And commenced His work of creation

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ancient China

There was chaos before heaven and earth were separated but chaos took the form of moist darkness within an egg. At its heart was Pan-Gu the creator.

Littleton. C.S p.p. 392.

Egyptian

Only ocean existed at first. Ra, came out of an egg or flower which appeared on the surface of the water. Before the existence of Great Ra the sun god; were darkness, watery abyss and hidden power. Ra emerged from the watery abyss and then all things came into being out of the words of his mouth.

Erman. A. and Budge. E. A. W. pp. 308-313.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SpareHeadOne

The Resurrection

In this section we shall see the resurrection of The-Man in both seed/plant form and egg form.

Pima Indians

‘In the beginning there was only darkness and water. The darkness congealed in certain places and formed the creator. He wandered aimlessly above the water and began to think. He became fully conscious of who he was and what he was to do. He reached into his heart and pulled out a magic creation stick.’92

Ancient Greek Orphics

Black winged Night, a goddess of whom even Zeus stands in awe, was courted by the Wind and formed a silver egg in her womb. Eros who some call Phanes was hatched from this egg and set the universe in motion. 94

Egyptian

The words of Nebertcher (Ra) which he spoke after he had come into being. “I am he who came into being in the form of Khepera (he who comes into existence) I was the creator of all that came into being, things that came forth from my mouth. Before heaven and earth all upon the earth existed. I raised them up from out of Nu the Watery Abyss from a state of inactivity. I found no place to stand. I worked a charm upon my heart. I laid a foundation in Maa, in straightness and truth, in a careful and just plan and I made every attribute. I was alone for I had not yet spit in the form of Shu nor emitted Tefnut. No one existed who worked with me. I made a foundation in my own heart and there came into being the multitudes of things which came into being. 96

Madagascar

Zanahary made the earth, but left it desolate. Thereupon Ratovoantany, ‘self-created one’, shot up like a plant from the ground.97

Lakota North America.

In the beginning First Man emerged like a plant from the Great Plains earth. At first only his head was visible, and he looked around at the nothingness that surrounded him. There were not yet any rivers, mountains, grass, or animals. Gradually First Man pulled himself up out of the soil until he stood on the soft earth. It was the sun that gave solidity to the earth and strength to the man. Out of this man came the Lakota people. 98

Wahungwe of Zimbabwe

God created the first man, Mwuetsi. God gave him a ngona horn filled with ngona oil and told him he would live at the bottom of the waters. Mwuetsi said to God “I want to live on the land”.99

Yuki Indians

In the beginning there was foam that wandered around on the surface of fog-covered waters. A voice came from the foam followed by Taiko-mol, who had eagle feathers on his head. The creator stood on the moving foam and sang as he created in the darkness.100

Alaska

The Bird, after a long, long time, flew down to the surface of the water and dipped his great black wings into the flood. The earth arose out of the waters. So began the creation. While the land was still soft, the first man burst from the pod of the beach pea and looked out upon the endless plain behind him and the gray salt sea before him. He was the only man. Then Raven appeared to him and the creation of other beings began.101

Mandan Indians

Lone-Man was walking on the great waters. He did not know how he had come into being. He turned back and followed his tracks and found a blood striped flower. The red flower spoke, saying that she had given birth to him so that he may go about in the world. He knew there must be something below the waters from which his mother had her life. Then he saw two ducks and commanded them to bring up earth from below the waters. 102

Collao of South America – Incas

They say that in ancient times the earth was dark and there was no light or day in it. And they say that in those times when all was night in the land there came forth from a lake in the district called Collasuyu, a lord named Con TicciViracocha bringing with Him a certain number of people, though they don’t remember how many. 103

Ancient Australia

And Karora falls asleep, stretching his arms out on both sides. While he is asleep, something emerges from underneath his armpit in the shape of a bull-roarer [a carved piece of wood]. It takes on human form, and grows in one night to a full-grown young man: this is his first-born son, the living image of himself.104

Ancient Babylon

This is an illustration of the ancient Babylonian constellation known as the Goatfish. It is the Babylonian equivalent of our Capricorn. The compound nature of the Goatfish is best understood as essentially a combination of the Stag and the Fish – the Stag representing renewal, while the Fish acts as a guardian and guide of the ascending path.105

No Caption Provided

The fish tail indicates the waters of chaos in which The- Man is being reborn. The goat is a symbol of sacrifice. The goat torso represents the beginning of The-Mans growth out of chaos.

Vedic/Hindu

‘There was neither non-existence nor existence then…What stirred? Was there water bottomless and deep? That One breathed, windless, by Its own impulse. Other than that there was nothing beyond. Darkness was hidden by darkness in the beginning; with no distinguishing sign, all this was water. The life force that was covered with emptiness, that one arose through the power of heat.’ 106

That which is beyond the sky and beyond this earth beyond the gods and the dark divinities – what was that first embryo that the waters received, where all the gods together saw it? He was the one whom the waters received as the first embryo, when all the gods came together. On the navel of the Unborn was set the One on whom all creatures rest.107

In the beginning the golden embryo arose. Once he was born he was the one lord of creation. He held in place the earth and this sky. Who is the god whom we should worship with oblation? 108

When the high waters came; pregnant with the embryo that is everything; bringing forth fire; he arose from that as the one life’s breath of the gods. Who is the god whom we should worship with oblation? He who in his greatness looked over the waters, which were pregnant with male creative power bringing forth the sacrifice, he who was the one god among all the gods - who is the god whom we should worship with oblation? Let him not harm us, he who fathered the earth and created the sky, who’s laws are true, who created the high shining waters. Who is the god whom we should worship with oblation?109

‘Verily, in the beginning all this was The Self, One only; there was nothing else that blinked whatsoever. He thought “Shall I send forth worlds?” He sent forth these worlds – ambhas [water] – marichi [light] – mara [death] and ap [water]. That ambhas is above the heaven and heaven is its support. The marichis are the sky. The mara is the earth, and the ap are the waters of the earth.’ He thought “There are these worlds shall I send forth guardians of these worlds?” He then formed Purusha The Man, taking him from the water. He brooded on him and when The Man had been brooded on, a mouth burst forth like an egg. From the mouth proceeded speech.110

It is The Man Purusha who is all this, whatever has been and whatever is to be. He is the ruler of immortality when he grows beyond everything through food. Such is his greatness and The Man is yet more than this. All creatures are a quarter of him; three quarters are what is immortal in heaven. With three quarters The Man rose upwards, and one quarter of him still remains here. From this he spread out into all directions, into that which eats and that which does not eat.111

In the beginning all this was The Self alone, like a person alone. He looked around and saw nothing else than Self. He first said “This is I” therefore He became “I” by name. Therefore even now, if a man is asked, he first says. “This is I” and then pronounces the other name which he may have. And because prior to all this, The Self had burnt down all sins, therefore He is Purusha [The Man].112

He, desiring to produce beings of many kinds from his own body, first with a thought created the waters, and placed his seed in them. That (seed) became a golden egg, in brilliancy equal to the sun; in that egg he himself was born as Brahman, the progenitor of the whole world. The waters are called narah, (for) the waters are, indeed, the offspring of Nara; as they were his first residence, he thence is named Narayana; From that (first) cause, which is indiscernible, eternal, and both real and unreal, was produced that male (Purusha), who is famed in this world (under the appellation of) Brahman. The divine one resided in that egg during a whole year, then he himself by his thought (alone) divided it into two halves and out of those two halves he formed heaven and earth, between them the middle sphere, the eight points of the horizon, and the eternal abode of the waters. 113

Brahma, self-created from the primaeval waters, also called the lotus-born because of his origin from a lotus sprung from the navel of Narayana, at the very beginning. He was asleep in the lotus floating on the primitive waters until he awoke and created the universe.114

Pacific Islands

Taaroa emerged from an egg which dwelt in the primaeval waters. In Tahiti they say that he then created Hina and mated with her to produce the world115

115 Coleman. J. A. p. 978

106 Rig Veda 10.129

107 Rig Veda 10.82:5-6

108 Rig Veda 10.121:1

109 Rig Veda 10.121:7-9

110 Aitareya Upanishad 1.1-4

111 Purusa-Sukta (the hymn of Man) Rig Veda

112 Brihadaranyaka Upanishad 1.4.1

113 Buhler.G.Trans. Laws of Manu. pp. 5-6.

114 Coleman. J. A. and Coomaraswamy. A. K.

100 Weigle. pp 180–181.

101 JUDSON.K.B. p. vii.

102 Burland.C. p.83.

103 Osborne. H. pp. 70-73

104 Strehlow. T. G. H. pp. 7-10.

105 Gavin White. BABYLONIAN STAR-LORE

92 Bierlein. J. F. p 66.

93 Littleton. C.S p.p. 392.

94 Graves.R. p. 30.

95 Erman. A.

96 Budge. E. A. W. pp. 308-313.

97 Oxford Dictionary of World Mythology