Follow

Young Justice

Team » Young Justice appears in 268 issues.

Young Justice started as another legacy team consisting of a generation of sidekicks younger than the original Teen Titans lineup. Like the Teen Titans, they would eventually increase membership beyond sidekicks and make a name for themselves beyond their mentors.

Has DC lost the rights to the milestone cast?

• 77 results
    Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 48

Edited By Black_Claw

There have been a lot of rumors swirling around why Cartoon Network pulled DC Nation at the last second this past weekend. But one rumor in particular that has caught my interest is the rumor that DC has lost the rights to Static and the rest of the characters originally from Milestone Media, many of whom were created by the late, great, Dwayne Mcduffie.

No Caption Provided

Four Color Media Moniter reports people from Mcduffie's estate have fought and won the rights of the milestone Characters from DC Comics and there might be further evidence to support this, judging from this quote from Scott Lobdell in an interview asking if Static will join the Teen Titans:

When asked whether there was a chance of seeing Static Shock in "Teen Titans,” Lobdell replied, “Nothing would make me happier.” However, he said "legal issues" prevent the characters from joining the title.

Uh oh. And as I said before, some people are now thinking that this rumor is the reason Young Justice is on hiatus yet again because Icon and Rocket are characters in the show and Static has appeared as a character in the recent Young Justice episode "Before the Dawn" which was released on iTunes after the show was put on hiatus by Cartoon Network without warning.

If this rumor happens to be true then I can't say I'm surprised. DC has barely even tried using any of the Milestone Characters ever since the DC/Milestone merger. And while they have used Static and have given him his famous cartoon series, they haven't treated him that well either. This is especially evident in his new 52 comic which was absolutely terrible. What's even worse is that DC rejected ideas for the comic from John Rozum, who was a close friend of Dwayne Mcduffie, and instead approved of ideas from Scott Mcdaniel. And it's painfully obvious from the comic that Mcdaniel didn't know a thing about the character, leading to a crappy comic that could've been so much more.

If Static and the rest of the Milestone cast are truly leaving the DC universe, I'll personally be sad to see them go, but I'll also be happy once another publishing company picks them up and gives them the respect they rightfully deserve. What are your thoughts on all of this?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cattlebattle

NO!! 

1.They already gave DC animation the go ahead for the characters
    2. Why would this effect the DC Nation shorts and Green Lantern?? Neither have any Milestone characters...they could have easily ran like 20 some odd YJ repeats that don't have any Milestone characters
    3. Static wasn't even named in this  weeks episode, so, no legal issue there

I wouldn't be surprised if all of this had to do with Cartoon Network just being idiots.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Twentyfive

I doubt it. I hope not too. Just last week DC's Jim Lee was asked whether we'd see Static and the Milestone characters in other books, and Lee said that they are all having a meeting to see what to do with them.

But if it is true, then I sincerely doubt we'll see those characters again. We should see more indie Static books, and a new Static cartoon.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By joshmightbe

The guys in charge of Milestone would've had to agree to the use of the characters before they even started making an episode so that isn't the issue

jasontodd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jasontodd7

i hate those legal issues with the characters.. DC lose them everytime, either they have bad lawyers or what?

And yes, why this would affect Green Lantern?

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BlackWind

Part of me doesn't even care because DC hasn't even been using Static properly.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By joshmightbe

@jasontodd7: This couldn't be the issue because they would've had to approve their use before the people who make the show even write these characters into the script. At most they'd have to write them out of next season

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#7  Edited By krspaceT

@Black_Claw said:

There have been a lot of rumors swirling around why Cartoon Network pulled DC Nation at the last second this past weekend. But one rumor in particular that has caught my interest is the rumor that DC has lost the rights to Static and the rest of the characters originally from Milestone Media, many of whom were created by the late, great, Dwayne Mcduffie.

No Caption Provided

Four Color Media Moniter reports people from Mcduffie's estate have fought and won the rights of the milestone Characters from DC Comics and there might be further evidence to support this, judging from this quote from Scott Lobdell in an interview asking if Static will join the Teen Titans:

When asked whether there was a chance of seeing Static Shock in "Teen Titans,” Lobdell replied, “Nothing would make me happier.” However, he said "legal issues" prevent the characters from joining the title.

Uh oh. And as I said before, some people are now thinking that this rumor is the reason Young Justice is on hiatus yet again because Icon and Rocket are characters in the show and Static has appeared as a character in the recent Young Justice episode "Before the Dawn" which was released on iTunes after the show was put on hiatus by Cartoon Network without warning.

If this rumor happens to be true then I can't say I'm surprised. DC has barely even tried using any of the Milestone Characters ever since the DC/Milestone merger. And while they have used Static and have given him his famous cartoon series, they haven't treated him that well either. This is especially evident in his new 52 comic which was absolutely terrible. What's even worse is that DC rejected ideas for the comic from John Rozum, who was a close friend of Dwayne Mcduffie, and instead approved of ideas from Scott Mcdaniel. And it's painfully obvious from the comic that Mcdaniel didn't know a thing about the character, leading to a crappy comic that could've been so much more.

If Static and the rest of the Milestone cast are truly leaving the DC universe, I'll personally be sad to see them go, but I'll also be happy once another publishing company picks them up and gives them the respect they rightfully deserve. What are your thoughts on all of this?

Link?

tahmidk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tahmidk

i hope DC loses the rights considering how they treated Dwanye Mcduffie, when i heard he died, my hate for DC went maximum. DC editorial are disgusting retards that its sickening, if i ever meet one i swear on g-man i will punch them straight in the face. DC have treated Dwayne and his the milestone characters like complete trash and dont deserve them

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Black_Claw

Yeah, sometimes I wonder why they even bothered merging with Milestone Media if they rarely to never used their characters.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BlackWind

It's about who makes good sales, that's what DC is interested in.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By EdBlank

I like Black characters and all, but isn't Icon just basically Superman? Rocket... energy projection/absorption... YAWN. Static is closest to being an actual original character but again: electromagnetic powers? sounds familiar...

MisterKetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MisterKetch

I still think this is the most likely possibility and if not this then I'm still inclined to believe its a legal issue, this happened way to suddenly. itunes and Amazon both released it and CN was running promos for it the day before it was supposed to air (not to mention my cable provider had the summary and episode title listed in that time slot) it sounds like DC CN or the WB (or all three) got some sort of cease and desist order having to do with something involving one or both of these shows and decided to pull the entire programming block with the hope that they can air the new episodes concurrently as they had planned.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By evilvegeta74

What?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By joshmightbe

@MisterKetch: It could very well be legal issues but they couldn't legally be asked to remove characters from the already finished episodes which they had already got permission to use even if DC lost the rights. They wouldn't be able to use them in any episodes after the already finished episodes were up but the finished product would be in the clear here.

MisterKetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MisterKetch

@joshmightbe:Not neccesarily. It could be the estate sued or is suing for financial reasons, maybe DC forgot to send in the check. Not to mention depending on how they lost the rights in the first place it doesn't matter if DC got some sort of approval to use the characters if milestone's estate is claiming shenanigans and got a judge to agree they could have gotten a cease and desist on airing the episodes. The fact is DC depending on there original agreement with Milestone comics might not have had the right to create an animated show with those characters.

It might not involve milestone at all but someone or some organization suing for any of a variety of reasons.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By joshmightbe

@MisterKetch: They would've had to have their permission before even considering putting those characters on the show.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By cameron83

@cattlebattle said:

NO!! 1.They already gave DC animation the go ahead for the characters 2. Why would this effect the DC Nation shorts and Green Lantern?? Neither have any Milestone characters...they could have easily ran like 20 some odd YJ repeats that don't have any Milestone characters 3. Static wasn't even named in this weeks episode, so, no legal issue there I wouldn't be surprised if all of this had to do with Cartoon Network just being idiots.

THIS,your basically saying that DC never really used them,the new 52 sucks,etc....It isn't even clear what the reason is.The new 52 static shock title was awesome by the way.And if it was because of milestone characters,they wouldn't remove Green lantern.And they did include as much milestone characters that could fit...What did you want them to do,make icon and superman unnecessarily fight in the 1st superman title.What good will that even do.In my opinion,the crossover sucked and severly weakened some of DC's best characters just to give them a free shot.But saying something sucks is just opinion,so...

(OR ATLEAST THAT IS WHAT I THINK YOU ARE SAYING)

MisterKetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MisterKetch

@joshmightbe:

In a perfect world yeah but shit happens when it comes to copyright and licenses there is a possibility that DC didn't get the appropriate permissions, and the estate was finally alerted to the copyright fraud. If the merger just split up they wouldn't have needed to get anyone's permission since the characters would have been part of DC's portfolio (which is why we got the Static Shock comic terrible as it might have been) Im not sure when the rights reverted back to them or how they were lost by DC but the estate could have won them back then filled for a stop on the show for copyright infringement. Its just conjecture though because like I said im inclined to believe this is for legal reasons because of the last second pulling of the plug on the show and this could fit that.

Genki_Sudo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Genki_Sudo

@EdBlank said:

I like Black characters and all, but isn't Icon just basically Superman? Rocket... energy projection/absorption... YAWN. Static is closest to being an actual original character but again: electromagnetic powers? sounds familiar...

No but thanks for letting us know you've never read anything with them in it

I hope DC loses them as from the jump when Milestone first started they've never shown any interest in using them

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By EdBlank

@Genki_Sudo : uh oh flame war. Buying Static number 1, Icon number 1, Harware number 1 (I think there may have been more that launched) when they came out in the 90s must have all been a dream.

WildStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WildStyle

@BlackWind said:

Part of me doesn't even care because DC hasn't even been using Static properly.

Yep. Until DC acts like they want to do Static some good, I'm not going to give a crap.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BlackWind

From what I hear, DC was only interested in Static in the first place, but they don't even make good use of him.

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By krspaceT

Sadly, they did remove Icon from a comic cover

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Black_Claw

And which comic cover was this?

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By krspaceT

@Black_Claw: The just released one.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#26  Edited By turoksonofstone

@tahmidk said:

i hope DC loses the rights considering how they treated Dwanye Mcduffie, when i heard he died, my hate for DC went maximum. DC editorial are disgusting retards that its sickening, if i ever meet one i swear on g-man i will punch them straight in the face. DC have treated Dwayne and his the milestone characters like complete trash and dont deserve them

this. lol this.

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By krspaceT

@turoksonofstone said:

@tahmidk said:

this. lol this.

Fundmenetal flaw here.....if they loose the rights to them they won't be published.

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By turoksonofstone

@krspaceT said:

@turoksonofstone said:

@tahmidk said:

this. lol this.

Fundmenetal flaw here.....if they loose the rights to them they won't be published.

says..who???

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By krspaceT

@turoksonofstone: The fact that Milestone is no longer publishing and if they did leave DC, I doubt they'd help them like they did before. Perhaps they could be like Verigo and have their characters exist in their own DC corner like they did with guys like Swamp Thing or Shade......

However, this forum is the only place I have seen this topic raised so I have to take it with a grain of salt

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By danhimself

@turoksonofstone said:

@tahmidk said:

this. lol this.

how exactly did they treat him badly? everything I've read about his time with DC was basically him trying to continually use characters that DC said no to....that happens to everyone

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By turoksonofstone

@krspaceT said:

@turoksonofstone: The fact that Milestone is no longer publishing and if they did leave DC, I doubt they'd help them like they did before. Perhaps they could be like Verigo and have their characters exist in their own DC corner like they did with guys like Swamp Thing or Shade......

However, this forum is the only place I have seen this topic raised so I have to take it with a grain of salt

DC/Marvel are not the only ones who publish comics. There are plenty of places for them to go.

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By turoksonofstone

@danhimself said:

@turoksonofstone said:

@tahmidk said:

this. lol this.

how exactly did they treat him badly? everything I've read about his time with DC was basically him trying to continually use characters that DC said no to....that happens to everyone

Do a little research and you will see it is true. They have treated others worse but whatever.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By danhimself

@turoksonofstone said:

@danhimself said:

@turoksonofstone said:

@tahmidk said:

this. lol this.

Do a little research and you will see it is true. They have treated others worse but whatever.

I did a little research and that's what I came up with....apparently a few of his JLA story lines had to be cut short because of Final Crisis and some of the characters that he wanted to use were off limits because of Final Crisis...I don't see how that's a real problem...it happens all of the time...we all know that the big 2 have their favorite writers where the rest of the writers have to pretty much bend to them...right now it's Geoff Johns, Lemiere, Morrison, and Snyder over at DC and Marvel has Hickman, Bendis, and Remender

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By krspaceT

@turoksonofstone: Marvel isn't that different with characters like Jubilee. I've read that several authors want to use her, but Marvel won't let them.

The point of DC and Marvel as major companies with a shared universe is to try and keep stories connected. So if the Hulk breaks a meteor, it was thrown at earth by Thanos or something. DC and Marvel have a board who tries to create the overall story of the verse and makes sure that the titles don't offend it.

It can be a good idea (Final Crisis, Blackest Night), bad idea (Seige, Secret Invasion) or still up for debate (Flashpoint, AVX)

They have a lot of characters to deal with. They have to try and fit them in, but there will be times where they chafe. They are still fitting the New 52 world together, there are problems still.

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By turoksonofstone

@danhimself said:

@turoksonofstone said:

@danhimself said:

@turoksonofstone said:

@tahmidk said:

this. lol this.

I did a little research and that's what I came up with....apparently a few of his JLA story lines had to be cut short because of Final Crisis and some of the characters that he wanted to use were off limits because of Final Crisis...I don't see how that's a real problem...it happens all of the time...we all know that the big 2 have their favorite writers where the rest of the writers have to pretty much bend to them...right now it's Geoff Johns, Lemiere, Morrison, and Snyder over at DC and Marvel has Hickman, Bendis, and Remender

Just after he passed away DC put out a Static book and made no acknowledgment of Dwayne's passing, no compensation to his survivors. The book just capitalized on his death. These Comic Book companies are built on the Blood, Sweat, and creativity of people who are discarded like used toilet tissue. I notice that trend with the writers too btw, A strong editor could fix that problem but Marvel and DC are controlled by non-comic execs..

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By krspaceT

@turoksonofstone: I read that said book was a one shot because Dwaine was originally supposed to do a static series

Now then, a point. If there was any legal trouble at all, unless it came out of the blue, how did rocket appear two weeks before in Satisfaction?

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By turoksonofstone

@krspaceT said:

@turoksonofstone: I read that said book was a one shot because Dwaine was originally supposed to do a static series

Now then, a point. If there was any legal trouble at all, unless it came out of the blue, how did rocket appear two weeks before in Satisfaction?

Not sure about Rocket, the Milestone properties, or any litigation that followed. Sure more info is online somewhere

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By krspaceT

Here's something, the last YJ comic mentioned the Collective, a group that Icon is connected to as mentioned in his DC debut. Its more mention that Joker got for his lack of JLU appearances anyway.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Black_Claw

Were they talking about the shadow cabinet?

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By krspaceT

@Black_Claw: No just the Collective.

ChrisLHanssen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ChrisLHanssen

In the Young Justice Season 2 episode 03 - Alienated, you see JLA and YJ members conversing with each other and 2 people were Icon and Rocket. Wonder Woman told Wonder Girl that Icon is going to be their "attorney" because Wonder Woman, Superman, Batman, Green Lantern John Stewart, Martian Manhunter, and Hawkgirl were accused of invading a planet before the Invasion took place go to stand trial to clear their names. So whats going to happen now if the rumor is true? How would they use Icon in the episode when they go stand trial if they show it? That episode was to be one of the future episodes.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Black_Claw

@ChrisLHanssen: Are you serious? Now I'm hoping this rumor isn't true more than ever.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BlackWind

I 'm possibly willing to give Scott Lobdell a chance with Static.

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By krspaceT

@BlackWind: He's not that bad, as far as I know people are just over reacting to Tim Drake.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BlackWind

I liked Static's look far more in Teen Titans.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Black_Claw

Same here, I really didn't like statics design in his own comic.

thestarguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By thestarguy

@krspaceT: In that episode, It was Raquel who appeared, not Rocket. No costume, no powers. Plausible deniability.

thestarguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By thestarguy

@cattlebattle: I work in Broadcast, and we operate by a different set of rules, and have to answer to a number of different authorities, much more so than Apple/Itunes, et al. IF there was a legal problem, a broadcaster like Cartoon Network WOULD simply pull the show and replace it, until the contractual / legal difficulties were worked out, resolved and/or CLEARED. The potential fines that a broadcaster faces are FAR greater than whatever profit could be made, so they wouldn't risk it, period. Even worse, if a company (like Warner Bros/DC) tends to have too many of these "incidents", their chances of getting future contractual renewals with Cartoon Network (or any other station) goes WAY down. The option to do a partial broadcast was probably never in the original contract to begin with, so Green Lantern would be a causualty.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#49  Edited By Teerack

How the hell did Warner Bros. legal team let this happen?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By cattlebattle
    @thestarguy said:

@cattlebattle: I work in Broadcast, and we operate by a different set of rules, and have to answer to a number of different authorities, much more so than Apple/Itunes, et al. IF there was a legal problem, a broadcaster like Cartoon Network WOULD simply pull the show and replace it, until the contractual / legal difficulties were worked out, resolved and/or CLEARED. The potential fines that a broadcaster faces are FAR greater than whatever profit could be made, so they wouldn't risk it, period. Even worse, if a company (like Warner Bros/DC) tends to have too many of these "incidents", their chances of getting future contractual renewals with Cartoon Network (or any other station) goes WAY down. The option to do a partial broadcast was probably never in the original contract to begin with, so Green Lantern would be a causualty.

Well, I am happy for you and everything. However, it has been stated that the rights to usage in publishing and animation are different......and no Milestone characters appeared in the pulled episode anyways...Static did, but he was not named or even spoke.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.