Public Domain redesign contest #42 - Bombshell

ArdenBelfry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ArdenBelfry

Hey guys, have to admit I had to go look at a list of Public Domain characters and I came across Bombshell.

No Caption Provided

As per the wiki - On the planet, Mars, the Roman god of war, also known as Mars, has grown disgusted with the Nazis, who have turned war into a mindless slaughter. He sends his skilled and courageous son, Dryas (aka Bombshell), who saved Mars and his ministers from being ambushed and slain by the fearful monster, Koro, to Earth, knowing that it is a one-way trip. Bombshell's magical sword won't harm humans, but it will cut through almost anything else. He also possesses an indestructible golden shield. While we are supposed to believe that his father is a Roman god, the story reads as if this Mars is a king of a civilization on Mars.

Thought this gave us a lot to play with. You have the 1930s and 40s clothing, Roman style and Military clothing of WW2.

I hope everyone enjoys and Merry Christmas.

Deadline - Dec 27th

scattered316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By scattered316
No Caption Provided

My entry, I was a bit rushed with the coloring.

Fiesty_Badger6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Fiesty_Badger6
No Caption Provided

took the whole Martian/ Roman/ Son of a God of War to an extreme maybe.

scattered316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fiesty_Badger6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks @scattered316. I initially wanted to give him a helmet that l looked like a cartoon missile. Glad I went another way

scattered316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fiesty_badger6: Do you mean like a conical helmet? Could work with some patterning on it.

Fiesty_Badger6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fiesty_Badger6

@scattered316.When yousay it it sounds alright. I had the whole rocket on his head, the base fins sticking out over his ears and his face poking out the door - thinking about it now - I have no idea why I felt I needed to put a door in a bombshell.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

@fiesty_badger6: Still retains some of the original concept but you've upped it beyond. I like the "Martian" theme by giving him four arms. Nice art and design.

Fiesty_Badger6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks @decept_o. The four arms came about when I was trying to figure out where to put his arms, I couldn't decide between the two on the right. So I drew another one on the left. Lucky accident. I'm also noticing how similar my drawing was to @scattered316's design as well. Unconscious stealing maybe.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh geeze, how did I not hear about this before?

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ARMIV2
No Caption Provided

A quick black & white digital sketch. Don't think I'll have time to color it...

Fiesty_Badger6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great Design @armiv2. The costume and the foreshortening of the arms is great but I think where it falls down is around the legs and feet. I think the calves are a bit wide (def the rear calf) and the thighs are a bit long since they ought to be foreshortened . As it stands it seems like the forward thigh is longer than the front shin even though it's bent toward us and the shin, one would assume, is standing straight up I found a great free PDF book on figure drawing on line that comic professionals recommend . here. https://archive.org/stream/loomis_FIGURE_draw#page/n0/mode/2up

Legs and feet can be real killers and some of the hardest things to draw - I think because most of us never look at other people's legs and feet. Because, I mean... Why would we?

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ARMIV2

Great Design @armiv2. The costume and the foreshortening of the arms is great but I think where it falls down is around the legs and feet. I think the calves are a bit wide (def the rear calf) and the thighs are a bit long since they ought to be foreshortened . As it stands it seems like the forward thigh is longer than the front shin even though it's bent toward us and the shin, one would assume, is standing straight up I found a great free PDF book on figure drawing on line that comic professionals recommend . here. https://archive.org/stream/loomis_FIGURE_draw#page/n0/mode/2up

Legs and feet can be real killers and some of the hardest things to draw - I think because most of us never look at other people's legs and feet. Because, I mean... Why would we?

Yeah, this was a pretty rushed design, so the legs suffered the most.

ArdenBelfry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ArdenBelfry

Really great stuff everybody. I hope everyone had a great Christmas. Here's my sketch of Bombshell, went with a more 40s vibe for her.

No Caption Provided

wildcats25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By wildcats25

I gave this a try

No Caption Provided

Claymore1998

Forum Posts