Its time to Nut up or Shut up, my Zombieland review!

Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio

GO see it now or I shall eat your brrrraaiiinnnssss

Now before you continue to read this review i want to tell you something up front. I am one of the biggest Zombie movie fans around... I love em adore em... gimme some loud groaning and moaning combined with excessive bodily fluids and just a hint of blood and guts im in seventh heaven. Now add some bad a** dude, a hot chicka a nerd and a kid i would be proud to call my own and BAM we have a winner!! 

This fantastic film begins in the middle of all the action, the virus is rampant and millions are dead, our hero begins by telling us about his RULES in Zombieland, how to survive in this chaotic world, we are immediately given the impression that this is his life, he has been at it for some time.   This provided the audience with an immediate in to the story, there need be no build up, no evil corporation creating Zombie virus scan clone things.. just right.. Zombies are here and we need to survive! Brilliant! This concept has of course been done before we have seen the zombie king himself ( I have to say if you do not know who I am talking about you simply should step away fro me) do some fabulous twists with Zombies. For me though what is truly wonderful about this film is how much we fall in love with the characters! Each one has a story for why they are there, none of them are weak willed or need to be saved they are all in their own way bad a** kicking zombie killa’s!  

Woody!!! 

Woody Harrelson back from the dead movie land to take up one of the im sure to be most talked about roles was fantastic, his mix of humour and don’t f*ck with me or I will destroy you ness made the character loveable but at the same time believable.

Some of my favourite parts of the film was the little details, the little throw backs to Columbus’s rules, the best Zombie kill of the week etc. My only let down and Arrow agreed with me here was that I wanted a little more of that towards the end of the film, We began to loose the balls and gained a little too much gush. Though Woodys character did balance that, as a hardcore zombie fan I wanted just a little more blood and guts at the end, especially since they are in a theme park, oh so many ways to kill a zombie!

So aside from wasted Zombie wasting opportunity’s overall this film was a real winner for us, Arrow and I laughed and wooted the whole way through! There is also a special cameo... well im not going to tell you but it was epicness embodiment!

A little hint about who the Zombie King is 

A great romp and something for the whole family… well ok maybe not anyone under 10….

#1 Posted by Nano (836 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved it

#2 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

The first time I saw anything about this movie was in the previews. And that moment I was all about seeing it, unfortunately I haven't yet, but I am going this weekend. If the movie is half as good as the commercials its a winner. Thanks for the review, it makes me want to see it that much more.

#3 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

*hides under the duvet, as everyone knows that quilts are monster-proof*

#4 Posted by Agent Buttons (13479 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw ot 3 times already...I liked it.

#5 Posted by Methias (437 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely great movie. Went and saw it with about 15 people, and every single person loved it.

#6 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lady Redhead.: There's a Lady RedHead too?  Is there a Lord or Master RedHead... ;) 

Seriously, I'm an absolute coward when it comes to horror & zombie flicks!  I've only seen Shawn of the Dead & Bio Zombie :p
#7 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio

there are three women in the redhead family LOL 

all rpg stuff! and its really not scary just gory fun!

#8 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" @Lady Redhead.: There's a Lady RedHead too?  Is there a Lord or Master RedHead... ;)  Seriously, I'm an absolute coward when it comes to horror & zombie flicks!  I've only seen Shawn of the Dead & Bio Zombie :p "
Trust me it is well worth seeing, not scary more POP dead zombie...Bill Murry XD... Theme Park... Clown... Nut up or Shut Up.... Epicness,
#9 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Mistress Redhead. said:
" there are three women in the redhead family LOL "
No guys?  Awww, there goes my plan to marry an Aussie & emigrate ;) 

@Final Arrow said:
"Trust me it is well worth seeing, not scary more POP dead zombie...Bill Murry XD... Theme Park... Clown... Nut up or Shut Up.... Epicness, "
Yeah, but... when I say I've 'seen Shawn of the Dead', what I really mean is 'I've seen most of Shawn of the Dead' ;)
#10 Posted by EisforExtinction (1909 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Mistress Redhead.: Despite the fact that I think zombie movies are totally played out Zombieland was really enjoyable. It was like Crank and when anything is like Crank then it's awesome. 
That being said this can be the last zombie movie. You get everything you want in it (zombie clown in a theme park and Bill Murray). Now they can stop making zombie movies for awhile.
#11 Posted by robbiesol (474 posts) - - Show Bio
"

Now before you continue to read this review i want to tell you something up front. I am one of the biggest Zombie movie fans around... I love em adore em... gimme some loud groaning and moaning combined with excessive bodily fluids and just a hint of blood and guts im in seventh heaven. Now add some bad a** dude, a hot chicka a nerd and a kid i would be proud to call my own and BAM we have a winner!! 

"

Easy, this kind of paragraph may lead to internet pining. 

I love all things Z.  Movies, books, comics, you name it and I love it.  Even the B-rate zombie films have made their way into my DVD player.  This was a great zombie movie.  

I agree with everything you said in your review (even the little extra gush at the end) but I'm shocked you forgot to mention one of the greatest cameos in movie history!  BM's scenes were incredible in this and I cracked up at the "movie re-enactment".  Once he stumbled into the indoor theater I knew he was a gonner.   

I agree this movie is a 10, go watch it and don't forget the rules, especially #2:  Double Tap. 

I'll leave with my favorite quote of the movie:  "F*** THIS CLOWN!" 
#12 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio
@robbiesol: DOH i was trying to leave that part as a super suprise!! 

it was my favourite part it made the whole film for me! but i left it out of my review to make sure people found it to be a surprise!
#13 Posted by danhimself (22623 posts) - - Show Bio

I think my favorite part was all of the scenes with Bill Murray....those scenes really made me lol

#14 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
"

*hides under the duvet, as everyone knows that quilts are monster-proof*

"
indeed they are lol
#15 Posted by danhimself (22623 posts) - - Show Bio

also there weren't any of the zombie movie cliches done in this...I started out the movie knowing in my head that one of the main characters would get bitten and become a zombie...but that never happened so I was a little shocked

#16 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" also there weren't any of the zombie movie cliches done in this...I started out the movie knowing in my head that one of the main characters would get bitten and become a zombie...but that never happened so I was a little shocked "
yeah same thing he here i was thinking that
#17 Posted by robbiesol (474 posts) - - Show Bio
" @robbiesol: DOH i was trying to leave that part as a super suprise!!  it was my favourite part it made the whole film for me! but i left it out of my review to make sure people found it to be a surprise! "

*Bill voice* 

OHH NOOOOO!!! 

Sorry about letting the cat out of the bag, I tried to talk around it and use initials.  Don't let my spoiler stop you from watching this movie though!
#18 Posted by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

I find the whole zombie concept pretty boring at this point. Just like vampires. Aren't there any other historically-based monster concepts? Maybe something in Eastern cultures?

#19 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncle Bill was awesome in this movie.

#20 Posted by RavagingHamster (836 posts) - - Show Bio

cant wait to see it! looks great. normally horror movies freak me out (good ones anyway) but they are worth seeing when the monsters get theirs! and zombie flicks are just awesome (normally. Land of the Dead wasnt ground breaking or frightening, but still entertaining)
#21 Posted by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lady Redhead. said:
" @bx1: Zombies come from eastern cultures....lol  but agreed, Vampires are over saturated at the moment, Zombies however i dont think they can ever be, its such a brilliant Genre! "
Where does the zombie concept come from, exactly? Just curious.
#22 Posted by Darkchild (40995 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw Zombieland with my buddy and we f@#king loved it

#23 Posted by NightFang (10128 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna see this movie tonight!

#24 Posted by Darkchild (40995 posts) - - Show Bio

its awesome fang ull enjoy it

#25 Posted by Drafta (690 posts) - - Show Bio
@bx1: I think it originated from Haiti were people who were supposedly dead were working on sugar plantations.
#26 Posted by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio
@Drafta said:
" @bx1: I think it originated from Haiti were people who were supposedly dead were working on sugar plantations. "
Yeah. I thought that was it. Thanks.
#27 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio
@bx1 said:
" @Lady Redhead. said:
" @bx1: Zombies come from eastern cultures....lol  but agreed, Vampires are over saturated at the moment, Zombies however i dont think they can ever be, its such a brilliant Genre! "
Where does the zombie concept come from, exactly? Just curious. "
@Drafta said:
" @bx1: I think it originated from Haiti were people who were supposedly dead were working on sugar plantations. "
its kinda a mixture, it originated supposedly from the voodoo religion, they were able to bring people back to life, there is a famous story about a a guy who was supposedly a zombie, but it also relates to eastern cultures, the buddhists believe evil can walk the earth if their soul is not placed properly.. its really a mixture from what i know, but i am in now way a full bottle on it all! But yeah as much as i was playing around it is known to be originated from the Voodoo religion. 
#28 Posted by Drafta (690 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Mistress Redhead.: Oh, okay, that makes more sense.
#29 Posted by robbiesol (474 posts) - - Show Bio
" @bx1 said:
" @Lady Redhead. said:
Where does the zombie concept come from, exactly? Just curious. "
@Drafta said:
its kinda a mixture, it originated supposedly from the voodoo religion, they were able to bring people back to life, there is a famous story about a a guy who was supposedly a zombie, but it also relates to eastern cultures, the buddhists believe evil can walk the earth if their soul is not placed properly.. its really a mixture from what i know, but i am in now way a full bottle on it all! But yeah as much as i was playing around it is known to be originated from the Voodoo religion.  "

Yup, and the modern take on Zombies can be credited to Romero.  He came up with the concept of a massive undead horde with a single predatory need to feed where infection is passed on through a bite or scratch. 

Zombies are great.
#30 Posted by crazywolf (653 posts) - - Show Bio
@robbiesol said:
"Zombies are great."
Damn skippy. Zombieland was just enjoyable to watch. I'd put it up there with Shaun of the Dead. After the hype with Marvel Zombies, Zombieland made me happy about zombies again.
#31 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2771 posts) - - Show Bio

I LOVE ZOMBIES!

#32 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illyana Rasputin said:
" I LOVE ZOMBIES!
"
Epic pic LMAO

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.