• 116 results
god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

This is a thread dedicated to the threads that we believe are helpful to the battle forums and will help separate and organize the various other threads from the actual rules threads into a single, concise location. If you have a thread idea that you believe may be of help to debaters, then please feel free to ask us to edit it into this. All of the threads will be linked to their respective titles and given a brief description of what they are about.

Table of Contents

1. Debaters Rating Thread
  2. Battle Ideas Thread
  3. The Battle Callout Phonebook
  4. Debating Tips: Past and Present
  5. Debaters Hall of Fame
  6. Respect Thread Directory
  7. The Up For Votes Thread
  8. The Battles Bible
  9. Searching for existing battles using Google, 101
  10. Can "X" Do This? Feat Analysis/Comparison Thread
  11. Tournament Tracker Thread
  12. Battle of the Week/The Indie Side Tracker
  13. The Respect Thread Request/Reservation Thread 2.0

14. Star Wars debating - meta change

A thread allowing other users to ask other debaters on the battle forum to rate and critique their performances in debates.

2. Battle Ideas Thread

A thread dedicated for asking/discussing if certain battle threads are good ideas or where some suggestions could be made for a battle thread.

A thread where users can request to represent a certain character so others may tag them in a battle thread.

4. Debating Tips: Past and Present

A thread where users are able to read up and discuss debating tips from past and present Viners.

5. Debaters Hall of Fame

A thread to commemorate all of the Viners that have been awarded hall of fame status for their skills and knowledge as debaters.

6. Respect Thread Directory

A thread with links to various respect threads across the Vine for a more in-depth view at a character's abilities.

7. The Up For Votes Thread

Feel free to post links to your challenge a viners and tournaments so other people can vote on them. Or if you are interested in voting feel free to check this thread out.

8. The Battles Bible

Helpful information on how to conduct oneself on the Battle Forum

9. Searching for existing battles using google, 101.

This is how you search battles using google to avoid making duplicate threads.

10. Can "X" Do This? Feat Analysis/Comparison Thread

This is the thread you go to, to discuss feats. If you want to compare specific feats but don't wish to discuss a battle go here. Or if you want to discuss attributes like strength, durability, speed, etc. go here.

11. Tournament Tracker Thread

This thread tracks current and upcoming tournaments being hosted on the Battle Forum.

13. The Respect Thread Request/Reservation Thread 2.0

Thread dedicated to requesting respect threads.

14. Star Wars debating - meta change

Thread dedicated to recommended text that helps cut down on confusion about how the Star Wars Legends continuity normally works in regard to battle threads.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Nice.

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By TheTrueBarryAllen

:)

Frisky4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neat. Don't know how I feel about it.

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Huh. This'll be differant.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

..I can't believe we hadn't thought of this before. Such a simple yet helpful idea. Awesome.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

..I can't believe we hadn't thought of this before. Such a simple yet helpful idea. Awesome.

@beatboks1 suggested this a few times.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: Ah, well props to him as well then.

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Ooh this is a cool idea but @god_spawn I think this is harder to go look for the threads...

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

well this makes it faster and better.

All in one place.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 god_spawn  Moderator
mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn I have to point out that "The Battle Callout Phonebook" is no longer being updated, and hasn't been for several months now, even if users tag the OP and directly request that they want to be tagged. With that said, a new (more active/willing) individual in charge of putting names up would be welcomed.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mysticmedivh

Ooh this is a cool idea but @god_spawn I think this is harder to go look for the threads...

The big bold underlined titles, although black, are clickable links that takes you to the thread.

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well you need to click this thread then the other. Most topics are fine but the phonebook imo needs to be readily accessible. For users old and new.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well you need to click this thread then the other. Most topics are fine but the phonebook imo needs to be readily accessible. For users old and new.

It's not too hard to click two links to get where you need to be; and the Phonebook is honestly one of the more annoying topics due to the fact that it just allows users to regularly spam callouts.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By ShootingNova

We could add the rules to this.

Still a good thread idea, though.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lowlaville said:

It's not too hard to click two links to get where you need to be; and the Phonebook is honestly one of the more annoying topics due to the fact that it just allows users to regularly spam callouts.

Individuals who willingly request their names to be placed under the Phonebook should be accept some of inevitable consequences such as receiving plenty of notification.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We could add the rules to this.

Still a good thread idea, though.

Not a bad idea; then everything is accessible in 1 topic with a variety of links for the user-made topics that aren't rules/regulations.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lowlaville said:

And all though I think the phonebook is helpful I find a lot of users don't use it. I've removed myself from the phone book like 6 months ago but I still need to tell users to stop calling me into threads with characters I don't care about (I was never even in the phonebook for half the stuff I get called out for).

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen said:

@lowlaville said:

Individuals who willingly request their names to be placed under the Phonebook should be accept some of inevitable consequences such as receiving plenty of notification.

I've asked my name to be removed from characters; yet I still get tagged in posts regarding those characters, and I get tagged for characters I never signed up with in the first place.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mysticmedivh

@mysticmedivh said:
@thetruebarryallen said:

@lowlaville said:

I've asked my name to be removed from characters; yet I still get tagged in posts regarding those characters, and I get tagged for characters I never signed up with in the first place.

In post #12 of this thread I mentioned that The Battle Callout Phonebook has not been updated for several months, and that the OP of the thread should be replaced by a more willing and active user.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

And all though I think the phonebook is helpful I find a lot of users don't use it. I've removed myself from the phone book like 6 months ago but I still need to tell users to stop calling me into threads with characters I don't care about (I was never even in the phonebook for half the stuff I get called out for).

I'm not even in the phonebook (and I never requested a place in any part of it) and I get called out in all these random threads as well. It's outrageous.

Not a bad idea; then everything is accessible in 1 topic with a variety of links for the user-made topics that aren't rules/regulations.

Well, I thought a thread like this should be the ultimate reference for Battle forum-related help.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen said:

Well, I thought a thread like this should be the ultimate reference for Battle forum-related help.

Agreed; essentially turn this thread into the HUB for the Battles Forum.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 god_spawn  Moderator

That is kind of the point of this thread. All the other threads went days without being used, save for the CaV thread, which we have a reason to keep it separate and wish to promote it. This allows us to maintain all the threads that people want pinned and future threads that could be pinned, and keep them in 1 location without having X amount of threads that aren't essential, but still something we like and find helpful, to be on the front page of the forums. This prevents the main page from getting cluttered (which has happened from time to time) and you have a description under each linked title.

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn I have to point out that "The Battle Callout Phonebook" is no longer being updated, and hasn't been for several months now, even if users tag the OP and directly request that they want to be tagged. With that said, a new (more active/willing) individual in charge of putting names up would be welcomed.

sophia updates it on a weekly basis....

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll just call @god_spawn to add the rules, then, in case he missed some of the earlier posts.

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lowlaville said:

That is kind of the point of this thread. All the other threads went days without being used, save for the CaV thread, which we have a reason to keep it separate and wish to promote it. This allows us to maintain all the threads that people want pinned and future threads that could be pinned, and keep them in 1 location without having X amount of threads that aren't essential, but still something we like and find helpful, to be on the front page of the forums. This prevents the main page from getting cluttered (which has happened from time to time) and you have a description under each linked title.

I understand your reasoning for doing this.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BeaconofStrength

I like this idea. Leaves more rooms for battles.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysticmedivh said:

I've checked multiple user requests and the original post but I couldn't find their names under the requested location.

In fact, another user above me, TheTrueBarryAllen, was saying how it was frustrating that he's still getting tagged (because of The Battle Callout Phonebook) even though he's requested that his name be removed.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 god_spawn  Moderator

@shootingnova: We kept the rules separate because want them to be visible on the front page right away. Maybe in the future we will have just one pinned thread as a HUB, but this is more for supplemental threads at the moment. The only thing withstanding is the CaV thread, but that thread is used on a daily basis and promotes some of the best debates, so we kept it up.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: Fair enough.

We kind of do need a pinned thread with the rules and stuff, because people seem to ignore or not know about it all the time.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: I have a quick question; why isn't the Battles Bible included within the Rules?

HigorM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HigorM  Moderator

Actually, it looks better now..

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 god_spawn  Moderator

@thetruebarryallen: The battles bible was made as a separate entity and is like a quick reference in making threads and posting etiquette. We've had parts from the battles bible that we integrated into the rules thread, though.

@shootingnova: We have 2 pinned rules thread.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: I meant the thread listing all the rules and related threads but I suppose it doesn't make a difference.

ssj_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hmm... nice way to downsize

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mysticmedivh said:

Several users (including me) have requested to be under some of the characters but we're STILL not listed.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#41 owie  Moderator

Makes sense to simplify the number of pinned threads. @god_spawn It might be worth it to make the paragraph-style thread names in the OP into links

(Table of Contents

2. Battle Ideas Thread
  4. Debating Tips: Past and Present)

as well as the existing links in the large heading text, simply because the heading links are black and new users may not realize they are links.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 god_spawn  Moderator

@owie: I have used the black background for years, so for me the white text looks easier and I forget we have the white option. But I'll do it in a minute to link the ToC text at the top too.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43  Edited By mickey-mouse

Good Job.

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet

Just noticed this

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: Any chance of a "Tournament/CaV" Forum being made? Because those make up a very good portion of the threads here, and it would be nice to have to search less.

NotATreeABush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Liked it way better the other way, but whatever

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Excellent. Brilliant way to consolidate and make things more streamlined. Kudos on eliminating some of the clutter that pinning threads was becoming. I'm actually very impressed by the simplicity of the solution. @god_spawn: well done job by the mods. Great way to make multiple parties appeased and still be innovative. hat tips and all........

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By beatboks1

@jashro44 said:

@i_like_swords said:

@beatboks1 suggested this a few times.

To be fair only because a few other comic forums I go to have done it that way. On one forum they used to have 15 stickies (frustrating as only a dozen or so threads were ever on the from page), now only one with the links to the 15 in it. Makes using the site a LOT easier.

Tell me about it. I've never even been in the phone book AT ALL, and I get so many call outs it beyond a joke. has anyone EVER seen me take interest in debates that didn't feature either a mystical, or demonic character or a member of the JSA/All Star Squadron/Infinity Inc, LoSH, Legion/Rebels, Defenders, West Coast Avengers, heroes for hire or suicide squad?? yet i get call outs galore on characters I've never even read

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: Any chance of a "Tournament/CaV" Forum being made? Because those make up a very good portion of the threads here, and it would be nice to have to search less.

Do you mean a thread where people post Tournament suggestions or one where they organize tournaments?