dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By dane

Premise

Alright boys and girls, it's that time of year again. Time to geek out (even more than usual) and create yourself a fantasy character and jump through a series of hurdles. What hurdles you may ask? Well, I'll tell you after you come up with that character.

The scenario will be announced in a few short days, so get cracking.

Rules

-For you and you alone, you must choose 1 powerset, 1 ability set and 1 special item

-A powerset is a superhuman ability or set of abilities associated with a single individual character. Gambit's kinetic energy charging and superhuman agility are an example of a power set.
-An abilityset is naturally learned or trained skill or knowledge or set of skills or knowledge disciplines associated with a single individual character. Black Panther's martial arts and scientific knowledge are an example of an ability set.
-A specialitem is a unique or uncommon object that has commonly been used by comic book characters that does not typically exist within the real world or could be made with common technology. The magical Ebony Blade is an example of a special item.

Powers

-You may not use powers that include: 
Physical attributes above Spider-Man.
Magic or reality warping.
Probability altering (good or bad luck).
Illusion Casting.
Healing Factor above Wolverines.
Intangibility.
Invisibility.
Flight.
Durability equal to or above Luke Cage.
Telepathy or Telekinesis.
Force Fields.
Pheromones.
Tele-dismemberment. 
Size Manipulation.
Mental Manipulation by any means.
An easy solution to combat situations (Omnicompetence, etc).

Abilities

-You may not use abilities that allow you to:
Gain experience beyond the span of a human life. Be reasonable here, there are plenty of highly skilled mortals to draw upon.
Somehow exceed the limitations of your physical attributes. For example, you cannot perform Spider-Man's acrobatics to the same degree he does without his superhuman agility.

Items

-You may not use items that grant the user: 
Additional powers that exceed the accepted powers threshold (Mjolnir, Iron Man's Suit).
An easy solution to combat situations (Mr. X's mind, Midnighter's battle computer, etc).
Anything that would grant an easy win over a Spider-Man level character. 
-The items you equip will be the only items you have for the scenario.
-Items that help you use your powers like Cyclop's visor or a few deck's of cards for Gambit are free.
-In addition to special items, you may have a small armament of standard firearms (2 pistols and 1 assault rifle/sniper rifle/shotgun) or thrown weapons.
-In addition to special items, you may have 2 melee weapons of standard materials.
-In addition to special items, you may also have armor to the grade of standard kevlar in a design of your choosing.
-As with all of my scenarios, you may not loot fallen enemies for their equipment under any circumstance.

Trainer

-You will have access to one month's training from a master of your choosing. Your trainer may not telepathically fast-track your learning. Earn it under your own steam.

Have fun :D

Scenario

No Caption Provided

Story
As some of you have guessed from the title, there will be a Dark Knight Rising. Except this time it will be you. Bruce Wayne has gone nuttier than a squirrel in a cashew factory after his encounter with the Court of Owls and needs some time to sit down and drink his hot cocoa. Nightwing is all like 'omg I love circuses, fighting crime is scary' so he's no good either. Gotham City needs someone to step up to the plate and we all know you haven't been using that gym membership so you've greedily accepted a rather dubious method of gaining powers, abilities and equipment from a strange man you met on the internet. Even stranger still, it worked and you find yourself in the DC Universe as Gotham's new protector. Unfortunately for the citizens of Gotham (and more directly: you) - Bane is being represented in a fashion befitting his stature and has launched a diabolic wave of crime designed to crush your spirit, and later your spinal column. Because 2 for 2 sounds much better than 1/2 and the only thing standing in the way of his statistical improvement is your central nervous system. To this end, Bane has smashed up both Arkham Asylum and Blackgate Prison and has freed not only their prisoners but also some people who shouldn't even exist in this accepted continuity. Gasp and/or aiee. Can you defeat your enemies and save Gotham? Can you overcome Bane and keep your back intact? Will you even read this part of the thread?

Short Story
Fight Bane and friends. Save people. *braaaiins*   

Accomodation
You'll be staying in a makeshift headquarters in an abandoned part of the subway underneath Gotham City. The front door will be a 5-inch thick titanium vault door that will only open when it scans your personal biometric features. At all other times a hologram will cast making it look like the twisted remains of a derailed train. Inside it'll be similar to one of the Punisher's safehouses. Small but functional. It'll have a bed, a laptop computer, a small kitchen with basic supplies and fresh, clean running water. There will be a footlocker in the corner with unlimited amounts of ammunition for guns (if you have them), unlimited basic throwing weapons (if you have them) and a few replacement regular weapons (again, if you have them). It will not have spare/replacement special items. If for some reason those break or you use them up, they're gone.

Backup 
Nightwing gives walky-talky that you can use to call for backup, in case you get into trouble. Unfortunately the batteries are dying on it. You only have enough batteries to call for help once. It's also up to you which member of the Bat-Family you call. Moreover, how you use their talents is up to you, but there are limits to what they can do. Most of them are more than happy to fight alongside you but you can also ask them to chase down leads, scout out a location, take down a low tier villain, etc. In Oracle's case she can send schematics and detailed villain information (for one sector of the city) to your laptop. In Alfred's case he can perform moderate surgery and first aid.
Available members include:
Alfred
Nightwing
Red Robin (Tim Drake)
Oracle
Catwoman
Huntress 

Additional Information 
Each location will take a certain amount of time to complete. Be realistic about that.
If you lack the skills required complete an area, then you must find some other way of solving that area.
You need 3 sources of information to prepare for Bane's ambush.
You cannot find Bane before he finds you.
After you return home, having completed 2 or more tasks, the League of Assassins (who share the subway system with you) will have found you and dispatched 10 Ninjas to ambush you as you come home. Make of this what you will.

Enemies

Abandoned Warehouse

Information: The Riddler has taken over a warehouse as his impromptu headquarters. Fearing the wrath of the new Dark Knight (who may not stop at fractured cheekbones) he has taken 6 hostages and magnetically secured them to a rather large pipe-bomb. Any attempt to remove them from their predicament will break the magnetic seal and detonate the bomb. The bomb however is not on a timer and the activation/deactivation sequence can be triggered by a laptop in the Manager's office. The system is encrypted with 1024-bit RSA key. Riddler has hired himself some henchmen too.

Enemies:
25 Henchmen (with SMGs)
Riddler
Killer Croc
Nuke (M16, Combat Knife)

Iceberg Lounge

Information: The Penguin has set up shop in his old pad. He has information regarding Bane's location but otherwise poses no threat. Penguin is accustomed to Batman's interrogation skills, a similar level of expertise will be required in to break his silence.

Enemies
25 Henchmen (with SMGs)
Penguin
Solomon Grundy
Bullseye (Adamantium Sais, Edged Throwing Cards, 3 Frag Grenades)

Subway Tunnels

Information: Beneath Gotham's subway there is a hidden passage that leads to Ra's Al Ghul's secret base. You'll need keen investigation skills just to find it, you'll need somewhat more than that to survive the experience. Ra's also has information on Bane, but his price is respect, not fear.

Enemies:
50 Ninjas (with Katanas and Shuriken)
Ra's Al Ghul (Adamantium Saber)
Lady Shiva
David Cain (Colt .45)  
Taskmaster (Broadsword, Desert Eagle, Adamantium Shield)

Steel Mill

Information: Joker has taken over the Steel Mill (gasp) and is planning on carpet bombing Gotham with Joker Toxin, feeling abandoned by Batman's reclusion. He has launched 5 blimps into the air over Gotham. You'll have to board the airships and defuse the bombs before you head to the steel mill to take care of the Joker. Assume that some bomb defusal knowledge will be required to stop this plan from getting off the ground. He has also hired some additional muscle just in case.

Enemies 
50 Henchmen (SMGs)
Joker (Revolver, Joybuzzer)
Harley Quinn (Baseball Bat)
Omega Red
Silver Samurai (Twin Adamantium Katanas)

Clinic

Information: Hush has taken up residency at a sketchy hospice clinic downtown. As usual his motives are unclear but you're pretty sure he's up to no good. He has some information on Bane too, if you can find a way to get him to talk.  The clinic is still full of innocent people and won't withstand a superhero throwdown without casualties.

Enemies:
Hush (Twin Colt .45s)
Storm Shadow (Twin Adamantium Katanas)
Sabretooth (Adamantium) 
Black Widow (Yelena, Silenced P99)

Rotating Restaurant

Information: Darth Vader, just 'cause.

Enemies:
Darth Vader (Lightsaber)

Ambush

Information: Once you have completed all other locations and/or accepted that you are unable to complete those remaining, you will be ambushed by Bane. Bane has synthesized a new version of Venom, which is non-addictive and allows him to produce maximum boosts without affecting his mental acumen. In short: Bane will be deadlier than ever, and he's brought some friends too.

Enemies:
Bane (on Venom)
Deadshot (on a rooftop nearby, Silenced Wrist Guns, .50 cal Sniper Rifle)
Daken (Muramasa Claws) 
Gambit (Mind Controlled)
Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Erik

Based on reading the rules, if you choose to have Spider-Man's power set as it fits within the power set limits, you would not be able to fully utilize it because of human limitations from the Abilities limits.

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dane
@Erik said:

Based on reading the rules, if you choose to have Spider-Man's power set as it fits within the power set limits, you would not be able to fully utilize it because of human limitations from the Abilities limits.

No, what it means is executing an ability must be within your physical potential. If you take Spider-Man's powers and Daredevil's abilities you will only enhance Daredevil's acrobatics by having superhuman agility to execute those acrobatics. However, if you take Daredevil's powers and Spider-Man's abilities you will not be able to use Spider-Man's superhuman acrobatics without having his superhuman agility.
Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By Erik

@Dane:

Okay cool. I think you should explain that in the OP because to me, it sure does not lead me to think that just reading the rules. Something at the end of that Abilities section that goes a bit like, "Blahblity blah blah unless your power set allows it." or something to that effect.

Avatar image for eatmore_payless
eatmore_payless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By eatmore_payless

so How many powers can we put on the power set specifically?

DedmanWalkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DedmanWalkin

You will need to add Size Manipulation to your list of forbidden powers. When combined with teleportation, Size Manipulation becomes relatively unstoppable.

JediWaffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JediWaffles

Power Set: Spiderman's.

Ability Set: Lady Shiva's

Special Item: Lightsaber

Additional Gear: Two 9mm Pistols, 2 vibranium daggers, Spiderman's typical suit, but of standard kevlar resistance. Also, would Spidey's webshooters be included in his natural gear and thus be part of the additional gear?

Trainer: Liam Neeson. I win.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

Initial idea -Not really functional but awesome fanboying

power set: Lin Beifong

ability set: Snake-Eyes

Item :Armor and Coils of Adamantium Cable

Additional gear: Two FNP Five-Seven Pistols, Katana and Combat Knife, AK-74

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By beatboks1

@Dane

If I choose Daredevil's "ability set" could I get his Radar ? I know it started out as a power, but during the miller era he lost it and had to get stick to "teach it to him" to re-acquire it. It was supposed to be a latent ability we are all capable of but simply don't use because we're used to seeing with our eyes.

If so

Power set - Shield - basically speed agility of Spidey, strength and durability of cage

Ability set - Daredevil

Item - Mother box Needless to say with all the things not allowed not working. so a source of information, that can allow teleport, healing and energy manipulation within the specified guidelines

additional gear

Kevlar costume, Two colt 45's (and ammo), hunting knife, 10 sherikens, a grapnel.

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dane
@beatboks1: Well Daredevil uses it because he is reliant on it. Other people who were trained by Stick don't use it. I'd say calling it an ability might be stretching it. I think a Mother Box is too powerful also.

@eatmore_payless: You can use the power-set of a specific character. Just one character.

@JediWaffles: Web-Shooters are a Special Item on their own.

@DedmanWalkin: Not that I know anyone who has both, but I've banned it.

@Lunacyde: Seems legit.
ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By ReVamp

@Dane: I have somewhat of a question. Are you going to be making this a debating tournament?

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dane

And while I'm here I may as well throw in my own character.

Powers: Albert Wesker.
Abilities: Bruce Wayne.
Special Item: Black Panther's Civil War Gear.
Equipment: Grapple Gun.

Avatar image for turok_son_of_stone
turok_son_of_stone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Power:GAMBIT'S POWER SET

Ability:Cu-Chulainn's fighting, and strategical skill as well as wit

Item: lightsaber , throwing knives and throwing spears. And one S&W .500

Trainer: Chuck Norris orCu-Chulainn (the 616 version who fought Thor, valkerie and 2 other Asgardians simultaneously to a stand still.)

if i broke the rules just reply and ill adjust as needed but i think i have this thing locked down

thank you for the reply i think its all legit now

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dane
@ReVamp: It's a surprise.
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dane
@turok_son_of_stone: The Force breaks the rules, as does having more than one unique item.
Sherlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sherlock

YES!A new one we are all saved ill be back for this when i give it some thought

ThaMessenger07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ThaMessenger07

@Dane: So issue I have, Iron Fist's Chi? Is that ability, or Powerset?

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By renamed040924

This seems pretty awesome. My sheet will be up soon.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nick_hero22

Powers: Smiley (Predator) - basically his physical stats

Abilities: Batman - basically his armed/unarmed and steath knowledge

Gear: Predator Hunting Mask and Armor, Wrist Blades, Combi Stick, and 2 Shurikens

I will let Deathstroke train me in the art of assassination

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dane
@ThaMessenger07 said:

@Dane: So issue I have, Iron Fist's Chi? Is that ability, or Powerset?

To use it the way he does: both. Because the Chi was gained by plunging his hands into the dragon's heart it is an acquired power and Danny Rand had to study and train for a long time to use it they way he does, it's also a function of his learned abilities. You can have Danny's martial arts without his chi manipulation powers and you could have his chi with his learned control of it, but you won't be as effective with either unless you have both.

@nick_hero22: Seems fine.
beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By beatboks1

@Dane said:

@beatboks1: Well Daredevil uses it because he is reliant on it. Other people who were trained by Stick don't use it. I'd say calling it an ability might be stretching it. I think a Mother Box is too powerful also.

Fair enough, I though i could restrict the Mother box enough. How's this

Powerset - Still Shield

Ability Set - Danny Rand Iron Fist ( with that i assume the training that allows him to focus on senses and attain near superhuman hearing etc)

item - Captain America's shield

Other gear - Kevlar armor, two colt 45's (and ammo), grapple gun, flashbangs, knock out gas grenades, sherikens, and hunting knife.

Trainer - Bruce Wayne for tactics and stealth focus (already got the combat covered)

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dane
@beatboks1: It's likely that Danny's enhanced hearing, along with all of his physical superhuman attributes are based on chi manipulation.
(((Prodigy)))

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By (((Prodigy)))
@Lunacyde said:

Initial idea -Not really functional but awesome fanboying

power set: Lin Beifong

ability set: Snake-Eyes

Item :Armor and Coils of Adamantium Cable

Additional gear: Two FNP Five-Seven Pistols, Katana and Combat Knife, AK-74

Yes, yes, and yes.
(((Prodigy)))

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By (((Prodigy)))

(I already asked this on the Ledger, but there's not much action there) 

Do Backlash's psi-whips count as telekinesis?

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dane
@(((Prodigy))): Nah, they're fine.
beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By beatboks1

@Dane as i recall one showing against sabretooth where he used the hearing after being blide d by snow (IIRC) he clearly had a flashback to when he was taught to focus to achieve it. I'll find the scan when I get home. That and a few others are why I believe it to be more of an aquired skill through training.

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dane
@beatboks1: Well I just don't see how enhanced senses is a learned ability. Blind fighting is though.
beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By beatboks1

@Dane see i never saw him as having " enhanced" hearing . just that he can focus his mind more to attune his hearing ( because of training) or the way his mind percieves it. that's basically what one with Martial arts training to fight blind folded learns. let's face it most people hear a lot more than they actually think they can. Most of the sounds we dont " want to hear" we mentally filter out. I had a friend who once lived right next to an airport ( Coolangatta) he never even noticed the planes landing ( which i originally found very hard to believe) because he filtered out subconsciously the sound. The more i visited him when he lived there the more i had to admit that I never noticed them either. I dont see IF as having super senses just that he can focus them more/ better ti a certain task to notice or hear things that others would not notice because they filter out natuarally. It much the same as a soldier on a mission being in a high alert state that allows them to react much faster only tuned up a notch through meditaion ( all of which would be part of his training in Chi)

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dane
@beatboks1: Yeah, I figured as much. If you want his blindfighting ability that's totally cool. But anything chi enhanced will require some chi.
beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By beatboks1

@Dane: yeah. now that I'm home, found those scans. As you'll see it's definitely a trained skill. I'm not for a second suggesting he would have hearing or smell like DD or Logan etc. Or that he would even use it until a reason presented itself. But if he had reason to want to seek out the presence of someone nearby he has options other than just sight.

No Caption Provided

For some reason I'm having trouble loading the next two images where it details the use of ALL his other senses.

http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/beatboks1/iron-fist/108-558449/ironfist_uses_othrer_senses_when_blind/105-2348838/

http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/beatboks1/iron-fist/108-558449/ironfist_heightened_senses_/105-2348837/

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dane
@beatboks1: Seems legit, I'll allow it. I think it's just high quality blind fighting, not necessarily improved senses as he shows at other times. Either way I strongly doubt it'll change the outcome of most fights.
beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By beatboks1

@Dane said:

@beatboks1: Seems legit, I'll allow it. I think it's just high quality blind fighting, not necessarily improved senses as he shows at other times. Either way I strongly doubt it'll change the outcome of most fights.

Is the rest of my character allowed? I assumed that since the senses were teh only thing you questioned it was all that wasn't in.

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By dane
@beatboks1: Yep, seems fine.
(((Prodigy)))

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By (((Prodigy)))

This may be prone to alterations, but this is my initial idea... 

Power Set 
Backlash (superhuman agility, energy tendrils)  

Skill set 
Taskmaster 

Special gear 
Black Panther's classic gear (vibranium weave bodysuit, anti-metal claws, energy daggers) 

Additional gear 
Dragunov sniper rifle w/ thermal scope, two Bowie knives 

Trainer 
Black Widow

Can I assume that Backlash's mist form is not allowed?

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

Ultimate Bender

Power Set

Aang

Skill set

Azula

Special gear

Constrictor Suit and Coils

Additional gear

Throwing Knives and Shurikens, Twin FN Five-Seven Pistols

Trainer

Lin Beifong

ThaMessenger07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ThaMessenger07

@Dane: Thank you, exactly what I needed.

Powers: Sabretooth

Abilities: Ultimate Captain America

Special Items: Laser Shield (Cap's that was given to Primax),

Additional Items: Titanium Tomahawk, 5 throwing Knives, a Combat Rifle, Ultimate Captain America's Suit (Redesigned)* <Advise, is this fine?

Trainer: Black Panther

Yai_Inn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Yai_Inn
Power-Set: Tao 
Abilities: Karate Kid  
Special Items: Boba Fett Armor  
Trainer: Kang
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By dane
@(((Prodigy))): Pretty much. 

@ThaMessenger07: All good.

@Yai_Inn: Karate Kid is against the rules, as is Tao.
Yai_Inn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Yai_Inn
@Dane: How so? There's nothing against intelligence or voice-induced manipulation in the rules... 
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By dane
@Yai_Inn
No Caption Provided
(((Prodigy)))

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By (((Prodigy)))
@Dane:  
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By dane
@(((Prodigy))): Gross.
Yai_Inn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Yai_Inn
@Dane: I see. But when selected it was not against the rules. I will think of an alternative. Question; how is Karate Kid against the rules? 
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By dane
@Yai_Inn:

Powers

-You may not use powers that include:
Magic or reality warping.
Yai_Inn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Yai_Inn
@Dane: I wasn't selecting his powers though. Just abilities, master of all combat forms. One more question, do you have to use all the powers in a powerset? Like if someone can fly can you select them and just not have their flight? 
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By dane
@Yai_Inn: He doesn't have powers. His abilities don't make sense. A human shouldn't be able to beat up a Kryptonian with martial arts. Karate Kid is not permitted in scenarios because he can't be balanced. Also, this isn't a debate dude. When I say someone isn't allowed it's for a reason. You aren't the first person to try to use Tao or Karate Kid in a scenario.

For power-sets it depends on the character but more often than not you have to pick someone whose power-set fits within the rules completely. But for someone who has one ability that seems unrelated to their other abilities you could just disable that one and take the others.
Esquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Esquire

Well, here's my first try at posting on the Vine:

Power Set

Wolverine (Bone Claw)

Skill set

Deathstroke the Terminator

Special gear

Doctor Octopus's arms (Titanium)

Additional gear

Twin Mac-10 Submachine Guns, Barrett .50-cal Rifle, Kevlar-Strength armor in the style of Spidey's black suit, but with silver piping to match the titanium arms.

Trainer

Batman (Bruce Wayne)

I assume adamantium isn't legal for either Wolverine (unless I chose it as special gear), or for Ock's arms (because it's too powerful), right?

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By dane
@Esquire: Adamantium Wolverine is fine. Doc Ocks arms are out because they can lift over 10 tons.
Esquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Esquire

According to the comicvine wiki, each arm can lift 3 tons, but one has to be used for support, making it a maximum lifting power of 9 tons. Is that not accurate?

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By dane
@Esquire: It isn't. Quite simply, Doc Ock can and has overpowered Spider-Man with his tentacles. The limit for strength is Spider-Man.