silkcuts's Zatanna: Everyday Magic #1 - TPB review

• silkcuts wrote this review on .
  • silkcuts has written a total of 726 reviews. The last one was for

Read this for a Zatanna Fix not a John Constantine Fix

This book is a rare release that saw Zatanna in the Vertigo world.  Fanboys rejoice!  Everyone's favorite magical eye candy now told in an Adult story.

This is a great Zatanna story.  You can see Paul Dini's love for the Character.  He makes her strong! He makes her fearless!  He makes her a led in a series, something that wasn't seen for a long time.

This story seemed like a Hellblazer script in reverse, it is not told in John Constantine's prospective, but Zatanna's.  This unfortunately miss represents John Constantine.  He is not a babbling Drunk womanizer all the time, he is just a womanizer.  John Constantine, the master of bad luck, gets a hex on him and asks Zatanna to help.  John Constantine is not playing the damsel in distress and not the con-artist he is known to be.  This plot makes it play out like a comedy, everyone is out of character it seems.  Even Zatanna is a harder character because his is not restrained to the pages of the DCU and the more mainstream fans expectations.

Rick Mays interior art was quite easy to follow.  The script Paul Dini created for him was not as text heavy as other books.  I didn't like Brian Bolland's cover to be honest.  Zee looks all legs and no trunk to me and is it just me or is the left arm to short?

The fact that John Constantine is extremely out of Character I have to remove 1 star.  The story itself is Fun, not not worth a full 4 remaining star rating, so I will give it a 3.5 out of 5.   Read this for a Zatanna Fix not a John Constantine Fix

*Cheers*