Serious heroine or just eye candy?

• 55 results
#1 Posted by Mighty Thorion (797 posts) - - Show Bio

Is DC's resident attractive magician just pure eye candy or is she a serious player in the super hero stakes? Perhaps her new magazine will tell us!
#2 Posted by Vortex13 (12263 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm assuming you mean Zatana but you should give some indication that you are. I love Zatana and I think she does have a role in the DCU. Hopefully her new series will show her with a bigger part in the scheme of things.

#3 Posted by Donovan Montgomery (5446 posts) - - Show Bio

The eye candy's to draw them in, let's hope the writing keeps 'em there :0

#4 Posted by Sexy Merc (42076 posts) - - Show Bio

Serious heroine imo, I actually like her character.

#5 Posted by Zniperking (281 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she is a serious heroine but I think her problem is that she doesn't get that much of a spotlight, can't wait for her new series

#6 Posted by War Killer (20258 posts) - - Show Bio

She looks good while being serious.

#7 Posted by Golden Cod (428 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she was the one who tried to find a more permanent solution to crime by brainwashing villains to be good.   If it's true, she's a serious heroine imo.

#8 Posted by Dane (10596 posts) - - Show Bio

I think shes a cool character.

#9 Posted by darkstorm1 (45 posts) - - Show Bio

Zatanna is one of my favorite characters in the DCU......Glad she's getting her own solo.
#10 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

#11 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8869 posts) - - Show Bio

She's one of the best DC heroines in my opinion. I wish she could get more attention. Maybe a good arc with one the major DC characters might help. Personally I always liked her appearances in Batman stories. I'd definitively be able to see her becoming a regular there. Maybe she could start dating Bruce once he comes back. It's not like the writers haven't touched on that possibility before.

#12 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

She's both.  She's a Serieye Candero.  In the grand DC tradition she's of those characters that is heroic but maintains that sly playfulness and utterly ridiculous power array.

#13 Posted by obie1103 (52 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she's a pretty serious heroine. Its just that she hasn't been more involved in as many serious arcs as she should have been. And the stockings don't help either. They make her look like cocktease than a superhero

#14 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Serious heroine... I think her character is even better than WW... Only my opinion...

#15 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, she is one of my all time favourite heroes. Given that she's a favourite of Paul Dini too, it's surprising it's taken DC this long to give her her own title.

#16 Posted by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio

Zatanna is one of the strongest heroes in DC. Plus they all go to her and Doctor Fate when there is magical trouble.
#17 Posted by Renee (10289 posts) - - Show Bio

A BEAUTY and a HERO! :)

#18 Posted by Krakoa (555 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think she's any less or more serious than any other DC heroine, but she might benefit from a Frank Miller-esque mini drawn by Bill Sienkiewicz. (just sayin')

#19 Posted by Krakoa (555 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank Miller can make anything serious and gritty, case in point:  

#20 Posted by Dreamspinner (218 posts) - - Show Bio
@Krakoa: OMG creepy!
#21 Posted by Krakoa (555 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dreamspinner: lol 
and apologies in advance to Mighty Thorion for derailing your topic.
#22 Posted by PowerHerc (84383 posts) - - Show Bio

The design of Zatanna's costume is such that many wrongly regard her as mere eye candy, but she is definately a serious heroine.
#23 Posted by Kairan1979 (16780 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think there's anything funny with what she did to Dr. Light.

#24 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Both.

#25 Posted by ZoddGuts (75 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah she's a little of both. But that's what makes her a fun character. Glad she got her own series going.

#26 Posted by superbatprime (130 posts) - - Show Bio

By her own admission she is not a superhero.

But that doesn't mean she couldn't stop Superman dead in his tracks with a single sentence.

The fact that she is cute is just a bonus, Zee is not to be messed with, she is one of the most dangerous people on Earth.

#27 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrock85 said:

Both.

I'm still right.

#28 Posted by TheCannon (18918 posts) - - Show Bio

eye candy. Great looking eye candy

Art by Eric Basaldua

Not as good as Power Girl, but good looking.

#29 Posted by cattlebattle (12830 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know......but I do know this, Zatanna cosplayers are always win...for me at least

#30 Posted by Joygirl (20045 posts) - - Show Bio

Can she be both?

#31 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

former. I don't even see her as all that attractive, to be honest.

#32 Posted by PowerHerc (84383 posts) - - Show Bio

She's a serious heroine who happens to look like eye-candy. She's both.

#33 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

I FREAKIN LOVE Zantanna, so yes she is imo a key player in the DC Universe. She went from a simple caster to a powerhouse and as earned the right to be taken seriously.

#34 Posted by TheCannon (18918 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

How can you not find her that attractive?

#35 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

@ReVamp said:

Dunno. I find her more attractive now, post-FP.

#36 Posted by The Stegman (24654 posts) - - Show Bio

Zatanna is my favorite superheroine period, she has everything I love in a character, she can be funny and carefree,(rather going home and sleep then drink with other superheroes, which I can relate to) she can be serious and make the tough decisions (like with doctor Light) she's powerful, a strong woman WITHOUT being a b!tch, has cool, unique powers, and yes, she is pretty darn attractive,  

Fact is, Zatanna is just plain, !emosewa

#37 Posted by TheCannon (18918 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@TheCannon said:

@ReVamp said:

Dunno. I find her more attractive now, post-FP.

Look at her.

By Jamie Fay
Art by Eric Basaldua
#38 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: I like the first one.

#39 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

- She was treated as a 4th tier character for along time by DC so I can see why some readers would think of her that way

- The past 5 years she has been treated a lot better, substance to go with the eye candy, she is one of my more favored female DC characters even if I do not follow it much

#40 Posted by TheCannon (18918 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@TheCannon: I like the first one.

Good. Will you admit she is gorgeous now?

#41 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: No.

#42 Posted by TheCannon (18918 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

Why?

#43 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

@ReVamp said:

Why?

Because.

#44 Posted by TheCannon (18918 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@TheCannon said:

@ReVamp said:

Why?

Because.

Because why? She's one of DC's hottest characters. Ranking behind Power Girl, Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Huntress, Fire, and Ice.

#45 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

@ReVamp said:

@TheCannon said:

@ReVamp said:

Why?

Because.

Because why? She's one of DC's hottest characters. Ranking behind Power Girl, Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Huntress, Fire, and Ice.

Do I need to logically justify? Its all subjective, there's no real reason.

#46 Posted by TheCannon (18918 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@TheCannon said:

@ReVamp said:

@TheCannon said:

@ReVamp said:

Why?

Because.

Do I need to logically justify? Its all subjective, there's no real reason.

I think Zatanna is hot, but she-Hulk is hotter

Fan Art # 10
#47 Posted by TeamUnitedNerds (402 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mighty Thorion said:

Is DC's resident attractive magician just pure eye candy or is she a serious player in the super hero stakes? Perhaps her new magazine will tell us!

JLD has turned her into a pretty serious powerhouse, and so has Young Justice, to a degree

#48 Posted by DarkDay (634 posts) - - Show Bio

@TeamUnitedNerds said:

@Mighty Thorion said:

JLD has turned her into a pretty serious powerhouse, and so has Young Justice, to a degree

I think she was always sort of a powerhouse, but she's sort of like Magik (or even Magneto to a degree) in my opinion. Her powerset is such that you tend to need very heavy hitting or specialized villains for her to not have to be written down in order for plots to work. Honestly that happens a lot to quite a few characters, but you get less of it in team books if you're the designated team powerhouse.

#49 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

Both.

#50 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13273 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkDay said:

@TeamUnitedNerds said:

@Mighty Thorion said:

I think she was always sort of a powerhouse, but she's sort of like Magik (or even Magneto to a degree) in my opinion. Her powerset is such that you tend to need very heavy hitting or specialized villains for her to not have to be written down in order for plots to work. Honestly that happens a lot to quite a few characters, but you get less of it in team books if you're the designated team powerhouse.

this.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.