2099 #29 (formerly DC 2099 - now open to all publishers)

• 62 results
LeeThomasART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LeeThomasART

I think the title explains it. Basically I'm just removing the restriction on characters we can choose from. Instead of just DC characters, we will now be able to choose characters for the contest from all comic publishers (just like the other contests are set up).

Please tell me you are all familiar with this character...

Spider Jerusalem

Deadline Feb 21 @ 8pm EST

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Decept-O

@LeeThomasART: When user Caligula created the "DC 2099" contest it was for the intent of doing futuristic or "2099" versions of DC characters. DC DOES have a few imprints like Vertigo and Wildstorm in its stable now and I think Spider Jerusalem is a Vertigo character unless I am mistaken.

However, I am going to be the "bad guy" yet again---and state that contests like the Artist Showoff Showdown and the Battle Contests are pretty much open reign for any characters from any publishers. It has been an understanding the DC 2099 contest is for DC and DC related characters. Don't think you can just announce an immediate change like that. If you want, maybe you can suggest something via a voting thread?

Please don't think me a jerk or being an ass just giving input. EDIT: A future version featuring Marvel characters as a contest was tried awhile ago but didn't go through. Just saying perhaps a voting thread would be the democratic way to do this instead.

Regardless interesting choice of character.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Decoy Elite

Yeah, Marvel 1 Million didn't last sadly.

LeeThomasART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LeeThomasART

@Decept-O: No worries, you did the right thing, people need to stand up and address what they think might be wrong. Ya, I understand that. It was (breifly) discussed in the last voting thread. I don't understand the reason for bottle necking the options. There should be a 2099 contest for all publishers then, right? I figured that I'd open it up and if disapproved then I'd change it. Until then I'll leave it open(Especially since you said that the character I chose works anyways) and whoever takes over from here can do whatever they want I suppose.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

@LeeThomasART: Decept-O is right…you can't just spontaneously change a contest. You do need to get feedback from other artists, and probably an OK from Shatterstar before anything like that happens.

This particular contest can keep going on because Transmetropolitan IS from a DC imprint, but in general this is still a DC 2099 contest.

LeeThomasART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LeeThomasART

@Icarusflies said:

@LeeThomasART: Decept-O is right…you can't just spontaneously change a contest. You do need to get feedback from other artists, and probably an OK from Shatterstar before anything like that happens.

This particular contest can keep going on because Transmetropolitan IS from a DC imprint, but in general this is still a DC 2099 contest.

Fair enough. Everyone wins.

LeeThomasART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LeeThomasART

@Caligula Sorry if any of this offended you.

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By tonis

@LeeThomasART: actually I think it's not a bad idea to extend the availability of characters on this one. Part of the reason the Marvel 1 Million didn't last long is because it wasn't pinned and easier to see and eventually there was a winner who just let it float dead in the water and didn't continue with another contest.

It's not easy for a new contest to get off the ground and until it has 10 consecutive themes it doesn't get pinned like the rest.

For this particular contest the real jist is a futuristic version of a character and although it may have started as a DC only thing, there are TONS of characters that would work great here. There really is no reason to continue just using DC, eventually it's gonna reach a point where there's nothing left worth choosing or it'll be characters no ones interested in doing.

It's certainly better to open up the themes and try to keep this contest fresh rather than sticking to some unnecessary restrictions that will undoubtedly hit a stale point.

LeeThomasART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LeeThomasART

@tonis: Thanks.

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tonis

@LeeThomasART: I think it's the right move, it's either that or watch the contest go down the crapper as there's no more good choices.

Sames gonna happen with the other contests if there's no reset eventually. That whole can't do something that was already done really should get limited to the last 12 months or something. There's TONS of killer contests that they had when none of these artists were on vine, including myself, that would be great to do again.

It sucks not being able to pick something cool just because it was done 3 years ago.

maxicere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By maxicere

I have 2 ideas for a contest.

- Marvel Earth 2, an evil version of Marvel superheros from a paralel world.

- At the same time, I really like another idea: Marvel Golden Age. A Golden Age retro style for Marvel characters who didn't exist in the Golden Age (like Spiderman, Hulk, Ironman, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Hawkeye, Wolverine, etc. Not Captain America, Human Torch or Namor)

Excuse me, I know this place isn't the place to discuss this. I second the idea of don't change DC 2099.

raamesirote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By raamesirote

@maxicere: I really like those ideas, Marvel Earth 2 seems particularly cool.

Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By Raven0207

I'm keeping my nose out of the contest due to too much work on my plate as it is but if everyone wants to hear my 2 cents. I think the opening 2099 to all publishers is a good idea. It keeps everyone on their toes cause you don't know from one contest to the next who you are going to be doing and which feel to give them. I mean I have a ton of new ideas that could flourish under this. But its not my call !

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Decoy Elite

Anyone got any ideas. design wise Spider really isn't a character who lends himself to a future version drawing, or at least not one I can think of.

Then again I've never read the comic he's from...>.>

For the record I'm cool with this being opened to other publishers. Also like some of the other ideas being bounced around.

LeeThomasART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LeeThomasART

@Decoy Elite said:

Anyone got any ideas. design wise Spider really isn't a character who lends himself to a future version drawing, or at least not one I can think of.

Then again I've never read the comic he's from...>.>

For the record I'm cool with this being opened to other publishers. Also like some of the other ideas being bounced around.

Do yourself a huge favor and pick up transmetropolitan. It's like if Hunter S. Thompson was born in a cyberpunk future. It's what got me so much into Warren Ellis' work. The ideas that I'm working with right now involve his camera glasses implanted onto his face and controlled directly by his brain, as well as automatic insulin injectors all over his body that inject stimulants psychadelics etc, instead. I'll definitely have to include something for him to do all of his writing on... Thanks for the support on opening up the contest.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

@Icarusflies said:

If artists come to a consensus on a contest's rules or criteria or whatever they don't necessarily need my approval. If everyone wanted to open this up to all publishers I wouldn't be opposed but yea, needs a vote of some sort.

That said, I'd think a vertigo character would count toward a DC contest.

Avatar image for the_razors_edge
The_razors_edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_razors_edge

Yeah I'd vote to open up 2099 to all. That said I like the other Ideas that were posted too. If I can find time I'm throw something in for this one.
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ssejllenrad

Yeah I think 2099 for all is a good idea too...

I have one question... Where the hell is Caligula?

spawndon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By spawndon

Caligula is watching Caligula.

Whatever, I think that expanding 2099 to all publishers would be a great idea, cause after a while, you're gonna run out of good characters from DC.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

@ssejllenrad said:

Caligula is no longer on the site.

Avatar image for ramsillustrations
RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Icarusflies:

I thought he came back not too long ago, he said he wouldn't be around as much because he became an editor for Newline Cinema. This was only a few weeks ago. Did he have issues again? I thought they where resolved. Not prying, just generalizing...

Never-mind, I guess he lost it again, just read on his profile his altercations...

pedromalone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pedromalone

Okay I have to agree that the 2099 or future versions for all characters sounds good. I do agree that if you stuck to DC characters eventualy you will run out of ones that people think are intresting or deserving of future make overs. Also so far the contest has gone through 29 characters already which is something. There are definately more characters in DC though. Yet I personaly would like to see future versions of a lot of non-dc characters. I do think the idea of Marvel Earth 2 would be good, (where evil is good and good is evil), and maybe even an ongoing genderbend contest too.

LeeThomasART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LeeThomasART

@Icarusflies said:

@ssejllenrad said:

Caligula is no longer on the site.

Avatar image for ramsillustrations
RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@LeeThomasART:

there, there...it will b ok. I'm sure of it! :P

LeeThomasART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LeeThomasART

@aztek_the_lost said:

Am I the only one who finds it ironic to depict Spider Jerusalem in 2099? That's like "what would Spider have looked like if he was born a few hundred years ago?" and thus, he'd look less-futuristic.

True, Spider Jerusalem is from a more futuristic time than we are, but it is never said what year it all actually happens. Spider Jerusalem 2099 isn't 100% literal...If we, in the present are, lets say 20 years behind the times that Spider would have lived in, then just make him 20 years MORE futuristic than you would if the story took place in the present. Make sense?

maxicere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By maxicere

I never read something from this character, I don't know him. But I will try to do something in this days, first all, I will read and know him

payno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By payno

I have to admit that I don't know much about Spider Jerusalem, but as aztek_the_lost  pointed out - Transmetropolitan is already set in the future (the 23rd century I think, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) so I decided to depict the 2099 version of the character as a kid.

No Caption Provided
LeeThomasART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LeeThomasART

@payno: Nice! Their future is looking a lot cleaner and friendlier. I guess I should take a stab at starting mine...

LeeThomasART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LeeThomasART

Here's what I've got so far...(I should note that I'm not using references of any kind for any of these sketches)

No Caption Provided
Column HeadColumn HeadColumn HeadColumn Head
Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By Om1kron

@LeeThomasART said:

@Icarusflies said:

And this is the reason why I don't participate in these contests anymore... Everyone is so closed minded or so fast to start crying and complaining. Very cool choice on the character though.

LeeThomasART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LeeThomasART

@Om1kron said:

@LeeThomasART said:

@Icarusflies said:

And this is the reason why I don't participate in these contests anymore... Everyone is so closed minded or so fast to start crying and complaining. Very cool choice on the character though.

Thanks. I'd really like to see more of your art though.

LeeThomasART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LeeThomasART

Not done yet, but I thought that I'd try and keep it going...

No Caption Provided
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By tonis

@LeeThomasART: wow, that's coming out spectacular. It's got a very creepy techno feel indeed :)

LeeThomasART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LeeThomasART
No Caption Provided
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#36  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@LeeThomasART: That ^^^ is funking awesome 
LeeThomasART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LeeThomasART

@spiderbat87: Thanks!

raamesirote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By raamesirote

@LeeThomasART: cool

LeeThomasART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By LeeThomasART

@Rockfall: Thank you. Are you working on one(or do you think you will)?

raamesirote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By raamesirote

@LeeThomasART: no, i dont know the character enough

LeeThomasART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LeeThomasART

@Rockfall said:

Too bad. You should really give 'Transmetropolitan' a read. You really can't go wrong with Warren Ellis or a cyberpunk dystopian future version of Hunter S. Thompson.

Raptorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Raptorus

@LeeThomasART said:

@Rockfall said:

Too bad. You should really give 'Transmetropolitan' a read. You really can't go wrong with Warren Ellis or a cyberpunk dystopian future version of Hunter S. Thompson.

Oh, you can very much so can. *Shakes fist at Freakangels*

LeeThomasART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By LeeThomasART

I'll be posting a poll with the voting thread on Tuesday on whether or not the contest should be opened to all publishers or remain restricted to DC. Hopefully we get some more participants by then. The actual voting will be done in the traditional manner where you post your vote so that it doesn't get buried like a lot of the poll voting threads unfortunately do. I'd also like to say that you don't need to be hugely familiar with the character or even to have read the comic to participate in this contest. Anything you need to know can be found on comicvine HERE. So now there is nothing to stop you (cough cough

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By tonis

@LeeThomasART: your the second person to fault polls as the reason for a voting thread getting buried and I gotta say it's because they're not getting pinned by a mod, not cause they're polls. There's no difference between a regular thread and a poll other than one keeps count of something.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Decoy Elite

@tonis said:

@LeeThomasART: your the second person to fault polls as the reason for a voting thread getting buried and I gotta say it's because they're not getting pinned by a mod, not cause they're polls. There's no difference between a regular thread and a poll other than one keeps count of something.

Well people are simply more likely to post in a thread where they must post to vote so in context they do get different responses.

It seems polls get more votes though(due to how easy it is to vote I guess), but they can drop if you don't keep a sharp eye.

Personally I think it's a risk vs reward thing, and polls are worth it, but I know some like to see who votes for them and such, although those who give reasons when normally voting will probably do so with a poll as well.

LeeThomasART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LeeThomasART

@tonis: I actually prefer the anonymity of polling threads and think that it provides the opportunity for more honest voting. However, posting each vote is currently the best option specifically because of how quickly they rise to the top, otherwise, I'd choose polling threads each time and use the comments section for comments (only counting votes made in the poll).

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By tonis

@LeeThomasART: they shouldn't have to rise to the top, they're supposed to get pinned so they can't get lost in the shuffle.

That's what mods are for ;)

I chose to go the poll route when I got sick of trying to figure out whether people who were quoting others meant that as their vote or for some other reason. There's no confusion with this way and the threads still there for people to post either way.

Sometimes I like to publicly state my vote and reason for choice but other times I prefer the ability to not do so as I don't want one artist to think I didn't like their piece because I chose another. It's nice to at least have the option.

LeeThomasART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By LeeThomasART

@tonis said:

@LeeThomasART: they shouldn't have to rise to the top, they're supposed to get pinned so they can't get lost in the shuffle.

That's what mods are for ;)

I chose to go the poll route when I got sick of trying to figure out whether people who were quoting others meant that as their vote or for some other reason. There's no confusion with this way and the threads still there for people to post either way.

Sometimes I like to publicly state my vote and reason for choice but other times I prefer the ability to not do so as I don't want one artist to think I didn't like their piece because I chose another. It's nice to at least have the option.

I completely agree. It would be great if there was a box that you could check when creating a thread that flagged it as a voting thread so that the mods could find it easier to pin it. Or if each vote in the poll bumped the thread just like a post would.

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By tonis

@LeeThomasART: that would be a very useful flag feature. Without it though our only real option is to let Shatterstar, Icarus, and Sora know when a new ones up and they're usually pretty quick to take care of it.

I also would like it if the thread bumped when a new vote is entered but it's not as big a deal if it's pinned.

LeeThomasART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By LeeThomasART

@tonis: Are you going to join this contest?