5th Column Comics: Wind Duster #32

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Discussions: Part 1 of 2

Carrier Blight Task Force Headquarters, Ground Floor.

DING!

"There are 86400 Specters, in this state, that's what they say!

I step into the metal cubical, fully clothed in my costume, elevator music blaring. Well... I'm assuming it's music. It doesn't really seem to qualify.

"Hey. What's up?" I say to the elevator's other rider, who is somehow already riding this thing even though we're on the ground floor. The guy stares at me (or more likely my costume) with a look of awe on his face, he's clearly unused to someone of my appearance. Must be new, this sort of thing is pretty usual at the CBTF now. I press the button to Pfeifer's office and step back from the closing doors.

"And my heart rings! Every second of the day! And I love y-"

Awkward silence passes by as we rush up through the building's floors. The whole time up (which is pretty short in reality) I try to ignore the guy next to me since his gaze is fixed upon me.

DING!

"Wow. That was quick." I step out into this floor's... 'reception' I guess. "Bye." I wave to the elevator guy before walking towards the secretary desk.

"Mister Brooks?" The secretary looks up at me from behind her computer. "What are you doing here?" Her bright, plump face turns bright red.

"Uh... hi, Perry." The young woman before me is one of the many 'delightful' individuals I've encountered since joining Pfeifer's team of Carriers. Perry is Pfeifer's secretary and if I'm being honest I haven't really spoken to her. From what I can tell, she's... energetic. And quite friendly... perhaps TOO friendly, but she's a bit low on the hygiene and attractiveness level. Made pretty clear by the bogey dripping down her nose. "Is... uh... is Pfeifer here?" I ask.

"The Director's busy at the moment." She reaches for a small plate of strange, chunky yellow squares and hovers it over in my general direction. "Lemon squares, Mister Brooks. I made them myself. Want one?"

Hey, food is food. "Sure." I take one and pop it into my mouth... and almost immediately my skull is filled with lemon goodness the second I take a bite.. "Wow." I chew the square a few more times. "That's really good."

"Thanks!" Perry pulls the plate back out of my reach, she must have this reaction a lot. "Anyway, with Pfeifer I can put you down for an appointment. Is-"

PWOP!

Kind of a d!ck move... but secretary's can be pretty deadly at times. Plus Pfeifer is going to want to hear this anyway. I teleport into the Director's office causing what appears to be an alarm to go off, above my head, several metal security turrets unfold from the walls and lock onto my skull.

"TARGET ACQUIRED!" They blare, almost causing my ears to explode.

"Damn it Mark!" Pfeifer is stood atop his desk, arms raised while what appears to be his tailor works on the suit he's wearing. "Security!" He snaps. "Power down!"

"SECURITY POWERING DOWN!" The turrets return to wherever the hell they came from, forgetting about their desire to kill me... at least for the moment.

"Sorry sir!" Perry yells from the door. "He got past me!"

"It's alright, Perry." Pfeifer says cautiously. "I'll see what he wants."

The Secretary nods before closing the door behind her. I walk towards the desk, Pfeifer still having his suit tended to.

"What do you want, Mark?" He asks as I sit down in one of the chairs by his desk. "The next Response meeting isn't till Monday."

"We need to talk, Pfeifer." My eyes turn towards the tailor. "In private."

"It's my tailor, Mark." He says, a small cocky smile on his face. "I'd trust him with my life!"

"It's about Scythe." Pfeifer's eyes widen. He slaps his tailor's hand away and points towards the door.

"GET OUT!" He orders, the guy running for the door. The boss takes a deep breath before climbing down from his desk and sitting down in his command chair. "Continue."

Is it just me or has everything turned really weird and crazy since New York?"

"I want you to take me to him." I say, pretending nothing just happened. "Now." Then I remember who I'm talking to. "Please." I add.

"Why?" Pfeifer asks, genuine curiosity on his face. "We already know why he kidnapped Daisy."

"He tried to hurt my daughter, Pfeifer. It's been WEEKS since it happened and, understandably, I want to ask him about it."

Pfeifer nods slowly before standing up. "Alright." He pats me on the shoulder and heads towards the door. "Follow me."

"Aren't we going to the Detention Center?" I ask, quickly jumping out of my suit and dashing after him. "Isn't that where you keep all your Carrier Criminals?" Just as I pass by Perry's desk I pinch another lemon square from her plate and head towards the elevator where Pfeifer is waiting. As soon as I step inside, he presses the button at the bottom of the list. It has no number. It's simply marked with the letter 'P'.

"Do you have any idea how many escapes there have been at the Detention Center recently?" He asks. I shrug while munching on the lemon. "That's where we keep the small timers. The criminals."

DING!

The doors open, revealing dozens of large, grey rooms lying before us. The entrance to each covered in glass... and with each room containing an occupant.

"Whoa..." I mutter, crumbs falling out of my mouth.

"This... is where we keep the Supervillains."

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

"Do you have any idea how many escapes there have been at the Detention Center recently?" The Reverend Doctor Dentist seems to just leave when he wants to :)

Nice. Question though, when does this happen in relation to Wind & Water?

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@tommythehitman: Got to keep those Super Criminals under control. Wonder who is being held there?

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: A few familiar faces who Mark will meet next issue.

@batkevin74: It's around the same time. Probably slightly before.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: Just checking, to make sure it fits in continuity wise.

Also it just dawned on me that Mark is a disgusting animal. Why? Made pretty clear by the bogey dripping down her nose. "Lemon squares, Mister Brooks. I made them myself. Want one?" Mark Brooks eats booger infested lemon squares! Blech! Shudder! YUCK!

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@batkevin74: Wrong Legs isn't in Prison as far as I know

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By batkevin74

@impurestcheese: I heard he robbed a liquor store to feed his meth addiction and ended up on the inside

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ImpurestCheese
Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Avatar image for alexander_wolffe
Alexander_Wolffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I read this and the next issue a while ago but never got the chance to comment.

Really liking where this is going, and absolutely loved the separation of the super villains in a super ultra maximum security prison and the regular crooks in the regular. That will lead to some really cool scenes later in 5CC.