Follow

Youngblood

Team » Youngblood appears in 219 issues.

Youngblood is a team of superheroes formed by the United States government to be the next generation of heroes.

Are You Ready? A Youngblood Movie Directed By Brett Ratner

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    I have mixed feelings about this.  Is a live-action Youngblood movie a good idea?  Are people going to want to see it?  I'm not going to get into the debate over Rob Liefeld's art style or character issues.  I didn't mind Youngblood all that much.  The idea behind Youngblood was a team of superheroes run by the government.  They also have celebrity status.  Liefeld has claimed that if superheroes existed in the real world, that is how they would be treated.  I have to agree.  People would look to them as they do movie stars and athletes.

Back to the question, is a Youngblood movie a good idea?  Us comic book readers know all about Youngblood.  The average movie-goer probably won't.  It's not a crucial factor.  Take a movie like "Wanted."  It was a success but the chances are, most people hadn't heard of the comic by Top Cow before seeing the movie.

So why Youngblood and why now?  Variety is reporting that the rights for Youngblood were picked up for a "mid six figures."  That doesn't seem like a lot.  It has a franchise factor if done properly.  Ratner's comment perhaps answers the "why" part.
    “Most of the great graphic novels are gone, and ‘Youngblood’ is one of the few comicbooks left with tentpole potential.  It was a real personal passion project for me, and a lot of people wanted (‘Youngblood’).”
    I do have to say that my other concerns fall on the fact that Ratner will be directing this.  Why?  "X-Men: The Last Stand."  Whenever the movie comes up, it seems as if everyone was put off by it.  I've said numerous times that it would have been a good movie if it wasn't called "X-Men."  I didn't like how so many of the characters were handled or killed.  It just seemed like a bad idea for a franchise property.  You can't make such extreme decisions over characters that are loved by so many.  Maybe that blame falls on the writers more than just Ratner?  Who knows. 

The good thing about X3 is it shows that Ratner can direct a big superhero movie.  Maybe having him in charge of Youngblood is a good idea.  If it's true that he is "passionate" about them, he'll do them justice.  And since he has done a superhero movie, he shouldn't have any problem doing another one and may have learned from any past mistakes.  It'll be interesting to see how this goes and how it is received.

What do you think?  Are you looking forward to the idea of Youngblood on the big screen?
    mrenb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mrenb

First, about X-3:  I've been thinking along those same lines, that the blame does go to the writer(s) of that movie, not just the director.  However, Ratner should have realized, like you said, that killing off so many important and beloved characters was a big mistake--unless there is a plan to "resurrect" them.   It happens in comics all the time. 

Back to Youngblood.  Hmm.  I don't know.  I think a movie about this title actually has potential.  While I'm still not keen about Ratner, Liefeld's comic was well liked for some time.  Can't say I ever got into it, but all I can say is that is has potential. 

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2  Edited By Zoom

Yeah, it shows Ratner can direct a big crappy superhero movie.  Which makes him perfect to work on a big crappy project like Youngblood.

Sorry.  I wouldn't go see a movie based on characters both created by Liefield and ripped off from Teen Titans if it was directed by Spielberg.  Throw in a hack director like Brett Ratner and you have a recipe for failure.

EDIT:
    How do you "do justice" to something that was absolutely awful in the first place?

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By xerox_kitty

I feel sorry for Ratner.  If I remember rightly he was brought in to Last Stand very late in production.  It's like you said, if it wasn't an X-Men movie, then it would have been a fantastic action movie... and if you ask me he did a great job with all the pieces he was left to play with.  Otherwise it was bloody awful, doesn't resemble anything X-Men and I disown it :p  But I don't blame Ratner :)

As for Youngblood... I've never been tempted by the comic.  It's so unappealing.  There are soooo many more different comics I'd rather see transformed into movies.   But I guess after the successes of last year's comic films, and the undoubted success that the Watchmen will be then all the smaller and lesser known franchises are going to creep onto celluloid first :(
    King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By King_Saturn
    sighs

Well I guess the Good Time are really gonna roll now...
    fanbla72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fanbla72

Youngblood has enough originality to be worthy of a film. why the hell not?

hey, as far as i'm concerned, ANY superhero film is a good film. better than nothing. i even enjoyed me some Ghost Rider. the more the merrier.

i really don't understand all the hate for films like Last Stand. its not that hard to accept that films will have an alternative take and approach to characters. is it? its like some fans have some weird ownership and control issues, or something. if they look good and don't have annoying actors and the dialogue is not impossibly bad, i'm in.

as for comics, other than superhero books, being adapted to film, my opinion is that Wanted represents a case-study on how to completely balls it up in an attempt to produce something for non-comic heads.

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zoom
    fanbla72 said:
    "Youngblood has enough originality to be worthy of a film."
    Just because something is original (and make no mistake, Youngblood isn't original.  Shaft for instance is clearly Arsenal from when Liefield was supposed to write for Titans), doesn't make it good or worthy of being made into a film.
    fanbla72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fanbla72

b'ah. rubbish. by that logic nothing beyond superman and batman should be made into a film.

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zoom

Because Superman and Batman are the only good heroes?
    Are you high?

How did you go from the statements:
    Youngblood sucks
    Youngblood is not original

to the statement:
    Only Batman and Superman deserve movies?

Avatar image for bushimi_natsumo
    Bushimi_Natsumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Bushimi_Natsumo

I havent read Youngblood in YEARS but i wouldnt mind to see a movie. just maybe not Ratner but we will all see how it turns out

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By gunswordfist

I've never heard of Youngblood but I'm still less than a year old as a comic book fan. Anyway, it sounds good and I do have faith in Ratner. X3 was MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the dull X2. Yes X3 did make way too many mistakes though, but I heard the script was finalized before they got Ratner on the movie so its not his fault. The only concern I have is Rush Hour 3 sucked. That means that Ratner could be losing his touch as a director and that's not good. We already have too many hasbeen directors these days (George Lucas, George Romero, etc.)

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Generally, the more comic movies the better, I think. Better for the comics industry that is, whatever spurs sales, works for me. Youngblood could be good if done over the top with big visuals and stupid, ridiculous violence that Ratner could pull off. One good thing about something like Youngblood is beyond the basic premise, there's not a whole lot of history to the team or characters that will turn people off if they retcon stuff in the film like all the random characters thrown into X3 in a nonsensical way did (for me at least). 

I'm not really a fan of Ratner since the only films i've seen him do were mediocre third sequels to franchises but i'm open to seeing what he can do. There were some things he did visually well in X3, some that definitely could have been done better, here's hoping he learned from that and can do better this time around.

The only reason I really find myself skeptical is vague memories from the 90s of a couple Liefeld properties being tossed between movie studios, Tom Cruise and Will Smith, something having to do with the Doom's IV series or some other property that never saw the light of day. That happens often in Hollywood, which makes this kind of hype hard for me to get excited about. 
    Catracio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Catracio

Well This news leaves me skeptically intrigued. Ratner has proved himself by far and he would be an excellent choice. Youngblood is a successful Image name to work with. now what leaves me skeptical is The Spawn movie. It was a questionable movie production in parts was gritty but that might have been it's best selling point for me. However Spawn was a single 2 character plaot for the most part: Spawn and Violator the classic spawn story. Youngblood would have to capture several different characters. I just dont think that it would turn out right. Image should do a few more movies with thier solo characters then, do maybe Gen 13. I mean start soft and move up that how gritty things work, and Image if not original is defintely ahead of the game when it comes to gritty, sexy, bad ass wise cracking, big gun haven, Awesome comics.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Maybe there's still a chance to see Youngblood movie - if the new adaptation of Spawn will be popular.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.