Gap Teeth and Huge Sideburns

Posted by Joygirl (20851 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, when they gave Riddler stupid gap teeth and ridiculous sideburns, I was peeved. I like Riddler, I wanted him to (for one of the few times in his career) be treated with a modicum of respect. But no. Instead, we got this:

I was a bit angry. But Riddler didn't make too many appearances, so I tried to ignore how glaringly idiotic he looked and focus on the more charming aspects of the show.

But then, they crossed the line... Beast Boy, another character that I really like, has received the EXACT SAME TREATMENT.

Pretty much proving that this potent gap-teeth/sideburns combination is their recipe for Stupid. So why? Why do they continue to use it? To defile established characters with it?

Why?

WHY?

WHYYYYYYY?!

#1 Posted by Tunsieon (322 posts) - - Show Bio

Riddler looks like some creepy guy that hides in the bushes with a camera at the park you take your children to.

#2 Posted by Gambit1024 (10217 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, the designer responsible for these should be ashamed. ...And while we're talking about Beast Boy's design, did he ever look like that in the books? Furry and with a tail?

#3 Posted by Joygirl (20851 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

Yeah, the designer responsible for these should be ashamed. ...And while we're talking about Beast Boy's design, did he ever look like that in the books? Furry and with a tail?

Nope, he looked even less simian than in the Teen Titans cartoon. Basically just a normal person who was green.

#4 Posted by The_Tree (8513 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Beast Boy actually looks pretty good. Riddler, on the other hand looks stupid, although it's still miles better than his New 52 mohawk look.

#5 Edited by YoggSaron (812 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

Well, he doesn't actually look like that, as shown in the last episode. For some reason he just prefers to look like a monkey than look like a human.

And no, I don't recall him running around with a tail all the time.

#6 Posted by cattlebattle (14210 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither of them bother me, Phil Bourassa and Jerome K Moore, are great, creative artists. Why don't you worry about flipping burgers or whatever and let them worry about designing the characters

#7 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (14357 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it on Beast Boy. It highlights his youthful goofiness as well as his preferred animalistic form. Riddler looks like a Hip hop pedo bear though.

#8 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1743 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

I think Beast Boy actually looks pretty good. Riddler, on the other hand looks stupid, although it's still miles better than his New 52 mohawk look.

Yeah, Beast Boy looks sweet with that teeth gap ^3^ but the Riddler just looks like he needs URGENTLY a dentist :P

#9 Posted by ReclaimerM3GTR (38 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish they just took the ridler from the new Batman games.

#10 Posted by BlueArrow (284 posts) - - Show Bio

can't be worse then what they did to the Joker

#11 Posted by Joygirl (20851 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueArrow said:

can't be worse then what they did to the Joker

Now that I think about it, they gave him the sideburn treatment too.

#12 Posted by KenTheProfile (420 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl: relax, he is still respected but he is a big nerd, gap teeth is artistic short hand for nerd. the showv is very anime influanced the side burns and gap teeth is taken form lu[in the 3rd for the most part.

#13 Posted by cattlebattle (14210 posts) - - Show Bio
@KenTheProfile said:

@Joygirl: relax, he is still respected but he is a big nerd, gap teeth is artistic short hand for nerd. the showv is very anime influanced the side burns and gap teeth is taken form lu[in the 3rd for the most part.

This....and Beast Boy is based off of the Monkey King, Hank Mcoy and a little bit of Eddie Munster...according to Phil Bourassa, if it makes you feel any better the current New 52 Beast Boy has sideburns too.
#14 Posted by Gambit1024 (10217 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't they give Joker the teeth gap too?

#15 Posted by Joygirl (20851 posts) - - Show Bio

@KenTheProfile: @cattlebattle: I'm sure they had their reasons. But that doesn't make it not look silly.

@Gambit1024: Nah, his teeth are normal. Just the 'burns.

Also, now that I think about it, Lobo's mustache was increased so that it could meld into some big ol' sideburns.

#16 Posted by cattlebattle (14210 posts) - - Show Bio
@Joygirl said:

Also, now that I think about it, Lobo's mustache was increased so that it could meld into some big ol' sideburns.

Lots of characters had sideburns (Mammoth, Wotan, Vandal Savage, Brick Icicle Jr. and Sr.)...but some of them also have them in the comics...Lobo included...Its just the artists interpretation.
#17 Posted by papad1992 (7015 posts) - - Show Bio

Why the dogging on Beast Boy?... He's cute looking and sooo innocent!!

#18 Posted by thanobomb1124 (2035 posts) - - Show Bio
@Joygirl

Okay, when they gave Riddler stupid gap teeth and ridiculous sideburns, I was peeved. I like Riddler, I wanted him to (for one of the few times in his career) be treated with a modicum of respect. But no. Instead, we got this:

I was a bit angry. But Riddler didn't make too many appearances, so I tried to ignore how glaringly idiotic he looked and focus on the more charming aspects of the show.

But then, they crossed the line... Beast Boy, another character that I really like, has received the EXACT SAME TREATMENT.

Pretty much proving that this potent gap-teeth/sideburns combination is their recipe for Stupid. So why? Why do they continue to use it? To defile established characters with it?

Why?

WHY?

WHYYYYYYY?!

LMAO
#19 Posted by Bestostero (5782 posts) - - Show Bio

while im not a fan of Riddler's YJ design, i do think a lot of the other character designs are superb...Beast Boy being one of them...

#20 Posted by xerozeven (12 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm fine with BB's design. He seems like an innocent playful little kid. Riddler's design doesn't make him look very witty, though. He needs to look more... Riddler-y.

@Bestostero said:

while im not a fan of Riddler's YJ design, i do think a lot of the other character designs are superb...Beast Boy being one of them...

Yes. This.

#21 Posted by Beast_in_the_Shadows (433 posts) - - Show Bio

Beast Boy's design in the show is the least problematic thing about his portrayal. His past is completely different, his power origin is completely different, his powers them self work differently... Really the only thing I think they did right with him in this show is how they finally found a way to explain what happens to his costume when he changes shape (having it turn into a collar around the neck of his animal forms)

But on the bright side, at least he is still green.

#22 Posted by Vance Astro (89567 posts) - - Show Bio

This is actually the best design of the Riddler i've ever seen.The Riddler is a lame character anyway, let's not pretend his older designs were awesome.A green suit with a bunch of question marks isn't fly.

#23 Posted by BlackArmor (6213 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bestostero said:

this

#24 Posted by krspaceT (1882 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl: Its the Riddler....not Lex Luthor. If he had that look, then we'd be concerned.....or be laughing like manaics

#25 Posted by RogueOracle (254 posts) - - Show Bio

I say keep them away from the children....

#26 Posted by KainScion (2992 posts) - - Show Bio

sideburns they're cool now!!

#27 Posted by htb106 (1724 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I really don't like this version of the Riddler.

#28 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4928 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh god no...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.