Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Question of the Week VOTING: Favorite Batman Replacement

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Question of the Week VOTING: Favorite Batman Replacement (391 votes)

Damian Wayne 8%
    Dick Grayson 45%
    Jason Todd 7%
    Jean-Paul Valley 6%
    Terry McGinnis 30%
    Tim Drake 3%

*Want to vote but you don't have an account? Well, what are you waiting for?! Signing up is beyond simple. CLICK HERE to register and then you'll be able to vote in all of our polls and join the countless discussions. Go on, make an account!*

It's Batman's 75th anniversary and we all -- okay, most of us -- love seeing Bruce Wayne as the Dark Knight, but every now and then, Wayne can't wear the cowl and someone else needs to step into his intimidating boots. Whether it's suffering a major injury, "dying" or getting too old for crime fighting, there have been multiple times where other characters have assumed the mantle and showed the world what their version of the Caped Crusader is like.

Six options immediately come to mind: Jean-Paul Valley, Jason Todd, Dick Grayson, Damian Wayne, Tim Drake, and Terry McGinnis. Some obviously had much more time to wear cowl than others did, but each brought different changes to the iconic costume and revealed how they act as the famous character. This week, we want to know which Batman replacement is your favorite!

From left to right: Jean-Paul Valley, Jason Todd, Dick Grayson, Damian Wayne, Tim Drake, Terry McGinnis

Do you want to re-read their appearances as Batman or give this some extra thought before voting? Well, there's no need to rush because the poll will stay open until Thursday morning (ET). That's more than enough time to think this through and pick a character, isn't it?

After you've sided with one of these choices, go on and tell the world why you think they're the coolest Batman replacement. Is it because of changes to the attire? The different personality and approach they bring to the table? All of the above? Get your elaboration on in the comments section and, if your post is solid enough, there's a chance we'll feature it in the results article. So, who will it be, Viners?

Be sure to check the homepage on Thursday for the results and more! Do you have a great idea for a future edition of the Question of the Week? If so, feel free to share it below or via Twitter.

Want to keep celebrating our latest Character of the Month? Well, he's currently fighting Shredder (click here to vote) and we posted his Best Covers.

• 
    micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By micah007123

Terry McGinnis all the way.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Grayson is the only one that makes sense. In a world where characters actually age and retire, he would be the only reasonable substitute for Bruce.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By WarDishy_

My heart says Terry McGinis, but I think Dick Grayson at least bears mentioning. Black Mirror was a blast. Can't remember how he was in Morrison's Batman and Robin.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@razzatazz said:

Grayson is the only one that makes sense. In a world where characters actually age and retire, he would be the only reasonable substitute for Bruce.

Well, we're asking who your favorite is, not who you think is best for the job. But if that makes him your favorite, then so be it!

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah said:

I'm with you, man. Dick Grayson would be number two.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Damian.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By tparks

Terry McGinnis for me. Batman Beyond could have been just a cheap way to mix things up, but it was so well done. Terry has what it takes to be Batman, so you don't feel like the cowl is being handed over to someone undeserving, but Terry is also so much different as a character then Bruce so it's not just Batman in the near-future. I really like the way this is done, and I really like that Bruce was around to keep the series grounded with the classic.

The digital comic is pretty good too.

Chronicjihad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Chronicjihad
    @omnicrono said:

@micah said:

I'm with you, man. Dick Grayson would be number two.

Same here. Dick Grayson is an amazing Batman replacement, but Terry really takes the cake. Remember people, don't vote on your favorite, vote on the better Batman replacement.

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that Damian is the best choice, because even though Dick Grayson is more experienced and less brutal, Dick isn't Batman, he's Nightwing. He can't ever truly be Batman, because he would always look up to Bruce and if he failed, he would believe it was because he wasn't good enough. Anyways, Dick has fallen in love at least twice and possibly more times. Batman has to be alone in the end, and Dick loves people too much. Damian on the other hand is willing to make the ultimate sacrifice, he is willing to make a deal with the devil to protect Gotham. He will kill, he will go beyond the walls of ethics, which makes him a far more terrifying Batman.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grayson

burningzeroX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cast my vote for Grayson. Grayson is the best replacement but people are right, he is not Batman, he is Nightwing and that's what makes him a great replacement. I say this because to me Terry is not a replacement Batman, he is a successor, he is Batman. That being being said, as much as I like Terry, I still think Grayson > Terry.

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All hail Morrison's Batman and Robin and Snyder's Black Mirror.

Jakkoaks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Terry McGinnis batman beyond shows how he earned the mantel and besides all the other robins have established their own identities eg Nightwing & Red Hood

mightypug78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jean paul valley for me, just looked so cool to me as a kid.

BruceWayne19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seeing the votes almost no one has read knightfall, Jean might have been the biggest badass of all the batmans

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 the_stegman  Moderator

Grayson. I kinda liked easy going Batman and serious Robin (Damian) it was a good switch up.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Damian's at only 8%? Blasphemy!

TheTrollDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely Terry, it really saddens me that Dick is currently leading the poll, as he's only my 3rd choice after Terry and Jean-Paul.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Tim Drake is the only one who should ever be Batman other than Bruce.

fil123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had to go damian wayne, he was just so badass in those one shot grant morrison books (even though he mightve failed the city)

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By Overlander

Tough choice. Grayson did a great job. Jean-Paul Valley didn't last long enough, imo. But I ended up voting for T-Mc.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
    YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

DON'T BE A DICK.

BE A DAMIAN.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#23  Edited By RazzaTazz

@k4tzm4n said:

@razzatazz said:

Well, we're asking who your favorite is, not who you think is best for the job. But if that makes him your favorite, then so be it!

When it comes to Batman, the perfect human, best has to equal favourite otherwise it doesn't do the character justice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jean Paul valley did the best job. He beat pretty much every batman villain including bane who had just broken Batman's back, and is vastly physically superior to anyone here.

But we all know dick is going to win because he's dick grayson

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Grayson, easily.

karasu_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By karasu_

They're all great except Tim.

Jason Todd's Batman was only cool on earth-15 but his costume in battle for the cowl was really awesome. Almost voted for Terry but he is a Batman all on his own while everyone else is just a replacement..

Nightwing did a really good job being batman, definitely not as dark but he was fresh and did it with style. He made it seem like being Batman was the funnest thing in the world!

kleo_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dick Grayson

Benk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like terry because he's different enough from Bruce to do his own thing, but still honor's the mantel of batman.

Avatar image for nightwing_grayson
    Nightwing_Grayson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think to answer this question you have to answer "what does Batman (Bruce Wayne) stand for?" For me that's justice obviously (which most of these characters follow...albeit some rather more twistedly), but there are also things like the no killing policy which I think rules out Paul Valley/Jason Todd/ Damien Wayne AND Tim Drake (I know there have been a few different occasions that Tim has worn it and he's not bad in them all but the one that sticks out is in Titans Tomorrow as it's his seemingly longest time as replacing Bruce). That leaves Terry and Dick, I think an argument could be made for either of these being the greater Batman replacement, Terry is very similar to Bruce personality wise - headstrong and stubborn as well as more serious (he is a clone right?) but Dick's time as Batman was really excellent and he truly showed he had what it takes to wear the mantle. I think for me the fact that he spent a long time as Batman and showed a lot of professionalism just edges it for me over the less experienced Terry who I think still relies quite a bit on his tech and is more vulnerable in combat, Dick has been brought up by Bruce for years to work out out how to analyse and beat his opponents as well as installing a set of ideals in him while Terry hasn't had nearly as long so for these reasons I'm going Dick.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i didnt vote for dick, solely because i dont think he ever liked being batman and saw it as a cage. Honestly, i think he whined too much about being batman. (BUT i still loved him there. No hate. Terry is slightly higher in that regards)

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think to answer this question you have to answer "what does Batman (Bruce Wayne) stand for?" For me that's justice obviously (which most of these characters follow...albeit some rather more twistedly), but there are also things like the no killing policy which I think rules out Paul Valley/Jason Todd/ Damien Wayne AND Tim Drake (I know there have been a few different occasions that Tim has worn it and he's not bad in them all but the one that sticks out is in Titans Tomorrow as it's his seemingly longest time as replacing Bruce). That leaves Terry and Dick, I think an argument could be made for either of these being the greater Batman replacement, Terry is very similar to Bruce personality wise - headstrong and stubborn as well as more serious (he is a clone right?) but Dick's time as Batman was really excellent and he truly showed he had what it takes to wear the mantle. I think for me the fact that he spent a long time as Batman and showed a lot of professionalism just edges it for me over the less experienced Terry who I think still relies quite a bit on his tech and is more vulnerable in combat, Dick has been brought up by Bruce for years to work out out how to analyse and beat his opponents as well as installing a set of ideals in him while Terry hasn't had nearly as long so for these reasons I'm going Dick.

He's not a clone.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mezmero

It feels like Terry gets sort of an unfair advantage simply because he had old man Bruce in his ear to help build him into a believable Batman. Say what you want about the other Batmen they had to kind of come into their own as heroes and crime fighters than Terry it seems. I don't know enough about the full series runs of the other guys so I'm just going to abstain.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezmero said:

It feels like Terry gets sort of an unfair advantage simply because he had old man Bruce in his ear to help build him into a believable Batman. Say what you want about the other Batmen they had to kind of come into their own as heroes and crime fighters than Terry it seems. I don't know enough about the full series runs of the other guys so I'm just going to abstain.

He also did what no other Batman or Robin could do and he also did it without Old Bruce's aid. He unnerved the Joker and beat him at his own mind games.

Loading Video...

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#34 frozen  Moderator

Terry, though Damian is close.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is difficult decision I grew up watching Batman Beyond but liked Dick in Black Mirror and B&R.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Terry McGinnis. Dick Grayson is my favorite character on the list, but I prefer him as Nightwing rather than Batman. Perhaps it was because we knew Bruce was going to take up the cowl again and it wasn't permanent, seemed to cheapen it despite it being incredible fun.

Terry however was Bruce's replacement in the future. Period. There was no Bruce coming back, at least no permanently. Plus Terry is a fantastic character in his own right. Terry's story is a bit like a 'what if Bruce Wayne took Peter Parker under his wing', since Terry's story shares many similarities to Peter's (at least in my eyes).

Because Terry is the only one we knew was never eventually going to hand the cowl back to Bruce, I have to go with Terry.

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Terry McGinnis is the replacement I first encountered when I was a boy watching the Batman Beyond series so for a small part of it I am picking him for nostalgia purposes. However, the primary reason that I pick him is that unlike the rest, with the exception of Rick Grayson, he embodies what makes Batman who he is: the no killing, the intelligence, the gadgets, and the unstoppable will.

Avatar image for nightwing_grayson
    Nightwing_Grayson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: you're right, half of his DNA was overwritten to be the same as Bruce, while his parents were chosen as being phychologically a match to Bruce's parents, close but not quite a clone!

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By micah007123

@nightwing_grayson said:

@micah: you're right, half of his DNA was overwritten to be the same as Bruce, while his parents were chosen as being phychologically a match to Bruce's parents, close but not quite a clone!

Yep, to me the term "In vitro fertilization" comes to mind. With Bruce being the donor of sorts.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damian or Terry

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#41  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

TERRY! TERRY! TERRY!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By entropy_aegis

This was tough for me but I went with Grayson.

Leafx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, good question this week. The only right answer is Terry McGuinness. He IS the true heir to batman, he's the only one who in continuity in the future we KNOW is batman. all the others in the list have been A batman but Terry is the only one on the list who IS batman and always will be. That's who he is. Coupled with the fact that he is practically a clone of Bruce Wayne (go watch Justice league unlimited: epilogue), he's the only one who will always be batman, no matter how many times the others may wear the cowl, after Bruce it will always belong to terry.

Avatar image for the_thaumaturge
    The_Thaumaturge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was cool in Blackest Night, when Dick was a more jokey Batman and Damian was a brooding Robin - switched roles!

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark_Stranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm gotta go with Terry on this.

Dick isn't/wasn't bad, though I think he's better off continuing his own way as Nightwing or whichever role in life he walks, rather than falling back into the shadow of Bruce as Batman.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damian getting shafted.

Brione

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grayson wins this easily. Terry is cool and Damian is a bad ass (possible) future Batman, but only Dick was close to being as good of a Batman as Bruce.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason Todd just because that armor he wore was beyond bada$$

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I prefer Grayson in the Butt hugging Nightwing outfit

I vote Jean-Paul. Tacky outfits aside. I do enjoy his character. the Knight of Justice, not the depressed Rich guy of Justice

: P

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.