ZATANNA #1 Preview

Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

No need to check my Source… I’ve got some new Stephane Roux-drawn preview pages from the first issue of Zatanna here for you to peruse. These are, of course, in addition to the handful we showed you before, previewing the Paul Dini-written solo series that’s debuting in May.

Photographic proof positive.

Seems like the Mistress of Magic is investigating a supernaturally-caused crime scene, but you don’t just want pictures, do you? This is comics, baby! Where are the words?!  You need some context for these illustrations. How about an official synopsis, huh?

Zatanna Zatara has long made her home in San Francisco, but right under her nose a sinister threat has developed – a crime boss who dominates the criminal underworld with the dark powers of the magical underworld. The terrifying Brother Night is making his play for San Fran, and the police force – including hunky detective Dale Colton – turn to Zee for help. But Brother Night is a whole new kind of criminal and if Zatanna thinks she can backwards-talk him down, then she’s in over her head.

Seeing as how both Zatanna and Comic Vine have made the city by the bay their haunt , it’s a wonder the magic lady hasn’t stopped by our offices, yet.   

That's a lot of bunnies, there.

“But she’s a fictional character!” you shriek.

Is she? Explain this evidence above, then. Photographic proof positive. She clearly exists, so it’s obvious she’s just snubbing us.

I’ll confess to not being the world authority on Zatanna, but this will be her first ongoing solo-series, right? I remember the Ryan Sook mini starring her was one of the stand-outs of Grant Morrison’s SEVEN SOLDIERS mega-series. It was right up there with FRANKENSTEIN!, KLARION THE WITCHBOY and MANHATTAN GUARDIAN in my book.  Does somebody share my sensational sentiments?

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

#1 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

Zatanna has become a popular character

#2 Posted by Benzo (621 posts) - - Show Bio

i can't wait to get this!!!! :D

#3 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that photo might actually be a still from Smallville......

#4 Posted by MrCipher (276 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas:
It is from Smallville. I remember the same pic from when Comic Vine was previewing the new Smallville season
#5 Edited by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to haunt you now Tom. Now and forever until WB gives me a guest appearance on Supernatural or possibly One Tree Hill.
Tom you tease!   

And here I was looking at this column and reading your caption, assuming that Zatanna will be appearing at the WB show Supernatural...  

For shame Tom, for shame!
#6 Posted by Hamz (342 posts) - - Show Bio

Not gonna lie here. I love me some Zatanna....more than is probably healthy!

#7 Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jordanstine:  Bait... and switch.
#8 Posted by TheBug (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

Art looks gorgeous, Stephane Roux is amazing.

I'll definitely be picking this up, but when is Paul going to get back to writing the Bat books?

#9 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Already on my pull list.

#10 Posted by SkullcrusherX (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking forward to this series!!
#11 Posted by MemnochZERO (146 posts) - - Show Bio

I never get stuff monthly or if I do it's just a handful of books, this might be one of them considering my love for Zatanna. And nice Seven Soldiers shout out, i loved that whole series with Zatanna's being my overal favorite (Bulleteer a close second). Hopefully the series lives up to my expectations.
#12 Posted by cadaver (143 posts) - - Show Bio

oh boy! hope this is not crap!

#13 Posted by Charmix (11958 posts) - - Show Bio

YES!!!!♥

#14 Posted by NightFang (9907 posts) - - Show Bio

So far so good.

#15 Posted by Bats (147 posts) - - Show Bio

Zatanna is cool.
I'll definitely give it a read.

#16 Posted by Suigetsu (1720 posts) - - Show Bio

she is or was batmans GF right¿?

What does babs has to say? she loves dc and female charas.

#17 Posted by King Saturn (223841 posts) - - Show Bio
might check this out...
#18 Posted by harleyquinnhawkgirl (336 posts) - - Show Bio

I cannot wait to read Zatanna. She's an amazing and unique super hero. It would be great to see her on her own for a change and instead of in a team. With a little help of magic and spells I think she'll do just fine.
#19 Posted by Aheld92 (100 posts) - - Show Bio

I looove Zatanna, Glad She's finally getting some Attention an a title of her own

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.