What led to Robin becoming Nightwing?

#1 Edited by Jodez (150 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure most of us knows Nightwing's origin story. Dick Grayson as Robin was spending a little too much time out of Gotham with the Teen Titans for Batman's liking and when he was late in helping Bats take on Clayface (As seen in Nightwing: Year One) that was the final straw causing Bruce to not only fire him but also making him give up the Robin identity. Dick then explored his roots for a while and had a talk with Superman which inspired him to branch out on his own and become Nightwing.

In Young Justice though, there's been no mention of the Teen Titans and I'm pretty sure that the team doesn't exist (I could be wrong). Not only that though but Batman himself is the YJ team's commander giving them missions and assigning roles etc. So obviously if Batman's the one giving out the missions he can't be upset or surprised that Robin's not always gonna be around because he himself is the one that sent him away. In some episodes not involving Robin the rest of the team (usually Wally) specifically says they're off being the "Dynamic Duo" so it's not like he didn't help out anymore.This means there would have to be a different reason for Robin becoming Nightwing other than him 'being fired for not being around enough'.

So what could be the cause of him going from Robin to Nightwing in the YJ universe? Was he still fired? What was the reason? If it was for the 'not being around enough' reason then why is Tim Drake also a part of YJ?

Hopefully all this will be answered soon.

#2 Posted by Kweschun_Mark (29 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember in the episode after Miss Martian brain-freaked everyone in the trianing exercise. Robin said something to Black Canary about not wanting to become Batman. That wasn't the way he wanted to a hero or what have you. Essentially building on the fact that Dick Grayson at the age of 13 already recognized that when he got older, if he continued being a superhero, he didn't want to be the 'Next Batman'.

#3 Posted by Jodez (150 posts) - - Show Bio

Well sure but then he could've just kept on being Robin... In the comics he only gave up being Robin because Bruce made him

#4 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio

He got drafted to the Majors is what I think. As Robin he was B-Squad and proved himself. Now his Nightwinging it on the A-Squad.

Moderator
#5 Posted by xerozeven (12 posts) - - Show Bio

In Batman: The Animated Series, Robin became Nightwing due to a falling out between Bruce and Dick. In The Batman and in Teen Titans, Robin becomes Nightwing without any explanation. I don't think the writers are going to make a big deal about why Robin became Nightwing for YJ.

My guess is that Dick's progression as a leader and as more than just Batman's sidekick is what drove him to become Nightwing in this series. Considering how close-knit the whole Bat Family is in this series, I doubt there was any serious past conflict between any of them. I love it though. I like that the Bat Family "just works" in this series, and they don't have any of the drama that the other character families have.

#6 Posted by Lt_Smash (44 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with Gambler on this one. He was probably deemed league worthy for this plot and chose to stay on as the team leader but donned the mantle of Nightwing. Also I will say that towards the end of season one he did start to function more on his own than with Batman which could have led Batman to tell him to find himself a new identity because he is his own man.

#7 Posted by wondergirl246 (27 posts) - - Show Bio

There doesn't seem to be any bad blod between Dick and Bruce from what little we've seen, hence I'm inclined to agree with the "promotion" angle.

#8 Posted by Jodez (150 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they have a Nightwing centric episode would love an answer but you guys are probably right

#9 Posted by RedHoodJT (527 posts) - - Show Bio

I just dig the fact that he's in the show as Nightwing now and that Tim is Robin in this case. It was just the right direction to go. Promote Dick to Nightwing and bring in Tim to fill as Robin thus giving us both Nightwing and Robin in the same show.

#10 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2222 posts) - - Show Bio

Based on how the dynamic is, I'm going to assume that Bruce picked up Tim while Dick was still Robin and Dick decided to pass on the identity to the newbie and he took on a new identity himself. That's assuming that they skipped Jason, which could or could not be possible depending on how you interpret Dick telling Tim not to die in the first episode.

#11 Posted by DC_LegacyMan (16 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad they didn't simply throw him off to the side having replaced him as robin with Tim, instead they made him leader (with the absence/leave of Aqualad)

I was pleasantly surprised to see him having taken on the Nightwing persona with the second season starting up. I hope they continue to develop the character and not just keep him as a leader 'figurehead' type

#12 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure but there's two options or they talk about that on the videogame or in flashbacks during a episode, most probably first option

@ThanosIsMad said:

Based on how the dynamic is, I'm going to assume that Bruce picked up Tim while Dick was still Robin and Dick decided to pass on the identity to the newbie and he took on a new identity himself. That's assuming that they skipped Jason, which could or could not be possible depending on how you interpret Dick telling Tim not to die in the first episode.

Yeah I agree with this, but I doubt Jason even existed, that will be very interesting to see but probabilities doesn't help much :/ (At start Dick had 13, now is supposed to have 18 he might became Nightwing around his 16 so two robins in 2 years doesn't seem probable, I think he was talking about Tula who died in a mission that probably he was commanding)

#13 Posted by Exia009 (75 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedOwl_1 said:

Yeah I agree with this, but I doubt Jason even existed, that will be very interesting to see but probabilities doesn't help much :/ (At start Dick had 13, now is supposed to have 18 he might became Nightwing around his 16 so two robins in 2 years doesn't seem probable

Any more probable than having 4 in 5 years, like the New 52 timeline? :p

I don't think Todd is going to make an appearance because he's not relevant, not because Weismen and Vietti don't have the minerals to put him out there. Unless there's a sort of Batfamily centric episode where he can be the villain, but that would be almost entirely centered around Batman and his relationship with Todd, which doesn't fit the bill for this series.

#14 Posted by vernierhawk001 (534 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey everyone, I'm new here...want to add my first "two cents." I also don't think Todd will make it into this series. They would have to delve too much into the Batman story and I don't think they have room for that this season.

SN: When are we going to get to see Dick do some real fighting this season?

#15 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2222 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedOwl_1 said:

I'm not sure but there's two options or they talk about that on the videogame or in flashbacks during a episode, most probably first option

@ThanosIsMad said:

Based on how the dynamic is, I'm going to assume that Bruce picked up Tim while Dick was still Robin and Dick decided to pass on the identity to the newbie and he took on a new identity himself. That's assuming that they skipped Jason, which could or could not be possible depending on how you interpret Dick telling Tim not to die in the first episode.

Yeah I agree with this, but I doubt Jason even existed, that will be very interesting to see but probabilities doesn't help much :/ (At start Dick had 13, now is supposed to have 18 he might became Nightwing around his 16 so two robins in 2 years doesn't seem probable, I think he was talking about Tula who died in a mission that probably he was commanding)

Bruce picking up Jason and him dying with the five year period fits just fine. Jason would just end up being a year younger than Dick, or maybe even the same age. Besides, prior to the DC reboot, the five year gap was how long it was between Jason as Robin and Jason as Red Hood anyway. It's still possible, but it's not relevant for the show.

#16 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

He got older and was sick of being the sidekick yet at the same time wanted to forge his own identity.

#17 Edited by haydenclaireheroes (9068 posts) - - Show Bio

My guess they are going to tell the same story they told in Batman the Animated Series. Dick got tired of living in Batman's shadow so he wanted to make his own identity for himself. So, he became Nightwing

Online
#18 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

@haydenclaireheroes said:

My guess they are going to tell the same story they told in Batman the Animated Series. Dick got tired of living in Batman's shadow so he wanted to make his own identity for himself. So, he became Nightwing

#19 Posted by jorok_goldblade (69 posts) - - Show Bio

I get the impression Tim is very new to the role of Robin. The tone of his interactions with Dick in the season premiere seem to imply that he was still very inexperience and uncertain when assigned to lead Gamma Squad.

ON a side note, I also have the strong impression that the reason Wally was chosen to be the retired one is because he never had his own adult identity- he went straight from Kid Flash to taking up the Flash mantle. If we see Wally ever again in the comics or in costume on this show, he will need a new code name.

#20 Posted by johnnythejokingnightwing (3 posts) - - Show Bio

When batman took in jaason todd befoe je died duing the 5 year gap jason wanted to help batman but didnt know how so dick gave him the robin persona and branched out on his own as nightwing and when jason died tim took over thats what i think

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.