Follow

Young X-Men

Team » Young X-Men appears in 94 issues.

The X-Men have been reassembled by Cyclops in the final genesis to protect mutantkind from its own. They are possibly the last generation of X-Men.

Youth of the X-Men Apearances: May Update

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

Edited By jordama

If not a true Jordama follower, it is okay, you have just made a poor life decision.
    But if you are, you probably have seen my list devoted to the young/new X-men. The list has 30 of the characters that I defined as the X-Kids. For a long time I was not sure how or what method would be the best way to rank them, alphabetical seemed lazy for me. So I decided to rank them by the number of appearances they have.  I update this every month so I can see how the kids appearances have changed month to month. I just finished the update and I thought I would share some of the more interesting details that I have noticed from the update.

Top 5

Some basic details that came out of the creation of the list was the top five. In my mind I would like to think the top five are the most influential of the young students. What surprised me was who the top 5 were. 5-3 are the three living cuckoos. That shocked me a little until I really thought about how long they have been around compared to the other students, so makes sense. In second place, the real shocker, Rockslide! Wait what? Rockslide has appeared in an outstanding 233 issues since being created in 2003. And the number one spot is, not surprising, X-23. She has been so out there for so long, she is the clear front runner having just cleared the 300 issue mark.

Big Jumpers

There were two characters that had a huge jump in the number of appearances since last month. X-23 is the first. She jumped 20 issues since last month. Again, not that surprising considering her own on going and appearances in Wolverine's and Daken's books. The BIG jump and I mean huge was a thirty issue jump done by, drum roll, DUST! She jumped from 160 to 190 in one month. Not only that she jumped from 12th place to 8th. Now surpassing Surge and Anole and knocking Armor out of the top 10.

Bottom Five

The bottom five are clearly the least used, but it isn't really that big of an insult. 26th is Cipher the Young X-Men that hasn't done anything since that book was cancelled, except for the occasional cameo. 27th-29th are three of the Five lights that are included in the list. They have only existed for less than a year, they are allowed to have less than 20 appearances. And last place, and one of my favorites, is Crosta. Doesn't sound familiar? That's because he only appeared 3 times, and one was a reprinting.

I hope this has been informative, Thanks if you read it :) 
    PS if you think this type of blog is useless, let me know and I wont do it again. I think it is interesting to see but I might be alone.
    Zaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 67

#1  Edited By Zaber

This is really interesting. That is great. I dont think your blog is useless. I just learn the existence of Crosta by now. I never heard of the name Crosta. I will look it up. =) I like your blog. =)
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jordama
    @Zaber said:
    This is really interesting. That is great. I dont think your blog is useless. I just learn the existence of Crosta by now. I never heard of the name Crosta. I will look it up. =) I like your blog. =)
    Thanks A lot. And I like Crosta so I am happy to raise awareness of him.
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jordama

In the future I will graphs

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty

This is an interesting twist on things. Shocking how many appearances some characters make... But the Cuckoos is a bit disappointing.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By IrishX
    @jordama: I just want to say that you should keep in mind that the appearances are not exactly accurate on this site. I think the wiki here is great and I'm sure the numbers are close but they are not exact. Also I'm curious at to what you used in determining who qualifies as one of the "young x-men".  
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jordama
    @xerox-kitty: I expected Hellion, surge or Anole, not the Cuckoos. But they had a lot of background appearances too.

@IrishX: Do you mean not accurate as in thaey are added into the wrong issues or that we double coubnt a lot of appearances because of trades and background appearances? Even if they are only makeing background appearances that can make a character slowly come back to the forefront of comics.

When looking at the young X-Men, The list is the mutants that are still not considered the real full time X-Men. The ones under twenty that are either still taking classes and/or need more training. I think all the survives from the squad system are counted, X-23 is still on because of her age, Elixir is still there despite being off the island right now (He is going to come back and I don't want to loss the numbers), Hope is still on the list because of her age, along with The three lights that have confirmed ages (Kenji and Teon have not been given an age as far as I know so I am not adding them to the list), Graymalkin and Cipher are on the list because of being on the actual Young X-Men team, and the last place Crosta is on the list because he is confirmed to be living under the island and Namor said that he was going to bring him to the X-Men to learn about his abilities. If you want to argue about who is on the list I am more than okay with it or if you want to suggest someone for the list I am fine.
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By IrishX
    @jordama: Oh I'm certainly not on this site to argue I assure you. Was more just curious how you chose them.

As for the appearances thing yes I was talking about double counts because of trades and such but it's not only that. While I agree having characters in the backround is better than nothing at all I think there are plenty of times where it's debatable as to what should count as an appearance. I'm sure the X-Men characters are even more accurate than most but there are plenty of holes on this site where for instance there are issues who have no characters at all credited to them or people assume wrongly that a character has made an appearance. 

Like I said I'm sure it's very close but I just wanted to point out it's not exact is all. Good job on the list and it's def. an interesting topic.
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jordama

I will probably update the list later this month but unless something really cool happens, I wont make another blog.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.