Zilius Zox is a member of the same species as the deceased Green Lanterns, Galius Zed and Cundiff Cood. Like his fellow Red Lanterns, Zilius Zox was called to the red light because he possessed the capacity for great anger. The Red Lantern was among the many red warriors who pledged allegiance to Atrocitus, swearing revenge against Sinestro and his depraved Sinestro Corps.
Zilius Zox was created by Geoff Johns and Shane Davis and first appeared in the one-shot Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns #1.
Major Story Arcs
Rage of the Red Lanterns
For further details: Rage of the Red Lanterns
Following the Sinestro Corps War, Sinestro remained a prisoner of the Green Lantern Corps, sentenced to die for his countless crimes against the universe. In recognition of the tyranny he perpetrated against the Korugarian people, and the desire of the Korugarians to bring justice to the greatest villain in their history, the Guardians of the Universe agreed to transport Sinestro to stand trial on his own homeworld. Sinestro was placed in a Sciencell and turned over to Hal Jordan and John Stewart, who would lead a contingent of Green Lanterns assigned to guard their prisoner until he reached Korugar.
Although the mission details were highly classified, the Sinestro Corps were alerted to the transport. They immediately set into motion a plan to rescue their leader. Hiding behind an asteroid field, the Sinestro Corps ambushed the Lanterns with a surprise blast of power that decapitated the Green Lantern Arx. While the villains kept the guards occupied, the Sinestro Corps Soldier of Sector 3 raced for the Sciencell with a yellow power ring meant for his master. Before Sinestro could be freed, his Corps were themselves ambushed by the Red Lanterns who arrived to claim Sinestro for their own revenge.
The Red Lanterns killed members of both corps indiscriminately and with savage brutality. Zilius Zox nearly swallowed the Sinestro Corps Soldier of Sector 2332 in his massive jaws, crushing his adversary's chest with one fatal bite. Atrocitus seized Sinestro from Green Lantern control and the Red Lanterns fled with their hated prisoner, leaving behind the carnage of both Green and Yellow warriors.
Blood and Rage
On the Red Lantern's home planet of Ysmault, Zilius Zox, appears to be on Bleez side as she forms a group of Red Lanterns that want to "Rrragge at...Atrocitu...ssss!!". Then after Atrocitus throws Bleez into the Blood Ocean to clean her mind, he throws Zilius Zox, Ratchet and Skallox in as well hoping to learn Bleez plans from these three.
But while the three are in the Blood Ocean, Krona's body goes missing and Atrocitus sends Bleez into the Ocean to retrieve the Lanterns to help him find the body. When Bleez pull Zilius Zox out he is glad to have his memories back and wishes to punish the ones who hurt him.
Zilius Zox then gets in an argument with Ratchet and threaten to throw him back into the Ocean, for talking too much, but Atrocitus stops him, demanding the Red Lanterns focus on the task at hand, finding Krona's body.
Zilius Zox is, then among the Lanterns who watch Bleez and Atrocitus fight, and though Skallox stops them Zox seems to be enjoying the beating Bleez receives. This maybe why Zox stays on Ysmault instead of following Bleez off world to catch some hiding Sinestro Corp members.
Death of the Red Lanterns
Powers and Abilities
Zillus is a bearer of the Red Lantern Ring and has all the powers that come with it. The abilities the ring grants him are:
- Animating: A Red Lantern can will things to move how he wants.
- Caustic Effect: Red Lantern power can damage and drain away the power of other lanterns almost like a poison. For example green lanterns who survive a Red Lantern attack will begin to lose power from the almost napalm like attacks of Red Lanterns.
- Communicator: The ring can act as a personal communicator between Lanterns.
- Costumes: The wearer of the ring may create any costume they choose, based on their personal preferences, whenever they choose. The ring projects the costume over any clothes already worn at the time. While Red Lanterns have no costume code they all are red and black with the Red Lantern symbol displayed.
- Energy Projection: The rings can also project beams, form protective bubbles and force fields, and fire destructive blasts. The attacks often come from the mouth from a Red Lantern.
- Energy Constructs: The rings can construct anything the wearer can imagine from hard-light energy, as long as they are willing to make it. The more determined the wearer is, the more complex and intricate these things can be. The constructs can even be so complex as to form working machines, computers, and even people. Red Lanterns have difficulty creating constructs due to their anger. Zillus has regained some of his mental facilities so he may display constructs in the future.
- Flight: The ring allows the wearer to fly in atmosphere or in space, and can achieve incredible speeds, moving from planet to planet in a matter of hours.
- Heart Replacement: Red Lantern Rings replace the heart of the lantern who wields them so removing a Red Lantern ring is often fatal without medical attention or the presence of a Blue Lantern. Atrocitus had his heart ripped from his body and was able to return to the fight within seconds since his ring serves as his heart.
- Mirages: The Ring can create mirages/illusions.
- Recharging: The rings need to be recharged by means of a Power Battery. Other large sources of power may be used to recharge a power ring, however effectiveness may vary. The internal power source of a Manhunter Android is, in effect, the same as a power battery, and can be used to recharge a power ring. During the JLA / Avengers crossover, a Cosmic Cube was used to recharge a depleted ring, although this is not an ideal solution and is available if there are no other options.
- Ring Duplication: Each ring can duplicate itself, creating a second ring which may be given to another as a backup, for protection, or to help the lantern in times of great need. This duplicate ring is exactly like a normal ring.
- Temperature Control: The Ring can increase or decrease the temperature of anything, even something as large as stars, or even create bubbles of intense heat or cold, even down to Absolute Zero.
- Electro-magnetic scanning: The ring can allow(through the use of x rays) the user to see through walls, without the people on the other side knowing. it can also scan along the Electromagnetic spectrum.
- Wormhole/Warps: The ring can open wormholes to cut down on distance.
- Red Lantern Status: Active
- Space Sector: 3544
- Sector Partner: ?
- Homeworld: Unknown
- Predecessor: Inapplicable
- Successor: Inapplicable