Superboy's Tactile Tekekinesis

#1 Posted by gerrylum (25 posts) - - Show Bio

At the end of issue 16 of the YJ tie in comic book, there is a profile of Superboy and tactile telekinesis is listed among his powers. Is this just a typo/mistake, or could it possibly be that Kon will be developing TTK in the series??

#2 Posted by ckenn99 (33 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't that a power he had in the comics? It would certainly be interesting to see him have it on the show, but I don't know if it is exactly neccessary with MM on the team.

#3 Edited by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

Tactile telekinesis was originally the basis of his limited abilities: Sort of a handicap for his lack of full on kryptonian powers. TTK can simulate a few abilities, such as strength, jumping ability, limited enhanced durability, etc. It's more unique utility is that it allows him to extend a field around and through objects around him. Not for the purposes of cutting, exactly, so much as disassembly.

#4 Posted by gerrylum (25 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm talking about the Young Justice comic that is a tie-in to the cartoon series. In the back of issue 16 that came out a few months ago there is a bio of Superboy for the cartoon that lists Tactile Telekinesis as one of his powers. I can scan it in if you want.

#5 Edited by Duct4pe (18 posts) - - Show Bio

@gerrylum: Well Superboy has always had a form of mental power. In the "Depths" episode of the series Superboy says that he was able to tell that Miss Martian had tried to tamper with his mind so this may be hinting at his meltal powers have begun to develop.

#6 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

@gerrylum: Was it counted among other abilities, or was it his only ability? I didn't even know there WAS a tie-in comic series.

#7 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

@Duct4pe said:

@gerrylum: Well Superboy has always had a form of telekenesis. In the "Depths" episode of the series Superboy says that he was able to tell that Miss Martian had tried to tamper with his mind so this may be hinting at his meltal powers have begun to develop.

But that would be more along the lines of telepathy and not telekinesis, but maybe I'm nitpicking...lol

Anyways, i wouldn't rule it out, the comics are considered canon so...

#8 Posted by gerrylum (25 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

@gerrylum: Was it counted among other abilities, or was it his only ability? I didn't even know there WAS a tie-in comic series.

Yeah, it was listed as "Tactile Telekinesis, Super Strength, Invulnerability" plus it had his other powers. I've attached it to this message.

#9 Posted by Duct4pe (18 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bestostero: My bad, anyway he has always had some form of mental power. Considering that he was only 6 weeks old when he was taken out of Cadmus ( I might be wrong about this dont take this as fact just speculation) he may be developing his powers on his own (instead of receiving lessons from the Genomorphs). He might even be developing other powers such as flight (still speculation).

#10 Posted by papad1992 (6831 posts) - - Show Bio

@gerrylum said:

@JonSmith said:

Yeah, it was listed as "Tactile Telekinesis, Super Strength, Invulnerability" plus it had his other powers. I've attached it to this message.

Funny how his intelligence is so low...! :P

#11 Posted by cattlebattle (12820 posts) - - Show Bio
@gerrylum said:

At the end of issue 16 of the YJ tie in comic book, there is a profile of Superboy and tactile telekinesis is listed among his powers. Is this just a typo/mistake, or could it possibly be that Kon will be developing TTK in the series??

Its wrong....there is several points of information about several characters that are incorrect
#12 Posted by gatoradexy (10 posts) - - Show Bio

i think he should be able to fly through the use of a flight ring given to him after being taken to the future by the legion of superheroes. I personally dont think they need the tact telekinesis for the show.

#13 Posted by beautifulrevery (1508 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm thinking that he just hasn't developed Kryptonian abilities yet being so "young" and only having half kryptonian DNA. He did display all Kryptonian abilities in the first episode but proceeded to lose them almost immediately probably due to being bombarded with yellow sun radiation for his entire life. He may not be a fully developed "solar battery" yet and TTK could quite possibly be from being a Genomorph and he's naturally using that to supplement his bodies abilities.

#14 Posted by stephens2177 (1044 posts) - - Show Bio

he did  NOT have anymore kryptonian abilities than he has now. 

i would love for the "suppressed" kryptonian dna be shown to be "mutated" dna,that way they can give him TTK,so he can fly,and be a full kryptoniansequal.

#15 Posted by Oscars94 (2562 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I prefer Superboy with just Strength, Durability and be able to jump tall buildings at a single bound. A character with limitations is an interesting one.

#16 Posted by Nightwing4 (366 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the Genomorph theory. I think as such he should have TTK.

Hopefully enough to put Me'gann in her place :D

#17 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

I still don't fully understand "tactile telekinesis". So he can "move things by touching them"? Except moreso than normal? Doesn't that just mean super strength?

@Nightwing4 said:

I like the Genomorph theory. I think as such he should have TTK.

Hopefully enough to put Me'gann in her place :D

I don't think she needs to be "put in her place," but hopefully there will be some sort of reconciliation and she'll get some perspective on the brutal use of her powers.

#18 Posted by gerrylum (25 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: @fodigg said:

I still don't fully understand "tactile telekinesis". So he can "move things by touching them"? Except moreso than normal? Doesn't that just mean super strength?

It's exactly the same as regular telekinesis, but he needs to be in physical contact with the object in order to manipulate it. It's not the same as super-strength because the telekinetic field that surrounds his body expands and surrounds the object he's lifting/manipulating which can, for example, keep it from crumbling under its own weight. He once lifted the Taj Mahal (ok, it wasn't the Taj Mahal, but it was basically the same size/design), which, if he was just using super strength, would have structurally broken apart.

He can also use his field to penetrate mechanical items and cause them to explode - he once expanded his field throughout the entire Los Angeles area disassembling every gun. He can also expand his field around another person, lending his invulnerability to them.

With tactile telekinesis you could lift Lex Luthor's super yacht simply by touching it with your pinky finger. In the comics, Superboy's clone Match had such great control over his TTK field, that he could manipulate the light waves that interacted with his TK field, bending them around his body, thus making himself invisible.

#19 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@gerrylum said:

@fodigg: @fodigg said:

It's exactly the same as regular telekinesis, but he needs to be in physical contact with the object in order to manipulate it. ...

With tactile telekinesis you could lift Lex Luthor's super yacht simply by touching it with your pinky finger. ...

Okay, so not much effective difference unless it's turned up to 11, like with the Match example. That makes sense, but it does seem like a roundabout way to arrive at what is essentially the same powerset. Oh well, though.

#20 Posted by gerrylum (25 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

Okay, so not much effective difference unless it's turned up to 11, like with the Match example. That makes sense, but it does seem like a roundabout way to arrive at what is essentially the same powerset. Oh well, though.

Perhaps, though USUALLY standard telekinesis is represented to be fairly weak by comparison, unless you're at Phoneix-level strength. Superboy was shown to be able to do things with his tactile-TK without breaking a sweat that a normal TKer would probably have to strain pretty hard to do, or be unable to do at all. This is probably to make up for the fact that he has to be in physical contact with it, and also so that his TTK could adequately mimic kryptonian super strength.

It was also shown that as SB got older, his TTK would develop into regular TK as well. And although it was never specifically stated, I would guess that he would not be as strong using regular TK as he would be with his TTK.

#21 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@gerrylum said:

It was also shown that as SB got older, his TTK would develop into regular TK as well. And although it was never specifically stated, I would guess that he would not be as strong using regular TK as he would be with his TTK.

I think this is what confused me. The whole "touchdown" attack the evil-future version of him would do in the Titans of Tomorrow storyline (or whatever that arc was called in John's Teen Titans) didn't require touch at all. So it just seemed like powerful, close-proximity TK. And then with the new 52 Superboy it still seems more "close range" than "tactile".

#22 Posted by gerrylum (25 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg:

Yep, it's certainly seemed that writers have played pretty fast-and-loose with his TTK over the past few years.

#23 Posted by stephens2177 (1044 posts) - - Show Bio

this is very easy to understand,he has TTK,which does many things,and on different levels. 
he has full TK,so anything a normal TK user can do,he can do too 
he has tactile TK,which allows him to focus and make his TK stronger,this allows him to mimkc strength,durability,and flight speed on a kryptonian level,but also has a better control over things he actually touches,like wondergirls armor last teen titans issue. 
he also now has a tactile sense,which means anything his TTK can make contact with he can see,learn,and react from,he can use it to scan a entire island,or breakdown the contents of a alcohol mixed drink,he can also use it to match barts speed and catch karas fist while speed blitzing. 
so the short answer is when he is floating in mid air not touching anything,his TTK acts like plain full TK,but when he can make contact with something he becomes all physically powerful and can perceive everything.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.