Arach-Knight - Year One

Arach-Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arach-Knight

OOC: Fan Fic Origin for my RPG character.

Prologue

Mid-November 1993 – Massachusetts

A light snow fell from the evening sky, blanketing the earth in its frozen embrace.  A man walking his dog tracked thick footprints through the pristine powder, breaking the perfection of the moment.  An icy wind cut through the air as he pulled the hood of his parka close, letting the fell wind brush past him.  And past him it continued, kicking up drifts of snow and carrying them along the sidewalk.  It was a cold winter night, the kind that kept most people indoors and bundled up beside their fireplace, and for most that was exactly where they should be.  For more than the wind skulked around this dark night.  As if bidden by the thought, two dark spider-like shapes emerged from behind a suburban garage and transformed into human form.  They fell in step behind the man and his dog, and as he paused to greet them, they fell upon him, devouring both he and his canine counterpart bit by bloody bit.  Only when they had satiated themselves, did they stand to stare at the distant hospital lighting the horizon.

“Human lives are akin to the perfect structure of a spider’s web.  Each individual life is a singular strand on the overall pattern,” the first monster intoned.  “Interconnected to so many others, and where two of those threads meet, they beget so many more.  Even with a pattern as intricate as human evolution, it is possible for master weavers such as ourselves to influence the patter, to nudge a thread here or there or even pluck it from the very pattern.” 

“Yes,” the other whispered.  “Such is the case tonight.  A thread is yanked forever from those it would touch, and a new one is set forth, with a destiny all its own.”

“No,” the first snapped.  “Its destiny is ours.”  An uncomfortable silence set in between the two and they allowed it to linger, content to observe from afar their machinations set in motion.

The footfalls were harried and panicked as men and women in white raced through the hallways of the hospital.  A doctor with dark bags under his eyes stepped out of a room, shouting orders, hoping that someone, anyone, would hear him and respond.  Within the room, a man in his mid-twenties sat by his wife’s maternity bed.  Paul O’Gill shook with the sobs that had overcome him.  Tears rolled down his face as he held Mary, his wife’s hand.  Her face was lit bright with fever and glistening with a patina of sweat.  The unborn child within her womb was fighting its own birth, and it was a battle she was paying the price for.  Her screams reverberated through the hallways, shattering any wishful thinking that this night would turn out anything but tragic.

“Oh God, Mary,” Paul begged in a tired voice, “please just hold on.”  He squeezed her hand tightly, wishing he could put all of her pain onto his back and carry it.

“It’s alright my love,” she whispered back, conserving what little life remained.  Blood trickled out of her right nostril and followed the curve of her mouth like a newborn river before rolling quicksilver-like off of her cheek.  Her husband wiped away the stream with the back of his index finger and cried out for the doctor.

“Dr. Martin!  Get in here!”  He tried to stand, wanting to rush to the door, but Mary pulled him back to her.  “Mary, please.  Let me get the doctor.  It’ll all be alright.”

“No, Paul,” she said with a sad smile.  “It won’t be.”

“Don’t talk like that,” he replied feebly, an iron weight settling into his gut.

“I tried to forget…or pretend that this wasn’t going to happen, but I always knew it would.”

“What the hell does that mean?”

“Paul,” she said with a sad smile.  “I always loved you deeply.  From that first time we met on that stupid ice rink.”

“I remember,” he wept.  “I remember.”

She lifted her free hand, and it quivered with the exertion.  Mary rested it once more on her belly and gently tapped the child within.  “He’s going to be a beautiful and special boy.”

“A boy?”

“Yes,” she said, “and I want only one thing for him.”

“Anything,” Paul replied, nodding his head in agreement to a pact he knew nothing about.

“Name him Andrew,” she said.  They were the last words she would speak to him as she began convulsing violently on the bed.  Paul stepped away, his back pressing against the wall.  The horror, the violence of the sight was more than he could bear witness to.  The doctors came rushing in moments later and wheeled her bed from the room.  Paul tried very hard to follow, wanting to be with her for every moment he could, but the orderlies held him back.  He struggled against their arms, but it was no use.  The doctors had taken his dear Mary away, yet her last words still hung in the air as clear as if she was speaking them then.  “Name him Andrew.”

And so, on a cold November morning, Andrew O’Gill was brought into the world amidst the blood of his dead mother.  The road ahead would be no easier.

Arach-Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Arach-Knight

Chapter 1

The Day He Died

“Andrew.”  The voice that came through the receiver was flat and mumbled.  It clearly belonged to his father, but the tone seemed wrong somehow, as if he were only a shell of the man he normally could be.

“Dad, yeah it’s me,” Andrew replied.  He waited for his father to continue, but nothing except static filled the airwaves between them.  “Dad?”  The fifteen year old said as he sat waiting a bit impatiently. The moments stretched on and he shifted his weight on the finely appointed leather couch.  It was a rare thing for his father to call this early in the week, and coupled with his bizarre tone, it made the entire scenario a bit more disturbing.  The common room of the prestigious Balewolf Academy was thankfully quiet for the moment, as most of the other students were heading over to the cafeteria for lunch.  This left Andrew alone, with the phone pressed to his ear, waiting for some response.

“I’m coming to see you,” his father said, finally breaking the silence.

“That’s great.  Are you coming this weekend then?”

“No,” his father mumbled.  “Tonight.  I’m leaving now.”  The tone of voice sounded creepy and almost angry, and it occurred to Andrew the last time he had heard his father in this state. It had been that time not seven years past, right before he was shipped off to Balewolf for the first time.   Before then, he had attended a school closer to home, but some scandal involving his father and Mr. Carmichael occurred and the news people came.  Andrew had never quite worked out what it was that happened, but it had been enough for his father to send him to a school three states away to avoid any…unpleasantness.   And now, it didn’t make a lick of sense to him why his father would come here.  It was easily a six-hour drive and with it being only Wednesday, well Andrew would still have two days of school to attend.  “Why now?”

“I have to,” his father hissed.

“Is something wrong?”  A couple of classmates burst into the room, laughing with one another.  The suddenness of it made him jump.  It was only then that he fully realized how tense this call was making him, how scared he actually was.  What had he done wrong?

“Your mother,” Paul O’Gill began and then paused once more.  “I didn’t know.  I had no idea.  You see she never told me.”

“Told you what?  What about mom?”  The fear he felt kept growing, spreading through his gut like a plague destroying all it touched.  His father rarely, if ever spoke about their mother, and all the young boy really knew about her was that she had died during childbirth.

“I’m coming up there.  I’m sorry.  I have to do this, don’t you see?”  His father’s voice had taken on a kind of pathetic, whiney tone bordering on begging.

“Really, maybe this could wait until the weekend,” Andrew started to say, but was cut off as the phone disconnected.  It was shocking to have the call ended so abruptly and so Andrew sat on the couch with the phone pressed to his ear waiting to see if his dad had truly hung up or not.  When he admitted to himself that the call truly was done he looked up at the clock. It read 12:53.  At two-fifteen he had a Geometry class and then after that a study group for Medieval History.  By the time he ate dinner and got back to his room it would be seven-thirty.  If his dad left now, he’d arrive at Balewolf by eight and maybe then Andrew could figure out what this was all about.

Andrew sat on the edge of his bed with his feet dangling over the side and a textbook book lying gently in his lap.  His dorm room was on the third floor of the East Wing, which signified he was still an underclassman, and had the same standard furniture as any other.  The room contained two beds, two desks, a shared closet and two small dressers. There was two of everything because all of the dorms at Balewolf were shared, an exercise in promoting teamwork and togetherness as it was stated in the syllabus. Andrew’s roommate, Steve was in the room as well, sitting on the edge of his desk and laughing with the other three guys hanging out.  Pete, Mike and Sam were lounging in different points throughout the room.  They were here tonight, knowing that Andrew’s father was on his way, to provide some sort of moral support for their friend.  

Mike, who was leaning against the wall under the lone window, had lit up a cigarette and was puffing non-stop, not knowing yet how to actually smoke the thing.

“All I’m saying,” Pete continued, his back against the dresser, “is that if she asked me out there would be no way I’d say no.”

“You’re such a liar,” Steve shouted.

“Why am I lying?”

“If she walked in here right now and threw herself at your feet all you’d is stammer like an idiot,” Steve replied victoriously and all the guys shared a laugh.

“Yeah, fine, you’re right.  I can’t talk to girls.  Not like Andrew can,” he said and tossed a magazine across the room.  The pages fluttered as it spun through the air to land on the bed at Andrew’s feet.  He leaned over and picked it up, then dropped it unceremoniously back on the floor.

“It’s not like I say anything special,” Andrew admitted.

“Then what is it?”

“You just can’t care if they say no,” he said with a shrug.

“So,” Mike asked with a growing smile, “did you ask Abby out?”

“Abby?”

“Yeah, Mike continued, “Come on!  She’s that girl from St. Anne’s you were talking to last weekend.”

“Oh, Abby,” Andrew said with a grin.  “I’m not going to waste my time with her.”

“Why not?” Sam asked in a perplexed way.  “Dude, she’s hot.”

“She’s got the personality of a brick wall,” Andrew said, burying his head back into the History book.

“Who cares about her personality,” Mike said as he lit up another smoke.  “That girl has a great body.”  The other boys in the room nodded their head in agreement, but that was where the conversation died.  The door to the room swung open and the Dean of Students, Dr. Werner, stepped inside.  Mike quickly tossed his newly lit cigarette out the window, but it didn’t escape the notice of the Dean, who stared daggers at the young man.

After a few more uncomfortable moments of silence, the Dean cleared his throat and spoke.  “I am willing to overlook the infractions occurring in this room tonight due to the dire circumstances surrounding my visit.  Now, if you could all leave us alone with Mr. O’Gill.”  Andrew’s stomach did a somersault at the sound of his name.  This was quite possibly the worst time in the world to get in trouble.  His dad was supposed to be here any minute, and if he walked in to find his son getting reprimanded by the Dean, well it would only compound whatever trouble he was already in.

“Did I do something wrong,” Andrew asked, but the Dean was avoiding eye contact with him.  The school nurse, an older woman everyone called Ms. Margie was lurking in the doorway, her head down.

“Everyone out,” the Dean said again and all of the other boys quickly got up and vacated the room, giving their friend sympathetic glances as they did.  Once they were out, Ms. Margie came in and closed the door behind her.  Then she moved over and sat down on the bed beside Andrew.

“Terrible news, dear,” she said as she patted Andrew’s knee.

“What’s going on?”

“We’ve just received word,” Dr. Werner said, making a point to look away from his charge, “that there was an accident.”

“It’s your father,” Ms. Margie said in a choked voice.  “They’re saying he was killed in a car crash.”

A strange sort of giggle escaped the boy’s throat.  “This is a mistake.  My dad couldn’t be dead.  He’s on his way here right now.  He’s coming to visit me and he’ll be here in a minute.”

“I’m afraid it isn’t a mistake,” the Dean replied, his voice no longer sounding regal, but more like a man who was hurt by the news he was delivering.

“No, it is a mistake,” Andrew screamed at them.  Ms. Margie reached out her arms to hug him close, but the boy pushed her away.  “Get off of me!  This is all wrong.  My dad is on his way here!”

“I’m afraid not.  In the morning we’ll have someone here to drive you…”

“Shut up,” he screamed in an angry, throaty voice.  “He’s here now.  He’s probably downstairs in the lobby!  He’s here!”  And Andrew ran out of the room and into the hall.  His friends were all standing outside the door, their faces white and ghostly, but he didn’t stop, couldn’t stop, running.  He ran down the stairs, taking them three or four at a time, until he reached the bottom and burst through the door and into the lobby.  He had hoped for one fleeting moment that they had been wrong, that his father would be standing there, but the lobby was dark and empty.  Andrew fell to his knees and wept.

Paul O’Gill was buried on a rainy Friday afternoon in the month of September.  There had been an appropriate amount of well-wishers and supportive friends at the affair, most of whom were now standing in the large library of the O’Gill home.  Andrew was a floor above them, standing at a window within his little-used bedroom.  He stood there, his mind in a fog, with his hand pressed against the chilled windowpane so that he could feel the drops of rain slapping against the glass.  The rhythmic vibration of each drop thrumming against the glass felt calming to him.  Down in the library, they would be discussing what to do with the boy, where to send him and who would take care of him.  Both of his parents were gone now, and at the age of fifteen he had no family left in the world.

The sound of a chair scraping across the floor brought the young boy out of his doldrums.  Someone was in the next room, milling about.  So Andrew turned from the window and walked with dragging footsteps into the room across the hall.  He stepped in to the scent of fresh lilies, his mother’s favorite flower, and fresh tears threatened the corners of his eyes.  This room had always served as a sort of shrine to the memory of his mom and was the only room in the house where one could find pictures of her.  Paul O’Gill had forbid anyone from ever coming into this room, even Andrew.  It had been his secret place to remember his wife.  And now, breaking the sanctity of the room, Andrew found Jack Carmichael, son of his father’s old friend Walter, standing beside a mantle and staring at an old picture of his mother.  Jack was seven years older than Andrew and had always found it good sport to torment the younger boy while they were growing up.

“What are you doing in here,” Andrew growled, hating the sight of this creep lurking here.  Jack half turned at the sound of the voice, but then sneered his disgust and turned his back once more.  “I asked what you were doing up here.  This is my house.”

“I always thought the world of your mother,” Jack said after a moment.  “She was so kind, so giving.  In so many ways she was a better mother to me than my own.”

“Oh…well thanks, I guess,” Andrew replied, starting to feel a bit guilty about yelling at him.

“Then you had to go and murder her,” Jack snapped.

“What?  I didn’t,” he stammered, caught off-guard by the sudden turn.

“You did,” Jack yelled as he spun and closed the distance between the two.  He then grabbed the boy by the shirt and slammed him against the wall.  The plaster cracked and small granules of it rained down around them.  “You went and killed her with your birth.  It’s why I’ve always hated you and why I always will.  She was a perfect angel from Heaven, not some morphine addicted whore like my mother.  I always knew you were rotten, and now look at what you’ve done.  You killed your father too.”

That was quite enough for Andrew’s taste so he brought his knee up sharply and caught Jack square in the groin.  The bully groaned as he dropped to the floor like the sack of dirt he was.  A wall broke down inside of Andrew and he jumped on top of the downed man and started punching, rage boiling over at the accusation that he had been responsible for both of his parent’s deaths.

“I didn’t kill then,” he shouted.  “I didn’t!”

It only took a few moments for Jack to regain himself and when he did he threw Andrew off easily.  “You did kill them,” Jack retorted.  “You’re a killer and the world would be such a better place without you.”  Beneath his suit jacket, Jack had a holstered gun, which he drew and pressed against Andrew’s forehead.  “I should end you here and now.”

“Jack,” came the whispered hiss of Walter Carmichael.  “Put that away right now.”  Jack glanced over at his father, who stood like an imposing statue in the door frame, and then nodded as he holstered the gun.  “Now, Andrew,” Walter began, but got no further as Andrew let loose his bitter tears and pushed his way out of the room.  He sprinted through the hallway and down the back staircase before exiting the house through the old oak service door.  Their yard was large and sloped down towards the dense forest that bordered the property.  Andrew dashed into the woods, he had spent a lot of time there when he was younger and knew all of the deer paths and hidden nooks.  He ran without stopping until he had no breath left and collapsed beside a tree, the mud splashing all over his nice suit.  He lay with his belly against the forest floor and pounded the ground in frustration, anger, misery and loss.  After a time he grew tired of even this and felt only numb.  So he sat up and pressed his back to a tree.  He had no desire to return to the house, and decided instead that he’d sit here for a while and just close his eyes.

Who knows how long he sat there asleep, maybe it had been a few minutes or maybe hours, but when he awoke it was dark out.  The sound of the rain slapping against the leafy canopy above was the only sound he heard.  Everything else had gone still, but the overwhelming silence didn’t register with him.  Andrew stood and stretched his arms wide as he looked around.  It didn’t matter if it were pitch black out; even in this pervasive darkness he knew how to get back home.  As he started towards his house he caught a brief flash of light from the corner of his eye.  Craning his head and searching between the trees, he looked until he saw it again.  Like a light beneath water it swayed liquid-like, splashing its light against throughout the forest.  Most likely it was someone come out to look for him, so Andrew walked in that direction, preparing himself for an adult to yell at him for running of.  Only, as he stepped closer it looked less like a flashlight, but something bigger and brighter.  Andrew walked into a clearing and gazed in awe at the source of the light spilling out from what appeared to be a gash in the air itself, like reality had parted and this was what was behind the curtain.  A certain sense of caution seemed reasonable to the boy and he was not keen to approach the anomaly, but that was a choice it seemed that was out of his hands.  Five strands of thick webbing shot out of the tear and wrapped him up, and with a strangled shriek of terror, Andrew O’Gill was pulled into the light.

Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Legacy_

I'm going to read this^^

Arach-Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Arach-Knight
@Closure: I'd love to hear your thoughts when you do!
Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Legacy_

OKAY^^

Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Legacy_

Your parents died and guy with a gun blamed it on you V_V

Wish I was around so I could have kicked his #ss ^_^

I liked it^^

-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By -Eclipse-

DUDE! I almost freakin cried at the Hospital scene!

This FanFic deserves the stamp of awesomeness.

Stamps
Constantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Constantine

sweet bro

crazed_h3ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By crazed_h3ro

@Arach-Knight:
Why do Bad things happen to good people?...WHY? Damn it all to hell!!