Well?

#2 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1494 posts) - - Show Bio

@MasterJohn: MAGIC MAYBE???

#3 Posted by starrk_coyote (621 posts) - - Show Bio

@MasterJohn said:

Well?

@RoyHarperBLOW said:

@MasterJohn: MAGIC MAYBE???

i think he/she means that he/she want some scans to see what she is capable to do? :)

#4 Posted by JonSmith (3990 posts) - - Show Bio

She can speak backwards, and whatever she says happens. So if she wanted you to disappear, she'd say:

NhojRetsaM raeppasid.

#5 Posted by MasterJohn (2471 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

She can speak backwards, and whatever she says happens. So if she wanted you to disappear, she'd say:

NhojRetsaM raeppasid.

Can she turn blood to fire?

#6 Posted by JonSmith (3990 posts) - - Show Bio

@MasterJohn said:

Can she turn blood to fire?

Nrut sih doolb ot erif.

#7 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Her powers can do all kinds of random things. It is really interesting to see what she is capable of in terms of magical feats.

#8 Posted by PassionFlower (960 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the character but I find her power just too...much. Is anything a contest for her?

#9 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think she really has limits. If she can say it backwards, it'll happen.

#10 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Gnihtyna

#11 Posted by DarthShap (875 posts) - - Show Bio

I usually hate it when people say that Superman is too powerful and that Batman is way cooler than him because he does not have any powers (which is ridiculous because Batman is the very definition of overpowered).

However, when it comes to Zatanna, I do think that she is too powerful. Basically, she is omnipotent and everything she says just happens. "POTS!" is literally the solution to every fight. I really like the character but in my opinion, it has always been a huge problem.

#12 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

she is a walking hail mary in dire situations, otherwise she gets her throat cut more than an inmate in guantanamo bay.

#13 Edited by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

Im pretty sure she has a limit.

I mean think about it if she can say "enoyreve nrut ot enots" or "tcerusseR" she can rue the world and bring people back to life!

can you imagine her just speaking backwards doing anything...so yaa im not buying that she can just say anything backwards and it'll work. and i recall in a recent issue of JLD where she tried to say something backwards but she struggled and it didn't work. ill find a scan later but my point is i call BULL that she can just say a word backwards and its happening.

#14 Edited by DarthShap (875 posts) - - Show Bio

@zackattack529 said:

Im pretty sure she has a limit.

I mean think about it if she can say "enoyreve nrut ot enots" or "tcerusseR" she can rue the world and bring people back to life!

can you imagine her just speaking backwards doing anything...so yaa im not buying that she can just say anything backwards and it'll work. and i recall in a recent issue of JLD where she tried to say something backwards but she struggled and it didn't work. ill find a scan later but my point is i call BULL that she can just say a word backwards and its happening.

Actually that is part of the problem. Writers usually realise she needs limits so what they do instead of actually depowering her is they invent new limits while completely ignoring the previously established ones. For instance, at the beginning of her last series, for some reason, she no longer could affect the living directly but this came out of nowhere and it did not stick.

Instead of actually revamping her powers, writers just have her say "I cannot do that" when they need to, which is lame and does not make any sense when one year before, she could do it just fine and considering that she will be able to do it in a few issues.

It is kind of like Johns writing the Spectre in JSA, GL: Rebirth, Blackest Night, GL: Blackest Night and GL: The New Guardians (the story arc). Each time, he invents a new reason to explain why he cannot intervene in that specific situation.

#15 Posted by MasterJohn (2471 posts) - - Show Bio

I am glad Zatanna still has fans.

#16 Posted by name_already_chosen (175 posts) - - Show Bio

Over the years, Zatanna has stated a number of times that using her powers drains her more than people realize.

It's also easy to forget how much of a burden saying something backwards could be in genuine combat. In the time it takes her to say aloud "ezeerF!", The Batman or Black Canary or Lady Shiva could already have kicked her into unconsciousness before she had finished the one-syllable word. And her powers either malfunction or fail to work at all those rare times she has slurred, enunciated poorly, or been interrupted mid-sentence by a sneeze from sneezing powder, for example.

She has also admitted a number of times over the years that her backwards spells tend to occur literally, so if she miswords something, what she says will occur rather than what she had meant to say. This has been stated several times as her reason for avoiding any sorts of spells which deal with the human mind -- for example, if she told Superman "Llaf ni evol htiw rednoW namoW", she could not control whether he developed a fatherly adoration of Diana, a stalker's obsession with our favorite Amazon, or a healthy romantic desire for the Princess.

She has also admitted several times that the fact she can do almost anything often overwhelms her -- although intelligent and clever, she is not quick-witted, so although figuring out how to say something in reverse quickly is easy for her, deciding what to say is not. This is supported by her claim that she likes to follow the same routine every night in her nightclub magic act with little spontaneity. In at least one issue she has admitted that she often practices ahead of time what spells to use in combat to compensate for her difficulty with spontaneous planning.

In My Humble Opinion, her best appearances have dealt with her power level in the same way that Superman's power level is often dealt with -- as something she fights to remain humble about because she has seen how easily power can corrupt. Both Zatanna and Superman have to survive in a "world of cardboard" in which their great power could easily do damage they could not undo. In Zatanna's case, there is the added danger that, as one of the premier magic-wielding mortals, she is constantly looked in on by both the evil supernatural powers and the good supernatural powers of her reality. Unlike Superman, she is often visited by evil forces which would just love to see her corrupted by her power level, and unlike Superman, she can find herself chastised by an angel for misuse of her powers. It has been made quite clear that beings such as the Spectre or Dream can ignore her spells without effort.

It is unclear whether she avoids bringing back the dead because she is unable to do so or because she knows that the spiritual powers that be will make her quite sorry for reversing the life-death cycle if she does so.

In many ways, the best appearances of Zatanna have been reminiscent of the uses of magic in the lauded 1960s sitcom Bewitched. Samantha Stephens could have taken over the world, but she had no interest in such power and knew how worthless such power would be be for one such as she. Additionally, it was fairly clear that the time and effort it took to cast a spell made magic ineffective on a tactical level (strategically useful, and useful against non-combatants, but not tactically useful). Her species of magic-wielders also had to worry about the literalism of their spells on occasion (thus, Esmeralda once brought forth Julius Caesar while trying to conjure up a Caesar Salad.) Fortunately for Samantha, she had a number of spells she could cast with a quick nose twitch or snap of the fingers, which gave her the clear advantage over Zatanna were the two ever to fight.

#17 Posted by yuccabrev (5 posts) - - Show Bio

On Zatanna's page it says that she knows martian kung fu. Does anybody know anything about this? Where did she learn it, is red belt the highest belt, who else knows it, what issue is this info from, etc?

#18 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14587 posts) - - Show Bio

be my fav DC girl.

#19 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

Neato magic tricks and looks great in fishnets

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.