Awesome Art Picks: Emma Frost, Rocket Raccoon, Black Cat, and More

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Each week we gather up the coolest comic book art you won't see in actual comics. The reason you won't is because artists often draw sketches for fun or commissions and post them on their websites, blogs, and Tumblrs. Some artists even post step-by-step processes or arrange commissions through their sites so be sure to check them out.

Mike Henderson continues to update his Instagram with several new pieces of art.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

New York Comic Con is this coming week. Marcio Takara has posting pre-commissions on his Tumblr.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Mike Mayhew posted some commissions from Edmonton Expo on his Twitter page.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Babs Tarr was at Long Beach Comic Con last week (and will be at NYCC next week). Here's some commissions she posted on her Tumblr. (Don't forget to pick up BATGIRL next week).

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Marcus To posted a Jason Todd commission he did earlier on his Tumblr.

No Caption Provided

Peter Nguyen was also at Long Beach (and participated in the Mystery Art Challenge you'll see below if you missed it earlier this week). He'll also be at NYCC and posted a new print he'll have on his Tumblr.

No Caption Provided

Ray-Anthony Height also took part in the Mystery Art Challenge. Here's some new art he posted on his Instagram.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Daniel HDR is working on commissions for NYCC. He posted some on his Instagram along with some prints he'll have in Artist Alley at P4.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Francesco Francavilla is getting in the spirit of Halloween and posted some new art on his Tumblr.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Kris Anka posted some new sketches on his Tumblr this week.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Skottie Young posted more Daily Sketches that he later put up for sale on his website.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Mike Deodato Jr posted more original art on his Tumblr he's been working on. Emma was colored by David Ocampo.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Russell Dauterman also posted an Emma pic on his Tumblr. His new Thor debut started this week as well.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Dustin Nguyen some new sketches on his Tumblr. Yes, that is Power Pack.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Kevin Wada posted some new art on his Tumblr this week.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Agnes Garbowska is getting ready for NYCC. She posted some new art on her Tumblr and also has information on how you could win a commission. She also posted a pic of Elsa from Frozen that she donated to the charity art auction to benefit St. Jude's Children Research Hospital.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Tom Raney was at Wizard World Nashville and posted some new art on his Twitter.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Reilly Brown posted a Colossus commission that was colored by Jeremy Colwell on his Tumblr.

No Caption Provided

Robert Atkins posted a Hawkeye pic and the NYCC exclusive cover to G.I. JOE #1 on his blog.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Joel Gomez was also at Long Beach. Here's some sketches he posted on his Tumblr.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Here's some new sketches Yildiray Cinar posted on his Instagram.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Todd Nauck also did the Mystery Art Challenge at Long Beach. Here's some commissions he posted on his Tumblr along with Pam 2: The Winter Pam as seen HERE.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Last week we saw a few Spider-Gwen sketches. She was the focus on the Mystery Art Challenge. The artists that took the challenge was Peter Nguyen, Derek Fridolfs, Brian Buccellato, Chris Burnham, Joel Gomez, Ray-Anthony Height, and Todd Nauck.

Here's the video if you missed it.

Here's scans of the art.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

That's it for this week. With NYCC, we'll do our best to post another installment. We'll also try to make another Mystery Art Challenge happen.

Karazyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@g_man

i challenge you to come up with an art pick without batman, joker, storm, harley quinn, emma frost and supergirl..................... they're in pretty much every single selection of picks............. give some love and exposure to characters you had like once in 2 years on that list

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Great collection this week! I saw a bunch of these already on Tumblr, but a lot of them were new for me. Thanks for rounding these up @g_man!

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Never heard of Deodato Jr before, but dat batgirl...damn!

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Barbara, you're suit is really g***amn tight!

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Can't get enough of Mike Henderson's stuff. He cranks them out like crazy and does a lot of Star Wars and non-big two stuff.

Also I think I've said this plenty too but I love Todd Nauck's Spider-Man. His baby Groot was pretty cool too.

Some other good stuff here but they were my favourites.

Gotta say, Deodato's stuff there is ridiculous. And not in a good way.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezame: you do realize I have no control what the artists post on their pages, right? And I do see some characters here that haven't been posted here or haven't been posted in a while. I'm not really clear what the problem you have with these posts.

greenlucario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@dngn4774 said:

Then you've been missing out :) Every character he draws is awesome!

Karazyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man said:

@mezame: you do realize I have no control what the artists post on their pages, right? And I do see some characters here that haven't been posted here or haven't been posted in a while. I'm not really clear what the problem you have with these posts.

i don't have a problem with your posts ............. as long as i'm concerned you can post whatever you like, but am i right in the assumption that you're picking the artworks you want to showcase? i just stated that it's a little bit boring seeing artworks from the same characters over and over again.............. but i don't even know how exactly you approach the picking of the artworks, so who am i to talk, right?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezame: I have a list of the artists' blogs and Tumblrs. I look for updated sketches that aren't from comics they're working on. I do "post whatever" I like. No one's telling me what to post. You're the first that has expressed concern. I'm can't tell the artists to draw more obscure characters. A lot of what they post are commissions, characters people ask them to draw. If you look at any of the artists' Tumblrs, etc, that I always link to, you see I pretty much post all the new stuff they've posted in the week. But when was the last time I posted Legion characters? Bossk? Motoko Kusanagi? Mon-El? POWER PACK? So apologies if you're bored with these posts. It's usually the most popular post of the week around here.

dcfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not a huge fan of Kris Anka but props where it's due, that Thor piece looks pretty good.

Karazyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Karazyn

@g_man: i'm not bored by the artworks per say........... i should have went more in-depth on that topic, i guess............ i'm quite into art and if you ask me art has to tell a story............ some of the pictures you post look like they're telling a story and some of the pictures are just pictures of characters, which is not appealing to me, myself and i....... and if these pictures end up having the same popular characters over and over again, who everyone likes and therefore always draws it ends up 'bothering' me even more............ i like the stuff you're doing and some of your picks include true gems, but many pictures are not telling a story, which in my opinion is important........ you and everyone else might think otherwise........ but you also might viewing it with different eyes now..........

let me post few of the artpicks i would come up with and i guess that they will be pretty self-explanatory and they will tell a story, which captures the reader for longer....... it's not a simple drawing of batman then, but it's something you look at and realize that there is quite a lot going on there actually

Nebezial

No Caption Provided

Jamga

No Caption Provided

Guinnessyde

No Caption Provided

Jeff Stokely

No Caption Provided

you know what they say: a picture says more than a thousand words.......... but take all of this lightly........... i generally do like your artpicks quite a lot

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774 said:

This guy has some of the best lighting/shading in comics that I have seen in a while. Like the Comic Art equivalent of Rembrant.

snarkybits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

G-man bringing the goods!

Deodato Jr. is so amazing!

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, that would be a battle, Scarlett and Lady Punisher. Great selection, as always, love it.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Uh-oh. Skeletor has the Tesseract! We're doomed!

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

movieartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@dngn4774 said:

really? lol what stone have you been living under? (joking)

he has been on wonder woman, thor, hulk, avengers, secret avengers, 2 different incarnations of new avengers, dark avengers, thunderbolts, amazing spiderman, the event original sin.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

The pumpkin spice one is pretty great.

travmadison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By travmadison

@mezame: Got a better one, try an art picks, without the SAME fricking artists each and every week...kinda getting tired of seeing the same artist, draw the same characters just in different views of them

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Batgirl is nood. Deodato is a spectacular artist, but yeah, she's nekkid.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774 said:

he has been on wonder woman, thor, hulk, avengers, secret avengers, 2 different incarnations of new avengers, dark avengers, thunderbolts, amazing spiderman, the event original sin.

I read mostly dc stuff and never go into WW. Still, nice to know that such a signature style exists. Very beautiful stuff!

endlessxshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got sketches from Gabrield Hardman, Garry Brown, and Andrew Robinson last week at LBCC.

Avatar image for manhunter_prime
Manhunter_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deodato Jr's Emma is just terrifying.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

How is Gwen so mainstream all of a sudden?!!

Also.....

That kevlar has a preety specific boob shape........

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is Gwen so mainstream all of a sudden?!!

I'm pretty sure the movies had something to do with it.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator
PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

@punyparker: It happens all the time, doesn't it?

I dont know if i told you,but i hate Gwen,and i really dont understand how "Spider-Gwen" became so popular all of a sudden,and MJ/Felicia are dissapeared or written COMPELETELY out of character.....

And i liked Emma Stone,cuz her "Gwen" was Ultimate Mary Jane,with good grades..........

But i remember you dont read much Spider-Man,so you have zero clue on what i'm talking about. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: Oh yeah, now I remember you saying you didn't like her.

TheTrueRedKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mike Henderson

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HushoftheWind
No Caption Provided

I remember making a joke about these 2 being DC's new power couple b/c their respected books are constantly dominating the sales charts each month. So this pic so apropo right now lol

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774:

@movieartman said:
@dngn4774 said:

I read mostly dc stuff and never go into WW. Still, nice to know that such a signature style exists. Very beautiful stuff!

It was a great run when he was doing pencils for WW's book. See if you can pick it up in TPB form.

But yeah, Deodato is off the chain this week. Batgirl....DAMN!!!

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

Precious art.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ArtisticNeedham
No Caption Provided

SPIDERMAN - PAT OLLIFFE, BLACK CAT - RON FRENZ, SILVER SABLE - ALEX SAVIUK, MAY PARKER IN SPIDEY COSTUME - DAMION SCOTT, PUNISHER - SCOTTIE YOUNG, SCARLET SPIDER - MIKE MANLEY, VENOM - ANDY MACDONALD, LIZARD - DECEC AUCOIN/DONAVON, SCORPION - DAN JURGENS, GREEN GOBLIN - CULLY HAMNER, GWEN - PHIL NOTO, VULTURE - MIKE WIERINGO, PETER PARKER IN BLACK SPIDERY SUIT - MARK BROOKS, RHINO - CRIAG ROUSSEAU, DOC OCK - ERIK LARSEN, SANDMAN - JIM CALIFORE, KRAVEN - JOHN ROMITA JR, KINGPIN - STANFORD GREENE, CARNAGE - MARK BAGLEY, ELECTRO - ALE GARZA, MYSTERIO - RON GARNEY, MARY JANE - AMANDA CONNER, FANCY DAN,OX, and MONTANA - SCOTT MCDANIEL, SHOCKER - CASEY JONES, TARANTULA - MIKE DEODATO, JACKEL- NEIL VOKES, JUGGERNAUT - KERON GRANT, MOLTEN MAN - ROBERT ATKINS, HAMMERHEAD - ANDY KUHN, MORBIUS - CLAYTON HENRY, ELECTRA - SEAN CHEN, BULLSEYE - TOM HODGES, SPIDERMAN 2099 - TOM RANEY, BLACK WIDOW - KELLY YATES, SPIDER-MAN CIVIL WARS - ERIC CANETE, HYDROMAN - MIKE NORTON, DR DOOM - ED MCGUINESS, TOMBSTONE - JASON PEARSON, HOBGOBLIN - TOM LYLE, PROWLER - RICH CASE, MAN-WOLF - GEORGES JEANTY, PUMA - AL BIGLEY, KAINE - SUNNY LEE, JACK O'LANTERN - CHRIS SPROUSE, SPIDEY SLAYERS - NORM BREYFOGLE!

No Caption Provided

Spider-Man jam

various artists / McLeod

('06)

collection of Doug Resnick

AwesomestPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice.

Kuyamu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Kuyamu

that Todd Nauck Nightcrawler with the necklace reminds me of Kurt as Dean Winchester from Supernatural.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

@mezame said:

@g_man: i'm not bored by the artworks per say........... i should have went more in-depth on that topic, i guess............ i'm quite into art and if you ask me art has to tell a story............ some of the pictures you post look like they're telling a story and some of the pictures are just pictures of characters, which is not appealing to me, myself and i....... and if these pictures end up having the same popular characters over and over again, who everyone likes and therefore always draws it ends up 'bothering' me even more............ i like the stuff you're doing and some of your picks include true gems, but many pictures are not telling a story, which in my opinion is important........ you and everyone else might think otherwise........ but you also might viewing it with different eyes now..........

let me post few of the artpicks i would come up with and i guess that they will be pretty self-explanatory and they will tell a story, which captures the reader for longer....... it's not a simple drawing of batman then, but it's something you look at and realize that there is quite a lot going on there actually

Nebezial

No Caption Provided

Jamga

No Caption Provided

Guinnessyde

No Caption Provided

Jeff Stokely

No Caption Provided

you know what they say: a picture says more than a thousand words.......... but take all of this lightly........... i generally do like your artpicks quite a lot

Absolutely agree with this.

MK5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#39  Edited By MK5

I like seeing what artists can do in a short time frame like for warm-ups and commissions.

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Cutter

Niiice. I like them all...pretty amazing...Magneto is my favorite :)

fiodestromus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774 said:

@greenlucario said:

@dngn4774 said:

This guy has some of the best lighting/shading in comics that I have seen in a while. Like the Comic Art equivalent of Rembrant.

I have only heard of his name

But i am going to put him in my faves next to Sejic and Ross

fiodestromus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been off my CV game I've probably missed like 3 of these.