5th Column Comics: Daisy Brooks (Wind Duster) #18

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Keep in mind this is my first time writing from the perspective of a 6 year old girl.

Indigo City, Mark Brook's Apartment

Daddy's late again. He's saving people from criminals.... and monsters... and helping to make sure they're safe from harm... or pain.

I just wish the same could be said about him.

"Daisy!" Uncle Snipes calls from the living room. " 's time to go, darlin'!"

I move away from the glass window and stare at myself in the mirror. One of the problems of American schools is the fact that school uniforms are never issue. This means I have to try and remain aware of what I'm wearing at all times in an attempt to not look completely ridiculous.

"Coming!" I yell before opening the door to my bedroom and stepping into the hallway, Uncle Snipes is stood waiting for me, scruffy as ever and smelling like he hasn't had a shower for the past decade.

"Daisy, darlin'..." He mutters, a small toothless grin appearing on his dirty face. "...you got everythin' you need?" My bag's hung up next to my coat by the entrance to my apartment. I walk towards them and pick the two of them up.

"He's not coming, is he?" I ask while pulling my coat on.

"No." Snipes says. "No he isn't." He goes silent for a minute. "You got all your homework?" He asks.

"Yes." Snipes grins again before hugging me with his giant, man bear arms.

"You're a good girl, Daisy." He opens the door and the two of us step outside.

Looks like it's time for school...

Midtown Elementary School

No Caption Provided

"Your grades are slipping." Principal Summers says the second I step into his office. "Compared to your previous grades, they are in fact, plummeting." He glares at me for a moment before nodding towards the chair by his desk. "Take a seat." It feels more like an order then an offer. Summers stares at the sheet of paper in his hands, from what I can guess it contains my grades for the past term.

"You've gone from an A+ in English to a D-." His voice drones on in an endless tone. "C to F in Maths. B to C in History..." My brain turns off while he continues on with his pointless statistics. "Is there any reasons for this?" He asks. "Problems at home perhaps?" He pauses. "Or maybe just lack of effort?"

"No." I answer.

"Which one are you answering?"

"Both."

Summers frowns at me before sitting down behind his desk and staring at me with his bland, bored eyes.

"Any bullying I should know about? Do you want your lessons to be moved to different teachers?"

"I'm fine."

"Yes.... well there is SOME room for improvement." He places my grade sheet back into a large red, plastic folder and pops it on his nearby book shelf. "I'm going to schedule some mentoring sessions after school to help boost your grades up." He smiles slightly at me like he's trying to reassure me that everything is going to be fine. "I'll phone your Mother and book a good time for your classes." I stand up slowly and pick my bag back up from the floor.

"My mum's dead, Mister Summers." I tell him as I walk towards the door. "It's my dad you're going to have to talk too."

It's night time and I'm sat in the living room. Sitting around doing nothing is all I seem to do nowadays. Uncle Snipes is passed out on my bed in another one of his drunken states and I'm trying to keep out of boredom by twiddling a pencil in my hands. The phone next to me hasn't rung for awhile... my hand reaches towards it.

I know just who I'm going to call.

POP!

"...hi, Daisy." Dad says as he appears next to me. He's wearing the new costume that the people at the CBTF gave to him. He smells of whiskey and sweat, almost as if he's been drinking while fighting crime. "You alright?" He asks me.

"I'm fine."

Dad yawns before pulling off his mask and tossing it onto the coffee table before us. "Good." He stands up and plants a quick kiss on my cheek. "I'm gonna go catch up on some sleep." He tells me.

"Good night, dad."

He yawns again before teleporting into his room.

"G'night Daisy Bais."

I stare at the pencil stuck in the palm of my hand and stare right at it. I flick off the lamp next to me and plunge the room into darkness. My mind wraps around the pencil.... and I express my will upon it.

Snap.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

@tommythehitman: "first time writing from the perspective of a 6 year old girl." Well she isn't your average 6 year old is she?

He smells of whiskey and sweat, almost as if he's been drinking while fighting crime. Excellent line.

Good job

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: I have no idea what you're talking about.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: You said: "True! She is very far from average."

I said: "And now you should kill her!"

Meaning that now everyone loves her, do a Joss Wheddon and BAM! Did it with several characters. George RR Martin does it all the time in GOT. Death comes for us all. Imagine what Wind Duster would do if Daisy died! Mark would possibly turn into the greatest super VILLAIN Indigo City had ever seen. Hurricane-teleporting rage machine reeks revenge on city that kills his child.

That's what I meant. Just an idea. Imagine Axe-Man having to turn hero to fight an enraged Mark who starts taking Stardust like you'd eat Skittles!

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#8  Edited By cbishop

@tommythehitman: So the pencil was stuck in the palm of her hand? As in stabbed into her hand? I'm confused. And while I'm sure @batkevin74 could make an excellent story out of his suggestion, not all characters or all stories have to go that dark. Added to the 5th Column Comics Library. :)

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: oh I do! And I will! These are simply suggestions. @tommythehitman has plethora of ideas rattling around his brain

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@tommythehitman: Wow got to say this but looks as if Mark's really about to fall off the wagon as a parent. Maybe Mark needs someone to help take the strain of heroics...I know Peacekeeper is looking to make her name in Indigo City

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: True...and it's a little scary.

Thank you for the compliment.

@batkevin74 I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

@impurestcheese Thanks for noticing my 'subtle' hinting at the situation that is slowly bubbling to the surface!

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@tommythehitman: No problem, I've seen it before so I know what to look for

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: I'm really trying to make it clear that this whole ordeal is taking its toll on Daisy's mind state, especially for a small child. She's gone loving the idea that her dad is a superhero to realizing just how dangerous it actually is.

And that's probably the best characterization I've done so far.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: Ah poor Sharpshot, I think I can hear him slashing his wrists somewhere in Strykers Island

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: HE HAD HIS CHANCE!

Sharpshot VS Wind Duster. Coming... Never.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@tommythehitman: Huh, so Daisy's got mental powers then. And also school troubles too. Sounds to me like the classic 'so smart I'm bored out of my mind' kind of thing. Great chapter man