Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

5th Column Comics: Peacekeeper #26

For More 5th Column Comics check out the Library

Missed Last issue? Check it out Here!

Apartment 5F, The Silverbeam Building, Indigo City

Wednesday mornings are always the worst, especially after a bitter-sweet night wading through the sewers. Krokodil has escaped justice again, what's more he killed two officers on the way out, ripped them apart and hung anything of considerable size from an olive tree at Olive Peak Park. A lacklustre breakfast of bran doesn't really help improve my temperament. Neither does the phone call I receive as I throw on a black cotton jacket over the slacks and vest I've been sleeping in.

"Cassie this is Torres, we have a new lead in the Officer Slaughter case." Tores states, "Half an hour before you and Krait threw down the CBTF received a warning of an attack somewhere in the city."

"And they didn't act?!" I spit as I fish my keys out of my jacket pocket.

"When the person got through to a case manager the person was gone, all they heard was a song on loop." Torres explains, as I walk through the corridor of the apartment I'm staying in. It's nothing compared to the mansion I'd been staying in, but blackmailing Tori Scahill into donating a large cheque to the ICPD in return for my silence over an illegal matter was worth downsizing.

"What music?" I ask as I sprint down the five flights of stairs to the underground parking garage where my Hawker Sunbeam is kept.

"It was 'Blue Fog' by Dolly Parton, it's almost a description of the attack. Cassie it gets worse, ICPD just got a similar call ten minutes ago, except we got 'Burn Baby Burn' by Ash." Torres tells me, as I start my motorcycle. "There is going to be another attack within the hour."

Route 12 Coastal Highway, Indigo City

As I thunder down the Coastal Highway my mind races, Officer Slaughter virtually told the CBTF what he was going to do, and now he'd done the exact same thing with the ICPD. The song title wasn't exactly subtle, it suggested a fire-bombing the only question was where would he strike. By now the Indigo City Fire Department would be ready to mobilise although all this school traffic would limit response time...

Of course, what better target to shock the public, to get your name splashed across the news than to target children. Pulling off the next exit, I dismount my bike and remove my phone, my fingers flying on the keypad as I contact Torres.

"Torres listen the target is..."

"A school, St Nicholas's Primary School." Torres finishes, a shiver running through my spine. "A fire broke out in the playground, ICFD are en route but casualties are feared to already be in double figures."

"I can't believe it." I whisper as I lower the phone from my ear. "I can't believe he followed through on it." I gasp, before placing the phone back against my ear. "I'm heading in, make sure you have that call ready for analysis. This guy has struck twice already, if I can help it there won't be a third time.

ICPD Plaza One

The now chilling lyrics of 'Burn Baby Burn' plays as I scan down the names of Krokodil's clients from my desk in the ICPD bullpen. Looking across I see Torres standing by the printer as the coroner's report on the art gallery gas attack victims comes through, we're still waiting the photos from the St Nicholas bombing, but initial estimates list eighteen students and six adults as dead, with many more in critical condition. Not surprisingly, Officer Slaughter has already taken responsibility for the attack via a URL to a second video etched in chalk on the molten black-top of the playground.

"Looks like the coroner has determined how the Xeno-Cyan got into the bloodstream of the art gallery victims." Torres announces, as she sits down at her desk. "The gas was laced in the champagne sent to the guests prior to the opening. During digestion the gas and stomach acid reacted together to cause a build up of pressure."

"So the Officer served the champagne or had access to it." I state coldly, as I open the file of the original Officer Slaughter killings. "The original Officer Slaughter was an Officer Stephan Lighter, a former ICPD patrol-man who contracted 'Blight Madness', he went on a rampage and shot eleven people before being arrested and sent to prison. He then ran an illegal IP so he could get his jollies watching other people commit murders for him!"

"I doubt mental trauma from fighting in the Blight Wars is behind these bombings." Torres announces, before slamming her fist on the desk so hard that it leaves a dent in the wood. "Lighter was a cop, the feedback from the media and the transfer of police funds to the CBTF almost killed the ICPD, and now it's happening again!" She yells, her face morphing to become a gaunt skull like visage, one that causes the people behind me to start backing off towards the exits. "Lighter is dead and he's still killing us!"

"Torres I will find this person, and I can garuntee he or she isn't a cop." I state as I get up and hold her hand, fear and adrenaline racing through my body. "You need to stop with the terror though, I can handle it but the rest of the bullpen is getting ready to run either to their hills or their side-arms." I add, as I cup her hands in mine and silently hope Torres gets her powers under control. "Now shake it off please!"

Torres shakes her head, the fear inducing visage withdrawing to reveal the face of the woman I'll never stop loving despite our differences in orientation. As she does a lock of brown hair falls to the desk, the colour draining as its fall is completed. "It's getting worse." She gasps, a solitary tear rolling down her cheek, as she readjusts the wig she's wearing. "Ironic, the day of the Great Impact I became the bringer of fear and yet I'm terrified what happens when all my hair is gone, will it just be the terror left behind? What can I do to stop this?"

"Firstly I think we need a break from all this paperwork, until arson sends their pictures and report to us, there is nothing for us to do except think about what if." I announce, as I take Torres by the hand. "So I suggest we go off campus and find somebody from the big-boards to act as the warm up for when we catch Officer Slaughter."

"I could use a distraction." Torres sighs as she gets to her feet. "So who do you have in mind?"

Church Avenue, Indigo City

Okay so Thomas 'Track' Rhodes and Fiona 'Field Meadows aren't Big Board material, but still anyone who holds up jewellery stores at javelin point deserves my attention.

Both 'Track' and 'Field' are non carriers but that doesn't make them harmless despite public belief. People like Axeman, Hawk Bronson and the Resin Raider are more than capable of being a real threat.

"Cassie heads up!" Torres yells as Field throws a shot-put at me, her amazonian muscles hurling the projectile towards me with enough force to wind me. Clutching my stomach I'm beginning to really regret heading out without my armour as Torres wrestles with Track over a javelin.

"Stupid Cops." Field snorts, as I dodge another shot-put thrown at me. "Everyone knows that the capes do all the real law enforcement these days. Even that looser Peacekeeper does more work then you doughnut eating hogs!"

"Shall I tell her or shall you?" Torres asks, as she rips the javelin away from Track, before using it to trip him face first into the tarmac, before slipping handcuffs on him.

"Go ahead." I sigh, as I swing a tonfa into Field's hand, forcing her to drop the shotput she's holding onto her foot, the heavy projectile hobbling her just long enough for me to force her hands behind her back and handcuff her.

"She's Peacekeeper, I'm Lady Phobia, perhaps you've heard of us?" Torres states, as the watching public begins to disperse save for the hardcore cape-chasers.

"Lady Phobia?'' I ask with mild shock, as Torres reads Track and Field there Miranda Rights as we walk them to the police van parked on the corner. "When did that happen?" I ask as Torres's phone starts ringing.

"Just thought it might be fun is all." Torres replies with a smile, obvious proof that getting away from the Officer Slaughter case has done some good. "This is Torres, okay, okay we'll be back after a trip to central booking.'' She adds, her positive attitude evaporating in the space of fourteen words. "That was Officer Larson from Arson, he's releasing evidence from the fire-bombing to the ICPD, it doesn't look good from some of the evidence he recovered.

ICPD Plaza One

The Larson report shows, in visceral detail, what happened this morning. Officer Slaughter flew a modified drone over St Nicholas Primary School, and under the cover of the early morning rain, sprayed the area with gasoline on his first two passes. On the third pass a small proximity charge detonated, downing the plane and sparking the fuel.

It's his description of the potential bomber that really makes me think, this Officer Slaughter is reckless, low budget and likes the attention. It's so different to the art gallery bombings and that is when the truth sinks in, I'm not looking for one bomber, I'm looking for two, two very different men who are equally as desperate and equally as dangerous.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#5 wildvine  Moderator

26 chapters. I envy how you and Tommy crank these things out so regularly, and for so long.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: Thanks for the comment and the support green eyed monster

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@wildvine: Trust me Wildvine it's driving me insane.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Good, fun issue. Gives us a good look into Cassie's mind while giving some fun inner monologue stuff.

I'm really more of a Saturday person.

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@impurestcheese: so now there are two officer slaughter's out in Indigo, a duo called Track and Field (love it) and Torres has carrier powers. Wonderful. And Cassie has none. Even more wonderful. Good thing she's good at her job.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#10 wildvine  Moderator
ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: Thanks, really loving Peacekeeper and her rouges gallery development at the moment.

@knightofthechronicle: Torres was revealed to be a carrier in the Oni arc, so it shouldn't be too much of a suprise. And yes there is more than one Officer Slaughter out there...more than two even...

Track and Field are free to use if you want them BTW

Avatar image for alexander_wolffe
Alexander_Wolffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Last stop before Codex!

Unless one of you scurvy dogs decided to throw another issue out there without telling me. >_<

Don't know if I'll read now, but this is next on my list so will get to it when I can.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ImpurestCheese
Avatar image for alexander_wolffe
Alexander_Wolffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Alexander_Wolffe

@impurestcheese: So either there's a copy cat or a cult/organization or a movement starting on memory of the original Officer Slaughter. Schweet.

And huh. Didn't realize Torres had a fear form. Maybe we can tie her into Nemesis (same powerset) somehow. If we can develop a strong connection, it could lead to a cool Duo of Fear if Torres and Nemesis ever defect from their respective organizations.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexander_wolffe: Hmm PM me about the twins of terror if you're intrested. And yes there is a number of Officer Slaughter's out there as well as an organisimg for e behind them.