looked up to him expectantly. As he looked away to prepare himself for the trip, a small, sly grin spread slowly across her face. Traveler, in his naiveté, remained ignorant to it all.

TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TypingKira

OMG. . .  I wasn't making time to read this before. I am obviously defective in some way. Yes. Defective. Or broken.   

I love this story! I love your characterization and I love Sara and I love Traveler, and basically I love everything.  

How do you pronounce Chthon?

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Mechanical_Ape
@TypingKira: lol, don't worry, it's not really that good. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it though. I'm always hard on my own work so I never know if it's coming out like I want.

I've been worried how Sara was coming across. A lot of the story is about her and the way she grows, so I've been trying to gradually show that growth as the story progresses. There's also a third character, but he won't show up until Part 7 probably.

I have no idea actually. I say it almost like it's spelled: ch-thon, but I'm not sure if that's correct.
Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#4  Edited By The Impersonator
@Mechanical_Ape: A piece of cake and a great magical chapter!