duo_forbidden's Zatanna #8 - Pupaphobia review

"...Puppets."

Zee starts to confront her greatest fear--Puppets.

Pros:
Oh Zatanna. When I was a kid, I was terrified of a puppet called Slappy on the TV show Goosebumps, so I can see where she's coming from with her being afraid of puppets. Surely there's have to be some reason to why she's afraid of puppets. The humor is still there with Dini introducing a magical therapist and a funny story with Zee's fears (I still wonder how Zee was able to

This gives Oscar another reason to be a grouch.

appear on a kids show wearing her usual outfit). There are some surprises in store in this issue, and one of them involves Zee's father (Seriously, even when he's dead, this guy always play some kind of role).

Cons:
The pacing comes off very slow almost making it seem that this is a single story issue than a continuation to the next issue. Luckily, there will be another part to this.

I'm a bit mixed on Cliff Chiang's artwork. On one hand, it has that retro like look to it. On top of that, Zee doesn't come off as being a bimbo. Maybe I'm still getting use to random artists appearing in this series so frequently.

Overall: A rough start, but I'm glad Paul Dini is back on helm with Zatanna. I wonder how Zee will get out of her predicament.