Batman Battle of the Month VOTING: Batman Beyond vs. Ultimate Spider-Man

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Batman Battle of the Month VOTING: Batman Beyond vs. Ultimate Spider-Man (478 votes)

Terry McGinnis (Batman) 64%
Miles Morales (Ultimate Spider-Man) 31%
Too close to call 4%

"A 'Batman Battle of the Month' without Bruce Wayne? What kind of madness is this I see on my computer screen?"

Every other month, the Dark Knight will get some much needed R&R in this segment. While he's catching some sleep or finally getting around to a movie he's been waiting to watch, another character from the Batman universe -- be it ally or enemy -- will step up to the plate in this segment and square off against a non-DC character in a random encounter. This month, we thought we'd kick the rotation off with something really special: future Batman vs. alternate universe Spider-Man. Morales or McGinnis? Who are you siding with and why, Viners? Read all of the rules below (seriously, it takes less than a minute) and then feel free to cast your vote or post an argument.

Match Rules

• Combatants are in character (this means regular morals apply).
  • This is a random encounter.
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. Assume they start roughly 30 feet apart and visible. There's a fair amount of cover between them (parked vehicles, bus stops and such). The entire area is on limits. This means alleys, rooftops, building interiors, etc.
  • Both characters have standard gear.
  • Terry doesn't have anyone in his ear to give advice nor can he call upon vehicles (it's not future Gotham, after all).
  • Incapacitation, knockout or death all count as elimination.

Viners, you have the week to research, debate and vote! This means there's no reason to vote right away if you don't have all of the info you need to make an educated decision. Check the homepage Friday for an updated article with the following:

• My extended thoughts on the match.
  • A Viner Argument in favor of the poll's winner (can't include scans and must be in the poll thread).
  • Extra thoughts from other Comic Vine staffers.
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

If you have a moment, please vote in this poll and speak your mind. I'm always looking to keep this segment fun and I have plenty of ideas for it that I'd like to propose over time. Your input is greatly appreciated. Seriously, I mean that.

Also, feel free to make future match suggestions in the comments below or via Gregg's Twitter page.

• 
GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

@granitesoldier: It's subjective. One person might view the soldier as a bastard for killing his enemy, while another might view him as a hero.

Fair enough, then a terrible person I am.

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@slimj87d said:

@jashro44 said:

@cadencev2: I don't see how he could possibly use a grenade to wound someone...Or a flame thrower.

@slimj87d I thought it was stated in Brubakers run he killed Nazi's?

I'm trying to think through all volumes. I usually have a good recollection of Brubakers run but I can't think of anywhere of him saying he killed Nazis.

Like I said.

It never stated he used them at all. only carried them. I carried a 9mm or M-16 most of my time in the Navy, never used them....

I need to see visual or stated proof.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@granitesoldier: Naw mate. You're just doing what you feel is right. That does indeed make you a hero.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

@cadencev2: I don't see how he could possibly use a grenade to wound someone...Or a flame thrower.

It never stated he used them at all. only carried them. I carried a 9mm or M-16 most of my time in the Navy, never used them....

Really? Your going to argue that he carried a weapon and didn't use it? So it was just for show? And you need to reread the scan because it says "Steve Rogers never enjoyed using guns, flame throwers, or grenades, but he had no aversion to them either." It states right there that he used them....

Also about wolverine08's scan Steve caused 2 guys to jump off a train by tossing his shield at them...Thats what him and Sharon are talking about. Pretty sure it was intentional to.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

@jashro44 said:

I'm trying to think through all volumes. I usually have a good recollection of Brubakers run but I can't think of anywhere of him saying he killed Nazis.

IIRC, during Brubaker run, he only really threw grenades at groups of soldiers

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

@granitesoldier: Naw mate. You're just doing what you feel is right. That does indeed make you a hero.

I think, personally, there's devaluation of the term "hero". I'm no hero, I do a job, a duty, I volunteered for. I do what that job requires. A hero goes above and beyond, does more than is needed, and does so at own personal risk.

What I do isn't personal, it's professional. What I mean is I don't hate the men I fight against. I don't know them, they're just professionals like me. I feel sympathy for those effected by war who didn't volunteer. The wives, husbands, children, the ones who didn't volunteer. I enjoy my job, but I don't enjoy taking a life. I don't feel "sorry", but I don't look forward to it. I do what I do in the, perhaps naïve, hopes that people like me won't be needed in the next generation.

But as Plato said, "Only the dead have seen the end of war".

Now that I am done with my completely inappropriate divergence of this topic, I'll shut my mouth.

How 'bout that Miles, huh?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#207  Edited By Veshark

@cadencev2 @slimj87d@wolverine08@jashro44

Come on guys, it's a well-known fact that Cap kills. 616 Cap has used lethal force whenever it is required. I know, in the past, he was written as having a 'no-kill code' (Byrne, Gruenwald runs), but modern portrayals have always shown Cap as being willing to kill if necessary. It's not his first choice, but it's not his last either.

From the words of the great Brubaker himself:

Guys -- Didn't we all have this discussion two years ago, after Cap 1 came out?

Here's the thing, everyone interprets it differently. I look back at the Lee/Kirby and Lee/Steranko Cap runs as the definitive Cap in my mind, and that Cap was a guy who, when he had to, would kill the enemy, in war, and in the modern days.

He's not bloodthirsty, and he tries to avoid injury or death, but he doesn't cry himself to sleep at night when a bad guy who wants to blow up a city ends up dead. He's still a good man, but it's a rough world he lives in. It's part of the burden he carries, honestly, and I think it makes him more interesting.

The only reason why he doesn't kill so often is because a) being enhanced, he rarely has to and b) the shield isn't exactly a lethal weapon. Most of the time, Cap can just KO any mook with his shield, and he rarely has to use lethal force. Heck, in Steranko's run, he was killing HYDRA agents left and right, blew up their base, and then walked off into the sunset.

And during WWII:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: All right thanks. I knew cap killed but I didn't have too many references of him doing it.

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: well that settles it. He killed the tank crew.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

And here's a Post War Kill. From Captain Amercia 321.

Note: Steve is not happy about killing the man...but he didn't hesitate to do so.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

How did this thread turn into a discussion over Captain America's morals on killing?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@lvenger said:

How did this thread turn into a discussion over Captain America's morals on killing?

YOLO.

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnbaby: At the same time he looks like he is about to cry. And he was pushed into a corner to kill and acted on spur of the moment rather than thinking it through. This is a knee jerk reaction rather than intentionally killing someone IMO.

@lvenger said:

YOLO.

Of course, there is no debate for why Terry wins, only ignorant bias posts of child hood favortism. So we got a real debate going on in here.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnbaby: At the same time he looks like he is about to cry. And he was pushed into a corner to kill and acted on spur of the moment rather than thinking it through. This is a knee jerk reaction rather than intentionally killing someone IMO.

@wolverine08 said:

@lvenger said:

YOLO.

Of course, there is no debate for why Terry wins, only ignorant bias posts of child hood favortism. So we got a real debate going on in here.

Yeah....but it shows what his instincts tell him to do. He doesn't have to think about killing.

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnbaby: That is fair enough. this was the best debate in the thread!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#216  Edited By Lvenger

@lvenger said:

YOLO.

Hate that blasted expression with a passion.

@wolverine08 said:

@lvenger said:

YOLO.

True, this was a good debate on Cap's morals.

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Very close IMO.

Edge given to Miles considering that the Venom Strike think isn't something Terry can exactly work around.

Awesome fight.