Zatanna the Movie

• 61 results
#1 Posted by Renee (10289 posts) - - Show Bio
          What do you guys think about a Zatanna movie? I think it would be a great idea! Even for people who knew nothing about her, I think it would still appeal to them being magical and all. It's pretty clear the magic movies do well, love it or hate it, take a look at Harry Potter. So who would you pick as your cast and director? I think an awesome director for this film would be Tim Burton. He's had experience in the comic book movie filed, and has done a great job. I'm not sure who could play Zee though. Someone likable. I really think if this movie was ever made it could be amazing. I would love it if they could tie her into a Justice League movie in the future too. 
#2 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8900 posts) - - Show Bio

If well written it could be awesome. Unfortunately since few outside the comic community know her, if it were in the works it would likely be directed by the idiot who directed Elektra or Ghost Rider

#3 Posted by Renee (10289 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach: 
I thought Rob did a good job with Elektra, I liked it. But who would your dream choice be?
#4 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8900 posts) - - Show Bio
@Renee:  I thought Elektra was one of the absolute worst super-hero movies ever.

But if i could pick the director. Maybe Zack Snider or Tim Burton. I think the person who directed the movie Hellboy could likewise pull it off. Maybe the person who directed the movie version of Gaiman's fairy tale about the kid looking for a star in another world (can't remember the name) That said I would love to see Zatanna in a full-lenght animated movie more. Something done by the guys who drew Titan A.E and written by Neil Gaiman.
#5 Posted by Renee (10289 posts) - - Show Bio

Ooo I think your talking about Stardust! I love that movie! That was from Matthew Vaughn. I would rather it not be animated but I would still watch it both ways.

#6 Posted by Captain13 (3408 posts) - - Show Bio

The 3 directors I think could make are

1.  Guillermo del Toro, director of Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy
2. Joss Whedon who did the Buffy series and the Serenity movie
3. Neil Marshall the director of Doomsday

As for Actresses, I could see Zooey Deschanel, Olivia Wilde, and Rachel McAdams doing well in the role. 

#7 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8900 posts) - - Show Bio
@Renee:  yes that's it Stardust, loved reading that and very much enjoyed the movie.

The reason I'm suggesting animated is because the guys who drew Titan A.E made superbly beautiful animation and might be better to show the magic if you will. Or the people that drew spirited away or Princess Mononoke

But as I said, if well done I would love a Zatanna movie.
#8 Posted by Renee (10289 posts) - - Show Bio
@Captain13: 
Joss Whedon is a great choice! I can't believe I never thought of him. So is Rachel McAdmas, I had her as my Canary girl, but I think I like her as Zee better.
#9 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8900 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope Joss Whedon stays away from a possible Zatanna movie. Rachel is a great choice. But I would go with Catherine Zeta-Jones for some reason

#10 Posted by Captain13 (3408 posts) - - Show Bio
@Renee:  Thanks! Z is the superheroine I would most like to see have her own movie, so I've though about this before.

Plus, Yvonne Strahovski (the actress from Chuck) is Black Canary in my head.

#11 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8900 posts) - - Show Bio
@Captain13 said:
"   Thanks! Z is the superheroine I would most like to see have her own movie, so I've though about this before. "
I'd be satisfied if she just got the spotlight more often. She's only just starting to earn some well-deserved respect.
#12 Posted by Captain13 (3408 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach said:
" @Captain13 said:
"   Thanks! Z is the superheroine I would most like to see have her own movie, so I've though about this before. "
I'd be satisfied if she just got the spotlight more often. She's only just starting to earn some well-deserved respect. "
Well said. She's a great character.
#13 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8900 posts) - - Show Bio
@Captain13:  yes, yes she is. She only appeared with dialogue in one Justice League Unlimited episode and she was still one of the most awesome characters they introduced. Plus in the final episodes she was wasting entire armies of Apocalyps parademons by turning them into doves. How is that not awesome?
#14 Posted by Captain13 (3408 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach: Yeah, I remember seeing that and thinking her attacks may not only be some of the most dangerous but also some of the most captivating to watch. I also remember liking her as a kid when I saw her on Batman TAS. It's funny that she's been around for so long, but isn't more popular. I hope her current series gets her more attention.
#15 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8900 posts) - - Show Bio
@Captain13:  It's because sorcerers and magic based beings never get enough respect in DC comics.
#16 Posted by Captain13 (3408 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach: Truer words have never been spoken. The magic part of DC is mostly kept separate from the rest of their Universe. It would be great if Johns did a Magic crossover with Zatanna, Captain Marvel, and Wonder Woman that played up the Magic aspect of the DCU.

I hope you guys have a good night. I'm gonna crash. 

Happy posting,

C13.
#17 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8900 posts) - - Show Bio
@Captain13: that would be really cool, gonna go crash too.
#18 Posted by EpitomeofCool (2779 posts) - - Show Bio

How about...
Director - Tim Burton
Writer - Joss Whedon
Star - Rachel Mcadams

Who would the villain be?

#19 Posted by TheAdversary (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Zatanna. I think she's one of the most amazing superhero out there. Her powers are just endless and yet she still can maintain her cool and friendliness. If they ever do a movie on her, I'd love to see they make it about her origin. Not sure about an actress that suit her. Although I can see Olivia Wilde playing as her. Don't know why.

#20 Posted by harleyquinn12 (1767 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the idea! As for who could play her, hmm, Eva Mendes,I'm unsure why!
#21 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8900 posts) - - Show Bio

she should be played by Catherine Zeta-Jones I'm telling ya. She's sexy, smart and a good actress. 

@EpitomeofCool said:

"  How about...Director - Tim Burton Writer - Joss Whedon Star - Rachel Mcadams  Who would the villain be? "

Not Joss Whedon as the writer.
#22 Posted by EpitomeofCool (2779 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach said:
"she should be played by Catherine Zeta-Jones I'm telling ya. She's sexy, smart and a good actress. 

@EpitomeofCool said:
"  How about...Director - Tim Burton Writer - Joss Whedon Star - Rachel Mcadams  Who would the villain be? "
Not Joss Whedon as the writer. "

Yes to Joss. hes an amazing writer and has made some great witches in his past work.  Catherine Zeta-Jones, I can't see in the part, yes she is beautiful and a good actress but way to old for the part.
#23 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8900 posts) - - Show Bio
@EpitomeofCool:  Nothing he's written leads me to believe he could pull off Zatanna. Now Guillomo Del Toro...
#24 Posted by EpitomeofCool (2779 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach said:
" @EpitomeofCool:  Nothing he's written leads me to believe he could pull off Zatanna. Now Guillomo Del Toro... "

Buffy the vampire slayer, you should look at his material there. Who's that guy you mentioned, any familiar works he's done?
#25 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8900 posts) - - Show Bio
@EpitomeofCool:  Buffy's not good enough writing to pull off Zatanna in my opinion. Nor is the style appropriate. I'm still against Joss writing this.

@EpitomeofCool said:
"Who's that guy you mentioned, any familiar works he's done? "
He wrote and directed Pan's Labyrinth and the two Hellboy movies.
#26 Posted by EpitomeofCool (2779 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach: Oh. I loved pans labryith! But I hated the hellboy movies, they were awful! So not sure about him...
#27 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8900 posts) - - Show Bio
@EpitomeofCool:  I liked them, they actually showed the writer and director actually understood the character even if at the same time it was clear his creativity, directing and freedom was severily hampered by executive meddling that stopped him from making the movies he wanted to.
#28 Posted by nightwing91 (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

I say Joss, his work on Buffy  really show the empowerment of women. And in a world where there has been not 1 single female role model of a superhero in a solo movie I think Zatanna would be a great choice.  And as for a villan, i say we go with a demon for her to fight.

#29 Posted by athomneil (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to see Megan Fox play Zatanna. She is really pretty and talented and I think she would be awesome! What do you guys think?

#30 Posted by Renee (10289 posts) - - Show Bio
@athomneil: 
Big fat NO to Megan Fox! If she was to play Zee I would throw up everywhere. How is she talented?
#31 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@Renee: 
I have to agree 
I am not  a fan of her  
and I think Zatanna deserves better, IMO
#32 Posted by Fortanono (4889 posts) - - Show Bio

Zatanna: Hale Berry
Zatara: Bruce Lee
Zachary Zatara: D!ck Van Dyke
These Are Who I Want For The Zataras.

#33 Posted by Renee (10289 posts) - - Show Bio
@Fortanono: 
Halle Berry already got to be Storm and Catwoman, lets give someone else a chance. :P
#34 Posted by Sexy Merc (42076 posts) - - Show Bio
@Renee said:

" @Fortanono:  Halle Berry already got to be Storm and Catwoman, lets give someone else a chance. :P "

In other words:

#35 Posted by Renee (10289 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sexy Merc: 
LOL!
#36 Posted by ComicMan24 (147095 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to see a movie with Zatanna. Tim Burton would be a good choice or the one who did the Hellboy movies. I can't remember his name now.

#37 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio
@EpitomeofCool said:
" How about...Director - Tim Burton Writer - Joss Whedon Star - Rachel Mcadams  Who would the villain be? "

This.
#38 Posted by speedarrow (77 posts) - - Show Bio
@Captain13: Oh, yeah, I can definitely see her as Black Canary for sure, now that you mention it.
#39 Posted by speedarrow (77 posts) - - Show Bio

That'd be an interesting movie! I'm not sure if I have any opinions on who to direct/write it, or who should act in the movie, even if it comes to it-- I just want one thing only. I want it to be well written and actually fun to watch.

#40 Edited by superobladee (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this topic!  Wish I didn't stumble across this subject months later since it started.  I've been talking to a close friend that works heavily in the movie industry about a Zatanna movie for the past year.  I wouldn't be surprised if one were to be developed within 10 years especially with the latest line up of Zatanna comics.  I always thought a film based on Zee would be entertaining ever since I first started reading more about her a while back.  

If I may throw my own thoughts into this fun topic, I think Christopher Nolan (or someone that can imitate his style of films) would be a brilliant choice for a director.  I can't complain about Tim Burton as well.  I believe for the general public to take such a super hero seriously on the big screen, especially if they were not familiar with Zatanna as they might be with Superman, the style would have to be borderline physiological thriller and mystery.  Lots of cool effects yet with a dark texture, victorian era mixed in with modern times.  As for who would play Zatanna I think  Michelle Monaghan,  Mila Kunis,  Eva Green, or Olivia Wilde.  Take a look at them and imagine a top hat settled on top of there heads.  

#41 Posted by Chesapeake (2210 posts) - - Show Bio

This sound really like a good idea for a movie.  It's going to be difficult to understand anything she says !!! Ha Ha

#42 Posted by WW-Fan (2738 posts) - - Show Bio

it would be awesome too see Zatanna movie or just a tv series! :) and the girl who played her in Smallville should play her again
#43 Posted by Renee (10289 posts) - - Show Bio
@WW-Fan: 

That would be Serinda Swan. She was really good. :)
#44 Posted by Circe (143 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be a great WOW factor indeed if they made a movie ^__^
tanit phoenix, rose mcgowan, serinda swan, charlotte sullivan, would all be great!! 
(this is queenfrost_ btw :D)

#45 Posted by StarKiller809 (1239 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be a wonderful idea, but I just don't see it happening. Zatanna is not well know as Superman or Batman. I really hate it when DC dosen't even try to put more characters on the big screen.
#46 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio
bump.
#47 Posted by PowerHerc (85105 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Zatanna, so I'd be interested in a Zatanna movie.
#48 Posted by BoOMbOoMpOw (1711 posts) - - Show Bio

Zack snyder or Joss Whedon would be absoulutly awesoome as a director !!! Any actress is fine by me as long as it isn`t the actress from Smallville I think she looks much too arrogant for Zatanna !

#49 Posted by Kairan1979 (16868 posts) - - Show Bio

Serinda Swann in Smallville was pretty good as Zatanna.

#50 Posted by lorex (958 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Zatanna has potential as a movie but if DC had trouble selling Green Lantern a central hero in the DC universe to the masses how are they going to sell Zatanna. Honestly I think Zatanna would have more potential as a TV show.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.