Bracket Battle: One-time Amps (2 of 4: Medium)

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By owie  Moderator

This is a bracket battle among characters who all have one-time amps!

Due to the nature of these amps, feats are often limited in number, so extrapolate and estimate as you please. Have fun with this and feel free to take a guess rather than worry about being perfectly accurate!

All the fights in round one occur, then the winners move on to round two, and so on. Last one around is the winner. Everyone is fully rested and healed after each round, and weapons are replenished.

In character, fights start at 30’ in the Badlands of South Dakota. Win by KO, death, or incapacitation.

Sometimes I have changed the characters’ weapons from the original.

What is a one-time amp in this context? I tried to limit myself to amps that only lasted one issue, or at most one story arc.

I will admit to be very Marvel-heavy in these brackets, just because that’s what I’m most familiar with. I am planning to do another set of these sometime in the future, and already have some extra characters for them, but if anyone has any suggestions for great one-time-amped characters, please let me know—and give me some details on the level of their boost to help me know what tier to put them in. Thanks!

I have put in the issue numbers if I know them. If I haven’t put in the issue numbers, and you know them, please post them below and I’ll edit the OP to include them.

This round is medium-powered characters, around mid-tier to herald-ish. Granted some of these people are clearly tougher than others, but making a bracket with one-time amps doesn't lend itself towards perfectly even brackets.

With that…who wins each fight in each round, and why?

The Bracket
The Bracket

Character details:

The merged Red Hulk/Venom/Ghost Rider (Hulked-out Symbiote of Vengeance) from the Circle of Four (Venom #14).

Rick Jones with the Beyonder’s amp in Rom #72.

Marsha Rosenburg with the subconscious powers of the Molecule Man (cosmic cube version) She doesn’t know she has the powers, but they will react on their own as appropriate, as seen in the comics. She does have her plasma, ash, and rock forms under conscious control. Fantastic Four Annuals 23 and 24. I’m putting her on a lower tier than her actual power level may suggest because she isn’t aware that she has the powers and they only work intuitively.

Klaw, enhanced by Doom’s Beyonder power in Secret Wars 1 #12. Like Marsha, I’m putting him in this level, which may be low considering how his power was described, based on the level that he actually used it on. If you think he may go above that level of use in this battle, that’s fine.

Megatron, with all the Deceptions’ powers in the Sunbow TV episode “Heavy Metal War” (season 1, episode 14).

Cyclops and Apocalypse, merged together (starting in X-Men #98).

Cloak, overtaken by his hunger under the influence of Mr. Jip, Strange Tales 9.

Darla, from Marvel Knights X-Men, hopped up on the rednecks’ drugs (Marvel Knights X-Men 1-5, but especially the last couple issues).

Katie Power, after absorbing the power of Mjolnir and Stormbreaker (Thor #363). She can release this power once per battle, otherwise she needs to absorb new energy.

Iron Man (Rhodey) has his armor reconfigured by Mr. Fantastic, and has the power amp he received from the Human Torch and Monica Rambeau in Secret Wars I #4 (under the mountain). He can use this power once per battle, otherwise he's normal Iron Man from that era.

She Hulk, after preparing for her rematch fight with Champion (She Hulk #8, 2004).

Captain America (Steve Rogers, without super soldier serum), with his Iron Man-style armor from the final issue of the Avengers (most recent volume #44).

The Thing has his power enhanced by his contract with Mephisto in Secret Wars II #7.

Buffy with Season Eight “Twilight” arc powers.

Rhiahn the Beta-Beast, amplified by the Energex-Ray, in Marvel’s Godzilla 14.

Gargoyle, with his demon nature released and enhanced by the Gnostic Sorcerer, from Defenders 136-7.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided