owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By owie  Moderator
Iron Lad vs Noh-Varr.

Iron Lad is current, Noh-Varr is in his Protector version and has his nega-bands.

Round 1: No prep, no knowledge of their opponent.
Round 2: 1 week prep, both know their opponent's abilities.

Battle takes place on a garbage scow in New York harbor, starting 25' apart.

Both are in character and angry but not fully bloodlusted.  Win by any means.

Who wins and why?

Iron Lad
Iron Lad
Noh-Varr
Noh-Varr
Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Round 1 goes to Noh-Varr and Round 2 goes to Iron Lad.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By jeanroygrant

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

Round 1 goes to Noh-Varr and Round 2 goes to Iron Lad.
BringnIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BringnIt

Noh-Varr is pretty friggin' good with tech, what makes Iron Lad superior?

Avatar image for thewitchinghour
TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By TheWitchingHour

I'd give both rounds to Noh-Varr. Even though Iron Lad is destined to become Kang we haven't seen that many impressive prep feats from him. I'd also argue that Noh has a greater knowledge of temporal and dimensional dynamics than Iron Lad (not Kang though). So I'll go with Noh.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By owie  Moderator

@BringnIt said:
Noh-Varr is pretty friggin' good with tech, what makes Iron Lad superior?
He's a 30th-century tech guy who becomes Kang.  One question here is, is 30th century Earth tech better than Kree tech? 

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek
@jeanroygrant
@TheWitchingHour
This is interesting to me because I would have guessed people would give Iron Lad the no-prep round and Noh-Varr the prep round.  Do you think Noh-Varr's standard, everyday suit/powers are enough to beat Iron Lad's standard suit (which has, for example, a forcefield that can take a nuke)?  I think Noh-Varr's track record on this kind of thing is a bit inconsistent.  For example, Noh-Varr was able to take over all of all of Iron Man's old suits in Fear Itself, but it took him a while to do it.   On the other hand in Avengers soon after that, he lost a fight to Iron Man when Iron Man's suit was controlled from outside.  But then again on the other hand he did well against several Avengers just recently in AvX in space and on Hala, during which IIRC he tanked quite a few solid attacks?  I would personally assume Iron Lad's suit is more advanced than Iron Man's suit, so if Noh-Varr can't beat Iron Man, I would think Noh-Varr can't beat Iron Lad.  Or, is that fight PIS, and is Noh-Varr's more recent fight against the Avengers in space more accurate?
Avatar image for thewitchinghour
TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By TheWitchingHour

@Owie:

Well you have to remember that Noh-Varr doesn't just have Kree tech to aid him but also transdimensional Kree tech and a direct line to the Supreme Intelligence. Another important distinction to make is that Iron Lad is not Kang the Conqueror. He will be, but not yet. Kang has vastly superior prep and fighting feats. Iron Lad was having difficulty navigating the timestream in Avengers the Childrens crusade. Whereas Noh could open windows through time and travel through it when Immortus was disrupting the entire space time continuum. I'd say that Noh-Varr's recent appearances are more accurate to his ability. Also he is a very skilled Kree warrior on top of being a genius.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By owie  Moderator
@TheWitchingHour said:

@Owie:

Well you have to remember that Noh-Varr doesn't just have Kree tech to aid him but also transdimensional Kree tech and a direct line to the Supreme Intelligence. Another important distinction to make is that Iron Lad is not Kang the Conqueror. He will be, but not yet. Kang has vastly superior prep and fighting feats. Iron Lad was having difficulty navigating the timestream in Avengers the Childrens crusade. Whereas Noh could open windows through time and travel through it when Immortus was disrupting the entire space time continuum. I'd say that Noh-Varr's recent appearances are more accurate to his ability. Also he is a very skilled Kree warrior on top of being a genius.

Good points, especially in terms of fighting skill.  I agree that Iron Lad is not yet Kang but I generally think his standard battlesuit is more formidable than Protector's standard battle suit.  But in terms of prep, I would go with Noh-Varr.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Owie said:
But in terms of prep, I would go with Noh-Varr.
I wouldn't. 
owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By owie  Moderator
@Vance Astro said:
@Owie said:
But in terms of prep, I would go with Noh-Varr.
I wouldn't. 
No?  Any examples or reasons you'd give in favor of Iron Lad's prep?
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Owie said:
No, I think it's hard to calculate what either would do with prep. Just because Noh-Varr has prep feats doesn't mean he'd be more inclined to have everything under control. I bet he thought that override device he used against Iron Man would give him the upper hand but it didn't.
owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By owie  Moderator
@Vance Astro said:
@Owie said:
No, I think it's hard to calculate what either would do with prep. Just because Noh-Varr has prep feats doesn't mean he'd be more inclined to have everything under control. I bet he thought that override device he used against Iron Man would give him the upper hand but it didn't.
I can agree with that.  But I think we've seen Noh-Varr try to make new gadgets in the middle of things more often than Iron Lad.  I think Noh's tech style is more about adaptability--slapping stuff together quickly to create a new effect--and Iron Lad's is (from what I can tell) more of a traditional analytic engineering approach.  But again I think Iron Lad's basic armor is more effective than Noh's, so I think it's an uphill battle for Noh-Varr.
ChaosBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By ChaosBlazer

You just read Young Avengers, huh? Great series.

I would say Iron Lad both rounds, without prep he took out Iron Man without meaning to, and with prep he can access the timestream and pull out a bunch of futuristic weaponry that can take out Noh Varr. Nega Bands obviously make this harder for Iron Lad but I still think he takes both rounds. His forcefield can take a nuke, and probably more.