How many Infinity Gems does Thanos need to beat Galactus?

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 owie  Moderator

How many Infinity Gems does Thanos need to beat Galactus? Let's say Thanos is in a hurry to beat Galactus, so he wants to collect as few gems as necessary in order to beat him.

Obviously if Thanos has all of them he can win. But can he win with 1? 2? Which ones would he choose to use if he can only use a few?

Battle takes place on Mars, starting at 30'. Galactus is fed at normal levels. No other prep beyond gathering the Gems. Pre-2015 Secret Wars versions.

Win by any means--but if using BFR, it has to be permanent. If Galactus (or Thanos) is able to return to the field of battle in a reasonable time, the BFR doesn't count as a win, and the fight continues.

In character.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
bakera8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Just the power stone maybe.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He can probably do it with three, the reality, power, and mind gems.

dawnone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By dawnone

Depending on his gem of choice he may need one with greater gems like the reality one should suffice.

Overmonitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Overmonitor

Power gem could do it, amplify a blast to infinity and yes, Galactus would die.

With the Reality Gem and sufficient control and/or the Power Gem to boost it he could also defeat Galactus. He could actually easily give himself the powers of all the other gems if he used the Reality Gem amped by the Power Gem to infinite levels, I would think. I think it would take 2 gems if he was trying to beat Big G via Reality Warping though.

Avatar image for ninjawarrior268
NinjaWarrior268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

With reality gem, he'd win. Without it, he'd lose.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900
deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

He could do it with just one. Either of them. It doesnt matter. Hell, now he might be able to do it wothout one. Seeing as Galactus is used moreso as a stepping stone for characters to cross into a higher tier of power

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With one he could win.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 emperorthanos-  Moderator

He could do it with. depending on which one he uses. The power gem should be sufficient for him to be Galactus.

Avatar image for the_caped_crusader
The_Caped_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1 Gem is sufficient.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 owie  Moderator

Wow, I am surprised to hear all these "one" answers. How many times has someone with one gem beaten someone with the power of Galactus? How many members of Warlock's Infinity Watch brought down someone like Galactus when they had a stone?

How many gems does someone usually have before attracting the notice of someone like the Tribunal or Eternity? Folks have had one stone for a long time before attracting cosmic attention on Galactus's level.

Also, recall that the Inbetweener, with the Soul Gem, fought Galactus in the past without winning--and granted that that was partly due to the fact that Galactus has no opposite. But the one gem didn't help him to the extent people seem to think here.

I think Galactus is being underestimated.

Helicoprion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Helicoprion
Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Spambot

Its been clearly stayed by Starlin on panel that the other gems are needed in order to properly use the reality gem. Without them the reality cannot be properly controlled even by Thanos. With just the power gem I think Thanos loses. Personally I think he needs quite a few to beat a reasonably fed Galactus because most of the gems wouldn't do much against him. Mind gem, no. Soul gem, no. Space gem, isn't doing much and Galactus can teleport entire galaxies. I think he needs 5-6 to beat him even though I am in a small minority. I think a lot of people are misinformed on the gems though. The real question is what Thanos could do with just the power gem. He could prob put up a very good fight but I don't think he could take all out blasts from Galactus.

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor and champion with Power Gem couldn't beat thanos what indication that the power Gem is even that powerful? No high level character has been amped that whilst in possession of power gem

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie: @spambot: I disagree that it would take many gems. How many gems did Thanos use to defeat The Runner? That would be enough. He could age Galactus or make him a helpless infant. The Power and time gem should suffice.

@comicsrulebutdbzdoes2: Thor nor Champion nor Drax have the knowledge of how to make the power gem work. It was stated that they only sub consciously tapped into the power. I think Thanos would fare much better then those simple minded brutes. I agree that no one has used the power gem to success. Still i don't think they should be used to gauge how well Thanos would do.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty: I don't agree he could do to Galactus what he did to the Runner with the time gem. Galactus is a primal part of the universe. The Runner is just really old and had been barred from Death's realm.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot: Being a "primal part of the Universe" does not stop Galactus from starving, being hurt as he was vs Primordial Gods, getting old as he did vs Old King Thor, being turned into a humanoid as he was vs Quasar/Human Torch, nor dying as he did vs Silver Surfer. I've seen nothing to suggest he is above the influence of the Infinity Gem(s)

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Spambot

@pooty: I didn't say he was completely above their influence but I think Thanos would need more than a couple to beat him with them. The whole thing of him being 'old Galactus' when he fought OKT is also close to meaningless imo. I mean he is already like 20 billion years old so why would going 10,000 years into the future suddenly make him old? It makes no sense whatsoever other than Aaron wanting to make us feel like we were really far into the future.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 owie  Moderator

@pooty said:

@owie: @spambot: I disagree that it would take many gems. How many gems did Thanos use to defeat The Runner? That would be enough. He could age Galactus or make him a helpless infant. The Power and time gem should suffice.

@comicsrulebutdbzdoes2: Thor nor Champion nor Drax have the knowledge of how to make the power gem work. It was stated that they only sub consciously tapped into the power. I think Thanos would fare much better then those simple minded brutes. I agree that no one has used the power gem to success. Still i don't think they should be used to gauge how well Thanos would do.

I can buy the idea of two gems, possibly. Although I don't think the number of gems it took to beat Runner has anything to do with how many it would take to beat Galactus, Galactus is clearly far more powerful than Runner.

I don't think aging him would do much. But I could see turning him into an infant. I was thinking that he could just BFR through time travel, I don't recall Galactus having time travel abilities on his own, so that would be a permanent BFR. I am guessing he would need the Power gem in combination with it though.

Overmonitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Overmonitor

@spambot: That was my point exactly but I believe Thanos has enough control over the gems to use the Power Gem to kill Galactus.

And as far as I can tell Galactus hadn't really aged in God of Thunder, he was older but not less powerful at all.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

He'd at least require two. With time and space he could go back to before Galactus emerged from his cosmic egg. He might be able to with just reality but risks himself and the universe in the process. Those saying just the power gem: get real.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie: I would think time travel wouldn't be much for Galactus. idk if he's actually done it before but Odin has shown control over it so Galactus should be able to imo.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He'd at least require two. With time and space he could go back to before Galactus emerged from his cosmic egg. He might be able to with just reality but risks himself and the universe in the process. Those saying just the power gem: get real.

No Caption Provided

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie: We agree that Galactus is more powerful then the runner. But I don't see how power level would prevent the time gem from working. Still, Thanos can increase time so that Galactus has not eaten in eons or reverse time to when Galactus was in a cosmic egg and kill him. Or BFR as you said. Two gems at most is needed IMO.

@spambot: My point is, is that Galactus position in the universe does not make him immune to powers that affect most other super beings. And if Thanos doesn't age him, he can de-age him to the poihe was still in incubation. And kill him then. He can increase time so that Galactus has not eaten in eons making him incredibly weak. The time gem and power gem can beat Galactus for reasons stated.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty: No basis for saying he could beat him with just the power gem imo. Give him a heck of a fight? Most likely but I don't see him winning. Its also conjecture to say he could definitely beat him with the time gem. All it takes is 1-2 big blasts from Galactus to end the fight if Thanos only has the time gem. Galactus is the oldest being in the universe so it would not be an easy thing to deage him even for Thanos.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot: I'm not the one who said only the power gem. All my post have said power gem + time gem. Not only would he be able to control all time meaning he could starve Galactus or kill him as a cosmic egg. But it would give thanos the power to hold off Galactus long enough to operate the time gem. Or Thanos could just freeze time. But a combination of time or reality and the power gem is enough

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty: It seems possible he could win with both but I still wouldn't call it a sure win for Thanos. The reality gem can't be controlled without all of the other gems.

Overmonitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Overmonitor

@pooty: Why exactly would the power gem not be enough? We all know the scan of Thanos blasting Galactus about a mile away at his standard power levels and drain much of his energy with his shields. The Power Gem amplifies that by infinity. Thanos is the only one who has proven that he can control the gems right? And in that same arc Thanos almost killed Galactus and defeated the extradiminsional universe devourer Hunger both at once later after their first encounter, if you haven't read Thanos Samaritan. Why would that not be enough to resist anything Galactus has and also kill him?

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:

@pooty: It seems possible he could win with both but I still wouldn't call it a sure win for Thanos. The reality gem can't be controlled without all of the other gems.

With Time and Power Gem I don't see how Thanos loses. With the time gem, Thanos can stop time before Galactus tries anything. and with the power gem thanos can tank a few hits/blast. Then reverse time to before he was attacked.

And with only the reality gem, Thanos was able to bring Adam Warlock back to life. So he has some control. And Adam said that Thanos could create a reality where Lady Death loved him.

hoverslam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicsrulebutdbzdoes2: The fact that Thor with the power gem couldn't beat Thanos points to how powerful Thanos is and how bad Thor was with using the Power gem. Thanos with the power gem would be able to tap into the true infinite power of the gem and be physically indestructible against any cosmic being.

hoverslam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos needs the power gem to win in a physical battle with no prep. If Galactus has prep Thanos will need other gems, because with only one gem he has infinite physical power and ability but too many other weaknesses.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty: Why exactly would the power gem not be enough? We all know the scan of Thanos blasting Galactus about a mile away at his standard power levels and drain much of his energy with his shields. The Power Gem amplifies that by infinity. Thanos is the only one who has proven that he can control the gems right? And in that same arc Thanos almost killed Galactus and defeated the extradiminsional universe devourer Hunger both at once later after their first encounter, if you haven't read Thanos Samaritan. Why would that not be enough to resist anything Galactus has and also kill him?

You are reading that scan wrong. Firsly, Thanos knew the blast did nothing to Galactus. Secondly, Galactus never said his power was drained. He said he never had to exert so much energy against a shield. That does not mean Galactus was drained or weak etc. Like if you lift 30lbs today. But your previous lift was 20lbs. Did lifting the 30lbs take more energy? Yes. Does that mean it drained you or weakened you? No

Thanos didn't almost defeat Galactus using his own power. He caused major explosions. So Thanos own power did nothing. .Yes the gem amplifies your power but can he harness that energy before Galactus kills him? Hasn't Thanos defeated people who had the power gem? So having the power gem against a vastly superior opponent is not a sure win.

Also, I never said the power gem is NOT enough. Still i didn't say it is enough. In theory i believe the power gem is enough. But going by "feats", i can't prove it. But I believe it is.

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

He can probably do it with three, the reality, power, and mind gems.

Overmonitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Overmonitor

@pooty: Galactus said that he would have to feed afterwards and prior to that he had just fed. I am 95% sure if Thanos had the Power Gem he could amp his shields or durability to higher levels than Galactus could harm.

You are right that the blast essentially did nothing to Galactus though, but Thanos can channel the gem's power better than anyone (Champion had no idea he even had the Power Gem, that's a bad example, he was not channeling it like we are talking about Thanos doing ;-/) and should be able to blast Galactus with enough force to kill him, KO him, or at least BFR him IMO. Thanos has put The Maker in a coma and bitch-slapped the Fallen One and battled Tyrant on his own power without the Power Gem.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@overmonitor: As said, I believe he can defeat Thanos with just the power gem. Still, I feel their are better options available

tiraomoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In thanos hand,the gems that can individually wreck galactus are the soul,reality,power I'm not sure how thanos would fare with the time and space gem but he definately looses to galactus if he uses the mind gem

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 owie  Moderator

Something else to consider is, what are Galactus's strategies against Thanos going to be?

Because the big G isn't just going to sit around waiting for Thanos to try something. What offensive and defensive measures would he use?

iknowwhoyouare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If he uses one gem properly, then that's all he needs unless its the space gem.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Three is a sure win. He can win by two too.

Can't thanos win just by mind gem alone as he's one of the strongest telepaths in marvel?

Bones309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In reality, shouldn't the Reality Gem cover it all?

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depending on the pairing he could beat him with 2, there's no way he could beat Galactus with any 1 gem. With reality + time he could beat Galactus, with space + time he maybe could by going back to the egg like Majin said. With most 3 gem pairings he could beat Galactus as well.

Galatea_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time, Power and Space just to be sure 100%