Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By joshmightbe

Continued from here prologue

The Facility: Ten years ago.

Joe Milton and Victor Cole stand with blood dripping from their mouths and noses as their instructor orders them to halt. Their combat training stops as the boys are mid swing. They stop and turn at attention in an almost mechanical fashion.

The subjects of project Sparta are filed into a large room where they take note of armed soldiers all around them. After a quick head count the head of the project stands before them, "You have all been doing very well. We've gathered you all here for a sort of graduation ceremony."

The soldiers were unnerved by the cold expressions of the teens, not one made a sound as they listened. Joe and Victor looked around noticing the safeties were off on the loaded weapons being held. In near unison the subjects nodded as Victor turned to the nearest soldier and smashed his jaw while disarming him. He then shot the soldier next to him before he had time to react.

The soldiers began to fire but the kids had already mixed into their ranks disarming many and using them as human shields before turning the weapons on their attackers.

After a few minutes the firing stopped as the last soldier died. Joe turned to see Victor standing over his twin brother. Of all the subjects only Victor and his brother knew they had family, they were identical aside from a scar under Victor's eye that Joe had given him in a training session.

While the rest kept their cold stares Joe noticed a single tear on Victor's face before shouting, "We should go, more will be here shortly."

As a group they made their way out of the Facility easily evading the security measures.

Hours later a government agent was giving a report to his superior, "We only managed to eliminate ten of them. They wiped out the soldiers."

He then nodded as he listened to his ear piece, "Understood sir."

He then turned to his partners, "Bring in the cleaners, we need to get a story together for this. I want every agent in the company keeping an eye out for them. Kill on site orders have been issued."

Indigo City: Present, Denton area better known to locals as Devil's Den.

A soldier returns home from duty after quite a while away from home. He'd been a bit disappointed that none of his family had met him at the airport but he was still glad to be back. He was shocked to see his wife and teen sons dead but posed on the couch, blood still dripping from their wounds as Demon Dog played on the television.

On the wall above the couch he noticed a Latin phrase written in their blood, 'Mihi Vindictam' <Vengeance is mine.>

As he stares in shock he notices a bag filled sitting near the door. He moves to check it but is caught by the hand of an invisible attacker. Suddenly his throat erupts with blood from a wound caused by an unseen blade. His last sight before dying is the bag by the door seemingly disappear as the door seems to open by itself.

Victor Cole silently walks away from the house. He has the ability to bend light around himself rendering him and anything he touches invisible leaving him safe from detection by the soldiers neighbors as he casually walks away from the house, not that anyone would care much in this neighborhood.

Victor had seen four muggings and an attempted rape between his current home and this house and this was a calm day. He kept himself fed by robbing his victims but that was hardly his motive. He blamed soldiers for taking the only family he'd ever had so he dedicated himself to taking their families away as well.

The papers call him the Indigo Butcher. For the last few months he's been stalking the city due to the recent uptake in soldiers turned task force agents living in the city.

Joe entered the area known as Devil's Den where three men immediately attempted to mug him. He quickly dispatched them without even needing his power. One began to rise from where Joe had thrown him but Joe turned, "If you get up, I'll put you down permanently."

The man dropped back down as Joe walked away. As he walked he noticed someone sliding a hand into his pocket. They let him walk away a bit then turned before noticing Joe's hand still holding the his shirt sleeve. The pick pocket looked shocked as Joe began to reel him back. He then lifted the young girl into the air while holding a hand out in front of her, "Wallet?"

She put it in his hand as he dropped her and turned, "What's with the rubber freak powers?"

Joe didn't turn but replied, "My last visit to this city was eventful."

As he walked the girl followed, "My name's Roxi, I got powers from the impact too."

Joe gave a nod, "Obviously not one that made you a good pick pocket. You following me for a reason?"

She became annoyed, "Seriously, I can prove it. Try to do your stretchy thing."

Joe shrugged and humored her tugging on his thumb. He stopped walking as he noticed it stayed in place. He then turned seeing a smug grin on her face, "Told you?"

He was now genuinely curious, "With an ability like that, why aren't you in a lab?"

"My dad was a soldier assigned to the task force, he thought they'd dissect me if they found out so he didn't register me."

Joe gave a nod, "Sounds smart, does he know you're a pick pocket?"

She got a sad look, "The Butcher killed him, almost got me too but he was surprised when I turned his power off and I got away. He was invisible so I think I'm the only person who has actually seen his face. I knew I couldn't go to the police cause those scanner things they have would let them know I was a carrier and they wouldn't care what I had to say, so I ran. Been on the streets ever since."

Joe sighed, "I'd suggest you find a better way to earn a living, or at least get better at what you're doing."

He began to walk away but Roxie followed, "I ain't looking for a side kick."

"You don't seem too worried about getting spotted, maybe you can teach me how to avoid it."

He gave a wary look, "I have neither the time nor the patients for teaching."

She dropped her head, "Well maybe you...."

She looked up with a pitiful stare but he was gone. She sighed as the phony puppy dog eyes went away, "Damn it."

Joe chuckled from a roof top and began to walk away but noticed a flag hanging from a shop moving. He knew it wasn't the wind because it was blowing in the opposite direction and it moved as if someone had brushed against it. Anyone else wouldn't have noticed but Joe was trained to observe every detail. He followed the path from the flag with his eyes and saw a small splash as an invisible form stepped into a puddle of spilled soda, "Ahh, goddamn it."

Roxie was walking as Joe's hand wrapped around her and yanked her to the roof. She heard an angry grunt as she was yanked up. Joe hushed her as he looked down. Unknown to him, Victor was staring back up at him. He recognized his old sparing partner and decided to wait to get the girl.

(To be continued.)

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Pretty cool stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing how this Indigo Butcher develops. My only real problem was that I couldn't tell if it was in the 1st or 3rd person. Just a minor complaint.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: Third person, I was told it was okay to do it that way. First person is too limiting as it only allows you to tell the story from one perspective.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Vengeance is mine. Nice, not really getting this 5th Column (My attempted series of the same name was a flop so maybe it's biterness) but it is fun to read. Kudos and call me in for #1

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Interesting. Very interesting. Betcha he'll end up training her anyway lol.

And I found it interesting that in my story there was General Butch (who knew about project Sparta and informed my character about it) and now there is the Indigo Butcher..... Slight possibility of connection in the future?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Deathstroker: The Indigo Butcher was one of the kids from Project Sparta and was named the Butcher by the newspapers like how many other serial killers got their nick names. I could see a connection since your General Butch knew of the project which would also make him and his family prime targets for Victor.

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#8 wildvine  Moderator

@joshmightbe: I like the new character. Her power could make for interesting stories. I hate to pick at things, but how did he pull her to the roof?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: He stretches like Mister Fantastic.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wildvine  Moderator

@joshmightbe: So she can turn her power off? That's where I went wrong. I assumed her power was always on for some reason. My bad.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: I figure a conscious ability would make more sense with what I'm going for and it also gives Joe a reasonable motivation for showing her how to evade someone she can't see. It'd just make it too easy for her if the bad guy's power just instantly shut down around her.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wildvine  Moderator

@joshmightbe: It does make more sense. My brain just crashed for a moment.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#13 cbishop  Online
cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#14  Edited By cbishop  Online

@joshmightbe: Jumped right in with the Indigo Butcher. Btw, Joe doesn't have the "patience" for this, not "patients." @wildvine: I'm guessing you assumed the girl's power is always on, because that's how it works for Leech. :)

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@joshmightbe: pretty cool chapter Josh. I like the villain a lot too